• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

avaya

They won't give us single market access without the 4 freedoms. That would be a dangerous capitulation.

There's still a strong view in the city that this will be rolled back.

BoE contemplating fiscal QE as opposed to standard easing, but push backs may come from government. Carney is open to it. May involve supporting commercial property market, London resi and standard infrastructure bank type funding.

Moosichu

This, by the way, it what happens when you have a weak opposition. The governing party can veer to the extremes because there are no consequences for not doing so. This is far worse than Cameron's government, and almost indescribably worse than the Coalition.

:/ :/ :/ :/ :/ :/ :/ :/

I just can't see the light at the end of the tunnel for the opposition either :(

Acorn

God I hope somehow Sturgeon keeps us in Europe or we get independence. Fuck being dragged into and out of things by the knuckle dragger right.

This, by the way, it what happens when you have a weak opposition. The governing party can veer to the extremes because there are no consequences for not doing so. This is far worse than Cameron's government, and almost indescribably worse than the Coalition.

B-b-b-b-but democratic elected leader!!!!

Also, got wind that my job will be moving to the EU, probably Eastern Europe, pretty much as soon as we leave, if not sooner. Lovely.

tomtom94

:/ :/ :/ :/ :/ :/ :/ :/

I just can't see the light at the end of the tunnel for the opposition either :(

The opposition is an outdated concept (no wonder the Conservatives want to keep it around). If you mean the Labour party, they need to kick out anyone who might have ended up Conservative in another lifetime and most of Corbyn's side of the party for good measure.

So the UK actually does not want to be friends with Europe in the future?

Av2cAxQ.jpg

I just read this piece, it seems ludicrously optimistic.

This sentence stood out to me
David Davis said:
This means that some of the economic benefits of Brexit will materialise even before the probable formal departure from the EU around December 2018.
It suggests December 2016 as a potential a50 date, but it uses the qualifier "probable", it could just be saying the date might be different but to me sounds like there is already an admission of doubt as to whether it will happen at all.

Acorn

It would of happened regardless brexit has shown how far right wales and England have went.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
God I hope somehow Sturgeon keeps us in Europe or we get independence. Fuck being dragged into and out of things by the knuckle dragger right.

I'm very doubtful that a Scotland in the UK would be allowed to stay in Europe. You'd have to go independent, and then join. Which kind of fucks Scotland over, because your economy is an integral part of the UKs and leaving the "UK single market" would fuck your economy over more than leaving the EU single market would because the rUK takes two-thirds of Scotland's exports; and you'd be trading with the UK at WTO rates until the EU deal is settled.

So basically, we have fucked you over so badly the only way you can get away from us is to fuck yourselves even harder.

:D

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

May's speech made it pretty clear Scotland aren't getting another indyref. They voted to be part of the union and the union voted to leave the EU. That's that.

avaya

Johnson as foreign secretary is poetic. We are a laughing stock of a country, what better than a vainglorious charlatan masquerading as a clown with delusions of grandeur to be the foreign secretary.

theaface

So I've just finished binge watching seasons 5 and 6 of Game of Thrones. My conclusion is that politics in Westeros is far saner affair than in the UK right now. GoT spoiler:
Queen Theresa Lannister burning it all down with wildfire right now.

Acorn

I'm very doubtful that a Scotland in the UK would be allowed to stay in Europe. You'd have to go independent, and then join. Which kind of fucks Scotland over, because your economy is an integral part of the UKs and leaving the "UK single market" would fuck your economy over more than leaving the EU single market would because the rUK takes two-thirds of Scotland's exports; and you'd be trading with the UK at WTO rates until the EU deal is settled.

So basically, we have fucked you over so badly the only way you can get away from us is to fuck yourselves even harder.

You're right. Be worth it to be finally rid of being ruled by cunts we didn't vote for and being dragged out of/into things we didn't vote for in the future.

May's speech made it pretty clear Scotland aren't getting another indyref. They voted to be part of the union and the union voted to leave the EU. That's that.

Nope. Saying no to a second referendum is pretty much politically untenable if the Scottish Parliament votes for it. Saying no to Scotland's parliament isn't a good look. I can't see any way May can say no.

PJV3

I just read this piece, it seems ludicrously optimistic.

This sentence stood out to me

It suggests December 2016 as a potential a50 date, but it uses the qualifier "probable", it could just be saying the date might be different but to me sounds like there is already an admission of doubt as to whether it will happen at all.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who found it optimistic. He's in charge of it so I expect results.

Acorn

We can hold anything we want(not legally binding) and if she chooses to disregard it it'll only harden positions and we'll get there eventually. :)

dealer-

Johnson as foreign secretary is poetic. We are a laughing stock of a country, what better than a vainglorious charlatan masquerading as a clown with delusions of grandeur to be the foreign secretary.

He won't have to do fuck all though as the Brexit department will do most of the work.

Morat

Banned
You're right. Be worth it to be finally rid of being ruled by cunts we didn't vote for and being dragged out of/into things we didn't vote for in the future.

I reckon the more of a hard line May takes with Scotland the more chance there is of you guys actually leaving. And at this point, good luck! I wish I could join you.

Pandy

It feels like Boris has been appointed because Prince Phillip was too busy with his Royal duties.

I'm not sure I can think of anyone worse to represent the UK abroad.

Bedlam

I'm pretty sure the EU would find a quicker way to have Scotland join the union by itself since they have been a member already. I also can imagine some sort of economic program to soften the short term economic impact of splitting from the UK.

Acorn

I reckon the more of a hard line May takes with Scotland the more chance there is of you guys actually leaving. And at this point, good luck! I wish I could join you.
I agree also more the merrier, we need a bigger population. Anyone is welcome.

Funnily enough I haven't heard a single Tory who was on the cabinet say no, they aren't stupid sadly, well apart from BJ. They will try to drag it on and hope the fallout from Brexit eases in Scotland, but looking at the cabinet I think support for independence just went up especially with the foreign secretary appointment.

I must be dreaming. This is just some bizarre dream where the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is ruled by some crazy fools. It.can't.possibly.be.real.

Acorn

Funnily enough I haven't heard a single Tory who was on the cabinet say no, they aren't stupid sadly, well apart from BJ. They will try to drag it on and hope the fallout from Brexit eases in Scotland, but looking at the cabinet I think support for independence just went up especially with the foreign secretary appointment.
Plus Davidson has already said that the uk govt shouldn't block a independence ref if voted on by our parliament.

BigAl1992

Alex White ‏@AlexWhite1812 17m17 minutes ago
Brexiteers (Johnson, Davis, Fox) now responsible for UK foreign, EU & trade relations. Good use of the 'you break it, you own it' principle

Pretty much sums up how I feel about the events of today's cabinet choices.

Zaph

Alex White ‏@AlexWhite1812 17m17 minutes ago
Brexiteers (Johnson, Davis, Fox) now responsible for UK foreign, EU & trade relations. Good use of the 'you break it, you own it' principle

Pretty much sums up how I feel about the events of today's cabinet choices.

The only positive takeaway form this is the hint May knows Remainers can't be the ones to tell the public the Brexit of their dreams (single market + immigration controls) isn't possible. The reality has to come from the mouths of Leavers for the 52% to be able to accept it without thinking it's a screw job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom