• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other was the watering down of plans to reduce the harm junk food for kids in advertising etc. It's kinda funny since she has diabetes. Corporate puppet over all else eh. Suppose she has no soul anyway.

I'm just hoping that my natural mindset of considering that it must be better to get on with your neighbours rather then fighting with them is wrong and that those in charge of leave know more then me, have a plan and strategy they cant share at the moment and that in the end really can create a more prosperous nation out of the EU then in.

But the three Brexiteers look and sound so god damn awful. It really looks amateurish. I wanted to be convinced May could do it, but so far not so good.

Are we really just about to throw away 40 years of partnership with europe because of an encouraged fear of immigration.

Whats really getting me down and nervous is pounds value. General consensus in the media and tory conference at the moment is that everything is fine with the economy and predictions made by remain prior were over egged. However, I buy and import fmcg from china in dollars and we are trying to pass on cost price increases of 15% to retail or make products cheaper/smaller. Apart from food, fmcg is brought 6 to 12 months in advance so we wont see the effects of the weak pound till next year.

Plus we havemt evem triggered article 50 yet!

jelly

Yeah, the wave hasn't hit yet. They are riding the cheap pound for now as non UK buyers and some exporters are having a good time but it's unlikely to last when they need to buy in new stock and materials if they don't source them from within the UK. Time will tell.

cabot

Jeremy Hunt is doing such a fine job as well, I'm sure there's a massive queue of British citizens for medical courses!

May is a monster, playing to a racist and bigoted electorate. In my 40 odd years i have never felt to ashamed to be part of this awful country. I remember listening to my old friend sadly gone now about the war, stories of people being kind, compassionate and thinking whatever happened to this country. I can only hope one day Scotland wakes up but i doubt it now.

Chinner

Banned
The unintentioned result of the EU referendum is that it has provided an actual quantity of people against EU and all that jazz. Now we see the tories going full hog to appeal to this base.

Like, has the been any real witch hunt against the troops using Human rights? Seems like a fake narrative to get rid of it under favourable pretended.

Lucreto

Theresa May tells BBC foreign doctors will be allowed to stay "until further numbers [of home-grown doctors] are trained". Doc-exit in 2025?

Then those newly trained Doctors move to Australia for better wages away from the slow gutting of the NHS.

Lucreto

https://www.rte.ie/news/2016/1004/821270-brexit-belfast/

A legal bid to try to stop the UK's planned departure from the European Union is expected to get under way at Belfast High Court today.

Lawyers representing the politicians and campaigners will argue that triggering Article 50 would be illegal if done without securing parliamentary and Northern Ireland Assembly consent.

Ununited Britain or Britains saviours?

jelly

Your services are no longer required, please make your way to the airport.

Fuck me. Proud to British, ashamed more like.

Paulie_C

Neo Member
The unintentioned result of the EU referendum is that it has provided an actual quantity of people against EU and all that jazz. Now we see the tories going full hog to appeal to this base.

Like, has the been any real witch hunt against the troops using Human rights? Seems like a fake narrative to get rid of it under favourable pretended.

In Northern Ireland there have been numerous cases against the army and troops. One of the most high profile cases being Pat Finucane, a human rights lawyer who was killed by loyalists with some collusion with the army.

This is a worrying development for the remaining victims who've not received any justice.

Then those newly trained Doctors move to Australia for better wages away from the slow gutting of the NHS.

yeah about that

14520476_10157630602135492_4658097103688140553_n.jpg

Kabouter

Are there that many physicians leaving the UK soon or immediately after completing training? Shouldn't the causes of that be addressed? Even four years is not that long compared to that training cost.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Agreed. The clear intention is that they are having fees subsidised in the service of the NHS, not foreign healthcare systems. However, if it is to be retroactively applied then that would be wrong.

Are there that many physicians leaving the UK soon or immediately after completing training? Shouldn't the causes of that be addressed? Even four years is not that long compared to that training cost.

Not immediately, but as mentioned, many are heading out of the country due to the current situation.

Blackmail is not an effective way to motivate the NHS.

"Accept this new contract. Oh what's that, you want to leave instead? Pay us back your training then."

And yeah, if I leave my current job, they're not going to expect me to pay back the training they gave me, it's ridiculous.

Audioboxer

yeah about that

14520476_10157630602135492_4658097103688140553_n.jpg

Jeremy Cunt completely missing the point of why people would even want to leave in the first place. If the UK NHS was a good place to work people wouldn't even be considering going abroad (or at least very few would, as moving abroad ain't exactly a small task).

Smug remark coming from a man unwilling to even interact with the junior doctors on strike.

jelly

I don't know but I imagine they wouldn't be short on job offers so moving is unlikely to be a problem and if the NHS is crap to work for, they shouldn't be surprised if people leave promptly and should be looking to make it more appealing to stay, not a threat.

Madchad

If you receive training subsidized by the company you work for, and you leave soon after, it's entirely common that they would expect you to pay that money back. Happens a LOT in the IT industry where I work.

Bus drivers also face the same situation if im not mistaken. Think you have to work for a minimum of 4 years or something along those lines.

Acorn

Quoted wrong person, meant to quote the guy talking about the Belfast legal challenge.
Doesn't matter the norn tories are in govt and for it so they'd pass it anyway.

Kabouter

I don't know but I imagine they wouldn't be short on job offers so moving is unlikely to be a problem and if the NHS is crap to work for, they shouldn't be surprised if people leave promptly and should be looking to make it more appealing to stay, not a threat.

Yeah, I get that moving isn't a problem in terms of their job, but most people are generally hesitant to move especially if they have a family. So if circumstances are solid comparatively speaking, I wouldn't expect people to move en masse. However if working for the NHS is either crap or the pay is, then I would expect many to choose to leave. So if the NHS is crap to work for, that should probably be the main focus of the government in addressing this.

Fdkn

If you receive training subsidized by the company you work for, and you leave soon after, it's entirely common that they would expect you to pay that money back. Happens a LOT in the IT industry where I work.

It usually is stated in the contract. I think it needs to be because the opposite would be stupid but I don't know regarding the UK.

kmag

The Doctors are already paying though. They pay fees for medical school which they have to pay back like any other student. The other training is on the job, literally on the job, and they'll typically pay themselves for any additional exams or qualifications.

It's like getting a job in Asda, leaving and Asda charging you for till training.

Interesting approach. Make the job less appealing (both domestically and internationally) while simultaneously trying to get more people into the profession.

T-Rex.

Banned
Yeah, I get that moving isn't a problem in terms of their job, but most people are generally hesitant to move especially if they have a family. So if circumstances are solid comparatively speaking, I wouldn't expect people to move en masse. However if working for the NHS is either crap or the pay is, then I would expect many to choose to leave. So if the NHS is crap to work for, that should probably be the main focus of the government in addressing this.
They're a bit busy trying to destroy it :/

Acorn

The Doctors are already paying though. They pay fees for medical school which they have to pay back like any other student. The other training is on the job, literally on the job, and they'll typically pay themselves for any additional exams or qualifications.

It's like getting a job in Asda, leaving and Asda charging you for till training.

Interesting approach. Make the job less appealing (both domestically and internationally) while simultaneously trying to get more people into the profession.
We both know this is all according to the plan to starve the English nhs.

Dougald

I have the greatest respect for any British doctor or dentist who doesn't sod off to private practice as soon as feasibly possible, especially in the current climate

kmag

The other issue Hunt has is that as soon as he goes to bring in these rules, there will be an exodus.

Junior Doctors by large are extremely pissed off at the minute.

jelly

Make it so unappealing that people leave or go private and NHS runs on fumes as it crumbles needing more private company help that costs even more than public health further knee capping the NHS until it's just better to get private health insurance.

kmag

British financial-services companies will get no special favors in Brexit negotiations from Prime Minister Theresa May, who wants to change the relationship between the government and the City of London.
According to three senior figures in May’s administration, the government will refuse to prioritize the protection of the sector after the U.K. has left the European Union. Her team has also dismissed the key business demand for an interim deal with the EU to help ease the transition out of the bloc, one of the people said. All asked not to be named because the information is sensitive.

Downgrading the concerns of the City, as the capital’s financial district is called, signals a clear break from May’s predecessor, David Cameron, who put the risk to financial services at the heart of his failed referendum campaign to keep the U.K in the EU. Cameron argued that Brexit would be a high-stakes “gamble” for the U.K. and its financial-services sector, which accounts for almost 12 percent of economic output and 1.1 million jobs.

The shift also risks adding to investor concerns about a so-called hard Brexit. The pound resumed its decline on Tuesday amid growing speculation May’s government is prepared to surrender membership of the European single market for trade in return for more power over immigration, law-making and the budget. Sterling was down more than 0.5 percent at 10.09 a.m. in London, dropping to the lowest level since 1985.
May’s office had no immediate comment on the shift in attitude when contacted on Monday.

More at http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ade-city-in-brexit-shock-for-financial-sector

Interesting approach.

PJV3

I can't unpick the thinking here. I mean... I just can't. And surely if you're part of that team or an advisor you'd have to say "hey, twelve per cent is a pretty big deal..."

We don't need the city, we don't need Japanese firms, we are Albion.

kmag

I can't unpick the thinking here. I mean... I just can't. And surely if you're part of that team or an advisor you'd have to say "hey, twelve per cent is a pretty big deal..."

They're betting that it'll only be a proportion of that 12% which it will be. I've seen estimates of up to 25% of the financial services sector activity 'leaving' which would 'only' be 3%. Of course that's just one sector, and it'll probably be a bit less in practice of financial services activity leaving, but other activities in other sectors will move as well.

There's no doubt we're going to take a pretty big hit. The current approach seems to be to ignore any major issue (like Northern Ireland, Gibraltar etc), and other trade issue needs to be filtered through the Brexit means Brexit means immigration filter which rules out everything short of full hard brexit and some sort of trade deal down the line.

Have you guys considered that it might just be a practical approach to the problem?
There is no way to protect both the financial industry as it stands and have Brexit in the terms that have been asked.

Rather than try to fix it, just admit the problem and move towards a new paradigm, whatever that might be, no point trying to achieve the impossible?

Walshicus

Just walked past a screen in our office with a grey man talking about blocking an EU army even outside the EU.

What a time we live in.

kmag

Have you guys considered that it might just be a practical approach to the problem?
There is no way to protect both the financial industry as it stands and have Brexit in the terms that have been asked.

Rather than try to fix it, just admit the problem and move towards a new paradigm, whatever that might be, no point trying to achieve the impossible?

Could be. Still cutting your nose off to spite those immigrants though.

Such a waste of time, money and effort for a smaller economy and less prosperity for all.

slider

They're betting that it'll only be a proportion of that 12% which it will be. I've seen estimates of up to 25% of the financial services sector activity 'leaving' which would 'only' be 3%. Of course that's just one sector, and it'll probably be a bit less in practice of financial services activity leaving, but other activities in other sectors will move as well.

There's no doubt we're going to take a pretty big hit. The current approach seems to be to ignore any major issue (like Northern Ireland, Gibraltar etc), and other trade issue needs to be filtered through the Brexit means Brexit means immigration filter which rules out everything short of full hard brexit and some sort of trade deal down the line.

Yeah, of course. Sorry, when I post from mobile I always rush. D'oh.

But I'm wondering what the win is? Take a single digit percentage hit for... De-regulation? Bonus culture?? Any ideas? Maybe, as pointed out above by DarthMasta, it's the price of "controlling our borders"? No four freedoms and no passporting. Hmm.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Ensuring 50 years of ruling for Tories by fulfilling the wishes of both UKIP supporters (hard Brexit and fuck the immigrants) and Corbyn supporters (fuck the banks).

daviyoung

Banned

The question one day will be "was it worth it?" and at the moment the answer is somewhere between a 'er...no' and Michael-Jordan.gif

People are pissed off, not attempting alchemy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom