• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xando

In other news:

Germany Said to Shut Door on Brexit Back Channels in Blow to May

German Chancellor Angela Merkel’s government is battening down the hatches for the coming Brexit talks, instructing officials to avoid any back-door contacts that could hand the U.K. an advantage.
Merkel’s chancellery is receiving U.K. diplomats but politely refusing to grant the U.K. any favors in advance of the official negotiations, according to two people familiar with the matter. Officials at some ministries have been instructed to shun official contacts with U.K. counterparts that could reveal negotiating positions, another person said.

Since Brexit I've had four different organisations check where my son and I were born, all giving different bullshit reasons. My son's school just need to know for their records, my bank just needs to know so they can 'streamline their app'.

Feeling really fucking uncomfortable being a little bit brown in the UK these days.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
As one of those weirdos who actually like Football Manager, this cracked me up real good
CvHMb5QW8AAs7jC.png:large

nickcv

Apparently, yes. IIRC, during the 2012 games they commissioned a big survey to find out what key indexes the UK performs on well as a tourist destination. One was the availability of high class food. I think we actually beat Paris, IIRC.

I was born and raised in Italy, I moved to london 3 years ago.
Whoever agrees with that needs to have their palate checked.

In the best case scenario the food does't get anywhere above the "nice" tier, and if you think they won't charge you a fortune for it you are deluded

Don't get me wrong: you make great burgers, sausage and mesh can be nice and fish & chips is good, but that's pretty much it.
The food variety in menus is abysmal: pretty much every place serves the same food, sometimes adding some more fancy ingredients to pretend it's something better.

On the other hand london has a lot of foreign restaurants, but the food is either crap or way overpriced (or is not foreign at all)

edit:

And don't get me started on deserts: it's pretty much sugar on top of sugar. I'm amused half of the country doesn't have diabetes.

and btw this is what hot chocolate is supposed to look like:

Be1P9EY.jpg

Maledict

I was born and raised in Italy, I moved to london 3 years ago.
Whoever agrees with that needs to have their palate checked.

In the best case scenario the food does't get anywhere above the "nice" tier, and if you think they won't charge you a fortune for it you are deluded

Don't get me wrong: you make great burgers, sausage and mesh can be nice and fish & chips is good, but that's pretty much it.
The food variety in menus is abysmal: pretty much every place serves the same food, sometimes adding some more fancy ingredients to pretend it's something better.

On the other hand london has a lot of foreign restaurants, but the food is either crap or way overpriced (or is not foreign at all)

Um, high class food. London has a number of *really* good high end food restaurants. Alain Ducasse at the Dorchester, Marcus Waring at the Berkley etc. in terms of cities with numerous Michelin stars London actually does very well indeed, and it has a lot of different options as well at that tier. In terms of high class food, London is absolutely one of the best cities in the world to eat.

(Alain Ducasse even wrote a book recently about British food, including my favorite burger place in the world in Brixton).

in reality, do any of you Brits ever have baked beans for breakfast?
it's good, though a bit heavy on calories for a supposedly light meal

Beans with a full english, and sometimes just beans on toast.
But since it's so heavy, I only really do it if I have a day of physical work ahead. Or if I'm really hungover.
Which means less than once a month.

Finding a good full english can be difficult though, since the sausages are generally trash tier (or possibly bollocks, arsehole and horse-cock tier).

I should fight for the purity of British bubble and squeek instead of the decadent American hash browns. Unfortunately for patriotism, it's an objective fact that hash browns are awesome.

nickcv

Um, high class food. London has a number of *really* good high end food restaurants. Alain Ducasse at the Dorchester, Marcus Waring at the Berkley etc. in terms of cities with numerous Michelin stars London actually does very well indeed, and it has a lot of different options as well at that tier. In terms of high class food, London is absolutely one of the best cities in the world to eat.

(Alain Ducasse even wrote a book recently about British food, including my favorite burger place in the world in Brixton).

Didn't have a chance to try a two or three star restaurants but the prices for those are insane.

When it comes to regular restaurants it's horrendous. Back home I used to go out for dinner three times a week... Here I don't even bother once a week.

Maledict

Didn't have a chance to try a two or three star restaurants but the prices for those are insane.

When it comes to regular restaurants it's horrendous. Back home I used to go out for dinner three times a week... Here I don't even bother once a week.

Yep, that's high class food for you. Fun though!

In terms of reasonable good food, there are tons of good places but you have to know where they are. Same as any city - locals know all the good places, visitors end up in shit holes serving sliced whippet.

I just went to a Pret in central London that had staff in training with a little UK flag on their badge instead of a European country.
Brexit. It's happening folks.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"

I've lived in London most my life, and I find that excellent food is widely available, even outside the high end, you just need to do some research first. However, the general quality, especially at the low end, is far worse than other countries I've visited, where you can walk into most places and get a good meal without worrying - especially when it comes to local cuisine.

Where London excels is in being able to find food from all over the world at a high standard, again, if you know where to go. By this point, having accumulated a vast list of places, I'm absolutely spoiled for choice, but it's easy to see how a tourist could fall foul of the food here and come away with a very bad impression.

I also think the renaissance for local produce and French inspired terroir cuisine has done great things for homegrown food as well. I've got one such restaurant just down the road from me which is one of the best I've been to anywhere in the world, and it's not ludicrously expensive either.

Basically, thank god for online reviews. Oh, and immigrants.

nickcv

Yep, that's high class food for you. Fun though!

In terms of reasonable good food, there are tons of good places but you have to know where they are. Same as any city - locals know all the good places, visitors end up in shit holes serving sliced whippet.

This is the last meal I had this september when I went back home for some medical exams
(btw private clinic in italy: 43 €, private clinic in UK: 1850 £)

view from my restaurant:

view from my table:

my dinner:

proper formal tableware with 3 forks, 3 knives, 2 spoons, 3 glasses (flute, water, wine).

on top of that:
1 glass of prosecco for the beginning of the meal
4 glasses of wine (we order bottles actually, a glass is not really an option)
coffee
liquor for the end of the meal
endless bread

grand total: 41 € per person.

^^^ :-O where is this? I'm going to Italy in January - very excited!

I just went to a Pret in central London that had staff in training with a little UK flag on their badge instead of a European country.
Brexit. It's happening folks.

Rubbish, I was told that British people don't want to do those jobs.

nickcv

I've lived in London most my life, and I find that excellent food is widely available, even outside the high end, you just need to do some research first. However, the general quality, especially at the low end, is far worse than other countries I've visited, where you can walk into most places and get a good meal without worrying - especially when it comes to local cuisine.

Where London excels is in being able to find food from all over the world at a high standard, again, if you know where to go. By this point, having accumulated a vast list of places, I'm absolutely spoiled for choice, but it's easy to see how a tourist could fall foul of the food here and come away with a very bad impression.

I also think the renaissance for local produce and French inspired terroir cuisine has done great things for homegrown food as well. I've got one such restaurant just down the road from me which is one of the best I've been to anywhere in the world, and it's not ludicrously expensive either.

Basically, thank god for online reviews. Oh, and immigrants.

I'll gladly accept recommendations for restaurants.
I live in Zone 4 (Richmond) in case you knew some place specifically in my area.
I work around Clerkenwell / Angel in case you can recommend restaurants around there

QuicheFontaine said:
^^^ :-O where is this? I'm going to Italy in January - very excited!

It's a restaurant in my home city Cagliari, Sardegna.
The name of the restaurant is "Il Colle" and is located on top of a hill overseeing big part of the city.

It's the big ass island in the middle of the Mediterranean sea.

Google "spiagge sardegna" if you wanna get an idea of what it looks like :p you'd definitely love it for a summer holiday.

Hazzuh

Are the conservatives just continually eating into Ukip's voter base now that they're redundant and failing apart at the seams.

Worth noting that Ipsos Mori always have UKIP much lower than other pollsters for whatever reason. They had them at 6% in August as well.

Worth noting that Ipsos Mori always have UKIP much lower than other pollsters for whatever reason. They had them at 6% in August as well.

Small parties are generally pretty tight demographically so even small (unintentional) biases can misrepresent them largely. Pollsters generally try to correct with weighting but this can make the problem even worse of the respondents you do get are demographically atypical.

Morat

Banned
Ugh, fuck this. I can't believe we're not railing against what's going on. I guess because the media is happy with the way this shit is panning out so is the vast part of the general populace.

The same media that cheered for this shitheap in the first place - haven't you seen the Mail calling people objecting traitors to the nation?

Maledict

Kate Hoey is awful, good choice. Completely bizarre that Hoey would be backed by Corbyn. She's borderline UKIP.

Yep - she's not Labour at all, she's a DUP MP transplanted to London. Head of the countryside alliance whilst MP for liberal inner city London? Check. Worse voting record on gay rights of any Labour MP whilst MP for the capitals biggest % of gay people? Check. At war with her own, Labour local council? Check.

Mind you, also doesn't surprise me Corbyn slot backing her - further shows his lack of enthusiasm for the EU.

Beefy

@LordStras
Labour peers about to vote AGAIN for your internet history to be recorded & held for 12 months. Disgraceful.

Paul Strasburger ‏@LordStras
@TheTartanCon I sadly expected them to abstain but this was far worse. They actually joined the Tories to steal our privacy

@LordStras
Long battle in Lords on #IPBill about govt plans to make firms like Apple break their own encryption. They retired bruised & MIGHT concede

Save us Apple!!

Xun

@LordStras
Labour peers about to vote AGAIN for your internet history to be recorded & held for 12 months. Disgraceful.

Paul Strasburger ‏@LordStras
@TheTartanCon I sadly expected them to abstain but this was far worse. They actually joined the Tories to steal our privacy

@LordStras
Long battle in Lords on #IPBill about govt plans to make firms like Apple break their own encryption. They retired bruised & MIGHT concede

Save us Apple!!
Depressing but not at all surprising.

Kabouter

New poll in the Netherlands showing consistent growth in pro-EU sentiments/decline in anti-EU sentiments here. 33% backed leaving right after the British referendum, 28% in mid September, 25% in mid October.

While I wish no ill on the British people, hopefully Britain leaving will continue to help people realise that leaving the EU is not in their best interest.

Dougald

Considering Labours track record on civil liberties in government, I'm not surprised in the least they would vote for these measures

New poll in the Netherlands showing consistent growth in pro-EU sentiments/decline in anti-EU sentiments here. 33% backed leaving right after the British referendum, 28% in mid September, 25% in mid October.

While I wish no ill on the British people, hopefully Britain leaving will continue to help people realise that leaving the EU is not in their best interest.

As someone who would like to see a federal EU, my only consolation is my country destroying itself might kick the other nations into sorting it out

I miss the days when a Brexit was supposed to destabilise the EU.

Frodo

I miss the days when a Brexit was supposed to destabilise the EU.

I mean, I was in Germany when Brexit happened, and to the people I talked to, I mostly gathered that they wanted UK to leave so the EU could progress without it whining about everything and only catering to their own interest and making decisions more difficult. If anything, it was always supposed to make the EU stronger. And we had plenty of news from ages ago implying the French would never let the UK leave in favourable terms so it doesn't send a message you can leave whenever you want like it is okay.

Alx

As someone who would like to see a federal EU, my only consolation is my country destroying itself might kick the other nations into sorting it out

Maybe in the future you'll have a "Breturn" referendum to join the federation. :p

Like anyone would want us back

Short of major changes to British politics / media or EU politics / media, and assuming anyone would ask me to vote for it, I'd vote against the UK rejoining a "core" political EU. The trade side of it, sure, but like a Switzerland, a partner, not a member.

But then, I'm a federalist, and somewhat think the old Yes Prime Minister show was more of a documentary than it should've been, in regards to the British / Continental question...

nubbe

Best thing to happen the EU it seems.
Now everyone understands how important the single market is.
The federation work can begin.

Harmen

Due to the refugee crisis I am worried the PVV (party of racist politician Wilders for non-Dutch people) will gain a lot of votes, but at least Brexit will likely cost him a lot of votes due to his (exit the) EU stances. And literally none of the other parties will work with him on a hypothetical Nexit, thankfully. And since the actual Brexit will occur around the same timeframe as voting in the Netherlands (I think our elections are just prior to the initiation of Bexit), people will be reminded plenty.

Best thing to happen the EU it seems.
Now everyone understands how important the single market is.
The federation work can begin.
Why do you think a federated EU is a great idea, make no mistake I was pro remain in Britain but I am not sure about complete and total political union in Europe.

Harmonising markets, trade and business laws yes. Freedom of movement yes, but really sceptical about complete political and military union.

Heartfyre

Why do you think a federated EU is a great idea, make no mistake I was pro remain in Britain but I am not sure about complete and total political union in Europe.

Harmonising markets, trade and business laws yes. Freedom of movement yes, but really sceptical about complete political and military union.

Harmonising political power would be a way to ensure a more efficient use of the continent's resources. While the current freedoms are a boon to every country, it's a half-measure since each country works solely in its own interests and tries to achieve its own self-sufficiency. European countries need not be in competition with each other. Of course, the EU institution has a load of flaws that need to be addressed before such a vision could be made reality, but a number of those problems arise from the lack of a centralised political and fiscal policy. The euro itself is not a bad idea -- it's just a bad idea to have a single currency shared by nineteen autonomous countries with limited financial oversight and intervention.

Besides, some of us have lived in a number of EU countries and feel more European than merely being of a single nationality. A federated EU is closer to my personal worldview.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom