• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xando

£1:$1.21 is fucking ridiculous. This should never have happened and I can bet a lot of brexiters will be regretting their vote now, pillocks.
I remember when Brexit happened the predictions were the pound going to 1.25 at worst 1.23.
Wonder where it'll stabilize after Art. 50 is triggered.

Theonik

I remember when Brexit happened the predictions were the pound going to 1.25 at worst 1.23.
Wonder where it'll stabilize after Art. 50 is triggered.
I think I was on the 1.20 to 1.25 camp actually. We never did get to see the eating of the shoe though.

Kathian

Banned
Am getting a slight panicy sense from Brexiters now. They want to silence any criticism and get it all done as quickly as possible as they've realised things are suddenly not looking as cheery as immediate economic results suggested. Low interest rates likely did the job of keeping up spending in the short term.

Meanwhile the pound is clearly on a one way trend. No doubt the right will start debating what EU laws make us 'uncompetitive' quite soon.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
It'll be disruptive, and the lion's share of trade to the EU will still be limbo, but I wonder if the U.S., Canada, and Australia could be convinced to ignore the EU and work out a trade deal anyways.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Spoke to a guy at work about brexit.
At some point he says 'the EU is crumbling. Lots of different countries are leaving too. We're just the first.' I honestly had to wait a few seconds before I responded because I didn't know whether he was being sarcastic or not.

It'll be disruptive, and the lion's share of trade to the EU will still be limbo, but I wonder if the U.S., Canada, and Australia could be convinced to ignore the EU and work out a trade deal anyways.

Considering that pretty much all of those stand to benefit more from EU access than UK access that seems unlikely. They won't break EU rules about negotiating with a member state publicly.

Pancake Mix

Considering that pretty much all of those stand to benefit more from EU access than UK access that seems unlikely. They won't break EU rules about negotiating with a member state publicly.

The EU rules against negotiating trade deals with foreign countries before exiting are incredibly punitive.

The EU rules against negotiating trade deals with foreign countries before exiting are incredibly punitive.

No, it's not, it's perfectly logical. The reason why you can't negotiate with states within the union should be obvious (it defeats the point of the union by allowing the other party to attempt to set the members against each other). And until you exit you're still a member of the union and thus have the rights and responsibilities thereof.

Pancake Mix

No, it's not, it's perfectly logical. The reason why you can't negotiate with states within the union should be obvious (it defeats the point of the union by allowing the other party to attempt to set the members against each other). And until you exit you're still a member of the union and thus have the rights and responsibilities thereof.

I wasn't speaking about prior to triggering an exit.

My understanding is that you can't even negotiate in the 2 years after triggering Article 50 for deals to come into effect after leaving the EU. That is incredibly punitive as at the end of two years you could already have some non-European deals on the table in the event of a hard exit, and instead you have to spend the entire time dealing with Brussels.

That's an unnecessary handicap only meant to discourage leaving.

Burai

shitonmychest57
The front pages of the Mail and Express today are absolute shit-shows;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-37626523

The blame game begins in earnest as our economy spirals into the depths of hell.

It's the people who voted remain's fault. It's Ed Miliband's fault, it's Nick Clegg's fault, it's Brussels' fault, it's foreign investors' fault. Trying to take their freedom and control away by merely having a dissenting opinion.

Guess who's fault it isn't and never will be...

Burai

shitonmychest57
I wasn't speaking about prior to triggering an exit.

My understanding is that you can't even negotiate in the 2 years after triggering Article 50 for deals to come into effect after leaving the EU. That is incredibly punitive as at the end of two years you could already have some non-European deals on the table in the event of a hard exit, and instead you have to spend the entire time dealing with Brussels.

No, it's a necessary handicap to stop leaving countries from holding the union to ransom.

And besides, nobody is going to strike a deal with us in the two years anyway. We don't know what our deal with the EU will be so any deal we sign in that time won't be worth the paper it's written on.

Dougald

The blame game begins in earnest as our economy spirals into the depths of hell.

It's the people who voted remain's fault. It's Ed Miliband's fault, it's Nick Clegg's fault, it's Brussels' fault, it's foreign investors' fault. Trying to take their freedom and control away by merely having a dissenting opinion.

The level of cognitive dissonance is incredible

excowboy

The boss of JD Wetherspoon was just on BBC Breakfast. As a massive Leave campaigner they asked him about the pound and the effect on his business... "The pound goes up and down so its basically fine - the record stock market index tells you all you need to know! At least we have our own currency, not like the Euro, look at Greece, 50% youth unemployment, we don't want that do we?!"

FFS.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
The level of cognitive dissonance is incredible

I read a really great opinion piece on The Guardian yesterday (that I'm now struggling to find) that describes bluntly the UK's over-reliance on our history as a comfort blanket, and that all too often the public, and worryingly people of power, refer to examples of events hundreds of years old as examples of why we're fine on our own.

The boss of JD Wetherspoon was just on BBC Breakfast. As a massive Leave campaigner they asked him about the pound and the effect on his business... "The pound goes up and down so its basically fine - the record stock market index tells you all you need to know! At least we have our own currency, not like the Euro, look at Greece, 50% youth unemployment, we don't want that do we?!"

FFS.

It could be worse. Imagine if we had the Australian Dollar - we'd have all those venomous snakes to deal with.

Xun

That Express article reads like the type of Brexit voter I was mimicking earlier.

"DEAL WITH IT, IT'S A DEMOCRACY. WE MUST ACTIVATE ARTICLE 50 NOW AND BE DONE WITH BRUSSELS!!!!!"

Is it wrong to wish financial pain on such people?

Kathian

Banned
Spoke to a guy at work about brexit.
At some point he says 'the EU is crumbling. Lots of different countries are leaving too. We're just the first.' I honestly had to wait a few seconds before I responded because I didn't know whether he was being sarcastic or not.

Same people who think Europe is bankrupt and because they can't understand it reject the idea parts of Europe are doing quite well.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

It's to stop countries 'blackmailing' the EU - if you could leave and then immediately start negotiating with other countries, your position in the Article 50 negotiations would be much stronger, which is worse for the EU. It does also discourage leaving because it means you'll probably get a bad deal if you do try to leave, but the primary purpose is to make sure the EU gets its way in any exit negotiations (which is why you get the bad deal), and that is very much a necessary policy from the perspective of the EU.

Also, the US, Australia, Canada and so on won't attempt to do a deal with us regardless - they'll prioritize the EU, who they all do more trade with. We'll be second pickings.

I read a really great opinion piece on The Guardian yesterday (that I'm now struggling to find) that describes bluntly the UK's over-reliance on our history as a comfort blanket, and that all too often the public, and worryingly people of power, refer to examples of events hundreds of years old as examples of why we're fine on our own.

It could be worse. Imagine if we had the Australian Dollar - we'd have all those venomous spiders to deal with.

The spiders are actually relatively safe, we've had 0 confirmed deaths since 1979, since we have good anti-venemes (though some of the venoms are certainly not pleasant to experience and you should definitely get to a hospital).

It's the venomous snakes you need to worry about, we've got good anti-venemes and we still get 1-2 deaths per year.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
The spiders are actually relatively safe, we've had 0 confirmed deaths since 1979, since we have good anti-venemes (though some of the venoms are certainly not pleasant to experience and you should definitely get to a hospital).

It's the venemous snakes you need to worry about, we've got good anti-venemes and we still get 1-2 deaths per year.

Thank you for the correction, I've edited my post for accuracy.

You get my point, though.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
I hope Northern Ireland leaves UK and rejoins based Ireland now ☘️

Do those MP have any idea what they are talking about?

Probably not. The thing is, a lot of the basic concepts involved in leaving the EU are things people have never even considered in terms of actual feasibility until this year, because it was never especially necessary to know.

Tak3n

Banned
Labour have tabled 170 question for the house to discuss......

IMO they are in danger of belittling it, and I get they want to prove a point, but 170 just seems silly to me

Tak3n

Banned
I see May has backed down and will now allow parliament to discuss he plans.... I could kind of see her point, The EU will now know exactly what we want before we even get there... it is a fine balancing act this one...the need for keeping your cards close to your chest whilst getting parliaments aprroval

Dougald

I see May has backed down and will now allow parliament to discuss he plans.... I could kind of see her point, The EU will now know exactly what we want before we even get there... it is a fine balancing act this one...the need for keeping your cards close to your chest whilst getting parliaments aprroval

If this is going to be the case, I don't know why she doesn't just call a general election. Would give the conservatives a much bigger majority if polls are to be believed

Not that I'm complaining

Maledict

You cannot possible argue that we should leave the EU to retake our sovereignty and then argue parliament shouldn't be involved in the process.

Bearing in mind that the EUs stance will need agreeing by both the EU parliament and every nation state most likely, we're hardly talking clandestine affairs here.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

The secrecy serves only as a argument to avoid the Parliament. EU has openly stated what are the conditions, for example that if UK wants access to the single markets it should comply with all 4 freedoms. So practically the Parliament should decide what's more important for UK. It's not so complicated. If in the end the negotiated deal is different, she can seek again the approval of the Parliament.

Maledict

If this is going to be the case, I don't know why she doesn't just call a general election. Would give the conservatives a much bigger majority if polls are to be believed

Not that I'm complaining

Tory leave MPs were pushing for this - it's not just a remain tactic. There's a general feeling on both sides in the house that they should be involved, so increasing her majority wouldn't really help there.

Dougald

Tory leave MPs were pushing for this - it's not just a remain tactic. There's a general feeling on both sides in the house that they should be involved, so increasing her majority wouldn't really help there.

Well, if it's going to be debated and voted on, surely a larger Tory majority is good (for her?)

Tak3n

Banned
You cannot possible argue that we should leave the EU to retake our sovereignty and then argue parliament shouldn't be involved in the process.

Bearing in mind that the EUs stance will need agreeing by both the EU parliament and every nation state most likely, we're hardly talking clandestine affairs here.

No, quite the opposite, my concern here (rightly or wrongly) is the vast majority of MP's want to remain, and TBH this is such a fundamental shift that we need a cohesive push to achieve the best outcome if as they say we are 100% leaving.... of course this is why we pay these people, but I just dont want to see 2 years of political point scoring, and would really like it if there could be a cross part consensus (never going to happen)

PJV3

DAMN!! That sentence is absolutely brutal about the state of the Labour party atm.

To be honest, how does a political party provide opposition to the will of the people and a hostile press.

Reality is the only thing that can wake the country up.

Maledict

No, quite the opposite, my concern here (rightly or wrongly) is the vast majority of MP's want to remain, and TBH this is such a fundamental shift that we need a cohesive push to achieve the best outcome if as they say we are 100% leaving.... of course this is why we pay these people, but I just dont want to see 2 years of political point scoring, and would really like it if there could be a cross part consensus (never going to happen)

Then vote them out at the next election in favor of a hard Brexit MP. That's how our democracy works.

And there is a cross party consensus. It's to stay in the EU.

Well, if it's going to be debated and voted on, surely a larger Tory majority is good (for her?)

But it's not really going to split along partisan lines, I don't think. The campaign wasn't along partisan lines, and I suspect there are plenty of Labour MPs out there who don't see EEA membership as a viable alternative.

Dougald

But it's not really going to split along partisan lines, I don't think. The campaign wasn't along partisan lines, and I suspect there are plenty of Labour MPs out there who don't see EEA membership as a viable alternative.

Looking at the Conservative party right now, you'd almost forget half of them were backing remain 6 months ago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom