• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmiPrime

I agree let's get our passports back by removing the Royal Arms and deport Charles before he gets any funny ideas about one day becoming head of state. Good idea Nige.

Jackpot

Banned
_90617533_0cb7c1c9-cb87-4835-8fb5-1d9cce58efcb.jpg

Yeah the country is fucked but at least we got our blue passports back!! TAKE BACK CONTROL!

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ritish-passport-brexit-referendum-home-office

Home Office has no immediate plans to change EU passports

The news – which will come as a particular disappointment to Nigel Farage, who disapprovingly brandished his EU passport on a more or less hourly basis during the referendum campaign – has come in a written answer from the Home Office.

Michael Fabricant, the pro-Brexit Conservative MP for Lichfield, asked Amber Rudd, the new home secretary, in a written parliamentary question, whether she would “take steps to introduce a new passport with a navy blue cover for the UK following the exit of the UK from the EU”.

Rudd replied: “There are no immediate plans for changes to the format or colour of the UK passport. Parliament will be informed of any changes to the passport following UK withdrawal from the European Union.”

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Can the 48% of us who voted to remain please have the fees of our new British passports when they inevitably demand that they all be replaced to be paid by the 52% who demanded leave? Thanks.

Dougald

Can the 48% of us who voted to remain please have the fees of our new British passports when they inevitably demand that they all be replaced to be paid by the 52% who demanded leave? Thanks.

Passports will be free now that we're not paying £350m a week to those wasteful Eurocrats

CTLance

The way May was talked before her ascension, I think you should look forward to your free Good Citizen RFID implant and Safety First QR facial tattoo. 😏

Passports will be free now that we're not paying £350m a week to those wasteful Eurocrats

Yeah, about that:

Eurocrats’ pensions shape up to be flashpoint in Brexit talks
The pensions of British Eurocrats are shaping up to be one of the most politically poisonous points in the UK’s Brexit talks, as the EU and London prepare to clash over liabilities running to several billion euros.

Pensions are one of many areas — from European Investment Bank projects to research funding — where complex joint liabilities with Britain will need to be unwound in Brexit talks.

Failing to find a solution would put at risk pension payments to about 3,000 British officials who have worked in EU institutions since 1973. Senior officials on both sides acknowledge the issue could become one of the most charged of the negotiations.

AHA-Lambda

The price increase was announced months ago...
I have an email from June 8th telling me the price was increasing come August.

But yeah, Brexit Bogeyman.

well i genuinely don't recall getting such an email, but if this was pre planned then I take it back

Price depends on location too I think.

yeah it's 19.90 in london, 17.40 everywhere else

EDIT: ah shit interest rates are now finally down?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHzov33tgfg

Tuffty

AFP: #BREAKING Bank of England cuts interest rates to record low 0.25%

Another "Brexit is just a completely fucking bad idea" shocker. All the baby boomers who voted Brexit now get less return on their savings. But at least they got their country back!

DiGiKerot

Another "Brexit is just a completely fucking bad idea" shocker. All the baby boomers who voted Brexit now get less return on their savings. But at least they got their country back!

At least they had a period of their lives where they actually made a return on their savings, though!

Yep, my parents are pretty stuffed. They actually voted remain, though were definitely the exception in their peer group
They were suffering low return long before the referendum, as is my mother. For that I lay the blame solely at the door of the bankers who fucked the world's economy . Some of those should still be in prison as far as I'm concerned.

Nicktendo86

I know you're probably joking but I should imagine they will just allow passports to expire, just because they say 'European Union' on them I don't think they will force people to renew early.

Talking about colour though, I read somewhere that the UK originally chose dark blue as it will simply not show dirt and marks as much, which makes sense. So why did the EU pick red? My passport, even though I've treated it well, looks filthy.

Dougald

They were suffering low return long before the referendum, as is my mother. For that I lay the blame solely at the door of the bankers who fucked the world's economy . Some of those should still be in prison as far as I'm concerned.

Even before that, they lost half their pension with Equitable Life (which again was mismanagement, just before 2008). Even so my dad was planning to retire next month but now is just going to work 3 days a week until he physically can't any more instead

Acorn

They got the never ending predilection of govts of all stripes to property bubbles to save them.

Even before that, they lost half their pension with Equitable Life (which again was mismanagement, just before 2008). Even so my dad was planning to retire next month but now is just going to work 3 days a week until he physically can't any more instead
It's so wrong and so unfair for your parents it makes my blood boil. Pension mismanagement even down right fraud seems to go virtually unpunished. Look at BHS for the latest example smh.

Exclusive: Britain Has A €25-Billion E.U. Bill Outstanding · Handelsblatt Global Edition

Britain owes the European Union tens of billions of euros that Brussels will insist is paid out before the country leaves the 28-nation bloc, sources in Brussels have told Handelsblatt’s sister publication WirtschaftsWoche.

Britain is hardly the only country with outstanding payments. The European Union has for years been moving around a debt mountain totaling more than €200 billion, known as “Reste à liquider” (RAL). A high-ranking E.U. official said Britain’s portion amounts to €25 billion.

The European Commission is determined not to allow Britain to leave the European Union without paying. Some lawyers in the commission believe that non-payment would amount to a credit default on Britain’s part.

“A deal with Great Britain is unimaginable if the British have not paid their outstanding debt,” according to the E.U. official.

Isn't the RAL basically a bill for all the spending the EU decided to make law without actually budgeting for?

I see it as an optional service charge, or like when Pizza Express add 25p to your bill for Cancer Care. Let's just... slowly... move to the door... one by one... and... GO!

Fuck, that is awful. My condolences.

So it's like an EU squatter? That would be hilarious.

A squatter that still has to pay rent, no less.

kmag

Yes they were but bond yields have been destroyed since the referendum causing annuities to become more fucked (as if the Tories "just spend it" pension changes hadn't already fucked them over)

Here's the UK 10 year bond yield

CpBh49YXYAQXUOu.jpg:large

Dougald

Yes they were but bond yields have been destroyed since the referendum causing annuities to become more fucked (as if the Tories "just spend it" pension changes hadn't already fucked them over)

Here's the UK 10 year bond yield

CpBh49YXYAQXUOu.jpg:large

Yeah this is exactly right and why my dad has had to opt for drawdown/carry on working a few days a week

milanbaros

Member?
Yeah this is exactly right and why my dad has had to opt for drawdown/carry on working a few days a week

Did the fall in interest rates not mean his assets increased in value, especially his long maturity bonds. All bonds have really increased in value since interest rates have fallen.

Dougald

Did the fall in interest rates not mean his assets increased in value, especially his long maturity bonds. All bonds have really increased in value since interest rates have fallen.

Annuity rates have dropped a lot though, hence drawdown. At least there is that option now.

Realistically they're boomers and have a mostly empty house, I've told them to sell up and move somewhere smaller/cheaper but he doesn't want to leave the area as he's been here 70 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom