• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

suedester

Banned
The funny thing is by all accounts he was actually considered by the civil servants and people on both sides of the prison 'industry' to be doing a pretty good job in his current role. At least he was taking a serious look at reform in a way.

He was a pretty good justice secretary by all accounts. My sister is a teacher and despises him, heh. BBC reporting he's been sacked.

Hilarious really, those are jobs the area badly needs (though in fairness, the plan has never really looked that realistic).

Funnily enough, I was cycling around the valleys last weekend and lost count of the number of blue signs showing EU investment. I'm guessing maybe the locals are colour blind and they just fade into the background.

I wonder if the workers handling the heads of the valleys road upgrade voted out.

CnT-3-9WYAAEWQ2.jpg
a315c12594a81378b5bd70575895e829.jpg

Meadows

Banned
On Boris, while I'm not happy with his appointment, he isn't an idiot. He's actually one of the most intelligent politicians in parliament.

I think people have this image of him being a buffoon, which is true, but he's a smart one.

tomtom94

Nicky Morgan also expected to be out of government. Never pick a fight with a teacher.

(This is also, of course, a disaster, as she was pretty centrist as they go)

Maledict

The funny thing is by all accounts he was actually considered by the civil servants and people on both sides of the prison 'industry' to be doing a pretty good job in his current role. At least he was taking a serious look at reform in a way.

That's because Grayling was possibly the worst minister in living memory. No joke, he was honestly *that* bad. Everything he touched turned to shit, and he honestly didn't seem to understand anything about his area or even care to learn.

Gove looked good simply because he wasn't Grayling, and because he started to unpick what grayling had done.

The fact that grayling is almost certainly coming back is so terrifying. Whichever department gets him is fucked.

PJV3

On Boris, while I'm not happy with his appointment, he isn't an idiot. He's actually one of the most intelligent politicians in parliament.

I think people have this image of him being a buffoon, which is true, but he's a smart one.

He's a liar and a cheat, we should have higher standards. His posh Norman Wisdom routine is neither here nor there.

Meadows

Banned
He's a liar and a cheat, we should have higher standards. His posh Norman Wisdom routine is neither here nor there.

I know, I dislike him intensely, but there seems to be a view that he's an idiot - but he's actually amazingly intelligent.

Maledict

He is smart, but he's also at the same time a racist idiot. His previous comments and behaviour make him totally unsuitable for the foreign secretary role, and regardless of how clever a move it is internally to manage Tory party politics, it looks bad for the country.

I mean, she has completely gutted the foreign office to try and minimise his impact. Brexit is handled by David and foreign trade by Fox - that leaves the foreign office weaker than it ever has been. The two biggest foreign policy challenges for the next decade don't sit with Johnson, so what exactly is he going to be doing other than looking stupid next to Putin?

Plus the rest of the world has next to no respect for him, which automatically puts us on the back foot when it comes to international relations.

Zaph

Yeah, the more and more of this shit I see, the more I think it's for the greater good if this country gets torn down a fair bit. In the long, long run (after we're all dead) I think British people will have a better outlook on life and let go of our colonialist roots.

The most common complaint I hear about British people is that we live in the past. We constantly expect our history to carry us and bring an air of superiority whenever we sit down with outsiders, which sours relationships and credibility. Our version of exceptionalism is much more dangerous because it's subtle and not based on a desire work hard to be the best or biggest - we assume we already are. We need a wake up call.

sasliquid

Rumours abound that the Department of Energy and Climate Change is going to be folded into the Department for Business....

My next job is mostly funded by the DECC

Cant say I'm happy (or surprised given the state of things)

-_-

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The wake up call, whenever that happens, is going to be amazing. Though I suppose the British public will just blame the EU for not giving them a fair deal or something, further fanning their irrational thinking.

As I said, everything bad from now on will be blamed on Brexit.

Shit business decision ends with staff reductions? Brexit.
Competitors outplay you? Brexit.
Privatisations? Brexit.
Austerity? Brexit.

Which will work well in the minds of a good part of the public, given that so many people still believe that the EU owes the UK a good deal because of reasons.

AHA-Lambda

Rumours abound that the Department of Energy and Climate Change is going to be folded into the Department for Business....

-_-

As an environmental studies student that's fucking terrifying

Then again so is the fact that most legislation I've studied is EU based >_>

*Splinter

The wake up call, whenever that happens, is going to be amazing. Though I suppose the British public will just blame the EU for not giving them a fair deal or something, further fanning their irrational thinking.
There is no wake up call. We were ""Great"" before the EU, and (even if we are) ruined after it, the narrative writes itself.

jelly

Yeah, the more and more of this shit I see, the more I think it's for the greater good if this country gets torn down a fair bit. In the long, long run (after we're all dead) I think British people will have a better outlook on life and let go of our colonialist roots.

The most common complaint I hear about British people is that we live in the past. We constantly expect our history to carry us and bring an air of superiority whenever we sit down with outsiders, which sours relationships and credibility. Our version of exceptionalism is much more dangerous because it's subtle and not based on a desire work hard to be the best or biggest - we assume we already are. We need a wake up call.

Doubt it will change, blame will always fall on others, just watch. The EU will still get the flak. Hell, the EU wanted to help the steel industry but the UK vetoed it because they buddied up to the Chinese.

PJV3

Wait, What? Gove? Competent in government? You are kidding me, right? Jeez, dare you to enter any School staffroom and say that...

I think they mean allowing books for prisoners, but doing nothing about overcrowding. Which just lead to a sort of unofficial industrial action.

That kind of success.

Juicy Bob

As I said, everything bad from now on will be blamed on Brexit.

Shit business decision ends with staff reductions? Brexit.
Competitors outplay you? Brexit.
Privatisations? Brexit.
Austerity? Brexit.

Which will work well in the minds of a good part of the public, given that so many people still believe that the EU owes the UK a good deal because of reasons.
Or it will be blamed on the big, bad EU spitefully denying the UK a fair deal to crack the whip at any other dissenting parties and keep them in line like the fascist dictators they are...

sasliquid

As an environmental studies student that's fucking terrifying

Then again so is the fact that most legislation I've studied is EU based >_>

ah Cool, where are you studying? (if you don't mind me asking, I just finished my Masters in Global Environmental Change)

The main reason I voted remain is because I don't trust the current government with the environment. The conservatives are masters of pretending they care about Climate Change and doing the exact opposite.

Mindwipe

Wait, What? Gove? Competent in government? You are kidding me, right? Jeez, dare you to enter any School staffroom and say that...

As much as Gove was terrible in Education he was genuinely excellent in Justice.

Granted, mostly by being smart enough to row back nearly every single cack handed idea Chris Grayling had tried to implement, but still.

AHA-Lambda

ah Cool, where are you studying? (if you don't mind me asking, I just finished my Masters in Global Environmental Change)

The main reason I voted remain is because I don't trust the current government with the environment. The conservatives are masters of pretending they care about Climate Change and doing the exact opposite.

Glasgow Caledonian, I'm due to graduate in 2 months time

and completely agreed to the bolded

Mr. Sam

A lot to catch up on:

- Boris Johnson is intelligent but he has a tendency towards racist comments and making the nation a laughing stock that I would argue makes him unsuitable for the post. I know ostensibly he "won" the referendum but let's be real.
- I think the England flag has unfortunate implications too and would never fly one, though I don't think I'd ever fly any flag.
- My German's coming along really well. Hast du ein Kondom?

Maledict

As much as Gove was terrible in Education he was genuinely excellent in Justice.

Granted, mostly by being smart enough to row back nearly every single cack handed idea Chris Grayling had tried to implement, but still.

I wouldn't say excellent. He didn't address any of the fundamental issues faced by the MoJ - prison over crowding, the complete breakdown of the courts system etc. He just rowed back the worse excesses of graylings incompetence.

ss1

Neo Member

I’m expecting the Coal plants to be fired up again and emission controls lifted especially if Hinkley Point doesn’t go ahead (which it probably won’t...)

Zaph

Doubt it will change, blame will always fall on others, just watch. The EU will still get the flak. Hell, the EU wanted to help the steel industry but the UK vetoed it because they buddied up to the Chinese.

With the current middle-aged and older generations, absolutely. But no matter which way the vote swung, their opinion wouldn't change - their mind has been irrecoverably damaged by decades of tabloid agendas, a false understanding of "the good old times", and witnessing industries/jobs disappear for reasons they don't fully understand.

But for the younger ones, while bitter, hopefully they can usher in new generations without the hubris and be better for it.

I attended a conference last week and one of the speakers was a researcher/anthropologist/trends analyst with a background in education. One takeaway she was happy to share was that for as much shit we give today's youth, we're actually raising a much more worldly and considerate generation that ever seen before - mostly thanks to the internet and social media. She called them "citizens of the world", and they're more willing to look at the bigger picture when decision making, and with a far lower priority on nationalism. It was a really hopeful and inspiring outlook.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Lordt, it's a bloodbath. Literally the entire Cameron government taken apart in a day. Not difficult to ascertain what May thought of them, then.

-_-

This kind of thing is why Paris was nowhere near the success the media claimed it to be. Without strict binding targets on reducing carbon emissions, transitioning to green technologies, governments are going to fuck up. Particularly this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom