• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madchad

Damn Canada just walked out of that trade deal after 7 years because of 1 region in Belgium. Some people are going to be very salty.

Joni

Damn Canada just walked out of that trade deal after 7 years because of 1 region in Belgium. Some people are going to be very salty.

Time to split another country! Just kick Wallonia out of the EU. They have no ethical problems selling weapons to the Saudi.

jelly

Gives more fuel for the brexiters to say that it will be easier to sign these deals if you left though.

Yeah, a one sided get your lube ready deal that UK bend over and accept. EU has a much bigger stick to wave around to get deals that are in their favour. UK is in for a surprise when they leave. UK was licking China's ballsack when they came over. At least the EU wanted to stand up for European steel but UK is like, no my master China says no.

NekoFever

Yeah, a one sided get your lube ready deal that UK bend over and accept. EU has a much bigger stick to wave around to get deals that are in their favour. UK is in for a surprise when they leave. UK was licking China's ballsack when they came over. At least the EU wanted to stand up for European steel but UK is like, no my master China says no.

It'll be fun to see how badly we get rogered when we're negotiating with bigger economies and bigger markets than ours, such as the US, China and... uh... the EU.

I find it incredibly unlikely that the Scandinavian countries would accept moving away from English - Hell, I don't even think the Germans would want to move away from it. The French seem to enjoy pushing their language, but the fact is English is the established language of trade and that's not going to change any time soon.

Joni

I find it incredibly unlikely that the Scandinavian countries would accept moving away from English - Hell, I don't even think the Germans would want to move away from it. The French seem to enjoy pushing their language, but the fact is English is the established language of trade and that's not going to change any time soon.

There are a lot of translators in the Parliament. Nobody really needs to talk in another language.
English, French and German are considered the working languages for work documents. So something like the Brexit would be drafted in those three languages.

Chinner

Banned
Explain to me like I am 5 how and why they think this?
Leasing Brown people/immigrants taking our jobs, clogging our NHS, filling the roads, stealing our money.

Our country will prosper once we can start referring to winter holiday as Christmas again.

Dougald

Explain to me like I am 5 how and why they think this?

I imagine the rationale would be that the EU is made up of 28 individual states each with their own concerns regarding a trade deal, and that just one can throw a spanner in the works of any potential trade deal

Now, using that as a reason why we'll have "better" deals on our own is... probably not quite accurate.

There are a lot of translators in the Parliament. Nobody really needs to talk in another language.
English, French and German are considered the working languages for work documents. So something like the Brexit would be drafted in those three languages.

I cannot envision a future where English is not the go to language for all the Eurocrats. Documents might still have to be drafted and translated officially but on a day to day basis I think everyone has resigned to using English. Which is fair enough and wont suddenly change after Brexit.

Speaking of which what is going to happen to all those British civil servants in EU institutions? Doesn't look like they will be welcome in the UK civil service. I worry that they will all run to private lobbying firms in Europe...

I imagine the rationale would be that the EU is made up of 28 individual states each with their own concerns regarding a trade deal, and that just one can throw a spanner in the works of any potential trade deal

Now, using that as a reason why we'll have "better" deals on our own is... probably not quite accurate.

Given that the problem is that ISDS is perceived to reduce Wallonian sovereignty (since they can be sued whenever they make laws that adversely affect Canadian corporations), it would be ironic if the UK's awesome deals basically involve handing over control to foreign corporations in secret courts.

I expect our awesome deal with the USA will involve all disputes being settled in some East Texan court. In a May vs Clinton battle, I know who I'd put money on. Especially if our clown parade of foreign, business and trade secretaries get involved.

Timbuktu

It'll be fun to see how badly we get rogered when we're negotiating with bigger economies and bigger markets than ours, such as the US, China and... uh... the EU.

Even though I agree with Brexit, I still can't enjoy seeing people suffer, even to justify how I feel about the whole thing. It is going to happen though.

Given that the problem is that ISDS is perceived to reduce Wallonian sovereignty (since they can be sued whenever they make laws that adversely affect Canadian corporations), it would be ironic if the UK's awesome deals basically involve handing over control to foreign corporations in secret courts.

I expect our awesome deal with the USA will involve all disputes being settled in some East Texan court. In a May vs Clinton battle, I know who I'd put money on. Especially if our clown parade of foreign, business and trade secretaries get involved.

Perceived?
Also by extension any international company with Canadian branches, so basically every company of note probably.

Heartfyre

I'm mistaken then, I understood that no country had English as an official language besides us registered at the EU, The Irish 'use' Gaelic etc.

Incorrect. Constitutionally, Ireland has two official languages: Gaeilge and English. English will remain an official European language.

oti

Banned
Μα είναι για το δικό τους το καλό!

Greek is too different compared to English. So is French. The official language shouldn't be changed.

German would get my vote though. I want to see people suffer through Die Frau and Das Mädchen.

Joni

I cannot envision a future where English is not the go to language for all the Eurocrats. Documents might still have to be drafted and translated officially but on a day to day basis I think everyone has resigned to using English. Which is fair enough and wont suddenly change after Brexit.

Speaking of which what is going to happen to all those British civil servants in EU institutions? Doesn't look like they will be welcome in the UK civil service. I worry that they will all run to private lobbying firms in Europe...

They will probably keep the best if possible. As for English. Yes, it will be the one used most commonly. But it is fine for Europe to use one of their other working languages considering the team has its fair share of French speaking negotiatiors. See not only the French but the Belgians and Juncker.

It is not the problem. The problem is that Wallonia simply does very little with Canada meaning this would solely benefit Flanders at a point that the biggest party in Wallonia has nothing to say in Belgium. They were more than happy to support CETA when they were on power.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Incorrect. Constitutionally, Ireland has two official languages: Gaeilge and English. English will remain an official European language.

Each EU country is only allowed to register one language for official use, though, IIRC, and because the UK went with English, Ireland went with Gaeilge. That said the EU will continue to use English anyway because there are way more second-language English speakers than second-language French speakers.

Irminsul

I can see at least one country where that would be a huge problem.
Well, I guess you don't have to register a language that another country already registered. Which country has two languages unique to itself?

Of course, if you count languages only few people speak, there are a few, but they fall under special protection by the EU.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I can see at least one country where that would be a huge problem.

I'm presuming you mean Switzerland? Fortunately, Germany nominates German, Italy Italian, and France French.

Joni

I'm presuming you mean Switzerland? Fortunately, Germany nominates German, Italy Italian, and France French.

Well, I guess you don't have to register a language that another country already registered. Which country has two languages unique to itself?

Belgium. We of course don't use any unique languages, but the choice of a specific language would be quite controversial. Could be there is just an exception for us somewhere. I can't think there is somewhere a document saying Belgium is registered as only Dutch or only French.

Irminsul

Belgium. We of course don't use any unique languages, but the choice of a specific language would be quite controversial. Could be there is just an exception for us somewhere. I can't think there is somewhere a document saying Belgium is registered as only Dutch or only French.
Well, fortunately you can just nominate none and have all your three languages represented ;)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Funny thing, Wallonia is not the only one opposing to the deal, Romania and Bulgaria will not sign it without Canada dropping the visa requirements.

Which says a great deal about how the UK deal vs. freedom of movement will go.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Funny thing, Wallonia is not the only one opposing to the deal, Romania and Bulgaria will not sign it without Canada dropping the visa requirements.

Which says a great deal about how the UK deal vs. freedom of movement will go.

Yeah, Canada is not going to do that. Canada used to have Visa requirements for the Czech Republic within the Schengen Area too.

So in other words that was wasting Canada's time, no surprise.

bosseye

This CETA fiasco bodes well for brexit negotiations when every country has a veto

I thought this. Shows the potential impossibility of the UK securing anything like a sensible EU trade deal in any sort of sensible timeframe when it can be scuppered at any point by any member for all kinds of reasons.

Mind you, on the flipside it also serves as a reminder that trade deals outside the EU will be theoretically a lot more straightforward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom