• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickcv

Another amazing article from the express:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/69...ice-cuts-Theresa-May-Centre-European-Research

the title itself is a masterpiece

EU migrants will STAY in UK as Home Office cuts mean it will take 140 YEARS to deport them

but nothing compared to the extremely not racist comments:

Let the one's who have settled with good jobs stay, BUT! they must not be entitled to claim ANY benefits what so ever. NONE AT ALL!

No all immigrants should be kicked out ,Period ,we do not want them in our Country .

We should only allow those in who have skills we require ,and not extended families ever .And they must have no criminal record,as this free up our prisons .

I'd like to see a new Immigration Police formed from ex-service personnel to find, detain and deport all illegal immigrants from this country regardless of how long they have managed to stay here! It wont take 140 years with the correct attitude behind it!

and finally the best of them all:

Think again Teresa, spend money on tracing and deporting or expect to spend the money anyway on investigating more attacks against foreigners as was ''allegedly'' the case after the Referendum.

Set up a hotline, there'll be no shortage of info coming in -- try it!

Dougald

The obsession that immigrants are sponging off the state with benefits is insane. If anyone is "sponging" its white English people, normally the same people who complain about immigrants

Internet comments section depressing as ever.

The DE is a fucking joke paper, printing hoaxes and conspiracy shit right alongside rabidly jaundiced political stuff. The comnenters have long been the small man nationalist fringe of idiots. Note the appeal to military virtues.

Burai

shitonmychest57
It's sick but I'm not surprised.

If there is one thing this vote has done in glad about, it's show the world how dire this country is; we're basically Little America

To be fair, Nazi Germany should have been a warning to us about why blaming ethnic scapegoats for a nation's ills isn't a good idea, but here we are.

We'll be a lesson to no-one because everyone thinks their right-wing fuckery is justified. The disaffected are so easily exploited by these demagogues and it's only going to get worse.

tomtom94

To be fair, Nazi Germany should have been a warning to us about why blaming ethnic scapegoats for a nation's ills isn't a good idea, but here we are.

We'll be a lesson to no-one because everyone thinks their right-wing fuckery is justified. The disaffected are so easily exploited by these demagogues and it's only going to get worse.

The more and more I think about it, I think I have come up with (one) explanation for Brexit:

The people of Germany have spent the last 70 years being told that they should be deeply, deeply ashamed of what they did during World War 2 and how it must never happen again.

The people of Britain have spent the last 70 years being told that Britain won World War 2 and that justifies pretty much anything they do.

Tuffty

EU funding for farmers, scientists and other projects will be replaced by the Treasury after Brexit, Chancellor Philip Hammond has said.
In a move which could cost up to £4.5bn a year, the Treasury will guarantee to back EU-funded projects signed before this year's Autumn Statement.

Sounds good on the face of it, but where does the money come from? Cuts elsewhere? Tax hikes? More money printing which devalues the pound? Suddenly that £350m a week figure doesn't sound as big anymore does it?

Burai

shitonmychest57
EU funding for farmers, scientists and other projects will be replaced by the Treasury after Brexit, Chancellor Philip Hammond has said.
In a move which could cost up to £4.5bn a year, the Treasury will guarantee to back EU-funded projects signed before this year's Autumn Statement.

Sounds good on the face of it, but where does the money come from? Cuts elsewhere? Tax hikes? More money printing which devalues the pound? Suddenly that £350m a week figure doesn't sound as big anymore does it?

It will obviously come from all the money the forrins will be throwing at us to be able to trade with the GREAT BRITISH EMPIRE.

EmiPrime

We are going to export so many Fisherman's Friends to the world when unconstrained by those bureaucrats in Brussels. We're going to be rich! German cars for everyone!

Acorn

Also I'm now going to fucking hunt Farmers for a living.

Sucking off the govt teat? Do it like people on JSA and get 60 quid a week for working cunts.

Best part they'll pay for it from their usual scapegoats.

In 2015 the UK government paid in £13bn and EU spending on the UK was £4.5bn, meaning the UK's net contribution was estimated at about £8.5bn,
I guess we could always take the £4.5bn from the £13bn we would no longer have to pay to Brussels.

Binabik15

GBPUSD at 1,2959 and GBPEUR at 1.1615. Should really start ordering at Amazon UK.

I've done my part to boost the UK economy already*. It'll make the crash when importing from UK to the EU becomes a nightmare a tiny bit harder.

*Not really though, it was a product that is exported and sold here at a higher price, so profits would flow back anyway.

I guess we could always take the £4.5bn from the £13bn we would no longer have to pay to Brussels.

The UK would still have to pay a similiar amount for a Norway-like deal, though. So that money isn't really up for grabs.

Still, really saddening to see it being expressed so strongly and openly. :(

It's similar to going to youtube and being disappointed. Many countries in Europe have people with this sentiment. How can the UK or any country be above a handful comments made on a silly newspaper website?

Sadly its a common theme that people come to scrounge off the state and also it's costing the country a lot of money. It's been proved benefits is a drop in the ocean. We also have a unemployment under 5%. Countries like France have over 10% and Spain have over 20%.

Most people know the truth that people come to work and work long hours. We would not be able to shop all hours of the day otherwise.

Also the benefit claimers in my experience are white and either have paid into the system or the underclass who don't want to work, a tiny percentage overall mind but I know of white women in their 40s who sleep with young lads just to get pregnant and claim another 15 years of benefits when their existing child reaches 14-15.

EmiPrime

I'm not assuming anything. The government have guaranteed it. Even after the guarantee it still leaves £8.5bn to spend elsewhere as a result of leaving.

The tax contribution of the City of London's financial services industry alone is £65bn a year. There will be an exodus if we leave the single market and lose the financial passport.

So again, where is this money coming from?

Theonik

I'm not assuming anything. The government have guaranteed it. Even after the guarantee it still leaves £8.5bn to spend elsewhere as a result of leaving.
The amount of money that is saved depends on the size of the British economy. A 1% contraction of GDP as predicted for this year after the brexit vote is worth more than the £8.5bn. It is also quite fallacious to expect that just because a sum becomes available it will be used in a certain way. That's why many of the anti-trident sentiments don't make sense, as getting rid of Trident would only mean the army pays that into conventional armies instead. (they probably should it's much more useful)

You should also note that these assurances only run for as long as the UK is still liable to pay that money to the EU after which the UK will re-evaluate how the money should be spent and that also means that the UK will need to find a way to finance it without hoping for an increase in the income via GDP growth. A potential drop in tax revenue on a full brexit will yield a bigger loss than the EU membership savings and continued free trade would mean losing the rebate where you are both liable to pay the same but also have to subsidise farms. Or don't I guess, though the UK is already too dependant of foreign food production without considering a shrink in the farming sector.

Isn't funny how some people still think leaving the EU just means to reshuffle £12bn in the national budget?

(and of course getting rid of the immigrants of course)

The 8.5bn are already done for not having access to the largest single market in the world anymore.
I would bet we will have access to a large degree.

The tax contribution of the City of London's financial services industry alone is £65bn a year. There will be an exodus if we leave the single market and lose the financial passport.

So again, where is this money coming from?
Where have you gathered this information from?
I don't know the plans of the financial sector, but I haven't seen a single report that expects a mass exodus. Most of what I've seen indicated that parts of their operations would relocate within the EU if we lose the passport.

Jisgsaw

...but that would require you to pay a lot to access it...

I don't know the plans of the financial sector, but I haven't seen a single report that expects a mass exodus. Most of what I've seen indicated that parts of their operations would relocate within the EU if we lose the passport.

He was being hyperbolic, but the city would loose a lot of income if it looses the passports.
Though to be fair, like a lot of things, that'd depend how the EU will fair in the coming years.

Xando

How about this:
HSBC said before the vote that it could move as many as 1,000 trading jobs to Paris in the event of a Leave. But because the bank already has a Paris office, it could defer any decision until right before the UK’s exit comes into effect.
Or this:
Jamie Dimon, JPMorgan chief executive, warned before the referendum that as many as 4,000 jobs could be shifted out of the UK.
https://www.ft.com/content/a3a92744-3a52-11e6-9a05-82a9b15a8ee7

Right now the financial sector is still hoping Britian will keep access to the single market and the passport. If britian is unable to obtain it you can bet bankers will leave faster than you can say brexit

nickcv

What you guys are missing is that the treasury will pay that money up until 2020.

Brexit won't be finalised until 2019.

So they are promising to give that money for 1 year

EmiPrime

Their website is under maintenance so here's a cached link: https://webcache.googleusercontent....+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&lr=lang_en|lang_fr

He was being hyperbolic, but the city would loose a lot of income if it looses the passports.
Though to be fair, like a lot of things, that'd depend how the EU will fair in the coming years.

She. A lot of people are going to lose their jobs and many will have to relocate. We can speculate how much the treasury will lose in income because of this but it's obvious that the hit to this industry alone will far exceed the £8.5bn net contribution we put into EU coffers.

Audioboxer

Another amazing article from the express:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/69...ice-cuts-Theresa-May-Centre-European-Research

the title itself is a masterpiece

but nothing compared to the extremely not racist comments:

and finally the best of them all:

bYzjxGO.gif

Jisgsaw

She. A lot of people are going to lose their jobs and many will have to relocate. We can speculate how much the treasury will lose in income because of this but it's obvious that the hit to this industry alone will far exceed the £8.5bn net contribution we put into EU coffers.

Whoops sorry for the gender confusion.
I agree with you on this post; for me an exodus would however be if >50% of the banks (or their jobs) left the city, and that won't happen. At least not before a long, long while, London is too big a trading place for that to happen in the near future.

What you guys are missing is that the treasury will pay that money up until 2020.

Ah, nicely played.
(though to be fair: they can't promise what the next government will do).

StylusX

Err...

"Agricultural funding now provided by the EU will also continue until 2020."

Were still going to be in the EU for the majority of that time

Edit: Already mentioned above

Theonik

I did point this out. There is also the chance that we are looking to be in the EU right up to the end of the current Tory term if the process isn't actually triggered in 2017. The longer they delay the closer the next national election is going to be the greater the risk is to the tories, but at the same time, they need to time to actually figure out what to do and can't do it before 2017 and even then after we actually leave the economy might be hit as a result which will affect them in the 2020 elections if we leave in 2019.

Despite the brexit blurb, we don't just default to WTO rules, there's going to be a huge amount of horse trading with the EU (as we're currently under their schedules) and the rest of the WTO to get there.

It's been pulled back btw:

@SamCoatesTimes
Liam Fox's trade department has deleted the press release about the single market from earlier.

Quite ironic that Britain can't even simply default to WTO terms. Here's a summary of that and what shitty trade-offs Britain is facing: The Brexit Hangover Just Got Worse | Vanity Fair

Lord David Hannay, who was one of Britain’s representatives when the U.K. joined the E.E.C. and who later became an ambassador to the U.N., recently wrote a piece that perfectly captures the folly of the Brexit vote. The following paragraph explains not only the tariff bind that Britain finds itself in, but more important, the lunacy of leaving an arrangement that can’t be bettered in a world where a relatively small country cannot hope to make advantageous trading deals with huge economies like China and the U.S., or with large trading blocks.

"The technicalities of constructing a new U.K. tariff, for which neither [the pro-Brexit trade minister] Liam Fox nor the officials advising him have any relevant experience, will themselves be pretty daunting. Tariff rates will need to be set for thousands of tariff positions and sub-positions. Should these be higher than those set in the E.U.’s Common External Tariff, in which case we will either have to cut tariffs on [other] products to compensate all our W.T.O. trading partners or suffer higher retaliatory tariffs from them? Or should the tariffs be set lower, in which case U.K. manufacturers will have to face up to more competition and less protection? Or should they be set at the same level as now, in which case one wonders what all the fuss was about in the first place?”

Meanwhile:

ZNpRkNw.jpg

Nigel Farage's 'Preposterous' Moustache Steals The Show During Television Interview

Joni

Single market access isn't cheaper. Norway pays the same amount per capita as the United Kingdom. And that is assuming Europe just doesn't ask more money in return for a limit on freedom of movement.
The deal for Norway is access to the single market in return for equal payments, less subsidies and less control.

Their website is under maintenance so here's a cached link: https://webcache.googleusercontent....+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&lr=lang_en|lang_fr

Of course things will change and people will lose their jobs. As a child I was unfortunate enough to witness over 20,000 miners lose their livelihoods in the 80's along with thousands of steelworkers, car manufacturers, shipbuilders etc etc
Things change, sometimes for the better, sometimes not. I still feel pretty confident we will remain in the single market, pay for the privilege, retain university research projects if we pay in and continue to have a amicable relationship with Europe in many other areas. Leaving wasn't the best result but we aren't about to decend into the apocalypse.
Im going to stay subbed and continue reading this very interesting thread, but somewhat cut back posting. Every time I try to be positive about the situation we find ourselves in,I'm greeted with a sea of green and feel battered and bruised for a page or two ;)

EmiPrime

Whoops sorry for the gender confusion.
I agree with you on this post; for me an exodus would however be if >50% of the banks (or their jobs) left the city, and that won't happen. At least not before a long, long while, London is too big a trading place for that to happen in the near future.

We're on the same page then!

Of course things will change and people will lose their jobs. As a child I was unfortunate enough to witness over 20,000 miners lose their livelihoods in the 80's along with thousands of steelworkers, car manufacturers, shipbuilders etc etc
Things change, sometimes for the better, sometimes not. I still feel pretty confident we will remain in the single market, pay for the privilege, retain university research projects if we pay in and continue to have a amicable relationship with Europe in many other areas. Leaving wasn't the best result but we aren't about to decend into the apocalypse.
Im going to stay subbed and continue reading this very interesting thread, but somewhat cut back posting. Every time I try to be positive about the situation we find ourselves in,I'm greeted with a sea of green and feel battered and bruised for a page or two ;)

Given this mess is going to screw with my parents' retirement I can't help but be angry about it. If you want to stay positive despite the realities that's your call.

As for leaving the EU but staying in the EEA, that's not what anyone voted for. Remainers want to be in the EU and Leavers want a total Brexit. There's no mandate for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom