• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Switzerland isn't even in the Customs Union. They can probably leave Schengen pretty easily too. They've always held the EU at arm's length, moreso than Norway.

Kyougar

Switzerland isn't even in the Customs Union. They can probably leave Schengen pretty easily too. They've always held the EU at arm's length, moreso than Norway.

so they are just negotiating for shit and giggles?

They are in the single market, the most valued piece of trade agreement in existence for them. They are a high priced wealthy region that needs cheap labor and the single market to prosper. shutting both would tank their economy

Pancake Mix

so they are just negotiating for shit and giggles?

They are in the single market, the most valued piece of trade agreement in existence for them. They are a high priced wealthy region that needs cheap labor and the single market to prosper. shutting both would tank their economy

Yes, but that's their decision to make.

Cheap labour is a little misleading though considering they have some of the highest income equality at the same time as they have some of the highest wages in the world, as you would expect. Relatively cheap perhaps, but only relatively.

Minus both being in the Schengen Area, the way Norway and Switzerland have always held the EU at arms length the best they can is a model for a moderate, compromising Brexit. I don't expect either country's position to change anytime soon, including with this vote. But that is their choice as well.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
How willing does anyone think Poland and other eastern Europeans are to give the UK a good deal?
The treatment of polish and other eastern European immigrants is appalling, undoubtedly, I'd feel slighted as a polish person.

Mr. Sam

From purely anecdotal evidence, I don't think there's as much resentment for Britain from eastern European nations as some might think, though talking to young eastern Europeans who already live in the UK is obviously a bit of a flawed barometer.

norinrad

How willing does anyone think Poland and other eastern Europeans are to give the UK a good deal?
The treatment of polish and other eastern European immigrants is appalling, undoubtedly, I'd feel slighted as a polish person.

Trade is very crucial for all. The UK will leave and trade will go on.

Kabouter

Trade in general, yes. Trade with the UK, no. For many EU member states, trade with the UK is significant to be sure. However, there's plenty of countries in Eastern Europe that trade very little with the UK, and have far more to lose from making concessions that would hurt their citizens living in the UK or hurt EU cohesion than they would lose from erecting trade barriers with the UK.

KonradLaw

I don't think UK will have problems with securing free trade with EU. They are beyond fucked on free transfer of services and passporting rights though. No way they're getting that and for UK it's far more important than actual trade.

Nilaul

Lower tax in order to make up for lack of passporting. There is nothing stopping EU from lowering their tax in response.

It is a game that Britain can not win.

El Topo

... So par for the course for May and the 3 brexiteers then?

I assume this is all to deliberately put the UK in a bad situation so that a regular deal, i.e. as it is right now (except with possibly a higher fee), is easier to swallow for the public.
Make it seem like you fought really hard for the Brexit and ultimately against "the evil European Empire" you got the best deal possible.

Binabik15

Lower tax in order to make up for lack of passporting. There is nothing stopping EU from lowering their tax in response.

The only winning move the UK has is not to play.

And even that is a pyrrhic victory since the pound has tanked and the last round of special snowflakes concessions Cameron got went poof.

Well played.

Juicy Bob

I feel really unhappy about being a part of this country right now.

I always thought we were a nation of good people. I can't read a single comments section or read Twitter without feeling totally hopeless. Ignorance, xenophobia and just a lack of good will everywhere.

I'm just sad.

kmag

Most of these companies don't really pay corporation tax in any real amounts in the UK anyway. Nissan for instance go through Switzerland, which has an effective rate of 7.8% hard to beat that!

Just saw a report on the BBC that was at once hilarious and depressing. Turns out, because of the devaluation of the pound, we're technically not meeting our financial commitments by about 2 billion euros.

Sarek

Little Brexit anecdote from this week. During Q2 results presentation Finnish forest industry company UPM said it was "reviewing the performance" of all its European paper mills. In an article I read the analyst being interviewed said that because of the market uncertainty created by the Brexit vote, the two in UK were the most likely candidates to be shut down.

kmag

Lots of talk that Carney will be signalling his intention to exit his contract at the BOE in 2018 next week. That might take the pound in to the $1.20 range. The markets like Carney even if the Brexiteers do not. An ideologically appropriate replacement would be seen as a unstable factor.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Trudeau isn't going anywhere anytime soon, so you can bet Carney wants to hold off a bit longer.

I don't want him to leave his post. He's been the most sensible voice of reason through all this bullshit, from both sides.

kmag

I know he came under a lot of criticism for perceiving to 'getting invloved' with the referendum...so to many brexiteers he can not be trusted, so TBF he needs to go

He had to give forward guidance to settle the markets . He did. He's been largely right. Of course experts being verboten in the new Brit Reich is a bit of an issue.

The markets trust him, the UK is at the whim of the markets.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
He had to give forward guidance to settle the markets . He did. He's been largely right. Of course experts being verboten in the new Brit Reich is a bit of an issue.

The markets trust him, the UK is at the whim of the markets.

What I like most about the Brexiteers' opinions on Mark Carney, are how they love to say how he was "wrong" and therefore unreliable. If by "wrong" they mean he was inaccurate at predicting quite how shit things would be, then I guess they're right.

KDR_11k

It's not the difficulty of leaving that's their problem, the govt and business want to maintain single market membership but the public vote was to restrict immigration. The EU has already made it clear that if that's implemented then Switzerland gets ejected from the single market so the politicians are looking for any way to avoid implementing those restrictions.

Tak3n

Banned
from the BBC

The UK told Nissan it would seek tariff-free access to EU markets for the motor industry as part of Brexit talks, the business secretary has said.
Greg Clark said this statement of the government's objectives had helped persuade Nissan to boost its investment in the UK, securing thousands of jobs.
Ministers have been under pressure to clarify the "support and assurances" Nissan said it received.

PJV3

So why should the EU accept tariff-free access for the automotive industry if the alternative is getting the plants moved to the EU?

I don't get it either, this is a golden opportunity to raid the UK and get some decent quality jobs transferred.

jelly

So why should the EU accept tariff-free access for the automotive industry if the alternative is getting the plants moved to the EU?

Yeah, you think some countries in the EU are going to agree to that. Not a chance in hell.

Nissan probably got a keep quiet deal because Nissian can't move anytime soon even if they wanted to so will just ride out their current cars in the UK while setting up elsewhere in the EU down the line. If the UK doesn't get single market access or tariff free they will bail. UK government is just desperate to avoid the shit hitting the fan narrative before they attempt a deal with the EU. They don't have good cards to play with but better to have some than very few and that is what would happen if big companies started uprooting right now. It's a bluff though.

The whole "we'll be gunning for tariff free access for the automotive industry" from the govt seems super weird when there's literally almost no chance of UK-EU not agreeing a free trade deal in goods at least. Maybe they just mean as a transitional thing before a full FTA is agreed, IDK this govt clearly has no clue about anything so trying to read into their statements about anything is nigh on pointless.

Pancake Mix

This is good news. He knows what he's doing.

Well nothing really happens so it's just moaning about every minor bit of news or comment someone can find on the day.

Brexit is happening. The only question is whether it is hard or soft at this point.

There's still 5 months of probably nothing happening until Article 50 is triggered. At that point some ideas will have to come up.

I'd move us to community too.

Mr. Sam

Most people who are interested are presumably already subscribed anyway. I assume we'll have a new thread when A50 is triggered.

sammex

Big pharma want some of that sweet Nissan action.

CwCRrHBW8AAqzcl.jpg

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
In a move that surprised absolutely no one. Didn't Wales and Cornwall basically demand the same just the day after the referendum? So much cake to have and eat for everyone. The best most glutinous cakes!

yeah they wanted assurances that funding wouldn't be cut even though they both voted to leave and all that funding came from EU grants. you couldn't make this shit up.

Zaph

hah, poor middle England who thought this misguided protest vote would help them in some way. Instead, the help is going to millionaires just to keep the status quo.

BigAl1992

Big pharma want some of that sweet Nissan action.

CwCRrHBW8AAqzcl.jpg

The starting gun for A50 has even been fired yet, and already it seems people are lining up demanding the UK government cover the financial hole that leaving the EU is going to cause. I dread to know how UKGAF is going to be like by this time next year. We haven't even seen the start of all this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom