• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is reassuring

CnT-Fo1WAAA9SvT.jpg:large

Mmm, what's that old adage about having cakes and eating them?

So much that I actually dislike the English flag.

It's very sad, but I've held a subconscious association between St Georges cross and far-right (BNP?) nationalism for a number of years now. I'm actually embarrassed when I see my countries flag hanging from bedroom windows - my assumption at the message that's being sent is entirely negative.

Izuna

Banned
It's very sad, but I've held a subconscious association between St Georges cross and far-right (BNP?) nationalism for a number of years now. I'm actually embarrassed when I see my countries flag hanging from bedroom windows - my assumption at the message that's being sent is entirely negative.

Like, I hope it's about football, because whenever it isn't it's a symbol of hate.

It's basically our equivalent of these:

dumbo

Oh well...
Philip Hammon said:
We will come out of the single market as a result of our decision to leave the European Union. The question is how we negotiate with the European Union, not from the point of view of being members but from the point of view of being close neighbours and trade partners.

Dougald

I hate this country tbh.

My family is in Blackpool -- so I'm up here and see a few super racist anti-Muslim stickers with the English flag behind it, essentially saying "castrate muslim child rapists"

So much that I actually dislike the English flag. And as a super mixed raced dude who has only ever lived here, that means I feel like I don't belong even where I was born (and both parents were).

I went for a walk for about 4 hours and came across no other ethnicity, I was the only non-white along the beach, and not thinking much about it, I held the door open for 4 old ladies at some point... They took a look at me and scoffed.

This vote has really screwed over so many things, and it has uncovered so much bullshit that was best hidden under the rug and never spoken about.

morons

I'm sorry you had to go through that. I know the area a little as that's where my mothers side of the family comes from, lets just say there is a reason they all moved away.

I've unfortunately never met anyone who flies an English flag outside of the world cup who didn't conform to this stereotype.

chadskin

Circuit of Wales is a shit deal for the taxpayer with or without Brexit frankly.

They went from 100% taxpayer unwritten to 75%. It's still a massive punt.

Race circuits are probably a shit deal for the taxpayer everywhere and rarely lead to the desired effect of attracting enough tourists to the region to at least break even on the investment indirectly.

But it's telling even the (Welsh) government cites the uncertain future of the UK to stifle investment for now.

I'm the same, the flag has been hijacked by nationalists to the point where I assume the worst if you're flying one and there's no football on.

This is reassuring

As I've said before, there is no mandate end freedom of movement, just because the majority voted leave and the majority of those voters would want to end it. The problem is, how to make this sentiment official. Even though rest of Europe have been incredibly clear on the four freedoms some deluded people think they can be coerced in negotiation (with what leverage?).

edit: oh look the deluded are 52%, how fitting

This is reassuring

lol, this is all playing out exactly like it did in Switzerland two years ago. And when I say exactly, I really mean exactly:

- Vote on referendum to restrict freedom of movement because OMG, MASS IMMIGRATION!!! and FUCK YEAH, TAKE BACK NATIONAL SOVEREIGNTY!!!
- Ignore expert warnings that there inevitably will be no access to the single market without freedom of movement because, lol, EU's surely gonna negotiate...
- Vote results come in and the EU is all like: Nope, not negotiating. No freedom of movement means no single market access.
- As the realization slowly sets in, opinion polls start to move from "Stop all the immigrants!" towards "Well, erm, maybe retaining access to the single market might be more important after all than that whole immigration thing..."
- ????
- Profit

I guess Switzerland was the practice run for the EU negotiators. They're probably as ready as they'll ever be.

Anth1888

As a Scot that seems bewildering to me. To many up here we love our flag and it's more a symbol of patriotism and heritage over a hate symbol. I've only really seen the St George's flag used in that manner in This is Engalnd holding that same right wing principle.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I still think access to the Single Market with freedom of movement is a possibility. It's certainly more likely than access to the Single Market with restrictions on movement that's for sure.

It is, but it will take a long time to negotiate and will probably only happen after a period of trading under WTO rules, which will bleed out the country.

pigeon

Banned
I think it's about time we get all these much hated experts together and figure out something better than democracy

Democracy is fine. Just, you need some experts in there too. That's why people use representative democracy instead of holding referendums on complicated questions and assuming everybody will carefully learn about all the benefits and drawbacks and cast the appropriate vote.

pigeon

Banned
It is, but it will take a long time to negotiate and will probably only happen after a period of trading under WTO rules, which will bleed out the country.

I mean, if opinion stays like this it's a very strong case for just not Brexiting. It's clear that even after the vote people don't actually want the consequences of the vote, in general.

kmax

hakeem-got-jokes-o.gif

Such deluded fools. In case it wasn't apparent to these brexit idiots: No, there will be no access to the single market without freedom of movement. Not now, not ever. No amount of negotiation is going to change that fact. If you want to leave the EU, go right ahead, but realize that there are consequences.

kmag

Hopefully!

The funny thing is by all accounts he was actually considered by the civil servants and people on both sides of the prison 'industry' to be doing a pretty good job in his current role. At least he was taking a serious look at reform in a way.

Westminster practically doing all the Indy 2 campaign work for SNP. We don't even need any convincing.

Westminster is actually doing the whole of Europe a big service at the moment. I mean, the EU is suddenly seen as a sensible and worthwhile institution. That hasn't happened in like ... forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom