• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJV3

Oh dear.

"I am not at all worried about Boris Johnson, but during the campaign he lied a lot to the British people and now it is he who has his back against the wall ...

[He has] his back against the wall to defend his country but also with his back against the wall the relationship with Europe should be clear. I need a partner with whom I can negotiate and who is clear, credible and reliable."

The French foreign minister

Like, I hope it's about football, because whenever it isn't it's a symbol of hate.

It's basically our equivalent of these:

It's really not. It flies from churches and other institutions, depending on the date or whatever, and many people will have it up out of genuine pride that is not exclusive and bitter.

Some do, yes, but you cannot possibly say all do. There is a tension there, sure, but it's ridiculous to say it's a 'symbol of hate' in any context other than football.

It's really not. It flies from churches and other institutions, depending on the date or whatever, and many people will have it up out of genuine pride that is not exclusive and bitter.

Some do, yes, but you cannot possibly say all do. There is a tension there, sure, but it's ridiculous to say it's a 'symbol of hate' in any context other than football.

Compared to other countries it's hardly ever seen (the Union Jack is in tourist areas but that's it) compare it to France or Norway or Sweden.

sasliquid

This kind of thing is why Paris was nowhere near the success the media claimed it to be. Without strict binding targets on reducing carbon emissions, transitioning to green technologies, governments are going to fuck up. Particularly this one.

Paris was (mean't to be) a symbolic change in attitude towards. Unsurprisingly not all governments will follow that.

I'm writing my Masters thesis on it.

Maledict

It's also becoming clear that May has no intent on whiffing on Brexit. Article 50 will be triggered Daley in the new year, and we'll go down that path. General feeling is that it's better to reflect the will of the 52% and guarantee an election victory whilst fucking the country over.

It's much easier to rule over a catastrophe and be able to blame the electorate.

Feorax

Got to be honest, it's nice to finally see some good news coming out of all this mess. Some truly awful politicians finally being fucked off.

Morat

Banned
It's also becoming clear that May has no intent on whiffing on Brexit. Article 50 will be triggered Daley in the new year, and we'll go down that path. General feeling is that it's better to reflect the will of the 52% and guarantee an election victory whilst fucking the country over.

It's much easier to rule over a catastrophe and be able to blame the electorate.

Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven?

Compared to other countries it's hardly ever seen (the Union Jack is in tourist areas but that's it) compare it to France or Norway or Sweden.

The Union Flag is more common, sure, but you see a fair few St George's flags, at least, I do. I really don't think it's a helpful argument that it flying = racist household, as if it's a necessary connection.

Hasney

SNP spokesman Pete Wishart describes the reshuffle as "the night of the long silver spoons", teasing Commons leader, prominent Leave campaigner, and Theresa May-backer Chris Grayling about his lack of promotion so far.

He continues: "We thought the new prime minister didn't have a sense of humour - she's only gone and proven that totally wrong by appointing [Boris Johnson] foreign secretary."

lol

PJV3

Yeah, the immigration stuff suits her and she can pin anything bad on the Brexit supporters.
I think she might be open to a Norway type deal if things look really bad, if Davis and Fox aren't delivering anything by Christmas that is workable for example.

Hasney

7aabe21e-2c37-4b3f-98d5-48b1b81a6e0f.jpg

Liz Truss heading to number 10. Either for a new position, or to open a new pork market.

Zaph

Classic tories always pull. Say social justice stuff in speeches but just do same old tory social policies in reality.

We're now a nation of single-issue voters with no credible opposition. I'd almost be disappointed if the Tories didn't take advantage.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
May has now sacked more ministers in a day than Cameron did in his entire six years.

Acorn

We're now a nation of single-issue voters with no credible opposition. I'd almost be disappointed if the Tories didn't take advantage.
They've been doing it for years even when Ed was in opposition, going even further back John Major pulled the same stuff.

kmag

May has now sacked more ministers in a day than Cameron did in his entire six years.

Thinking this might backfire a bit on May. She currently only has a majority of 12 and there's now more than 6 pissed off backbenchers sharpening the knives.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Liz Truss is Justice Secretary

That's just awful. She's one of the absolute worst people to be a Justice Secretary, a complete and total ideologue in a role that needs a healthy dose of pragmatism.

Hasney

Gove did a deal with May where he leaves and they bring in someone that will make him look good by comparison. Only explanation.

tomtom94

You need an ideologue as Justice Secretary, otherwise how will you simultaneously reduce the prison population and implement the reforms turning Britain into a police state?

kmag

No interest rate cut. From the continued rise of the pound against the dollar it looks like that's what the city actually thought (despite everyone saying the opposite)

It'll come next time around though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom