• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

norinrad

We are not a manufacturing nation. Why do these stupid brexit fuckwits continue going on about fucking cars when our entire economy is based on the service industry - which gets *zero* access under WTO rules.

I know we like to think we make stuff, and we do - but we can't base our economy on it, it's just not how the country works.

You actually used to make stuff but the union's and Mrs Thatcher ended up destroying it as they both refused to back down.

More posts from my social media

BgsdDIN.png

They can go fuck themselves. If they can't stump up 25 quid to vote on something that will effect the nation for potentially a decade, they are even more pompus petulant pricks than I originally thought.

As I keep saying. This is not a university debate where we pick a class president. The nature of the opposition and subsequent GE campaign is going to have a significant impact on people's lives.

You can take your leftish idological purity and shove it up your backside. We need strong credible opposition now more than ever before in my life time and many others.

If that means doing a deal with a demon to unsurp the devil, so be it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Every EU country is going to protect their interests by signing a trade deal with the UK, but I'm sure someone is going to show up here to tell me that's not how the EU works:).

Every EU country will try to protect their interests in the internal negotiations within EU about the trade deal with UK. In the negotiations between UK and EU there is only one point of view from EU.

And statements from the people who matter a bit in EU are all converging towards the same thing, no access to single market without respecting the 4 freedoms. Even the representative of the German cars manufacturers stated that there can't be free trade without freedom of movement.

They can go fuck themselves. If they can't stump up 25 quid to vote on something that will effect the nation for potentially a decade, they are even more pompus petulant pricks than I originally thought.

As I keep saying. This is not a university debate where we pick a class president. The nature of the opposition and subsequent GE campaign is going to have a significant impact on people's lives.

You can take your leftish idological purity and shove it up your backside. We need strong credible opposition now more than ever before in my life time and many others.

This is where I am. I want a social democrat leader. I also want someone from that background IN POWER.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

£25 is a fair amount of money to some people; a lot to spend for a single vote that they might feel is unlikely to tip the balance.

Uzzy

We are not a manufacturing nation. Why do these stupid brexit fuckwits continue going on about fucking cars when our entire economy is based on the service industry - which gets *zero* access under WTO rules.

I know we like to think we make stuff, and we do - but we can't base our economy on it, it's just not how the country works.

40 years of underinvestment sure did wonders for the manufacturing sector. But sure, we should focus entirely on what benefits the service industry, so that the countries economy becomes even more lopsided while London sees all the investment and benefits and wealth. I guess the rest of the country gets to just wither and die.

Nothing new there.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I wonder if there will be some reaction on the markets tomorrow, I think the team of negotiators is a bit more extreme than everybody expected, EEA deal doesn't look so sure now.

But probably people will just go for wait and see now.

norinrad

I wonder if there will be some reaction on the markets tomorrow, I think the team of negotiators is a bit more extreme than everybody expected, EEA deal doesn't look so sure now.

But probably people will just go for wait and see now.

Currently we have a storm coming in Italy and that could get ugly. A wait and see approach by all involved is the best way to look at things right now.

pigeon

Banned
Hot take: the only purpose of this Labour leadership challenge is for the remaining Labour MPs to take all the 25 pound poll tax payments and move to Canada.

Hasney

You can go fuck yourself if you're not going to pay that money for everyone that literally can't afford it. I assume we all have infinite money.

Is that how this works? We just tell everyone who doesn't have enough money to do something to go fuck themselves? That feels more like a right party policy to me...

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Until we get our ridiculous expectations literally thrown back in our faces and the door slammed shut, brexit supporters will continue chest bearing and going 'bwargh Europe need our trade' and ignoring the reality

oti

Banned
On one hand it's sad to see a once great nation's political system falling into utter chaos and displaying such incompetence.
On the other hand holy shit what are you doing.

Lucreto

The UK Brexit minister apparently doesn't know that the UK doesn't negotiate trade deals with individual EU countries but the EU bloc as a whole.

Amazing. AMAZING.

May: How did the trade negotiations go?

Davis: Very well, I got these magic beans.

May: Magic Beans?

Davis: Yes, we plant them around to prevent immigrants from entering the country.

May: We are an Island you dolt.

Corto

40 years of underinvestment sure did wonders for the manufacturing sector. But sure, we should focus entirely on what benefits the service industry, so that the countries economy becomes even more lopsided while London sees all the investment and benefits and wealth. I guess the rest of the country gets to just wither and die.

Nothing new there.

UK won't turn into a manufacturing based economy in todays world overnight not even in a decade. The rest of the country will wither more quickly as London falls.

£25 is a fair amount of money to some people; a lot to spend for a single vote that they might feel is unlikely to tip the balance.

Then don't bother. I have zero interest in the people that disengaged with reality that they think paying 25 pound is a significant enough barrier.

If it means that much to you, you will beg borrow or steal to find that money.

The nerve of someone complaining that £25 limits them, posting on Facebook from their £300+ phone. Fuck off.

suedester

Banned
Until we get our ridiculous expectations literally thrown back in our faces and the door slammed shut, brexit supporters will continue chest bearing and going 'bwargh Europe need our trade' and ignoring the reality

The reality is Europe does need our trade. That doesn't make the negotiations easy of course but we do import an awful fucking lot from the EU.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Then don't bother. I have zero interest in the people that disengaged with reality that they think paying 25 pound is a significant enough barrier.

If it means that much to you, you will beg borrow or steal to find that money.

The nerve of someone complaining that £25 limits them, posting on Facebook from their £300+ phone. Fuck off.

But people already paid their membership and joined. I imagine they expected to get a years membership from that, with the ability to vote on party matters. I expect that was probably in the information provided when they signed up.

It doesn't matter if it's £5, £25 or £500 - this is an artificial barrier being put in the way of legitimate Labour Party members to try and reduce the number of new 2016 members from voting in the upcoming leadership election. Presumably a lot of those new members would be likely to vote for Corbyn so it does suggest an attempt to sway the vote.

Mattenth

I wish those political betting sites would take odds on the UK invoking article 50 before the end of the year.

How certain is it now that the UK is leaving?

But people already paid their membership and joined. I imagine they expected to get a years membership from that, with the ability to vote on party matters. I expect that was probably in the information provided when they signed up.

It doesn't matter if it's £5, £25 or £500 - this is an artificial barrier being out in the way of legitimate Labour Party members to try and reduce the number of new 2016 members from voting in the upcoming leadership election. Presumably a lot of those new members would be likely to vote for Corbyn so it does suggest an attempt to sway the vote.

Agreed. The amount itself is irrelevant - it's the principle of increasing it in a blatant move at swaying the vote in a certain direction. It's gross, and I say that as someone who does not want Corbyn as leader.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The reality is Europe does need our trade. That doesn't make the negotiations easy of course but we do import an awful fucking lot from the EU.

Sure. Lovely. But what is being suggested is against all current agreements - it's beyond what Norway has for instance. We want zero tariffs, fire access to the EU marketplace, continued passporting of financial services into Europe - all of the benefits of free trade; but we don't want any of the freedoms that are fundamental to the EU. Those are obviously additional costs to companies and governments so not being beholden to them is a clear benefit to us effort an uneven playing field. Further, if we were granted such a deal, it would quite possibly unravel other countries within the the EU who will resent us getting a better deal outside of Europe than those inside. Likewise EEA members will likely cause a big stink.

Acorn

Agreed. The amount itself is irrelevant - it's the principle of increasing it in a blatant move at swaying the vote in a certain direction. It's gross, and I say that as someone who does not want Corbyn as leader.
Be hilarious when they get eagle then finally remember she's fucking dire as hell.

Has anybody mentioned yet that Boris Johnson is now in charge of MI6?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_Intelligence_Service

My brain hurts.

Good days to be a UK secret agent. A PM who'll actively encourage more spying activities, and a Secretary of State overseeing the department that can be lied to and bamboozled with impunity.

MI6 suddenly have a free(er) reign to get up to whatever they like in the world. (And I'm directing this at our "friends" and "neighbours").

suedester

Banned
Sure. Lovely. But what is being suggested is against all current agreements - it's beyond what Norway has for instance. We want zero tariffs, fire access to the EU marketplace, continued passporting of financial services into Europe - all of the benefits of free trade; but we don't want any of the freedoms that are fundamental to the EU. Those are obviously additional costs to companies and governments so not being beholden to them is a clear benefit to us effort an uneven playing field. Further, if we were granted such a deal, it would quite possibly unravel other countries within the the EU who will resent us getting a better deal outside of Europe than those inside. Likewise EEA members will likely cause a big stink.

Of course we aren't going to be able to negotiate the perfect deal. You can't have all the positives of the single market and none of the "negatives". We do have the odd ace in our hand though and more than likely a better hand than that of say Norway for example.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Good days to be a UK secret agent. A PM who'll actively encourage more spying activities, and a Secretary of State overseeing the department that can be lied to and bamboozled with impunity.

MI6 suddenly have a free(er) reign to get up to whatever they like in the world. (And I'm directing this at our "friends" and "neighbours").

Good news for manufacturers of pens though.

It doesn't matter if it's £5, £25 or £500 - this is an artificial barrier being out in the way of legitimate Labour Party members to try and reduce the number of new 2016 members from voting in the upcoming leadership election. Presumably a lot of those new members would be likely to vote for Corbyn so it does suggest an attempt to sway the vote.

Membership they already let lapse.

Lives are literally at stake here. If you are that commited to keep your unelectable ideologue in power, in the name of "social justice", for damn sure it should cost more than a Starbucks and cinnamon bun.

If £25 is too much for you, it's not important enough. It's that simple.

I have no problem with making corybnites put their time and money where their mouths are. Maybe they might realise the severity of the situation if they have to sacrifice for it.

Hasney

Be hilarious when they get eagle then finally remember she's fucking dire as hell.

Corbyn is going to win anyway, so she's not getting anything. She literally is worse though.

Owen Smith might be slightly better than either, but he'll just split the got between him and Eagle and Cprbyn will win easily.

Angela Eagle reacting to the Boris news https://amp.twimg.com/v/cb7cf4ab-5a04-4941-b7dc-e59869efa8a6

You might want to watch this.

For she's awful. It's so funny seeing the entire point she was trying to make of Boris never being given an important job derailed though.

Membership they already let lapse.

Lives are literally at stake here. If you are that commited to keep your unelectable ideologue in power, in the name of "social justice", for damn sure it should cost more than a Starbucks and cinnamon bun.

If £25 is too much for you, it's not important enough. It's that simple.

I have no problem with making corybnites put their time and money where their mouths are. Maybe they might realise the severity of the situation if they have to sacrifice for it.

Well I mean this has nothing to do with "Corbynites" since I'm sure a lot of people signed up to get rid of him, and more would be interested in voting once they see who the candidates are.

You're right though, there's a childhood obesity problem anyway. They should take some food of their children's plate to vote!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

So you're going to stop importing from EU if you don't get a good deal or just pay more for the goods you need?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom