• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't even imagine how I'd feel if Germany decided to take my EU citizenship from me. I feel European (which is not the same as EU citizen but you get what I mean) first and foremost.

That's absolutely how I feel. It's really shitty. My only saving grace is that I'd probably be eligible for a (hopefully EU) passport from an independent Scotland.

It just hurts to think about it - the people have voted to take part of my identity away from me. So bizarre.

Audioboxer

I wouldn't blame Scotland either. I lived there for 5 years and loved it. I'd be gutted if they left though, as it'd mean strengthening the Tories down here, plus I secretly wish they'd take me with them.

I'd say the biggest task faced right now is hate crime. Although the Tories are partially to blame for that. I branched that off into its own topic as it deserves full scrutiny of international GAF rather than just been kept to a post in here.

I'm English but my family heritage is deeply Scottish. I will be very sad if Scotland leaves the union as it is a part of me that I will lose a bit of touch with, but I will understand. Brexit is a disaster and is similarly taking away part of who I am. And I can't blame Scotland for wanting to bail from that mess.

_72269260_13b3ed09-732b-4fb3-bbb0-09bccb6bf43a.jpg

?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I think Sturgeon might have misjudged that one. I'd have left it til later in her position.

Farewell Scotland.

Take me with you.

Bro lives in Edinburgh, he'll sneak me in.

:'(

RULE BRITANNIA, BRITANNIA RULES THE WAVES
WE WILL NEVER EVER... ADMIT THAT WE FUCKED THE COUNTRY INTO BREAKING UP
LA LA LA LAAAAALA LA, LA, LAA, LAAAAHH

Audioboxer

I'm English but my family heritage is deeply Scottish. I will be very sad if Scotland leaves the union as it is a part of me that I will lose a bit of touch with, but I will understand. Brexit is a disaster and is similarly taking away part of who I am. And I can't blame Scotland for wanting to bail from that mess.

As long as you can understand Scottish, moan up!

Here is an understand Scottish test, Kevin Bridges https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRo9d4Gxj3I

Audioboxer

I got everything, when can I move?

I can always sense the disappointment in the voices of my Scottish colleagues when they call me for the first time and hear my dull home counties english accent, given my very Scottish name.

We'll convert you, we can't have a Scottish name without a Scottish accent!

Dougal is Scottish masculine given name.

Variants of Dougal include: Dugald, Dougald and Dugal. A pet form of Dougal is Dougie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dougal_(given_name)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'm actually pretty disappointed in the SNP for doing this now. I think it massively weakens their hand with respect to making Brexit as soft as possible, which hurts Scotland if indyref2 doesn't result in independence. Seems more like grandstanding to me than an actual coherent plan.

Audioboxer

I'm actually pretty disappointed in the SNP for doing this now. I think it massively weakens their hand with respect to making Brexit as soft as possible, which hurts Scotland if indyref2 doesn't result in independence. Seems more like grandstanding to me than an actual coherent plan.

Brexit isn't being made soft no matter what, and that is up to the Tories anyway. They're the ones proposing a hard Brexit, heck our unelected PM is backing it.

The SNP are doing what their supporters want, not what other English people may or may not want. You're suppose to push the Government you backed into doing that. Not relying solely on the Scottish Government to do so. This is the annual party conference, as in it's once a year. Do you really expect them to wait till October 2017? This is the time to lay down short to mid-term plans.

Considering a independence referendum bill is going to be produced for next week for consultation I don't know how it's grandstanding. Grandstanding would be acting like article 50 being triggered and screaming that a bill is coming, but giving no concrete date.

Unsurprisingly the announcement of the referendum bill got the loudest cheers and a standing ovation. I'm not that interested if that annoys you or anyone else, just backing up what I said above as in the party are announcing something supporters wanted to hear.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

I guess their hoping for the EU to let them stay in as a F you to the rest of the UK. Either way England is fucked and the pound is done for. An economic recession will be the least of our problems if this eruption of shit blows off. Irony being if Scotland manages to stay in the EU or joins in the near future by a miracle good luck getting immigration under control, this whole shit sandwich would have been done for absolute nothing.

Nationalism and xenophobia don't you just love it.

Aki-at

London doesn't want Scotland to leave because they don't want to be left alone with all the loony bins.

We'd gladly relinquish our rights to be the capital and opt to be one of Scotland's major cities.

We don't care which number as long as we're part of Scotland.

Unlike where we were a couple of years back at the time of the first independence referendum, and the events since June 23rd, I have no major objections to the SNP wanting to hold a second attempt at leaving the UK so soon after the first. The Brexit vote results in Scotland give them a massive basis on which to push for a second indy vote.

If Scotland does decide to cut ties and politically run, I wish them every success.

Presumably though there would be a lot of legal issues and wrangling with Westminster to deal with before a second vote would even be allowed though?

Morat

Banned
I think Sturgeon might have misjudged that one. I'd have left it til later in her position.

Yeah seems a bit early. If anything it will rile up the loonier Brexiters who still haven't been forced to confront the full consequences of their decision.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The SNP are doing what their supporters want, not what other English people may or may not want. You're suppose to push the Government you backed into doing that. Not relying solely on the Scottish Government to do so.

First, I'm not English, I'm Welsh. Second, even if I was English, not everything an English person says is some giant conspiracy against Scotland. I didn't say this was a poor plan because it doesn't help England. I said it was a poor plan because it hurts Scotland.

You really need to cut down on the jingoism.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I wonder how keen the Scottish public is to leave the UK. I see a lot of Scottish people here really keen for it, but we have a lot of Scottish colleagues and customers, and every one of them I've spoken to has said they would look at moving south of the border - one even comparing an indy Scotland to a third world nation.

Audioboxer

First, I'm not English, I'm Welsh. Second, even if I was English, not everything an English person says is some giant conspiracy against Scotland. I didn't say this was a poor plan because it doesn't help England. I said it was a poor plan because it hurts Scotland.

You really need to cut down on the jingoism.

Well I gathered you weren't Scottish or at the very least must be a leave voter. I don't know how this hurts Scotland given that most of our country wants to stay in the EU and most certainly does not want a hard Brexit.

I think some people need to understand what a proposal bill is as well, it's not something stating we are acting on indyref2 right now, it's proposing what MAY happen if we do.

Brexit has shown us acting without a plan is not the best of ideas.

I wonder how keen the Scottish public is to leave the UK. I see a lot of Scottish people here really keen for it, but we have a lot of Scottish colleagues and customers, and every one of them I've spoken to has said they would look at moving south of the border - one even comparing an indy Scotland to a third world nation.

Well that is just fucking ridiculous.

Harmen

Can't blame Unilever for not wanting to sell products for a significantly lower margin because the pound is tanking. It seems highly likely prices in the UK will rise quite a bit and companies as well as the consumers will need to accept that. And that won't be exclusive to Unilever products, offcourse. Furthermore, there is no saying how much lower the pound will go, but I am fairly sure this has not reached the bottom at all.

I'm a huge independence supporter but I feel like she's playing this card too early for us to win it.

Regardless, I'm yes anyway. Having a dinner with Nicola some time this month (not just me and her obviously), so I hope to hear more about it then.

Edit: Actually next month apparently.

Rixa

Either way England is fucked and the pound is done for. An economic recession will be the least of our problems if this eruption of shit blows off. Irony being if Scotland manages to stay in the EU or joins in the near future by a miracle good luck getting immigration under control, this whole shit sandwich would have been done for absolute nothing.

Nationalism and xenophobia don't you just love it.

I was surprised when I looked £ to € conversion few days ago (planning to get WoFF from Amazon.uk). Pound has dropped so much from May when I bought clothes from Sportsdirect.

As my country is a member of EU, I hope that Scotland will be EU member too.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

There's a lot of keen Scottish people why do you think the worst Indy ref was so close despite it essentially being a brexit like situation where they leave Europe are economically worse off but have taken back control. Brexit itself will likely be enough to push the moderate nationalists and causal unionists to jump ship

Izuna

Banned
I'm a huge independence supporter but I feel like she's playing this card too early for us to win it.

Regardless, I'm yes anyway. Having a dinner with Nicola some time this month (not just me and her obviously), so I hope to hear more about it then.

Edit: Actually next month apparently.

I was about to ask you about that, but you shinobi edited your post.

I kind of agree, but what are the alternatives at this point? May is dragging the country kicking and screaming through economic shit to pander to the xenophoic mass, what can 50 MPs do to stop that?

If Yes looks likely to win this time round I'll seriously consider moving. I see myself as European as well as British, I feel seriously disappointed in many people after the referendum. If anything, my interest in acquiring a dual citizenship is sky high right now (sadly not eligible for an Irish citizenship).

Audioboxer

I kind of agree, but what are the alternatives at this point? May is dragging the country kicking and screaming through economic shit to pander to the xenophoic mass, what can 50 MPs do to stop that?

What they are doing which is hustling. They said they'd vote against the Brexit Bill

Firstly, we will make our case in the House of Commons and in the Scottish Parliament.

I can confirm today that SNP MPs will vote against the Brexit Bill when it come before the House of Commons next year.

That Bill will repeal the legislation that enacted our EU membership. Scotland didn't vote for that and so neither will our MPs.

But we will also work to persuade others - Labour, Liberals and moderate Tories - to join us in a coalition against a hard Brexit: not just for Scotland, but for the whole UK.

We know that Brexit will damage our economy.

http://www.snp.org/nicola_sturgeon_opening_address_2016

Also again to backup what I said above

Worth underlining that #indyref2 legislation still *draft* bill; distinction between it going out for consultation and going before Holyrood

https://twitter.com/BBCPhilipSim/status/786515564600500224

It is early planning required to make sure it is potentially done right, and not done like Brexit which is hold a vote and then plan after said vote.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

I do wonder if they somehow manage to lose what would the point of the SNP even be anymore, they're been transparent as a window that all they want is Scottish independence. if they somehow manage to lose 2 independence referendums in a row I don't think even a generation would be enough to prevent them from essentially being a laughing stock and good luck trying again, when you likely won't get a better chance in at least a few decades.

What they are doing which is hustling. They said they'd vote against the Brexit Bill

http://www.snp.org/nicola_sturgeon_opening_address_2016

Also again to backup what I said above

https://twitter.com/BBCPhilipSim/status/786515564600500224

It is early planning required to make sure it is potentially done right, and not done like Brexit which is hold a vote and then plan after said vote.

Oh, yeah, sure. I more meant that obviously IndyRef2 is the end game. If doing their job doesn't work to temper, that has to be the next option, and it will be sooner rather than later that the decision has to be made.

Mr. Sam

That's fairly low actually, I mean enough to the scales of referendum but for such a major life altering decision, It doesn't seem all that high.

I think the significance of the decision is yet to sink in, and may not for years. Considering how people turn a blind eye to the consequences of voting for, ahem, certain political parties, it obviously won't ever sink in for many.

London doesn't want Scotland to leave because they don't want to be left alone with all the loony bins.

London should annex too then, wall itself off.

The rest of the UK would be fucked and it'd be great.

Without scotland and london the UK would be super duper lame as well, what's not to like.

London should annex too then, wall itself off.

The rest of the UK would be fucked and it'd be great.

Without scotland and london the UK would be super duper lame as well, what's not to like.

And don't forget Cardiff, Wales' capital voted majority remain too so we'd want in on that. The last question is do we use tunnels or sky-bridges to join them together? A nice rainbow road to connect Cardiff, London and Scotland. Tidy.

Audioboxer

It's attitudes like this that drove Brexit.

Partially maybe, but you vote Tory you get Tory. The people who were saying this was to get at London go out and vote in droves for Tory? Makes NO sense. They are and have been the epitome of rich, posh, hard right wing politics for quite a while. It's almost comical when you have the hard working class, of which many are poor and struggling, casting their votes for the Conservatives all because Milliband ate a bacon sandwich and the newpapers ran with it.

Seanbob11

Voted no last time, but the UK is going into dangerous territory with May at the helm and there doesn't seem to be any stopping her down south, so yes it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom