• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
I want May to literally declare "Independence" and Juncker to press the big red Art. 50 button right thereafter.

Plum

I want May to literally declare "Independence" and Juncker to press the big red Art. 50 button right thereafter.

They really do need to go all out on this.

We need to build a giant fist on the Cliffs of Dover, when Art. 50 is put into place the middle finger slowly raises up on live television. It'll be our version of Rio's Christ the Redeemer statue, welcoming those EU bastards when they come crawling back after we get the best trade deals.

Alx

It could elect some very hard people to negotiate with. Sarkozy for instance who would be eager to position himself as European leader again after Hollande lost acclaim versus Merkel

Well the voters don't really care whether UK gets a strong opposition or not, really, so they wouldn't choose their candidate for that (also Sarkozy didn't really have a strong position in Europe either, also he's currently more focused on appealing to the far-right anti-european voters).
In the end the only relevance between Brexit and French elections would be in relation to eurosceptic candidates, and namely the far right (Marine Le Pen), slightly less so with the far left (Jean-Luc Mélenchon). They will probably be saying "see, UK is doing it, vote for me and we'll be leaving too !".
While all other major parties will say "see UK's decision was terrible, let's not make the same mistake and protect EU !"

oti

Banned
They really do need to go all out on this.

We need to build a giant fist on the Cliffs of Dover, when Art. 50 is put into place the middle finger slowly raises up on live television. It'll be our version of Rio's Christ the Redeemer statue, welcoming those EU bastards when they come crawling back after we get the best trade deals.

*partly financed by the EU

Wonder how the markets going to react to this tomorrow. Another drop of the pound incoming tomorrow morning now that it's official that they're really going to invoke Art. 50 and do it relatively soon?

It could elect some very hard people to negotiate with. Sarkozy for instance who would be eager to position himself as European leader again after Hollande lost acclaim versus Merkel

God, I really hope that Alain Juppé wins those primaries in November. I don't really know whether he's a passable candidate, but I'd take anything over five more years of that odious little buffoon Sarkozy (well, except Le Pen, of course, but thankfully she's never going to get through the two-round voting system of French presidential elections anyway).

Wonder how the markets going to react to this tomorrow. Another drop of the pound incoming tomorrow morning now that it's official that they're really going to invoke Art. 50 and do it relatively soon?

Probably, but this is a stunt rather than a serious bill - May needs to actually invoke Article 50 then complete negotiations, or unilaterally leave, before this bill would come into effect.

Article 50 will be the big run on shares. Any Brexit negotiation that sees us withdraw from the Single Market is going to see a pretty nasty impact on national and international confidence in British business.

Of course, Labour should be courting middle class votes right now by pointing this out and saying the Tories are irresponsible for ramping up to Brexit without a clear plan of what Soft/Hard form they want. But Labour is a wet paper napkin, so May can do whatever she wants.

The 2020 election will be fun. A hard right Tory and a hard left Labour. Also May bragging about introducing about a million laws, more than any prime minister ever therefore the most productive (Tories are never good at giving credit where due; in this case the EU). Any drop in GDP? Why that was the peoples fault for voting for Brexit.

OH MY GOD I LOVE CHOCOLATE DIGESTIVES THEY'RE SO GOOD
The Daily Star is also offering the digestive biscuits (and is 50p cheaper than the Sunday
Br
Ex
it
press). As the daily star is generally off in it's own world their cover story isn't Brexit related. It is still death related though.

CTLance

Well, at least we all have some sort of deadline to work with now.

Although I think it's lunacy to time Art50 to coincide with elections in two of the bigger EU members. I'd have tried to avoid that by all means. Particularly us Germans will not let that opportunity pass us by.

We have been unjustly paying for the entirety of the EU all by ourselves and never received any benefits at allllll, and the Brits have never done anything for us everrrrrrr, so the fiscally conservative, nay, moral thing to do is to painfully fuck over those pesky islanders with the snobbish accent and shitty food. Never liked 'em anyway. All it takes is the minister of finance to announce a rough estimate just how much more we are going to pay (!!!!!!) just because those mean guys are leaving. Maybe weave in how much more pension we could all receive if it were not for those cunning Brits.

Honestly, it's prime election material. Promises will be made, bizarre actions will be suggested and honestly discussed on national TV, a huge wave of public sentiment will be built. Good luck getting anything worthwhile done when that shit is going on. The press will be going over every statement and utterance with a flea comb.

I wonder what a statue on the French side of the channel to balance out the British Plum Fist would look like.

A person of great humility bowing before the people of Europe, but stealthily mooning the people of Britain? Maybe bonus points for a vague Farage or Johnson likeness on the France-facing side. Let it wear a short kilt that can flutter in the wind, to avoid any accusations. That way those noisy Scots will know their place as well. Maybe fashion the dangly bits into a wind chime. Art! :D

kmag

Well, at least we all have some sort of deadline to work with now.

Although I think it's lunacy to time Art50 to coincide with elections in two of the bigger EU members. I'd have tried to avoid that by all means. Particularly us Germans will not let that opportunity pass us by.

We have been unjustly paying for the entirety of the EU all by ourselves and never received any benefits at allllll, and the Brits have never done anything for us everrrrrrr, so the fiscally conservative, nay, moral thing to do is to painfully fuck over those pesky islanders with the snobbish accent and shitty food. Never liked 'em anyway. All it takes is the minister of finance to announce a rough estimate just how much more we are going to pay (!!!!!!) just because those mean guys are leaving. Maybe weave in how much more pension we could all receive if it were not for those cunning Brits.

Honestly, it's prime election material. Promises will be made, bizarre actions will be suggested and honestly discussed on national TV, a huge wave of public sentiment will be built. Good luck getting anything worthwhile done when that shit is going on. The press will be going over every statement and utterance with a flea comb.

I wonder what a statue on the French side of the channel to balance out the British Plum Fist would look like.

A person of great humility bowing before the people of Europe, but stealthily mooning the people of Britain? Maybe bonus points for a vague Farage or Johnson likeness on the France-facing side. Let it wear a short kilt that can flutter in the wind, to avoid any accusations. That way those noisy Scots will know their place as well. Maybe fashion the dangly bits into a wind chime. Art! :D

German has had the greatest benefit of any country in the EU, with the possible exception of the UK. Aside from Germany being the most effective export nation in the EU, and the EU single market greatly facilitating that, the EU led to the Euro, which has lead Germany to have a currency chronically devalued in comparison to it's own economic strength. This has allowed Germany almost uniquely of the major Western powers to maintain it's domestic industrial strength.

U55DTe0.png

CTLance

German has had the greatest benefit of any country in the EU, with the possible exception of the UK. Aside from Germany being the most effective export nation in the EU, and the EU single market greatly facilitating that, the EU led to the Euro, which has lead Germany to have a currency chronically devalued in comparison to it's own economic strength. This has allowed Germany almost uniquely of the major Western powers to maintain it's domestic industrial strength.

[IMG ] http://i.imgur.com/U55DTe0.png[/IMG]
You're preaching to the choir. I knew I should have added a sarcasm tag, but I had hoped the insanity was obvious. Dammit. Sorry for making you type up all of that.

As for whether those facts will actually make a difference, I mean... uh... Brexit. Look at that. Leavers and Remainers are still battling it out, even. Why do you think that German voting cattle will be any better than British voting cattle? :D

It should be noted that Germans continuously are very supportive of the EU membership. They were also the population that didn't want the UK to leave the EU by a very large majority. Polls after Brexit vote also showed that Germans overall did not support "penalizing" the UK, but instead called for a fair deal.
I also think there are more important issues than Brexit for German voters. It's pretty much a non-topic right now, aside from a couple of remarks about UK politicians apparently losing their mind (see Schäubles comment for example).

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Sadly this jingoistic English exceptionalism (and sorry folks it is English exceptionalism you don't see the same spiel from the other nations) is the default mode for our glorious leaders.

I'm Welsh, it's here too. I think it's in Scotland, it just manifests itself differently as the weird side of the SNP, it's just the SNP have been much more competent at shutting them out whereas the Conservatives have been hijacked by their loonies. And it's definitely in Ireland, especially when you meet someone who calls themselves an Ulsterman.

Basically: there is so much EU law affecting the UK that it would be impossible for Parliament to discuss the repeal of every individual piece - it would take decades of purely focusing on this and nothing else, and that's no exaggeration. As a result, this bill would give the executive the power to decide which bits of EU law are kept or not, without having to put the repeal of those decided against to a vote.

This is the critical bit. It's a huge powerplay. Whoever is in government will have carte blanche on deciding what will be law, without those pesky MPs and lords having a say.

It's a necessary step, since there isn't anywhere near enough time for parliamentary debate, but that doesn't make it any less scary and antidemocratic.

There are some serious mixed messages too. We're 'simply' transposing all the EU laws, but at the same time only the ones that May wants?

And how do you transpose laws which rely on the authority of the council, commission, parliament, ECJ, and various other EU regulatory bodies?
I assume it really will be business as usual. Hazardous chemicals will still be approved by the EU chemicals agency according to directives from the commission... Except no, the Directive would be post Brexit and not apply to us, but the pre-Brexit law that will be transposed to UK law says that decisions can only be made by EU directive so... *Shrug*

kmag

Robert Preston now saying that May isn't bothered by access to the single market i.e Hard brexit. We. Are. Fucked.

Bring it on. It's the only way to clamp down this notion of British exceptionalism. A few years of hard tack should shut a few people up. I mean I'll be fucking off out of the country early next year but I'll send food parcels. Promise.

UK truly Little America. Where are you going kmag? I wish I was in a position to move to Europe or anywhere else right now. Qualifying for a German work permit shouldn't be something that's impossible for me.

Jezbollah

May and co really are parking their bus right in the Labour-Leave-voters-who-would-be-tempted-to-vote-UKIP-to-ensure-Brexit garden aren't they.

PJV3

i will be a little disappointed if EU nations don't seize the chance to grab some of that foreign investment the UK has taken over the last few decades, start waving carrots at Japan etc. Add that to some of the City trade and they can make a nice little pile of cash out of our decision.

We seem to have a barmy government happy to let anything happen.

The way things seem to be going, with British media being what it is, the EU being in a bit of a mess, blamed for everything that goes wrong and the world not exactly becoming any more friendlier, those stats would probably get even better for Brexit in a few years.

Madchad

The power of misusing elements of direct democracy for the own career.

To be fair if the result was the other way round i could see the EU pushing hard for the UK to drop sterling/join shengen etc. saying we no longer have need of a special status as the people want to be IN the EU.

To be fair if the result was the other way round i could see the EU pushing hard for the UK to drop sterling/join shengen etc. saying we no longer have need of a special status as the people want to be IN the EU.

Well, you're not being fair. Why isn't the EU pushing Denmark or Sweden to join the Eurozone? Why isn't Ireland forced to join Schengen?

Because they have not had a vote on membership ?

All of them did. You mean post-Euro. Sure, but so what? The EU wouldn't force the Euro on the UK, that's ridiculous as fuck. Doing so would ensure a subsequent referendum with Brexit as the result.

/
Sweden did have a vote regarding the Eurozone, our politicians chose to listen and stayed out.

I didn't know that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Referendums_related_to_the_European_Union#Euro
Welp.

oti

Banned

Greek bailout referendum, 2015
Greece Referendum (5 July 2015) on the bailout conditions in the Greek government-debt crisis.
A majority of 61% rejected the bailout conditions. However, shortly afterwards the government accepted a bailout with even harsher conditions than the one rejected.

Too bad Tsipras wasn't UK's PM. He would've changed the outcome of the referendum lol.

AHA-Lambda

Hard brexit, fucking hell

Oh please god, I need indyref2 :(
If that don't work, I need to seriously consider emigrating

Can we just keep this gif on a loop, and post it at top of each new page?

iP42wHz.gif

Respecting Scotland seems to have gone out the window as well.

Yeah that didn't last very long at all

Joni

Too bad Tsipras wasn't UK's PM. He would've changed the outcome of the referendum lol.

He was at least honest enough to see he could do quick political win and fuck his country, or fuck his country and try to steer the ship safely with him as captain.

norinrad

Hard brexit, fucking hell

Oh please god, I need indyref2 :(
If that don't work, I need to seriously consider emigrating

Can we just keep this gif on a loop, and post it at top of each new page?

iP42wHz.gif

Yeah that didn't last very long at all

Hard Brexit? Where are you getting that from?

AzureSky

serious question.

Could someone explain why the stock markets dont react to brexit? Sure, there was a bump after the vote, but markets are stable and recovered quiet a bit since then. Some say nothing happened so far and we should wait till brexit actually happens, but that doesnt really works. Markets are known to react to future events and usually react just as badly to uncertanty as to bad news. I dont see that happening.

Are markets more optimistic about this than the media suggests? This thread is an example of a more negative point of view on brexit, and i too think it's a mistake. But i dont see the signs so far and starting to think maybe i'm wrong...

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
serious question.

Could someone explain why the stock markets dont react to brexit? Sure, there was a bump after the vote, but markets are stable and recovered quiet a bit since then. Some say nothing happened so far and we should wait till brexit actually happens, but that doesnt really works. Markets are known to react to future events and usually react just as badly to uncertanty as to bad news. I dont see that happening.

Are markets more optimistic about this than the media suggests? This thread is an example of a more negative point of view on brexit, and i too think it's a mistake. But i dont see the signs so far and starting to think maybe i'm wrong...

The markets still don't believe that UK government will act insanely and cripple their own golden goose, the financial services industry.

KDR_11k

Or the markets expect that the companies have enough time to prepare for the brexit and will take the appropriate measures to not lose all that business (probably moving jobs to other countries). After all the stock market is for companies, not countries, moving things across the border won't alter the company's bottom line, just the GDPs of the involved countries.

Is there going to be a second referendum on this, after all the negotiations with the EU?

The negotiations happen only once Article 50 is triggered and once it's triggered the UK is on an unstoppable course to leave the EU. There's nothing left to decide by referendum at that point.

There's some point to doing a referendum NOW on whether to favor immigration limits or single market access but it seems May would rather make that decision herself.

kmag

The markets still don't believe that UK government will act insanely and cripple their own golden goose, the financial services industry.

Might see a bit of movement tomorrow but I imagine if there's any it'll be the currency which gets it.

It's already creeping down into the 1.28 against the Dollar just on the early movements in the East.

AzureSky

i dont thing this works. Every single statement from belivable polititians and experts explains how brexit is unavoidable after the poll. People with money are no fools and usually know how to keep it. But there is no sign of pessimism in the market. So, they must think there are opportunities here, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom