• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides, some of us have lived in a number of EU countries and feel more European than merely being of a single nationality. A federated EU is closer to my personal worldview.

Some, but not that many tbh. Only 15% of Brits describe themselves as "European", and the UK is the EU country in which people are most likely to describe themselves as "nationality only" (source).

Heartfyre

Some, but not that many tbh. Only 15% of Brits describe themselves as "European", and the UK is the EU country in which people are most likely to describe themselves as "nationality only" (source).

Definitely not saying that there's anything close to a majority, especially in the UK. Being an island nation helps form the perception that travelling to the continent is "going there" rather than merely being an extension of your own landmass.

But for those of us that feel European...

JqYTmjn.gif

Definitely not saying that there's anything close to a majority, especially in the UK. Being an island nation helps form the perception that travelling to the continent is "going there" rather than merely being an extension of your own landmass.

But for those of us that feel European...

JqYTmjn.gif

Haha, you and FlixFantatier should form a club :p

NekoFever

Maybe in the future you'll have a "Breturn" referendum to join the federation. :p

Maybe in a generation. But even then it's highly unlikely we'd get back in with our current special status (no euro, rebate, etc). We'd have thrown it all away because baby boomers are having a midlife crisis and want it to be 1955 again.

I feel European. I suspect a lot of young people have some kind of affinity to Europe and their EU citizenship being stripped from them by people who want to go back to the 1950s will cause some resentment there. And I can't wait a generation to rejoin the EU. Hopefully I can move to Germany or Sweden in the next few years and get citizenship there. If I manage it I'm never coming back.

Dougald

Currently trying to work out the logic of the man in the hospital bed next to my father, telling my mum in one breath how we'd have never been able to do any significant work to the local road system without EU grants in one breath, then saying he's glad he voted out in the next

Alx

Currently trying to work out the logic of the man in the hospital bed next to my father, telling my mum in one breath how we'd have never been able to do any significant work to the local road system without EU grants in one breath, then saying he's glad he voted out in the next

WeDontNeedRoads.gif

Beefy

@OwenJones84
Tories beginning to call for an early election before the bad Brexit deal they expect Britain will get. That tells us everything.

Audioboxer

@OwenJones84
Tories beginning to call for an early election before the bad Brexit deal they expect Britain will get. That tells us everything.

Tories: Hai guyz vote us back in, in a majority, so when we fuck up we don't need to be held accountable.

British public: Nae bother. Sign us up now.

PJV3

@OwenJones84

The good time window will be very short when we finally start the Brexit nonsense in March. Prices rising might start chipping away at support for being cavalier and wreckless with the economy.

The good time window will be very short when we finally start the Brexit nonsense in March. Prices rising might start chipping away at support for being cavalier and wreckless with the economy.

If there's one thing I am certain of, the Tories will still win. It's painful, but I think it's true. Quite apart from the weakness of the opposition, they're always, somehow, on the right side of history:

Vote Tories for economic stability! WIN. Vote Tories for idealism over economic stability. WIN!

PJV3

If there's one thing I am certain of, the Tories will still win. It's painful, but I think it's true. Quite apart from the weakness of the opposition, they're always, somehow, on the right side of history:

Vote Tories for economic stability! WIN. Vote Tories for idealism over economic stability. WIN!

I'm not exp much from Labour but I think the Libdems could bounce back enough in marginals to leave a weak Tory government.

That's only if things start going wrong, and she actually starts making decisions not just general statements about the future.

NekoFever

I'm not exp much from Labour but I think the Libdems could bounce back enough in marginals to leave a weak Tory government.

That's only if things start going wrong, and she actually starts making decisions not just general statements about the future.

I think the Lib Dems would pick up a few seats but it wouldn't be enough to cancel out the Tory gains/holds against Labour under Corbyn.

Zaph

Yeah, I just hope the economic effects hit the high street fast enough while negotiations are happening, which should ground the Tories a little bit.

It's already begun with the likes of Tesco/Unilever, but they very quickly managed to come to an arrangement which unfortunately took the looming issue out of the public eye.

PJV3

Im sure the EU will be expecting our full payments every year until we do leave though.

We can annoy European leaders for a couple of years, they can seriously fuck us up for longer.

She's not a great diplomat, but she should be better than that, the Boris appointment makes me wonder though.

Im sure the EU will be expecting our full payments every year until we do leave though.

Sure, just like the UK expects to be in the single market and retain it's financial passport until it leaves. No one will give a shit about the UKs position in any negotiations that are expected to be completed after Brexit, though. Which is pretty obvious.

Xando

I mean we could cut all bonds including single market or financial passport over the weekend if the UK doesn't want to pay anymore.

Would be an interesting market reaction on monday

I mean we could cut all bonds including single market or financial passport over the weekend if the UK doesn't want to pay anymore.

Would be an interesting market reaction on monday
It's perfectly acceptable to cut all bonds if we refuse to pay. Its also perfectly acceptable that while we continue to pay we have just as much say in decision making as every other member,regardless of our future relationship.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
It isn't the EU If I'm reading it right, it's a personal request from a French member of the negotiation team. English stops being used officially when we actually leave.
Is this actually official? Because I can see that being a big problem. I kind of can't believe it.

It's perfectly acceptable to cut all bonds if we refuse to pay. Its also perfectly acceptable that while we continue to pay we have just as much say in decision making as every other member,regardless of our future relationship.
No it is perfectly reasonable to expect to be sidelinded when you tell the rest of the team you're on your way out.

It isn't the EU If I'm reading it right, it's a personal request from a French member of the negotiation team. English stops being used officially when we actually leave.

Nonsense.

Also
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ard-eu-meeting-sees-little-progress-on-brexit
May having the best Brexit talks with Estonia and Romania the two secret powerhouses of the EU, the rest will quickly follow their lead. ;P

PJV3

No it is perfectly reasonable to expect to be sidelinded when you tell the rest of the team you're on your way out.

Nonsense.

I'm mistaken then, I understood that no country had English as an official language besides us registered at the EU, The Irish 'use' Gaelic etc.

oti

Banned
Sounds a story from a source with an uncle that works for the commission and is an expert on French culture.
Pretty sure no-one in Europe wants French to be the actual lingua franca, except France.

I agree, but it's also pretty funny. That said, no one wants French to be the go-to language.

It's time. Deutsch will be our language gut ja ja gut gut Sportanzugshersteller.

Jackpot

Banned
That seems unnecessarily petty from the EU tbh.

France has had a bee in its bonnet over the decline in overseas French use for a while. I remember when Chirac walked out of an EU conference after they decided the official language for economics wouldn't be French any more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom