• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
So which two days do I need to pay £25 to vote for labour leader? I joined as a member after the referendum.

Was thinking of not bothering but if one of them will campaign for a 2nd ref it's worth it.

18th-19th

Acorn

So which two days do I need to pay £25 to vote for labour leader? I joined as a member after the referendum.

Was thinking of not bothering but if one of them will campaign for a 2nd ref it's worth it.
It's not a proper ref, just a ref on our exit deal. So wouldn't waste my time.

PJV3

Another idiot that doesn't understand how this works.
If we have a referendum on the Brexit deal which rejects the deal, we'll literally be asking to rejoin the EU from scratch, because the deal gets done after Article 50. It's the whole fucking point.

These people are our elected representatives. FFS.

Advice was given to a parliamentary committee that a falling government could offer a way out. It would depend on the rest of the EU being very very nice and the UK being politically humiliated.

Less than a one percent chance, but it's sort of there.

Advice was given to a parliamentary committee that a falling government could offer a way out. It would depend on the rest of the EU being very very nice and the UK being politically humiliated.

Judging by events this year, I'd say one percent is a high chance. Nothing seems impossible.

Everyday I check in on this thread to see if, yes, this is still such a hilariously sad clusterfuck that it feels like a nightmare. Yep.

There should be a reset button for you, UK.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Another idiot that doesn't understand how this works.
If we have a referendum on the Brexit deal which rejects the deal, we'll literally be asking to rejoin the EU from scratch, because the deal gets done after Article 50. It's the whole fucking point.

These people are our elected representatives. FFS.

It isn't that clear actually. This point was discussed in evidence to the Lords EU committee, and the answer is that nobody actually knows whether we could change our mind about leaving after invoking Art 50 but prior to actually leaving (and presumably prior to the 2-year deadline or any extension of it).

Edit: PJV3 beat me to it.

Calabi

http://www.conservativehome.com/pla...0-a-brexit-economic-strategy-for-britain.html

I only skimmed through this waffle, but I cant see where he explains what we do if we lose our financial passport. He seems to think WTO would be fine.

And I dont understand how planning it out that much even really helps. I mean all plans when they contact enemy have to be thrown out. And this plan isn't about building a bridge or anything, its negotiating which is all up in the air until you start negotiating, its almost like a war but with words.

I mean you have to be aware of your position and bargaining power, and if they aware and still go through with it they are dumb as shit(but I dont expect them to be aware of anything they are probably dumber than shit).

Corto

Just listened to Economist Money Talks from last Tuesday and Edward McBride painted a grim forecast for the last half of 2016 and 2017. We should expect technical recession in his opinion. And there are already some indicators that economy is slowing down, new jobs hiring decreasing, some data on planning applications that suggest that these are falling too so investment is halting or diminishing.

PJV3

It isn't that clear actually. This point was discussed in evidence to the Lords EU committee, and the answer is that nobody actually knows whether we could change our mind about leaving after invoking Art 50 but prior to actually leaving (and presumably prior to the 2-year deadline or any extension of it).

Edit: PJV3 beat me to it.

It has to be that vague on purpose.
It's really only there to keep people like Farage happy, it stops the EU holding a country hostage that wants out.

Pandy

Interesting, still doesn't sound like the sort of thing he should be standing on though.
I mean, obviously the Labour leadership election is going to be a disaster anyway, but the idea that people might actually vote for him on this... then realise that he won't be in power when the deal is done. I'm sure that'll go down well.

More posts from my social media

BgsdDIN.png

He sounds like someone who's up to his neck...

May could be playing a blinder here, potential to ruin Fox, Davis and Johnson here, when they might have to explain to folk why we ended up on WTO rules and fucked up the economy, she can still turn round and say told you so.

Acorn

May could be playing a blinder here, potential to ruin Fox, Davis and Johnson here, when they might have to explain to folk why we ended up on WTO rules and fucked up the economy, she can still turn round and say told you so.
Still can't believe the leave campaign pretended wto rules were great. Everyone loves tariffs.

norinrad

Every EU country is going to protect their interests by signing a trade deal with the UK, but I'm sure someone is going to show up here to tell me that's not how the EU works:).

Juicy Bob

Even Cher is laughing at us.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/cher/status/753330253490106368[/tweet]

EDIT: I thought we had Tweet embedding now?

PJV3

Even Cher is laughing at us.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/NickJWReilly/status/753306286834548736[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/cher/status/753309026427867136[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/cher/status/753330253490106368[/tweet]

She said Farage is a Tosser, I might have to rethink my opinion.

Acorn

Every EU country is going to protect their interests by signing a trade deal with the UK, but I'm sure someone is going to show up here to tell me that's not how the EU works:).
It isn't they negotiate as a bloc and you're super special deal needs to not get vetoed by EU and economic area countries. But live in cloud cuckoo land, it's post fact times after all.

Hazzuh

"Interesting" article which shows David Davis' mindset regarding Brexit. Should be a depressing read for anyone hoping for EEA.

Single market access – and why we should take time before triggering Article 50.

This leaves the question of Single Market access. The ideal outcome, (and in my view the most likely, after a lot of wrangling) is continued tariff-free access. Once the European nations realise that we are not going to budge on control of our borders, they will want to talk, in their own interest. There may be some complexities about rules of origin and narrowly-based regulatory compliance for exports into the EU, but that is all manageable.

But what if it they are irrational, as so many Remain-supporting commentators asserted they would be in the run up to the referendum?

This is one of the reasons for taking a little time before triggering Article 50. The negotiating strategy has to be properly designed, and there is some serious consultation to be done first. Constitutional propriety requires us to consult with the Scots, Welsh, and Northern Irish governments first, and common sense implies that we should consult with stakeholders like the City, CBI, TUC, small business bodies, the NFU, universities and research foundations and the like. None of them should have any sort of veto, but we should try to accommodate their concerns so long as it does not compromise the main aim. This whole process should be completed to allow triggering of Article 50 before or by the beginning of next year.

In this process, we should work out what we do in the improbable event of the EU taking a dog in the manger attitude to Single Market tariff free access, and insist on WTO rules and levies, including 10 per cent levies on car exports. Let us be clear: I do not believe for a moment that that will happen, but let us humour the pre-referendum Treasury fantasy.

In that eventuality, people seem to forget that the British government will be in receipt of over £2 billion of levies on EU cars alone. There is nothing to stop us supporting our indigenous car industry to make it more competitive if we so chose.

WTO rules would not allow us to explicitly offset the levies charged, but we could do a great deal to support the industry if we wanted to. Research support, investment tax breaks, lower vehicle taxes – there are a whole range of possibilities to protect the industry, and if need be, the consumer. Such a package would naturally be designed to favour British consumers and British industry. Which of course is another reason that the EU will not force this outcome, particularly if we publicise it heavily in a pre-negotiation White Paper.

PJV3

Lol, were still pretending it's the EU who are being awkward. At least psycho Gove was honest about it, WTO and go.

tomtom94

The sticking point seems to be freedom of refugees rather than freedom of movement, due the Daily Express's excellent work conflating the two.

Fuck me. It just gets worse and worse and worse and worse. Everytime you think we've managed to sink to a new low, we somehow dig deeper into an even shittier outcome.

It's like when you read about some historical event and laugh and wonder how stupid people would have to be to allow themselves to be placed in such a situation; but now I get to live through a historical hot mess unravelling right in front of me. I can't turn away. It's amazing.

Maledict

We are not a manufacturing nation. Why do these stupid brexit fuckwits continue going on about fucking cars when our entire economy is based on the service industry - which gets *zero* access under WTO rules.

I know we like to think we make stuff, and we do - but we can't base our economy on it, it's just not how the country works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom