• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

theaface

TAKING BACK CONTROL!!!!!!!

WE DID IT GUYS, WE CAN KICK THE IMMIGRANTS OUT!!!!!!!!! WE'RE GREAT BRITAIN AFTER ALL!! NONE OF THAT BULLSHIT FROM BRUSSELS CAN STOP US NOW.

YESSSSSSSSSS!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

As we're torturing ourselves to death, we can proudly proclaim our FREEEDOOOOM!
tumblr_mabzgeaOHk1qb3c5n.gif

Maledict

no way pensioners do not get hit if there is 66 billion shortfall

Bets? Pensioners are the most reliable voting base, and the conservative party relies on them desperately (as do labour to a lesser extent). No way a tory party will reduce pensioner budgets with a majority of 12.

Tak3n

Banned
Bets? Pensioners are the most reliable voting base, and the conservative party relies on them desperately (as do labour to a lesser extent). No way a tory party will reduce pensioner budgets with a majority of 12.

True, but there must be a breaking point, I simply can not see where you could get another 66 Billion from.... without raising taxes

Apenheul

I thought I'd look what UK news outlets make of it and then came across Express (co.uk). No mention of the hard brexit costing £66bn a year but the headline is about EU planning to bully the UK by closing the borders for 24 hours, that Eurozone banks are in DEEP trouble, and that Italy will lead the EU exodus.

Timbuktu

I thought I'd look what UK news outlets make of it and then came across Express (co.uk). No mention of the hard brexit costing £66bn a year but the headline is about EU planning to bully the UK by closing the borders for 24 hours, that Eurozone banks are in DEEP trouble, and that Italy will lead the EU exodus.

They probably didn't even mention the pound plunging last friday. The Express might be the worst and most blatant of the lot.

The Express is a joke. Any serious Leave voter has far better sources for their argument than that rag.

Tak3n

Banned
Mervyn King Former Bank of England

He was told the danger of Brexit was

Lower House Prices
Higher Interest Rates
Lower Exchange Rate

He said that is exactly what the BOE have been trying to achieve over the years!

It was a Sky news interview

kmag

Mervyn King Former Bank of England

He was told the danger of Brexit was

Lower House Prices
Higher Interest Rates
Lower Exchange Rate

He said that is exactly what the BOE have been trying to achieve over the years!

Are you ready for the knock effects of this? Less purchasing power and a lower standard of living?

True, but there must be a breaking point, I simply can not see where you could get another 66 Billion from.... without raising taxes

y8naOKH.png

Add the poor and the disabled in there too

oh and teachers, i expect a junior doctor contract "negotiation" in their future

It's quite depressing for someone like me (oh, the woes of my privileged life) that, in 2015, I voted for an ideal (a pretty negative one, really: fuck the Tories, get me some Labour) over pragmatism (Tories are the steady hand on the tiller [supposedly], which won them the day), and then in 2016 I voted for pragmatism (EU stability, don't rock the boat, yeah I dislike X, but I value Y more) and idealism (fuck the EU, rule Britannia, the EU will die, sovereignty and trade deals, doncha know) wins that battle.

God damn it.

jelly

PJV3

Don't worry, everyone will be lining up with us over a barrel in trade dealings because we will be grovelling, we take what is given meaning worst trade deals that are not in our favour in any way.

Also, have people forgetton the EU funding disappearing on top of that. Cities are all asking for the government to match the EU investment that will be lost. Good luck with that.

On the plus side we can once again pollute our rivers and beaches free of EuroNazi interference.

Volotaire

The tabloids are bad apart from some of their investigative journalism exploits but looking at the main broadsheets - the FT, Guardian (front page on finance section) have not implemented (Telegraph and Times have) it on their front pages either. It's still a developing story. Moreover, the Eurozone banking structural weaknesses is still a large and legitimate issue.

Dougald

It's quite depressing for someone like me (oh, the woes of my privileged life) that, in 2015, I voted for an ideal (a pretty negative one, really: fuck the Tories, get me some Labour) over pragmatism (Tories are the steady hand on the tiller [supposedly], which won them the day), and then in 2016 I voted for pragmatism (EU stability, don't rock the boat, yeah I dislike X, but I value Y more) and idealism (fuck the EU, rule Britannia, the EU will die, sovereignty and trade deals, doncha know) wins that battle.

God damn it.

Welcome to voting in the UK, with the exception of the referendum (which you lost), your vote is normally worthless anyway thanks to FPTP. I'm principled enough to vote at every election, but jaded by the system so much that I hate the inevitable pointlessness of doing so

GamingKaiju

God damn it.

I feel the same :(

Voted torys (Dont shame me) in 2015 because I felt that they were the only party that could lead the UK at the time. I ignored Dave's pledge for an EU Ref because let’s face it many candidate’s pledge this and that and never deliver on them. Voted Remain and now I have to deal with all this bullshit.

The current PM seems to be making things worst ATM I really hope she has something up her sleeve.

There are many in my social circle who are starting to feel the effects of the EU ref and I've told them this only the beginning unless the Govt gets a credible plan in place and soon. (they didn't vote in the EU ref.)

Audioboxer

Voted torys (Dont shame me) in 2015 because I felt that they were the only party that could lead the UK at the time. I ignored Dave's pledge for an EU Ref because let’s face it many candidate’s pledge this and that and never deliver on them. Voted Remain and now I have to deal with all this bullshit.

The current PM seems to be making things worst ATM I really hope she has something up her sleeve.

There are many in my social circle who are starting to feel the effects of the EU ref and I've told them this only the beginning unless the Govt gets a credible plan in place and soon. (they didn't vote in the EU ref.)

Yeahhhhh.... That is usually when I lose 95% of my empathy. There's no excuse not to have voted, especially not when postal votes are a thing for busy people. It's soo frustrating when people use hindsight to say I should have voted/I voted wrongly.

Maedre

Banned
With the pound going to shit for UK holiday makers, enjoy the UK beaches for a holiday! Countryside holiday, lets go fracking.

but on the other side its now so much cheaper to make holiday in the Uk. As a kid i was very often in Cornwall,near Truro. I would love to visit this area for the first time in 15 years. Visiting Lizard point again and the many gardens. :)

Dougald

Yeahhhhh.... That is usually when I lose 95% of my empathy. There's no excuse not to have voted, especially not when postal votes are a thing for busy people.

Even if you don't register for a postal ballot you get a window of 15 hours to travel what for most people will be less than a mile from home for about 5 minutes

GamingKaiju

Yeahhhhh.... That is usually when I lose 95% of my empathy. There's no excuse not to have voted, especially not when postal votes are a thing for busy people. It's soo frustrating when people use hindsight to say I should have voted/I voted wrongly.

Yep. But they didn't quite understand what the EU was and how it works, nor the benefits we received from being in it. I told them as well it was a very close vote so those few votes could have made the difference.

I think this was the problem with many who voted leave they didn't quite understand what the EU was and the implications from leaving. (Even though we still don't know what Brexit means)

Edit:

Welcome to voting in the UK, with the exception of the referendum (which you lost), your vote is normally worthless anyway thanks to FPTP. I'm principled enough to vote at every election, but jaded by the system so much that I hate the inevitable pointlessness of doing so

Totally agree. The voting system in the UK is a farce and makes me wonder is there any point in voting in the next GE if Labour still have Cobryn. (I won't vote for him nor TM)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't the BOEs sole remit supposed to be controlling inflation?

Well, yes and no. The BoE's sole remit is ensuring inflation hits the 2% target, but if growth in demand isn't the same as growth in supply, inflation changes, so they are indirectly concerned with growth even when their end-goal is solely inflation. As it is, the BoE has other tacit end goals in their own right as well, of which growth and employment are a few.

Even if you don't register for a postal ballot you get a window of 15 hours to travel what for most people will be less than a mile from home for about 5 minutes

I wonder what the exact rate of people who live in the immediate vicinity of voting stations that also vote are. I live literally opposite one and still I get the vague sense not everyone in the same general range votes.

Well, yes and no. The BoE's sole remit is ensuring inflation hits the 2% target, but if growth in demand isn't the same as growth in supply, inflation changes, so they are indirectly concerned with growth even when their end-goal is solely inflation. As it is, the BoE has other tacit end goals in their own right as well, of which growth and employment are a few.

I thought this remit - encouraging growth as a tool of managing inflation - was directly conferred to them semi-recently, as opposed to just informally as it was previously?

The Government wants this to happen. They're deliberately doing it to achieve brexit utopia. And lol, why do people throw away their vote on this extremely important thing? If more young people voted instead of going to Glastonbury then things would not be this bad now and we would be staying in the EU.

Also, Norway rejects the prospect of a trade deal.

https://www.thelocal.no/20161010/norway-rejected-post-brexit-cooperation-with-uk

Not staying in the single market will lose the country tons of money. Is May so insane that she would leave it? Losing billions is worse than immigrants 'taking all the jobs'. Soon there will be not enough jobs and shittier living standards!

If more young people voted instead of going to Glastonbury then things would not be this bad now and we would be staying in the EU

This is obviously not true. 135,000 went to Glastonbury. Even if you assume a very worst case where they all voted leave and were to change their vote to remain, the result would have been the same.

Dougald

Interesting stuff thanks - my knowledge on the subject is based on what I can remember from a B in A-Level economics in the early 2000s

Nicktendo86

Not sure why this is suddenly a new scoop for the Times, it is the same report that the Treasury released in April (or based on the same data anyway) and the arguments over it have already been had. It's a worst case scenario, it is notoriously difficult to predict what will happen in a year not to mention 15 years, the treasury have been notorious for dodgy stats and reports hence why the OBR was set up in the first place etc etc etc.

Not sure why this is suddenly a new scoop for the Times, it is the same report that the Treasury released in April (or based on the same data anyway) and the arguments over it have already been had. It's a worst case scenario, it is notoriously difficult to predict what will happen in a year not to mention 15 years, the treasury have been notorious for dodgy stats and reports hence why the OBR was set up in the first place etc etc etc.

And Mervyn King came out all "Chill out, muffheads."

I'm actually quite supportive of heavily regulated fracking. It doesn't seem to visually impact the environment and the scare stories have been subject to much scrutiny and found to be generally false.
Wind turbines on the other hand are a fucking blot on our landscape and need tearing down and moving out to sea.

Jackpot

Banned
Wind turbines on the other hand are a fucking blot on our landscape and need tearing down.

What? Because they spoil your view? That's the weakest argument against them. It'd be like being against hydrogen cars because you don't like the colour.

50% of Scotland's electricity came from renewables. Just last August, they had a day where wind power alone generated 106% of the energy needed.

What? Because they spoil your view? That's the weakest argument against them. It'd be like being against hydrogen cars because you don't like the colour.

50% of Scotland's electricity came from renewables. Just last August, they had a day where wind power alone generated 106% of the energy needed.
I don't want to go off topic,however, I'm not against renewable energy but they are horrible and everywhere. The wind farms out at sea are fantastic and far less intrusive on my country walks.
I'm allowed to be selfish when my opinion won't change a thing anyway and I've never officially complained. Its just an " old man shouts at cloud " type of rant.

I'm actually quite supportive of heavily regulated fracking. It doesn't seem to visually impact the environment and the scare stories have been subject to much scrutiny and found to be generally false.
Wind turbines on the other hand are a fucking blot on our landscape and need tearing down.

What the what the what am I reading here?

I don't want to go off topic,however, I'm not against renewable energy but they are horrible and everywhere. The wind farms out at sea are fantastic and far less intrusive on my country walks.
I'm allowed to be selfish when my opinion won't change a thing anyway and I've never officially complained. Its just an " old man shouts at cloud " type of rant.
Consider that every technology needs to evolve.

One large wind turbine produced in 2016 can produce as much energy as two or more which have been produced in 2005, let alone in the 90s.

The faster we reach 100% renewable energy, the better for our society (environment, conflicts about oil, etc.).

And wind farms look cool in real life. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom