• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what the exact rate of people who live in the immediate vicinity of voting stations that also vote are. I live literally opposite one and still I get the vague sense not everyone in the same general range votes.

Everyone could have a voting booth in their living room and many people wouldn't bother or forget to vote... smh

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I thought this remit - encouraging growth as a tool of managing inflation - was directly conferred to them semi-recently, as opposed to just informally as it was previously?

Not unless I missed something. People talk about NGDP targeting all the time but I don't think any central bank has actually done anything about it.

oti

Banned
I'm actually quite supportive of heavily regulated fracking. It doesn't seem to visually impact the environment and the scare stories have been subject to much scrutiny and found to be generally false.
Wind turbines on the other hand are a fucking blot on our landscape and need tearing down and moving out to sea.

Priorities.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...oint-trade-taskforce-report-eea-eu?CMP=twt_gu

Norway has turned down a request from Britain to set up a formal joint taskforce aimed at preparing a post-Brexit free trade deal between the two countries, Norwegian media have reported.

The business daily Dagens Næringsliv said the international trade minister, Liam Fox, asked Norway’s trade and industry minster, Monica Mæland, to form a bilateral trade working group at a meeting between the two ministers and their officials on 14 September.

The request was passed to the Norwegian foreign affairs ministry, which is coordinating Norway’s Brexit response, where it was rejected as likely to jeopardise Norway’s European Economic Area (EEA) agreement and “inappropriate” while Britain was still a full member of the EU, the paper said.

Now I wait for the Norwegian salmon to thrown in Thames and for future British Salmon Party.

Christopher Hope Verified account
‏@christopherhope

BREAKING Government rules out recommissioning #Royalyacht Britannia currently berthed in Edinburgh

Oh noooooooooooooooooooo disaster

Next we'll not be getting blue passports or imperial measurements. Surely this is the stuff that the Brexiters are pinning their hopes and dreams on. Along with the racism and xenophobia obvs.

theaface

Tim Farron, the Lib Dem leader, said: “This is the latest rebuff, this time from Norway, to the government that doesn’t have a plan or, frankly, have a clue.

“The Tory government is scrabbling around for even a scrap of good news while we charge headlong towards a hard Brexit. The Liberal Democrats are the real opposition to this Tory Brexit government.”

No lies detected.

Irminsul

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...oint-trade-taskforce-report-eea-eu?CMP=twt_gu
Now I wait for the Norwegian salmon to thrown in Thames and for future British Salmon Party.
Great comments under that piece:

Currently the UK looks like this drunken guy which running around, trying to persuade everybody to join his soon to be successful startup.
A drunken guy with beer goggles, thinking everyone is in love with him, and waking up in bed next day with Liechtenstein.

"Lord Nelson, Lord Beaverbrook, Sir Winston Churchill, Sir Anthony Eden, Clement Attlee, Henry Cooper, Lady Diana, vi har slått dem alle sammen, vi har slått dem alle sammen! (we have beaten them all, we have beaten them all!). Liam Fox, can you hear me? Liam Fox ... your boys took a hell of a beating! Your boys took a hell of a beating!"
(Reference for that last one)

theaface

Indeed, but they also don't have the strength to be effective opposition, they are hardly even visible at the moment.

It's a damn shame. They appear far more credible than Labour at this point. It's regrettable that the media don't give them the coverage they deserve.

In hindsight, I think the public (myself included) gave the Lib Dems a disproportionately hard time in the wake of the coalition. The recent past has shown how effective they were in forcing the government to take a more moderate stance.

Timbuktu

It's a damn shame. They appear far more credible than Labour at this point. It's regrettable that the media don't give them the coverage they deserve.

In hindsight, I think the public (myself included) gave the Lib Dems a disproportionately hard time in the wake of the coalition. The recent past has shown how effective they were in forcing the government to take a more moderate stance.

I voted Lib Dem in 2010 and subsequently felt disappointed with Clegg, but you are right in that Clegg deserve more credit in moderating the worst Tory tendencies for those years. At the end, it is probably still politically naive to do so as they have sacrificed the party and now the unelected Conservatives cabinet have a free reign to do whatever, while no one knows who Tim Farron is.

Xando

Saw this on twitter and couldn't help but laugh at this

CufuiOCXYAAZr5z.jpg

What's it like working in Ireland? I might go that route to retain my EU citizenship (because Common Travel Area). On the other Brexit deep end thread I asked about working in sweden but it seems to be unachievable in a mere 2 years.

Kathian

Banned
I thought the EU said no negotiation with individual parts of countries? Otherwise Scotland should get associated status too. I would move there if that was the case. A win win solution because Remainers can go there and Leavers can stay down in England and Wales and have their hard without lube brexit.

Izuna

Banned
So it looks like my Mom FINALLY started to understand that Brexit was a mistake, only because the Euro is reaching parity with the Pound in airports.

"I don't understand why Norway is fine outside the EU though."

It's too late to explain this again.

edit: GUYS WTF, $1.21?!

I voted Lib Dem in 2010 and subsequently felt disappointed with Clegg, but you are right in that Clegg deserve more credit in moderating the worst Tory tendencies for those years. At the end, it is probably still politically naive to do so as they have sacrificed the party and now the unelected Conservatives cabinet have a free reign to do whatever, while no one knows who Tim Farron is.

Yeah, it's the unfortunate issue we've got with only 8 MPs. Farron will be around for a while though, so there's plenty of time for folks to get to know him.

Bleepey

So it looks like my Mom FINALLY started to understand that Brexit was a mistake, only because the Euro is reaching parity with the Pound in airports.

Took back control! With the banking sector upping sticks why are the Tories stil YOLOing this shit. You'd think if Blair was in power, he could whisper in the ear of Big Business and encourage them to donate their money to the party not trying to cripple and chase away the financial sector.

Edit: what happened to ZOMGWTFBBQ or whatever his name was. It would have been nice to have his input being a banker and all.

Faddy

Banned

Part of that is the dollar rising on Trump getting annihilated.

Lirlond

I just want to chime in and say, am I the only person who thinks wind farms look awesome? When you look down from a hill and see them in the distance its pretty striking.

DiGiKerot

I just want to chime in and say, am I the only person who thinks wind farms look awesome? When you look down from a hill and see them in the distance its pretty striking.

I love the look of wind farms. There's some on the outskirts of the next town over I drive near on my commute to work, and they look damn cool.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
This is what I was thinking of. See paragraph 2 on page 4:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...qJNVUuol9L2cU0mTA&sig2=HMdmDFk69kD3GT1Kx_C2lQ

That url's fucked but it should work. Apparently it was part of the 2013 budget.

I think you've misread. When it says:

The remit for the MPC at Budget 2013 is part of the Government’s economic strategy, which
consists of four key pillars:

it doesn't mean that the remit for the MPC is changed to consist of those four pillars, it means that the remit for the MPC is designed to support those pillars (via low, stable inflation).

The actual changes to the MPC's remit are the following phrases in red, which are very minor changes - the govt wanted the MPC to be more forward looking when setting inflation (this is wonkspeak for "plz keep interest rates low, our reelection depends on it"), and making the MPC's governor write a letter to the Chancellor more regularly (wonkspeak for "we're keeping an eye on you bastards over there").

so what's the odds of Scotland getting this associate membership then like Northern Ireland seems to be going for?

Well, I believe the basis of this idea is that its the Republic of Ireland that would pay NI's membership fees on its behalf, due to the cultural ties and trade that happens between the two. That this relationship is valuable enough to the Irish state for them to do their neighbours a solid.

I'm really not sure who exactly Scotland would have in that same sort of camp.

Acorn

so what's the odds of Scotland getting this associate membership then like Northern Ireland seems to be going for?
I wouldn't put too much stock into this. Ignoring the other roadblocks.

Can you see the dup and british govt okaying this? DUP campaigned for leave.

Sordid

I live in a wee town in Scotland and we have quite a few turbines dotted about. A few of old locals moan about the 'countryside being ruined!' but I think they look great.

Lucreto

Northern Ireland aren't going for it. It was just suggested by an Irish MEP, nor is it likely to happen.

Ireland should rather partner up with Scotland than Northern Ireland. The way things currently stand they can stay with the UK and claim Irish passport and keep their EU benefits. They can have their cake and eat it too.

Scotland doesn't have such luxury.

kharma45

I would rather partner up with Scotland than Northern Ireland. The way things currently stand they can stay with the UK and claim Irish passport and keep their EU benefits. They can have their cake and eat it too.

Scotland doesn't have such luxury.

Who is I here? The republic?

Northern Ireland won't keep their EU benefits if you mean funding. Once the UK leaves it goes too.

People in NI can keep their EU citizenship by claiming an Irish passport. I'd say Scotland needs to try their hardest to keep the EU perks. The people of Scotland need them more lest we be stuck together on an island prison.

kharma45

True we'd still be able to claim dual citizenship and have free movement with an Irish passport. I was thinking more of financial benefits as a state rather than on a personal level.

I think you've misread. When it says:

it doesn't mean that the remit for the MPC is changed to consist of those four pillars, it means that the remit for the MPC is designed to support those pillars (via low, stable inflation).

The actual changes to the MPC's remit are the following phrases in red, which are very minor changes - the govt wanted the MPC to be more forward looking when setting inflation (this is wonkspeak for "plz keep interest rates low, our reelection depends on it"), and making the MPC's governor write a letter to the Chancellor more regularly (wonkspeak for "we're keeping an eye on you bastards over there").

I see! Well, whatever, they love growth and that. That's my takeaway.

Faddy

Banned
Well, I believe the basis of this idea is that its the Republic of Ireland that would pay NI's membership fees on its behalf, due to the cultural ties and trade that happens between the two. That this relationship is valuable enough to the Irish state for them to do their neighbours a solid.

I'm really not sure who exactly Scotland would have in that same sort of camp.

Republic of Ireland get more back than they put in to the EU. So would Northern Ireland if you broke down the UK balance sheet.

Membership fees are hardly a burden.

sam777

£1:$1.21 is fucking ridiculous. This should never have happened and I can bet a lot of brexiters will be regretting their vote now, pillocks.

kharma45

Republic of Ireland get more back than they put in to the EU. So would Northern Ireland if you broke down the UK balance sheet.

Membership fees are hardly a burden.

Between 2007 and 2020 our EU grants total €7bn. We're a slight beneficiary, not by as much as I thought.

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/business/where-do-eu-grants-to-northern-ireland-go-1-7233873

he UK made a gross contribution of £12.9bn in 2015. Northern Ireland has about 3% of the UK's population so its contribution can be estimated at £374m.

In terms of what comes back, subsidies for farming and fishing, alongside structural funds were £320m in 2015.

Special peace and cross-border funds added about £50m - though we'll stop getting much of that money after 2020.

There are also science, education and research funds - they're at least £10m a year.

So Northern Ireland is probably still a beneficiary of the EU, or at the very least breaks even.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-36445164

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom