• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggzy

I don't think the EU can start moaning that the Government will start offering 'incentives' to stay in the UK, I get that the EU would probably like to see the UK burn to send the strongest possible message, but on the other hand it would be in the Governments interest to make the UK a better place to do business

of course the elephant in the room will be how much this is going to cost the tax payer...and I expect the steel industry will be feeling very sore this morning

I think it is obvious by now that the UK government couldn't give two rats about the steel industry.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Right on cue: 'Sweetheart deal' between Nissan and ministers denied

Colin Lawther, Nissan's senior vice president for manufacturing in Europe, denied there was a special deal for the company.

"No, there is no offer of exchange. It's just the commitment form the Government to work with the whole of the automotive industry to make sure that the whole automotive industry in the UK remains competitive," he told the programme.

Asked if Nissan had received written assurances from the Government on what would happen if tariffs were imposed in the future, he said: "There's nothing, there's no special deal for Nissan. We are working within the whole of the automotive industry. We would expect nothing for us that the rest of the industry wouldn't be able to have access to."

My corporate to commoner translator just broke.

Please be single market membership which can't be said out loud because Leavers would go ballistic? That bombshell will only be dropped after some tough negotiating? Wishful thinking here

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Please be single market membership which can't be said out loud because Leavers would go ballistic? That bombshell will only be dropped after some tough negotiating? Wishful thinking here

I'd laugh and cry in despair at the same time.

It would be too damn fitting.

THKYsPM.gif

Beefy

May’s student deportation programme in tatters as legal appeal falls apart

A long-running programme to deport foreign students from the UK on the basis of hearsay evidence was in ruins today, after the appeal court ruled against the Home Office.

The decision to quietly shelve the legal challenge is a damning moment for Theresa May, who presided over the department when it used flimsy evidence to threaten tens of thousands of foreign students with detention and deportation.

http://www.politics.co.uk/news/2016...eportation-programme-in-tatters-as-legal-appe

jufonuk

not tag worthy
calling it now, single market access stays, movement of EU citizens and vice versa
we get some kind of immigration brakes.
pay money to the EU, work out a way to get some tiny fraction of funding back to us via tax breaks or loopholes.

trade elsewhere bung a few deals to the EU.
abide by some EU laws but we can make up our own.

spin it as leaving the EU and taking back control.

have no actual say in EU law making become a silent partner will very limited influence.

fight for two years to get this kind of worse off, but we can trade with others??? and tell the EU to poke some laws and stop people coming in. (pleases the Daily mail and Sun)

I want to remain BTW

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Belgium has come to an agreement with all the regional parliaments. They are now able to sign CETA.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37788882

This isn't even close to being done though.

https://business.financialpost.com/news/economy/one-step-closer-to-a-deal-here-are-belgiums-conditions-for-signing-ceta/

They include, among other things, a request to have the European Court of Justice assess the investment court system nested in CETA — and an assertion that Belgium won’t ratify the deal if investor-state dispute mechanisms remain as is.

The Belgian declaration would likely stand as its own document, in addition to a common statement on how EU countries intend to interpret CETA.

There will likely be no provisional agreement working in lieu of the final documents, it will have to be ratified federally by 28 different states which could take years.

Wallonia has essentially agreed to discuss their areas of concern with Canada. No signatures yet. Canada has to agree to the conditions.

The EU can moan if the incentives are company-specific. That's illegal under WTO rules, so unless we also want WTOxit, if we provide an incentive, we have to provide to all firms within the industry that offer comparable products. That means the UK is going to start heavily subsidizing its car industry, which leaves you rather wondering why Maggie bothered privatizing it in the first place.

Conservative governments in Australia are actually pretty gung ho about subsidizing the heck out of private enterprise (Telstra is a terrible telecommunications company that maintened market dominance due to being privatised with massive tax payer funded infrastructure far larger than any possible competitor and continues to receive funding for rural/regional coverage which is pretty much the only competive advantage it uses to justify it's immense prices). Transfers of public wealth to private enterprise seem fine. It's not exactly uncommon in the US either (farm and energy subsidies are huge give aways to private enterprise). It's only spending that's in the public interest that's Verboten, since that kind of thing may lead to uppity commoners not taking crappy job offers to stave off a quick death.

Number45

It'll have repercussions on any future trade deal though.

Also, how legal is it for other countries to do the reverse, make it so cars built in the UK get more expensive?
You do understand that this isn't what is happening here, right? It's not getting more expensive because of something the EU has done or will do? It's going to get more expensive because of something we've done, or will do.

Vagabundo

Brexit Bonanza!!:

The IDA (Ireland) has had more than 100 Brexit-related inquiries from international investors in the wake of the Leave vote.

It is understood that some of those queries have already resulted in site visits.
In those cases, companies have sent either technical teams or senior executives to Dublin to discuss with either the IDA or Government departments what Ireland has to offer them.

It is thought the most advanced of those visits has the potential to deliver several hundred jobs.
More than half of the queries have come from financial services companies, with the balance from a range of sectors including manufacturing, life sciences, IT, medical devices and pharmaceuticals.

http://www.independent.ie/business/brexit/over-100-inquiries-to-ida-since-leave-vote-35168641.html

kmag

Would a deal with UK have to go through the same political stages as CETA? Because that would be worrying for UK.

According to the EU trade commissioner yes, according to Liam Fox no.

Liam Fox believes that it'll happen as part of the A50 talks which require a qualified majority, the EU believe that since they're legally only allowed by treaty to do trade deals with 3rd parties (i.e not members of the EU) they can't do a trade deal until the UK leaves.

Any trade deal worthy of the name would almost certainly be a mixed competence deal (i.e touching on things defined as shared between the EU and it's member nations as per article 4 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union), a deal defined as mixed competence (such as CETA) requires unanimous support. Again Fox believes a limited deal could be reached which wouldn't be defined as mixed competence but it's hard to see how that could be the case.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Good news about Nissan, but it wasn't going to go any other way. The Sunderland plant is already one of, if not the most efficient in the Nissan-Renault Alliance, and one of the most efficient of all manufacturers in Europe. They would struggle to make the high-volume Qashqai anywhere else. Regarding the X-Trail, increasing tensions with Russia makes it sensible that they'd take one of their other best-selling products away from Avtovaz, and again, where else would they make it?

Liam Fox believes that it'll happen as part of the A50 talks which require a qualified majority, the EU believe that since they're legally only allowed by treaty to do trade deals with 3rd parties (i.e not members of the EU) they can't do a trade deal until the UK leaves.

"We can't do thing because of rules we made up which didn't properly consider this scenario".

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I expect one thing for sure (or almost sure): if freedom of movement and/or the status of current Eastern European citizens is/are challenged, Eastern European member states will want to extract their pound of flesh by grabbing as much manufacturing from the UK as they can, which may mean harsh or delayed negotiations.

Good news about Nissan, but it wasn't going to go any other way. The Sunderland plant is already one of, if not the most efficient in the Nissan-Renault Alliance, and one of the most efficient of all manufacturers in Europe. They would struggle to make the high-volume Qashqai anywhere else. Regarding the X-Trail, increasing tensions with Russia makes it sensible that they'd take one of their other best-selling products away from Avtovaz, and again, where else would they make it?
The European X-Trail was being made in Japan, not Russia. I had to check that yesterday when I first read the news. Russia usually (but not always) manufactures for the local market.

The thing about the X-Trail is that it couldn't be manufactured elsewhere but in the UK. Nissan Spain's factory is huge but it essentially makes commercial vehicles (vans and trucks), so it's not equiped to build the new X-Trail. That leaves Nissan UK with no competition from other European sites at the moment. Everybody knows that Renault never had a serious chance. They may be part of the same group, but they operate as separate concerns and for the most part both brands carry themselves as their own entities. Japan wants it that way and Ghosn is happy with this entente.

At the same time, the new gen X-Trail is nothing but a larger Qashqai, which was going to remain in the UK for the very same reason. They don't have to engage in a huge retool and its main market is the UK, so it made little sense to import it from Japan. Claiming that getting the X-Trail or the Qashqai is a coup as part of the media is doing is incredibly disingenuous.

nekkid

The European X-Trail was being made in Japan, not Russia. I had to check that yesterday when I first read the news. Russia usually (but not always) manufactures for the local market.

Chassis is built in Japan, power train in Spain, final construction and fitting in Russia.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Chassis is built in Japan, power train in Spain, final construction and fitting in Russia.

That's the case for the Russian market units as many Russian car factories are basically screwing parts from aboard due to the lack of a local supply chain. European ones were being built and imported from Fukuoka as it used to be the case for so many Nissan 4x4 vehicles back in the day (I believe the European Patrol is still imported from Japan). The VIN number starts with JN.

Oddly enough, this is going to be good for Nissan Spain as around 30% of the Qashqai (and probably around the same part for the new X-Trail) is sourced from Barcelona. Which begs the question about what is ever going to happen if tariffs come into play, let alone further devaluation of the pound.

Nissan bet a lot by turning Sunderland into its premiere location for non-commercial (read: cars) European vehicles. They literally have no options to manufacture them elsewhere across the Union, unless they are willing to offload them to Renault, which doesn't have the capacity (and it's not like Nissan trusts Renault's QA). Russia is also probably out of the question because tariffs and Putin being a bastard. Nissan basically trapped itself in the UK. The only way it can see Nissan taking away production from the UK in a meaningful amount is building a new factory elsewhere, which is not cheap. But it may be necessary if one day the government decides not to subsidise them. Enter post-Article 50 negotiations and the Eastern European countries.

This is going to be a mess.

You do understand that this isn't what is happening here, right? It's not getting more expensive because of something the EU has done or will do? It's going to get more expensive because of something we've done, or will do.

First, I'm not British. Portuguese, living in Portugal. Second, in the context of the British state making British cars cheaper to sell in the EU through the use of subsidies, the EU could then maybe apply specific taxes because of the subsidies.

I understand that if Britain leaves the single market, yadda yadda, products made in Britain get higher taxes / regulation costs in the EU, making them naturally more expensive than before.

It might all be moot though, since it appears the British state is going to apply some lateral thinking and "fix" it through the use of "not"-subsidies.

nekkid

That's the case for the Russian market units as many Russian car factories are basically screwing parts from aboard due to the lack of a local supply chain. European ones were being built and imported from Fukuoka as it used to be the case for so many Nissan 4x4 vehicles back in the day (I believe the European Patrol is still imported from Japan). The VIN number starts with JN.

Oddly enough, this is going to be good for Nissan Spain as around 30% of the Qashqai (and probably around the same part for the new X-Trail) is sourced from Barcelona. Which begs the question about what is ever going to happen if tariffs come into play, let alone further devaluation of the pound.

Nissan bet a lot by turning Sunderland into its premiere location for non-commercial (read: cars) European vehicles. They literally have no options to manufacture them elsewhere across the Union, unless they are willing to offload them to Renault, which doesn't have the capacity (and it's not like Nissan trusts Renault's QA). Russia is also probably out of the question because tariffs and Putin being a bastard. Nissan basically trapped itself in the UK. The only way it can see Nissan taking away production from the UK in a meaningful amount is building a new factory elsewhere, which is not cheap. But it may be necessary if one day the government decides not to subsidise them. Enter post-Article 50 negotiations and the Eastern European countries.

This is going to be a mess.

The European units are also finished in Russia. I know this, having worked with Nissan R&D for 5 years until last year - I had to support the engineers in St. Petersburg receiving handover (in a fucking February - proper freeze your balls off climate). It made the most sense because the Murano is manufactured alongside it, and is almost identical. I don't think that has changed in the last year.

I agree that it's interesting that the parts sourced from continental suppliers, mostly Spanish, would incur a levy. So you would think that perhaps Nissan are aware of a commitment from the government that is yet publicly announced. Either via subsidy or a commitment to the single market.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The European units are also finished in Russia. I know this, having worked with Nissan R&D for 5 years until last year - I had to support the engineers in St. Petersburg receiving handover (in a fucking February - proper freeze your balls off climate). It made the most sense because the Murano is manufactured alongside it, and is almost identical. I don't think that has changed in the last year.

I agree that it's interesting that the parts sourced from continental suppliers, mostly Spanish, would incur a levy. So you would think that perhaps Nissan are aware of a commitment from the government that is yet publicly announced. Either via subsidy or a commitment to the single market.

This is kind of weirding me out in a big way.

I was in the automotive press for close to a decade and until recently. Nissan's 4x4 have always been coming from Japan. Always. There would be times the homologation papers wouldn't even be European per se, but temporally issued by Nissan for driving in the EU an actual Japanese import. I can see some relatively minor work being made in Russia, but not full assemblage. That would shock me. Maybe engines/transmissions due to regulations, but Nissan doesn't seem to have that problem with other Japanese cars. As a matter of fact, Nissan always made a big deal about cars like the Patrol and the old X-trail being made in Japan and imported from there. This comes as absolute new news to me and doesn't make sense in my head unless this happened to be a recent/temporal remedy. I'd appreciate any information about it.

Feel free to PM if you think this may go way off-topic for the thread.

Audioboxer

Ditched my "bait" avatar for the time being considering until it comes to it it's best to "show solidarity" with the rest of my British remain voters.

However once push comes to shove

zVbzrLF.png

will be back on display lol.

Brexit is going to be a long, painful and drawn out process.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Car companies have plants in Russia to avoid tariffs. Very often it's just final assembly to reach a certain threshold the law demands. Duties for import cars can be up to 100% of the asking price if I remember correctly.

jelly

I see Tony Balir is still banging the drum for not doing Brexit. Can't say I disagree with him on this. Wish politicians in power actually had common sense instead of self preservation while walking off a cliff with their own parachute.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37797127

The former PM told the BBC the vote was a "catastrophe" and said it was vital to study the "real-life implications".

Mr Blair said he accepted the verdict of June's referendum, but recommended looking again at Brexit when "we have a clear sense of where we're going".

But Mr Blair told BBC Radio 4's Today programme he believed the Brexit vote was a catastrophe and argued that it was important that the views of the "16 million" people who had backed remaining in the EU should not be ignored.

He added: "If it becomes clear that this is either a deal that doesn't make it worth our while leaving, or alternatively a deal that's going to be so serious in its implications people may decide they don't want to go, there's got to be some way, either through Parliament, or an election, or possibly through another referendum, in which people express their view."

But he said the vote for Brexit could not be changed "unless it becomes clear that the British people have had a change of mind".

"We have to build the capability to mobilise and to organise. We have to prise apart the alliance which gave us Brexit."

Joni

Would a deal with UK have to go through the same political stages as CETA? Because that would be worrying for UK.

Yes. It is the same for all trade deals.

"We can't do thing because of rules we made up which didn't properly consider this scenario".
They considered it. The article was written like that to make sure everyone understood leaving is bad and stupid.

kmag

It's not rules per se. It's simply what was codified in the treaties the members signed. Given each of the members signed those treaties and the treaties were pretty difficult to negotiate, I'm not precisely sure why they should be chucking the provisions out because one soon to be ex member is acting against it's own self interest and needs more pandering.

That's the reason why a deal in favour of the UK was such a stupid pipedream. Europe would rather start driving on the wrong side before UK gets even more bonuses.

NekoFever

I see Tony Balir is still banging the drum for not doing Brexit. Can't say I disagree with him on this. Wish politicians in power actually had common sense instead of self preservation while walking off a cliff with their own parachute.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37797127

The former PM told the BBC the vote was a "catastrophe" and said it was vital to study the "real-life implications".

Mr Blair said he accepted the verdict of June's referendum, but recommended looking again at Brexit when "we have a clear sense of where we're going".

But Mr Blair told BBC Radio 4's Today programme he believed the Brexit vote was a catastrophe and argued that it was important that the views of the "16 million" people who had backed remaining in the EU should not be ignored.

He added: "If it becomes clear that this is either a deal that doesn't make it worth our while leaving, or alternatively a deal that's going to be so serious in its implications people may decide they don't want to go, there's got to be some way, either through Parliament, or an election, or possibly through another referendum, in which people express their view."

But he said the vote for Brexit could not be changed "unless it becomes clear that the British people have had a change of mind".

"We have to build the capability to mobilise and to organise. We have to prise apart the alliance which gave us Brexit."

I agree with him. It needs to be put to a vote once we know what Brexit actually entails. It's a far more complicated issue than in/out. While I'm sure there are plenty of rabid Express readers who would vote out no matter what, there are sane Leave voters who would change sides without single market access, or if the economy keeps slowing down.

But then again we can't go into negotiations with that possibility because it shows we're not negotiating in good faith and it gives the EU another bargaining chip (just offer a shitty deal, Brexit doesn't happen and the problem goes away).

But then again we can't go into negotiations with that possibility because it shows we're not negotiating in good faith and it gives the EU another bargaining chip (just offer a shitty deal, Brexit doesn't happen and the problem goes away).

If there's any possibility of invoking article 50 and then take it back there will never be anything but the shittiest deals on the table ever, otherwise, everyone could just do trial Brexits, see if the deal is any good, take it back if not.

nekkid

It's not rules per se. It's simply what was codified in the treaties the members signed. Given each of the members signed those treaties and the treaties were pretty difficult to negotiate, I'm not precisely sure why they should be chucking the provisions out because one soon to be ex member is acting against it's own self interest and needs more pandering.

I'm not suggesting it would mean pandering. It just feels like they're rigidly adhering to rules that inadequately account for the scenario, even against their own best interests. The way I read it is that there's one rule that says it takes 2 years to leave, and another rule that says that a current member can't negotiate an independent trade arrangement. But there's no cross-function between those rules that says that a member who has activated a50 has committed to leave, therefore can negotiate trade that occurs after leaving - even with the EU itself.

I don't want us to leave, but this stuff doesn't exactly warm me any more to the EU. At best these regulations seem poorly-considered, at worst they seem draconian.

Edit: ugh, auto correct.

kmag

I'm not suggesting it would mean pandering. It just feels like they're rigidly adhering to rules that inadequately account for the scenario, even against their own best interests. The way I read it is that there's one rule that says it takes 2 years to leave, and another rule that says that a current member can't negotiate an independent trade arrangement. But there's no cross-function between those rules that says that a member who has activated a50 has committed to leave, therefore can negotiate trade that occurs after leaving - even with the EU itself.

I don't want us to leave, but this stuff doesn't exactly warm me any more to the EU. At best these regulators ions seem poorly-considered, at worst they seem draconian.

They're not regulations. They're the actual terms of the treaties. They're what everyone explicitly and actively agreed to via an negotiated process. It's not like the big bad EU sat and made the terms, it was the individual member states . And both articles individually make sense i.e if you're in a customs union you can't do individual external trade deals during that time.

nekkid

They're not regulations. They're the actual terms of the treaties. They're what everyone explicitly and actively agreed to via an negotiated process. It's not like the big bad EU sat and made the terms, it was the individual member states . And both articles individually make sense i.e if you're in a customs union you can't do individual external trade deals during that time.

Of course they make complete sense in isolation, that's besides the point. And I'm not that bothered about how they came into being, or the lack of foresight, really.

PJV3

I agree with him. It needs to be put to a vote once we know what Brexit actually entails. It's a far more complicated issue than in/out. While I'm sure there are plenty of rabid Express readers who would vote out no matter what, there are sane Leave voters who would change sides without single market access, or if the economy keeps slowing down.

I'm with Blair on the EU situation, a lot of Brexit people would follow their sat-nav off a cliff using current logic.

The government should honestly try to make the vote work, but the PM should have the freedom not to blindly crash the country without confirmation from the people if it's looking bad.

First, I'm not British. Portuguese, living in Portugal. Second, in the context of the British state making British cars cheaper to sell in the EU through the use of subsidies, the EU could then maybe apply specific taxes because of the subsidies.

I understand that if Britain leaves the single market, yadda yadda, products made in Britain get higher taxes / regulation costs in the EU, making them naturally more expensive than before.

It might all be moot though, since it appears the British state is going to apply some lateral thinking and "fix" it through the use of "not"-subsidies.

In short, no, they can't specifically target the UK with higher tariffs

The EU has to follow WTO rules when dealing with 3rd countries, which means treating post-Brexit UK in exactly the same way as they deal with anyone else that they don't have a specific trade agreement with.

If the UK start subsidising car manufacturing, the EU could:

1) Do nothing
2) Demand compensation from the UK if the subsidy contravenes the WTO rules on 'dumping' or 'state aid'
3) Raise tariffs on car imports for all countries not covered by trade agreements

Ultimately, I think the UK will do nothing. Nissan can't leave in the short term, so anything they do will be a problem for the next government. And if it's still a Tory government at the time, well... making a bunch of mackems unemployed has never worried the Tories in the past.

Conan-san

Well, great, this stupid vote has me being forced to be roughly on the same side as Tony Warmongerer Blair (Scottish, wants our 60% stay vote and promise of EU membership re: Indyref honoured)

This vote is just the punji stick fuck hole that just keeps on giving.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
They considered it. The article was written like that to make sure everyone understood leaving is bad and stupid.

You cannot halt the exit process, correct? Except maybe with unanimous support from all members which would never happen.

Then no, after Article 50 is triggered trade deals should be negotiable to come into effect upon the (essentially unstoppable) exit. The fact that future trade deals outside the EU are not legally negotiable until after the 2 years is deliberate fuckery. Once the article in question is triggered it should be a go-ahead.

I think the EU has been a force for good generally, but that rule is pretty toxic and I don't see anyone ever rejoining after going through that.

You cannot halt the exit process, correct? Except maybe with unanimous support from all members which would never happen.

Then no, after Article 50 is triggered trade deals should be negotiable to come into effect upon the (essentially unstoppable) exit. The fact that future trade deals outside the EU are not legally negotiable until after the 2 years is deliberate fuckery. Once the article in question is triggered it should be a go-ahead.

I think the EU has been a force for good generally, but that rule is pretty toxic and I don't see anyone ever rejoining after going through that.

Honestly I doubt anyone really wants leaving and joining to be an easy exercise.
No matter how much I would regret it I wouldn't expect or want the UK to rejoin in our lifetime, if they decide to leave.

sammex

OcafxFK.jpg

May have to mod this in...

Haha that's amazing.

Meanwhile....

Apple raises computer prices in UK

Apple has increased the prices of its laptop and desktop computers in the UK by hundreds of pounds.

On Thursday, the company unveiled new Macbook Pro laptops, with prices similar to the US after currency conversion and addition of UK VAT.

But the company also increased the prices of its older computer products, including the three-year-old Mac Pro, by hundreds of pounds.

One analyst said consumers should expect further price increases.

"Apple has to recalibrate prices after significant currency fluctuations, and since the EU referendum, UK prices are out of sync with the dollar," said Patrick O'Brien, analyst at the Verdict Retail consultancy.

"Apple has taken the hit up until now. While price increases won't look good to the consumer, it's difficult to blame Apple.

"Once you strip out UK sales tax (VAT) and the currency conversion, the new UK prices could still be viewed as fair."

A number of technology companies have increased their prices in the UK, reflecting the lower value of the pound.

Apple's least expensive laptop - the 13in Macbook Air, last updated in March 2015 - now costs £949, up from £849.

Its Mac Pro desktop computer - last updated in December 2013 - now costs £2,999, up from £2,499.

"Apple suggests product prices internationally on the basis of several factors, including currency exchange rates, local import laws, business practices, taxes, and the cost of doing business," the company told the BBC.

"International prices are not always comparable to US suggested retail prices."

Rival Microsoft has already announced UK price increases for some of its business services.

Earlier in October, the company said some service prices would go up by 22% in 2017, reflecting the pound's weakened value against the euro.

"We periodically assess the impact of local pricing of our products and services to ensure there is reasonable alignment across the region and this change is an outcome of this assessment," the company said.

Mr O'Brien said it was "inevitable" that more companies would increase the prices of products and services.

"Retailers are struggling with increased costs to import goods, and it's something they cannot afford to swallow themselves," he told the BBC.

"We will definitely see further price rises, so if people are in the market for big-ticket items such as laptops, it might be a wise idea to buy now rather than later."

BBC

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
EU States Fear Theresa May Is Using Controversial Alliances To Divide And Conquer

https://www.buzzfeed.com/albertonar...sial-alliances?utm_term=.cqZVgo88j#.rwxE8nGG3
That would be beyond idiotic and a good way to piss off your friends.

3) Don’t play ‘divide and rule’, a fragmented EU-27 would give the UK a worse deal
But what can the UK offer to secure Italy’s continued goodwill? One interesting answer I got is that Italy sees the Brexit negotiations as an opportunity to relaunch the broader discussion about the future direction of travel of EU integration – along the lines, incidentally, of the ‘two-circle Europe’ model laid out by Italian Foreign Minister Paolo Gentiloni with his then UK counterpart Philip Hammond in a joint op-ed they penned at the end of 2015. As such, preserving the cohesion of the EU-27 is an absolute priority for Rome.

Therefore, from Italy’s standpoint, it would be helpful if the UK made it clear from the very beginning of the negotiations that, although it is leaving, it wants the EU-27 to be united and successful in the years and decades to come. A fragmented EU-27, I was told in Rome, would ultimately be more likely to give the UK a bad deal. In other words, playing ‘divide and rule’ in the negotiations would not be in the UK’s interest.

Other issues Italy attaches great importance to are, unsurprisingly, the position of hundreds of thousands of Italians currently living, studying or working in the UK – as well as Britain’s role in coping with the on-going migrant crisis in the Mediterranean. On the latter, Italy would clearly like the UK to do more. And given its large aid budget and security capabilities, the UK clearly has something to offer.

chadskin

Switzerland may hold a second referendum on EU immigration:

Officials in Bern have been trying to implement curbs on EU migrants following the results of a 2014 referendum, a political context directly comparable to Brexit. But, the EU is making no concessions so far.
Bern hopes to come to an agreement under which a current resident of Switzerland – Swiss or EU citizen – will have preferential access to its job market. The Swiss parliament will vote on this proposal this December. Proponents of the bill argue that this deal requires no EU approval, but both Brussels and EU member states are not willing to play along, fearing that will have a spillover effect on Brexit negotiations.

But, even if that proposal was miraculously accepted in Brussels, it would not be acceptable in Bern.

The Swiss People’s Party (SVP) that spearheaded the anti-immigration campaign in 2014 opposes the deal and wants a clear cut quota system. The SVP opposition has been threatening to collect 50,000 votes and force a second referendum on the issue unless the government succumbs to its pressure.
The government is calling the bluff, planning its own referendum and framing the question more simply. “Close the Swiss borders to EU migrants and say goodbye [to the] Single European Market or preserve open borders.”

The Swiss Justice Minister Simonetta Sommaruga made the point succinctly: “you can’t have both” and “you have to decide.”
https://www.neweurope.eu/article/switzerland-towards-second-referendum-eu-migrants/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom