• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
the way things are going Cornwall will be independent by 2019 and by 2020 the Great Tea Riots will begin

The more you know! I must try a cup

Don't go in expecting strong normal tea, use filtered water (especially if you're in a hardwater area) and no milk. I drink a fuck ton of different blends of tea and the weird herbal mixes, so I'm used to s wide range of teas, and thus a big fan, but most of the people I know that just drink PG tips and the like aren't keen on it.

Like I say, artsy fartsy, but if you're into your tea, it's a good, delicate blend.

From living in Korea and going to Japan a half dozen times, I thought they meant all the tableware associated with "British afternoon Tea" which are really popular in Korea and Japan.

Unfortunately, places like Stoke on Trent are a fuckin' mess because no government has supported the potteries for years and I think half the brands associated with British porcelain/crockery have been sold to China.

From living in Korea and going to Japan a half dozen times, I thought they meant all the tableware associated with "British afternoon Tea" which are really popular in Korea and Japan.

Unfortunately, places like Stoke on Trent are a fuckin' mess because no government has supported the potteries for years and I think half the brands associated with British porcelain/crockery have been sold to China.

Post industrial decline is mismanaged. Population feels aggrieved. Votes against system. System says 'lol ok we sell your pottery nps but we'll also hole the economy for you'. Potteries closed or owned by foreigners. Post industrial decline mismanaged. Population feels aggrieved.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I know they are trying to be inclusive but it's more like Scottish Salmon, Scottish Whisky, Scottish Beef.

And Scottish Tuition

3gZArpB.png

Edit: I know that did not make sense, but this image is too good.

I kid because I care.

...the funny thing is, the places I'd suspect this would most appeal are Russia, and China.

Specifically to their middle and upper classes, who've already shown some interest in British culture. Rich Russians have built small villages in the style of British ones, while China are trying to recreate Shakespeare's home turf. For whatever reason there's an interest, and one could build on it.

Otherwise this sounds mostly like it would work in the sense of a premium range of product targeted towards Anglophiles in general, rather than really exporting in large quantities and expecting it to become a staple abroad, ala Coca Cola.

Violet_0

Banned
in reallity, do any of you Brits ever have baked beans for breakfast?
it's good, though a bit heavy on calories for a supposedly light meal

Only if having a 'full English' (which, upon reflection, is a pretty dire meal usually, although give me enough hash browns and I'll shut up), and even then some don't.

jelly

...the funny thing is, the places I'd suspect this would most appeal are Russia, and China.

Specifically to their middle and upper classes, who've already shown some interest in British culture. Rich Russians have built small villages in the style of British ones, while China are trying to recreate Shakespeare's home turf. For whatever reason there's an interest, and one could build on it.

Otherwise this sounds mostly like it would work in the sense of a premium range of product targeted towards Anglophiles in general, rather than really exporting in large quantities and expecting it to become a staple abroad, ala Coca Cola.

But it brings you back to why can't we have our cake and eat it too by doing this already and staying in the EU for double success. I'm no expert.

SKINNER!

Banned

No. Not ever. If I ever want to have beans for breakfast I'll get a can of chick/kidney/pinto/whatever beans, use my own tomato based sauce and spices and make my own instead of resorting to that Heinz sugar-based flavourless ass baked beans garbage.

Meadows

Banned

No, only with a full English, which is something I'd guess most people have here a max of once a month (maybe a little more, but no more than weekly for 99% of people).

That's a deportin'

You say that, but then nothing about this woofter metro elite traitor follow up?!!!

No. Not ever. If I ever want to have beans for breakfast I'll get a can of chick/kidney/pinto/whatever beans, use my own tomato based sauce and spices and make my own instead of resorting to that Heinz sugar-based flavourless ass baked beans garbage.

This country is so divided...

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe I've misread/misunderstood your post but really?! The first thing that comes to mind about the UK is fine dining? really?! Fine Dining...really?! Really?

wow

Apparently, yes. IIRC, during the 2012 games they commissioned a big survey to find out what key indexes the UK performs on well as a tourist destination. One was the availability of high class food. I think we actually beat Paris, IIRC.

jelly

The only time I have something close to a full English breakfast is on holiday and I usually leave the beans as they are always horrible for some reason, maybe just a morning tastebud thing. Bacon, hash browns, yes please but bored of it the second day and just want porridge, toast and fruit.

Apparently, yes. IIRC, during the 2012 games they commissioned a big survey to find out what key indexes the UK performs on well as a tourist destination. One was the availability of high class food. I think we actually beat Paris, IIRC.

Whilst I have little taste, and muchos snobbery, for gastro pub homogenised menus (fucking pulled pork burgers are EVERYWHERE) and you can still find plenty of dire restaurants around, I think I eat pretty well when I go out, usually (major university city tho). It's one stereotype that really only applies in patches, and thus not at all. Within a mile or two of us is a superlative + cheap Italian pizzaria, two very, very good pub-restaurants that aren't 'brioche bun pulled pork with triple cooked chips' x 1000 (pet peeve of mine) and two/three other perfectly competent, pleasant and tasty restaurants of various kinds.

I'd also say my generation's cooking, when we cook, is so much better than 50% of the stuff of my parent's generation. My ma can cook wonderful, wonderful things, but also falls back, sometimes, onto weird-ass bland 50s nonsense that is apparently 'curry' (?!!?!), and the sooner white sauce with nothing else in it other than green peppers and chicken and nonsense like that dies the better.

SKINNER!

Banned

I'm skeptical but ok sure. Everyday is a school day I suppose. Suppose all those fine cuisine restaurants in London will justify that. It's just...when I think good food I do think Paris..Tokyo...Rome...even the Mediterranean countries strive themselves over good food. But UK? I wouldn't have thought so. Interesting.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'm skeptical but ok sure. Everyday is a school day I suppose. Suppose all those fine cuisine restaurants in London will justify that. It's just...when I think good food I do think Paris..Tokyo...Rome...even the Mediterranean countries strive themselves over good food. But UK? I wouldn't have thought so. Interesting.

I think the problem is that the UK does loads of different types of food really well, but there aren't really any distinctively British dishes per se - like, you have fish and chips, tikki masala, rosbif, haggis, rarebit, etc - but none of them are high end. So you think of the UK for food, but you don't think of UK food.

I think the problem is that the UK does loads of different types of food really well, but there aren't really any distinctively British dishes per se - like, you have fish and chips, tikki masala, rosbif, haggis, rarebit, etc - but none of them are high end. So you think of the UK for food, but you don't think of UK food.

You can have really very good lerosbiffff though, and even things like haggis et al vary wildly. Where UK does food really well is synthesising some influence (usually Continental or sub-Continent) with British tastes - not so much chicken tikka, more taking something like haggis and injecting some Middle East into it. I dunno - I just find I eat good and I like it. A proper stew is a thing of beauty too.

jelly

You can have really very good lerosbiffff though, and even things like haggis et al vary wildly. Where UK does food really well is synthesising some influence with British tastes - not so much chicken tikka, more taking something like haggis and injecting some Middle East into it. I dunno - I just find I eat good and I like it. A proper stew is a thing of beauty too.

Haggis in Indian Restaurants is god tier.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
You can have really very good lerosbiffff though, and even things like haggis et al vary wildly. Where UK does food really well is synthesising some influence (usually Continental or sub-Continent) with British tastes - not so much chicken tikka, more taking something like haggis and injecting some Middle East into it. I dunno - I just find I eat good and I like it. A proper stew is a thing of beauty too.

I mean, where else can you get a curry-topped pizza?

Bleepey

The best thing about dining in London is that it's easy to avoid food indigenous to these shores. That said what counts as truly indigenous to the UK? Potatoes? Not really.

SKINNER!

Banned
Brits tend to have a bizarre picky and "safe" appetite that I find a bit strange. Especially for the most simplest foods. "Oh, I don't like any greens in my pizza. Just cheese" "What's a rocket? chives you say?" "Oh, what's in that? Cheese curbs? I don't like that! Where's the bland cheddar at? " "Ugh, yuck! It's got mushrooms! ugh, what is that?!!? I'm not eating that!"

haha wow.

Brits tend to have a bizarre and "safe" appetite. "Oh, I don't like any greens in my pizza. Just cheese" "What's a rocket? chives you say?" "Oh, what's in that? Cheese curbs? I don't like that! Where's the bland cheddar at? " "Ugh, yuck! It's got mushrooms! ugh, what is that?!!? I'm not eating that!"

haha wow.

Some people are rubbish at eating varied foods. Other people are not. I'm not sure that's particularly bad with Brits. Not in my social circles, other than some allergies/pseudo-allergies...

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
As long as we can all agree hash browns are GOAT tier, perhaps there's room to heal this union after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom