• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering Brexit is in itself typical political grandstanding. You have EU policy which states how long economic migrants can stay in a country without finding a job before they have to leave, with no EU single policy on how to cope with that. If that were to change to a single policy you would see a reduction in a lot of the far right politics that a gaining support. Even implementing a EU wide policy, TM goes back home and looks like a hero.

TM worked in the Home Office the element of EU see most likely despises the most is that of ECJ. My guess she will look to EU on how to implement EU zone wide policy, take over some of the agencies in terms of UK paying for them entirely like EMA(European Medicines Agency), remove the common fisheries policy and CAP, but refusal of ECJ and the right to become a full WTO with tariff free single market access.

This is the most likely want list. Make the EU think the UK wants it cake and eat it and behind close doors come with enough cake to share for 27 people.

Your claim is not true. The EU doesn't force the nations to provide the same kind of welfare for EU citizens if they never worked.

kmag

Considering Brexit is in itself typical political grandstanding. You have EU policy which states how long economic migrants can stay in a country without finding a job before they have to leave, with no EU single policy on how to cope with that. If that were to change to a single unified policy you would see a reduction in a lot of the far right politics that a gaining support. Even implementing a EU wide policy, TM goes back home and looks like a hero.

TM worked in the Home Office the element of EU see most likely despises the most is that of ECJ. My guess she will look to EU on how to implement EU zone wide policy of "economic migrants that haven't found work for 3 months", take over some of the agencies in terms of UK paying for them entirely like EMA(European Medicines Agency), remove the common fisheries policy and CAP, but refusal of ECJ and the right to become a full WTO with tariff free single market access.

This is the most likely want list. Make the EU think the UK wants it cake and eat it and behind close doors come with enough cake to share for 27 people.

They're not keeping the EMA. How could they under a potentially completely different regulatory system unless the UK was going "hand back control" to Brussels by just continually accepting their regulatory framework as is.

The UK isn't going to have any say in EU regulation going forward, that means no UK based EU regulatory bodies.

Linkified

Your claim is not true. The EU doesn't force the nations to provide the same kind of welfare for EU citizens if they never worked.

I stated that if a EU migrant from country x can't find work in country y - after 3 months they must leave country y.

Never stated about welfare

Linkified

They're not keeping the EMA. How could they under a potentially completely different regulatory system unless the UK was going "hand back control" to Brussels by just continually accepting their regulatory framework as is.

The UK isn't going to have any say in EU regulation going forward, that means no UK based EU regulatory bodies.

Accept EU regulations It doesn't make sense to have to regulate drugs differently it would also curb some of the health tourism. I'm sure our government could spin it as a positive. It is either that or pay money for nothing, at least the perception would be the UK was gaining something.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Can Boris Johnson being secretly pro-EU for valid reasons (think of Scotland!) sabotage negotiations and save the day?

CcUug-YXIAAJfJZ.jpg

Accept EU regulations It doesn't make sense to have to regulate drugs differently it would also curb some of the health tourism. I'm sure our government could spin it as a positive. It is either that or pay money for nothing, at least the perception would be the UK was gaining something.

Not happening. I work in a similar field and the UK regulators have been told they will have to develop a Uk system and will not be allowed a Norway/Swiss option where they participate in the EU regulatory process. We might mutually recognise EU approvals but they'll never recognise ours.

Chittagong

Gold Member
The fuck man??

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...rship-will-be-punished-vows-John-Redwood.html

Businesses that speak out for Britain's EU membership will be punished, vows John Redwood

Extremely sensationalist. What he is saying is that companies are bound to have customers of both camps, and taking a political view will always anger the disagreeing part of your customer base, and this fallout could risk their jobs. Kinda like that American anti-gay chicken wings executive. I don't think many enough people in Britain actually give a fuck about this particular topic for there to be fallout either way. Gay rights or women's equality would be a different thing, there speaking out against them could risk the executive's job.

Extremely sensationalist. What he is saying is that companies are bound to have customers of both camps, and taking a political view will always anger the disagreeing part of your customer base, and this fallout could risk their jobs. Kinda like that American anti-gay chicken wings executive. I don't think many enough people in Britain actually give a fuck about this particular topic for there to be fallout either way. Gay rights or women's equality would be a different thing, there speaking out against them could risk the executive's job.

It sounds very much like him warning he will use his position to give a louder voice to those who agree with him to quash and attack those who don't. The ramping up of rhetoric against dissenting views, especially with how authoritarian Theresa May has shown herself to be, is deeply troubling.

There has be to be atmosphere of authoritarianism at the heart of this government for them to feel it's acceptable to make these comments.

He added: "If they don't understand that now they will find those of us organising the 'get out' campaign will then make life difficult for them by making sure that their customers, their employees and their shareholders who disagree with them - and there will be a lot who disagree with them - will be expressing their views very forcefully and will be destablising their corporate governance.

"This is absolutely crucial that these people get this. That it will be deeply disruptive to their businesses, and maybe even to their own tenure of their jobs, if a chief executive with a handful of shares thinks he can put the voice of a multi-national corporation behind a highly intense political argument in one country in which they operate.

"It would be extremely foolish and we must make sure they have to pay a very dear economic and financial price were they to try that ill-judged thing."

Linkified

Not happening. I work in a similar field and the UK regulators have been told they will have to develop a Uk system and will not be allowed a Norway/Swiss option where they participate in the EU regulatory process. We might mutually recognise EU approvals but they'll never recognise ours.

Eh EMA is based in canary wharf in London, accept the medicine regulations that come from that agency but the UK pays for it - the UK would have to give contributions if they wanted to stay in the single market anyway. It could be spun using the government spin doctors that they the UK are not wasting money.

Also by accepting the same medicines across the EU and the UK you will by proxy stop some health tourism.

Xando

Companies moving to EU countries, academic workers moving back or going to other EU countries.

Which side was supposed to become stronger again?

To be honest as a german citizen brexit more and more sounds like a win for us (EU).

EU is finally making some progress, companies and capital are moving to the mainland and we don't have to deal with british exceptionalism anymore.

Maledict

Um, no he isn't. You are distorting the mans words to pretend it wasn't as bad as it is. He literally said

we must make sure they have to pay a very dear economic and financial price were they to try that ill-judged thing."

He wasn't talking about some nebulous force of customer dissatisfactio. He was directly threatening business who get involved in the discussion, and threatened them with direct action. The mans an anti-democratic nut who would happily weirdly the power of a despot to get what he wants. Always has been a piece of shit, and he doesn't need defending.

Joni

Eh EMA is based in canary wharf in London, accept the medicine regulations that come from that agency but the UK pays for it - the UK would have to give contributions if they wanted to stay in the single market anyway. It could be spun using the government spin doctors that they the UK are not wasting money.

Also by accepting the same medicines across the EU and the UK you will by proxy stop some health tourism.

The EMA is moving. There are more than enough candidates, and the United Kingdom doesn't get a vote.

PJV3

Um, no he isn't. You are distorting the mans words to pretend it wasn't as bad as it is. He literally said

He wasn't talking about some nebulous force of customer dissatisfactio. He was directly threatening business who get involved in the discussion, and threatened them with direct action. The mans an anti-democratic nut who would happily weirdly the power of a despot to get what he wants. Always has been a piece of shit, and he doesn't need defending.

Maybe he doesn't know Redwood and his history as a Bastard.

Joni

Can't say that at the moment until negotiations have finished. Plus it doesn't have to move

It doesn't have to move, but there are already many member states that weren't happy it was in the United Kingdom in the first place. The EMA already acknowledged that the European Union will decide where it will move.
Considering pharma companies and their billions will certainly follow, the UK would need to give major concessions to keep it, certainly as this is an EU agency.

RedShift

Boris Johnson being able to hold a high office after the truly deplorable and blatant shit he's pulled for his own political gain is basically proof that our political system just doesn't work.

Well, in the article its specified that he'd be wanting a combination of customers, shareholders, board members, etc that being presumably for Leave would hold companies to account... except that it would also be at the Leave camp's prompting.

Redwood said:
If they don't understand that now they will find those of us organising the 'get out' campaign will then make life difficult for them by making sure that their customers, their employees and their shareholders who disagree with them - and there will be a lot who disagree with them - will be expressing their views very forcefully and will be destablising their corporate governance.

Basically saying they would encourage factionalism within companies to threaten the businesses into falling in line.

CTLance

Hooooooooly shit, that Redwood piece. No offence, UKGAF, but I'm starting to feel rather relieved you guys are trying to get out of the EU. Those quotes are chilling. Bugs Bunny sawing off Florida levels of disgust.

And the EMA will never, ever stay in a post-Brexit Britain. It's one of the EU bodies that has been lusted after quite openly even before Brexit, and I'm sure Spain and others are sending every available lobbyist and hooker to anybody who'd be even remotely involved in moving that juicy morsel elsewhere.

Chittagong

Gold Member

As I don't know the man, I was reading the article from a non-hyperbolic perspective. I do agree that overall it's an idiotic and naive thing to suggest.

Like I said, I really don't think many enough Brits care about being in or out of EU enough not buy their Marmite to show their dissent. Most leavers will shrug, book their Easyjet flights and continue banking with Santander.

Meh, my constituency has never elected a non-conservative candidate. We'd elect a brick as long as it had a blue rosette

Probably helps that the Tories have rewarded the area for its 'loyalty' in terms of funding. I remember the MP for the other side of town congratulating him on getting a settlement from the government while we had to take on even more funding cuts than expected.

CTLance

Meh, my constituency has never elected a non-conservative candidate. We'd elect a brick as long as it had a blue rosette
5yaezBc.jpg

Actually, not trying to start a fight or anything, but I believe that it might be an improvement to British politics as a whole if the populace was allowed to vote for common household items. ...at least for half a decade or so, until the nutters are gone.

Also, imagine Brexit doesn't happen somehow and EU parliament gets to sit with MEP live rooster or MEP bowl of cereals (half eaten).

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/oct/16/harder-brexit-worse-for-ireland-sterling-fall

An interesting article that discusses what I mentioned before - the UK's Brexit ally in negotiations will be Ireland.

Government forecasters and private sector economists have crunched the numbers. The official GDP growth forecast for next year has been cut by half a point to 3.5%, though the sums were done before sterling’s latest fall. The rough guide is that every 1% cut in UK growth hits Ireland by 0.3-0.4%.

Standard economic models suggest a loss to Irish GDP of between one and three percentage points after a decade, depending on the new trading arrangements, according to Alan Ahearne, economics professor at NUI Galway.

However, he warned that disruptions to trade, particularly from new regulations and any reinstatement of the border on the island of Ireland, were the kind of factors often underestimated by standard forecasts.

Basically: the UK accounts for about a third of the Irish import and export market - that's about the same as the entire rest of the EU put together. The UK exiting the EU will do enormous economic damage to Ireland by removing Ireland from a single market with its closest trading partner.

For any RoIers reading this: my sincere apologies.

BigAl1992

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/oct/16/harder-brexit-worse-for-ireland-sterling-fall

An interesting article that discusses what I mentioned before - the UK's Brexit ally in negotiations will be Ireland.

Basically: the UK accounts for about a third of the Irish import and export market - that's about the same as the entire rest of the EU put together. The UK exiting the EU will do enormous economic damage to Ireland by removing Ireland from a single market with its closest trading partner.

For any RoIers reading this: my sincere apologies.

It's not that surprising to me. This was already being discussed over here since the results came out, although to be frank, it's actually not that bad when compared to what happened in 2008, when during the financial crisis we were allegedly several hours away from a complete financial collapse of the economic system. That's how badly the economy was going.

In regards to this, disruption to trade is expected but I've heard of rumblings from companies who're diversifying their customers so that they're not so exposed to the fallout from from this. My father's company for example, they have a factory already in the UK, so they can produce their products for the UK market, while using the factory here in Ireland for their domestic and EU based customers. Not only that, but there's been word of a much greater push to access more markets based both within the EU and out of it, so while I fully expect a recession to occur here in Ireland, I'm somewhat sceptical of how much the damage will be.

Edit: I should also point out that diversification of the customer base Ireland has has been going on for a while now, but with Brexit going ahead, it'll amplify it further once the actual negotiations start.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...binet-row-over-accusations-he-is-trying-to-u/

Philip Hammond is facing accusations of attempting to “undermine Brexit” by pushing for delays to Cabinet measures designed to control immigration.

The Chancellor has been criticised by Cabinet colleagues for “arguing like an accountant seeing the risk of everything” rather than pressing ahead with plans for Brexit.

However, members of the Cabinet are said to be growing increasingly frustrated by Mr Hammond’s position on Brexit. One Cabinet source said he is “overly influenced by his Treasury officials who think it is a catastrophe that Britain voted to leave the EU”.

There were claims on Sunday that tensions have increased to the point that there are even fears Mr Hammond could resign as Chancellor.

Xando

Audioboxer

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ld-be-treason-urges-tory-councillors-petition

*eyes roll into outer space'

'Calls for UK to rejoin EU 'should be treason', urges Tory petition'

The Treason Felony Act be amended to include the following offences:

‘To imagine, devise, promote, work, or encourage others, to support UK becoming a member of the European Union;

To conspire with foreign powers to make the UK, or part of the UK, become a member of the EU.’

It is becoming clear that many politicians and others are unwilling to accept the democratic decision of the British people to leave the EU. Brexit must not be put at risk in the years and decades ahead. For this reason we the undersigned request that the Treason Felony Act be amended as set out in this petition.

The petition is among several on the site from leave campaigners. A call for “All European Union flags, emblems and logos to be removed from all public buildings” attracted nearly 20,000 signatures, as has an appeal “Not to allow freedom of movement as part of any deal with the EU after Brexit.”

Mfw+the+chinese+century+of+humiliation+_ae67f646fb91a823b59a1301ad451cf1.gif

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Just a reminder that the majority of the UK population probably is against Brexit at this point.

sigh

dumbo

It's a somewhat amusing article...
Another source suggested that while the Treasury is quick to criticise solutions proposed by members of the Cabinet, it has been “less forthcoming” in tabling its own policies.

The treasury is supposed to explain 'what brexit costs', whilst the brexiteers are supposed to explain 'how brexit works'. That was the entire point for creating a minister for Brexit - that department produces a plan, and the treasury provides cost estimates (for jobs/wealth).

It's not Hammond's fault that the Brexit plan is utter nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom