• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie7

Banned
CnQ9QGPWAAASkaJ.jpg

PJV3

Really?! The heart weeps.

How could you, Great Britain. I'm very disappointed in you.

God damn. When Weetabix, a cereal that's about as British as the country cottage in the middle of England is own by the Chinese Government, you know you're absolutely fucked. I thought I heard it all today, but god damn is that not a fact and a half. UK, you have my sympathies about where this is all going, but I'm going to sign out for tonight. Try not to go too crazy on us till tomorrow morning at least.

I didn't think today could get any more grim.

Please tell me Kinder Surprise is still banned in the US? I need that win.

At least we can put the Boris news and the trifling matter of the economy in perspective.

Communist cereals.

chadskin

Brexit now affecting beloved British motorsports:
The Welsh Government has refused to back the latest plan put forward to fund the building of the Circuit of Wales in Ebbw Vale.

According to BBC Wales, the suggested funding proposal for the potential MotoGP venue carries an “unacceptable” level of risk to taxpayers, and that “further work is needed” for the $487million venture to be underwritten.

The Circuit of Wales originally signed a five-year contract with MotoGP promoter Dorna Sports to host the series starting from 2015, with Donington Park standing in during CoW's construction phase.

However, a deal was subsequently reached for the British MotoGP round to remain at Silverstone for a further two years until CoW could take over in 2017.

The Welsh Government’s Economy Secretary Ken Skates told Assembly Members that it could not back plans in light of the “significant economic uncertainty” following Britain’s recent referendum choice to exit the European Union.
http://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/circuit-of-wales-plan-hits-fresh-government-setback-798499/

Arksy

You guys seem to be reacting rather poorly to the appointment of a guy that a mere week or two ago was looking to be PM....

Just sayin'

I'm not sure what's incongruous about that. Unless the selfsame people were eager for the oaf to be Prime Minister and would have reacted positively to that.

US Stdepartment Spokesman reacts to news of Boris' appointment.
3hh1nRD.gif

https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=...ndEAXcHo10owq6GVLKlKRw&bvm=bv.126993452,d.d24

badly beaten by chadskin, sorry. :p

Not incongruous at all, I just find it odd that others are shocked that he got a high level portfolio.

Honestly any other cabinet post would have been more acceptable than foreign secretary....

Stuart444

Watching "Good Morning Britain"

A lot of positive spinning going on.

I went to sleep at 3pm yesterday and woke up at 5am.

And I have woken up to something that I would expect to see in the Onion or Monty Python.

And I'm still laughing at the Boris stuff. Hahahahaha... oh man.

This is a great advertisement for Scotland to leave if there is another indie ref lol.

norinrad

The EU can afford going into all out trade war with Russia and people think they can't afford to cut out the UK completely? People think that the UK has any leverage what so ever? The EU is looking forward to bringing the banks over too.

Well... well... well...

That all out war did hurt a lot of businesses with even German and Dutch companies pressuring their governments through the backdoor to lighten things up. There won't be a trade war with the UK or any NATO member, stop dreaming.

Hasney

Not incongruous at all, I just find it odd that others are shocked that he got a high level portfolio.

I mean, if you have to give him something, you should at oleast play to his strengths. Obviously, there's no seceratary of buffoonery, but at the very least, maybe don't give foreign seceratary to someone who's favourite pastime is insulting Johnny Forigener.

Honestly any other cabinet post would have been more acceptable than foreign secretary....

Agreed. What message are we sending to the world by putting that clown out there as our chief diplomat? God help us.

All we need now is for Gove to return to Education and the clusterfuck of our once beloved country will be complete.

Arksy

I mean, if you have to give him something, you should at oleast play to his strengths. Obviously, there's no seceratary of buffoonery, but at the very least, maybe don't give foreign seceratary to someone who's favourite pastime is insulting Johnny Forigener.

A charismatic, popular guy with such leadership capability that he basically single highhandedly won the referendum for the Leave side? Despite a huge poll margin to begin with? Yeah, you're right, should've been PM.

Jisgsaw

We do have the odd ace in our hand though and more than likely a better hand than that of say Norway for example.

You do know Norway is one of the major energy supplier (oil and gas) for the EU, so that they thus had arguably a much better hand than the UK?

KonradLaw

My overall point though is that French winemakers won't be too happy with reduced exports to Britain and will pressure the French government during any negotiations.

But other French alcohol producers might not.France wants to overtake Scotland as the biggest producer of whisky. Making life hard for the whole UK in trading with EU would make achieving this goal a lot easier.

Hasney

A charismatic, popular guy with such leadership capability that he basically single highhandedly won the referendum for the Leave side? Despite a huge poll margin to begin with? Yeah, you're right, should've been PM.

You'd think someone with such brilliant credentials would have had no problem seeing off a former lapdog like Gove and throw his hat in the ring to do just that, but alas...

Pretty shrewd move by May as it pretty much stops a leadership challenge from Boris as he couldn't refuse the job without looking stupid and it is the worst suited position for him. So either he lets the mask slip and stops being fun Boris, or he looks incompetent in a very important position.

All the while our foreign relations get worse. Fun times.

Bold One

The reality is Europe does need our trade. That doesn't make the negotiations easy of course but we do import an awful fucking lot from the EU.

The reality is we need Europe more than it needs us, 27 other sovereign states beats one small ego-maniacal island with delusions of grandeur, living in the past being overrun by small-minded bigots, idiots and opportunists...

I wake up every day and if all feels like one elaborate and expensive prank.

KonradLaw

You'd think someone with such brilliant credentials would have had no problem seeing off a former lapdog like Gove and throw his hat in the ring to do just that, but alas...

Pretty shrewd move by May as it pretty much stops a leadership challenge from Boris as he couldn't refuse the job without looking stupid and it is the worst suited position for him. So either he lets the mask slip and stops being fun Boris, or he looks incompetent in a very important position.

All the while our foreign relations get worse. Fun times.

yesminister4.gif

It's kind of funny how much less of a parody and more of dramedy Yes Minister is these days. :D

Looking at Twitter, Hammond is saying this morning that we'll leave the single market, but still wants to have access to it.

Not entirely sure how that looks and how it squares with the banking passport but suspect the answer is it doesn't.

8bit

Knows the Score
I'm in Slovenia for business this week, happened to speak with a Romanian guy last night. I say I spoke with him, it was mostly him laughing like a drain exclaiming BORIS FUCKING JOHNSON. YOU GUYS CRAZY ISLAND.

YoungFa

Agreed. What message are we sending to the world by putting that clown out there as our chief diplomat? God help us.

All we need now is for Gove to return to Education and the clusterfuck of our once beloved country will be complete.
Its not like you have a deep bench to chose from. Your whole political class is trash, especially when it comes to international affairs.

Hasney

Its not like you have a deep bench to chose from. Your whole political class is trash, especially when it comes to international affairs.

But of the known quantities, you probably couldn't do worse than Boris in that specific position.

There's an article on BBC today that basically shows the world mostly mocking us.

You aren't going to stop importing from the EU entirely, but if another country is willing to negotiate better terms with lower tariffs or even free trade then naturally you will start importing goods from them instead.

That all out war did hurt a lot of businesses with even German and Dutch companies pressuring their governments through the backdoor to lighten things up. There won't be a trade war with the UK or any NATO member, stop dreaming.

Trade war.? No.
Access to EU market without Freedom of Movement? No.

So the highest chance is that we will go back to WTO rules.

PJV3

Trade war.? No.
Access to EU market without Freedom of Movement? No.

So the highest chance is that we will go back to WTO rules.

I think it's possible the EU fudges a deal with the UK, but it will not be about UK leverage. it will be about stopping our country going off the rails and becoming another problem at the edge of the European border.

Nothing odd about it at all. He's never held a government role before, and has suddenly been handed one of, if not the most senior post in the land after the PM job. He is consistently gaffe-prone, rude and entirely unsuited to a role as a diplomat.

A lot of people close to May do not like or trust Boris, and there's a good chance May doesn't either, which makes the appointment all the more surprising and unexpected. Personally I continue to suspect this role is intended to be a millstone for Boris, which would be pretty smart politicking on May's behalf, and in line with how she generally operates.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I'm going to look positive today. Today might be the day we get rid of Jeremy Hunt as health secretary.

I'm sure he'll go now, we're about due for a brief conciliatory period with the unions before the next major round of privatisation after the next general election. They did the same thing with Gove at education.

dumbo

Personally I continue to suspect this role is intended to be a millstone for Boris, which would be pretty smart politicking on May's behalf, and in line with how she generally operates.

May wants "brexit" dealt with by brexiters so there is no suggestion that anyone else ruined their masterplan.

kmag

In news which will surprise no one. Blackrock, by value the worlds biggest asset manager, new base case is for a recession in the UK.

Brexit will contribute to uncertainty that will damage growth prospects, the world's largest asset manager has said

Britain will be plunged into a recession this year and be plagued with lower economic growth for another five because of the shock decision for the UK to leave the EU, BlackRock analysts have said.

BlackRock is the largest asset manager in the world with $4.6 trillion under management as of 2015. Richard Turnill, chief investment strategist, has said that firm's "base case" is recession, meaning at a minimum, it expects the UK GDP to fall for two successive quarters in a row.

"Our base case is we will have a recession," Turnill told reporters at a meeting on Tuesday.

Lego Boss

Nothing odd about it at all. He's never held a government role before, and has suddenly been handed one of, if not the most senior post in the land after the PM job. He is consistently gaffe-prone, rude and entirely unsuited to a role as a diplomat.

A lot of people close to May do not like or trust Boris, and there's a good chance May doesn't either, which makes the appointment all the more surprising and unexpected. Personally I continue to suspect this role is intended to be a millstone for Boris, which would be pretty smart politicking on May's behalf, and in line with how she generally operates.

Interesting that BloJO was actually in favour of the EU before he gambled the whole sorry state of the Union on his unilateral wet dream. Would this have had any bearing on May's decision?

Izuna

Banned
I hate this country tbh.

My family is in Blackpool -- so I'm up here and see a few super racist anti-Muslim stickers with the English flag behind it, essentially saying "castrate muslim child rapists"

So much that I actually dislike the English flag. And as a super mixed raced dude who has only ever lived here, that means I feel like I don't belong even where I was born (and both parents were).

I went for a walk for about 4 hours and came across no other ethnicity, I was the only non-white along the beach, and not thinking much about it, I held the door open for 4 old ladies at some point... They took a look at me and scoffed.

This vote has really screwed over so many things, and it has uncovered so much bullshit that was best hidden under the rug and never spoken about.

This is reassuring

CnT-Fo1WAAA9SvT.jpg:large

morons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom