• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.
06ehKqMl.png

An Ibushi/ZSJ final for the Cruiserweight Classic is all I have to look forward to now.

Polari

Surely Davis means 'as part of the whole bloc negotiations, this is what we'd give/take with each country, becoz of exports they want to sell us'.

Right?

Right?????

Certainly doesn't seem that way.

My favourite quote about Boris, from Ian Hislop:

Boris Johnson, people always ask me the same question, they say, 'Is Boris a very very clever man pretending to be an idiot?' And I always say, 'No.'

Acorn

We're not in hard-right land. Disagree, sure, but these labels mean things.
Look at that cabinet, it's not far right but it's clearly hard right. Everyone of them pretty much is on the right side of the Conservatives.

To quote Cameron "Swivel eyed loons"

suedester

Banned
Funny did just that and one of the first things I saw opposition to mass immigration....

Would you say Australia are far right? They restrict immigration. What about pretty much every country outside of the EU? Even countries within the EU restrict mass immigration to people from outside of it. I don't think wanting to control the numbers of people entering the country is a great way to define a country as moving to the far right.

Look at that cabinet, it's not far right but it's clearly hard right. Everyone of them pretty much is on the right side of the Conservatives.

To quote Cameron "Swivel eyed loons"

True it's getting closer and seeing signs painted on doors and windows, and postcards sent to people with stuff like go home foreigners, hardly eases my fears about England's political heading.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I hope David Davis gets what he thinks is Possible. Free trade agreements with about 10 countries before we leave and full access to the EU free trade area.

http://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2016/07/david-davis-trade-deals-tax-cuts-and-taking-time-before-triggering-article-50-a-brexit-economic-strategy-for-britain.html

The bolded would be illegal under EU law, which we have to abide by until we have left.

And to make it clear, it's illegal to enter negotiations with other countries, let alone actually make free trade agreements.

We've discussed this a few times, and I'm gradually coming to the conclusion we don't need to be too worried about it, as these prohibitions were put in place not anticipating that a country would seek to leave the EU. I suspect that we'll get something of a free pass on early negotiations.

Would you say Australia are far right? They restrict immigration. What about pretty much every country outside of the EU? Even countries within the EU restrict mass immigration to people from outside of it. I don't think wanting to control the numbers of people entering the country is a great way to define a country as moving to the far right.

So the huge increase in racism towards foreign people in England, isn't a sign that something is wrong, sure seems that way to me, but that's just my opinion, sure it's just a minority, but a definite growing one.

PJV3

We've discussed this a few times, and I'm gradually coming to the conclusion we don't need to be too worried about it, as these prohibitions were put in place not anticipating that a country would seek to leave the EU. I suspect that we'll get something of a free pass on early negotiations.

He still thinks he's going to get them done within a year or two, he's crazily optimistic with everything else going on.

Still I'm not an expert like Mr Davis.

BigAl1992

This pic is from his visit to Iraq in 2015:

Emails reveal headaches of Johnson trip — FT via @borzou
wlLkCEF.jpg

Again confirming what I'm thinking. May's put Boris in a high end job and if he delivers, she gets lauded for a masterstroke. If he fucks up, she gets to write him off as a mistake and pin most, if not all the blame on him. Win-Win for her.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think of it, it'd be a great time for Spitting Image to make a return. It's definetly help with all the gallows humour in the UK right now.

Anyone got reactions from Scottland yet? Really want to know how Sturgeon and the SNP/Scottish Parliament will react.

the scottish government will maintain good faith about attempts to keep scotland in the EU and the UK despite knowing it's impossible and then once this fails start talking about a 2nd indyref.

suedester

Banned
So the huge increase in racism towards foreign people in England, isn't a sign that something is wrong, sure seems that way to me, but that's just my opinion, sure it's just a minority, but a definite growing one.

Every country has a small racist element. It's a problem that needs to be dealt with obviously. The government in no way reflects that though.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
the government isn't far right. It's certainly hard right. David Davis is the Corbyn of the Conservative Party, for example.

Again confirming what I'm thinking. May's put Boris in a high end job and if he delivers, she gets lauded for a masterstroke. If he fucks up, she gets to write him off as a mistake and pin most, if not all the blame on him. Win-Win for her.

It's definitely a ploy to scupper Boris. He still has a lot of popularity within the party, and is the biggest threat to Theresa May. She doesn't want him to have any ground to regroup and gain momentum to one day unseat her.

As they say, keep your friends close...

Jezbollah

was pretty much verbatim BNP policy if i remember correctly. the new PM doesn't even rule out deporting existing EU citizens for god's sake.

And why would she? that would be bad negotiation. I recall she saying that the security and status of all EU citizens in this country would be assured once the status of British citizens in EU states are assured too.

PJV3

It's definitely a ploy to scupper Boris. He still has a lot of popularity within the party, and is the biggest threat to Theresa May. She doesn't want him to have any ground to regroup and gain momentum to one day unseat her.

As they say, keep your friends close...

I'm starting to get a bit fed up of Tory party bollocks, it's spoiling the outlook for my kids.

Every country has a small racist element. It's a problem that needs to be dealt with obviously. The government in no way reflects that though.

Yeah was thinking more of the English population, where some are clearly moving far right in general, than the government, though I'm sure there are some nutters in the Tory party similar to comrade Corbyn.

And why would she? that would be bad negotiation. I recall she saying that the security and status of all EU citizens in this country would be assured once the status of British citizens in EU states are assured too.

because it's utterly disgusting to imply that people who chose to come here could be thrown out because of a decision they weren't even allowed to vote in. their position should be safe irrespective of them being used as bargaining chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom