• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harmen

So now there is a fairly decent chance the UK will actually remain in the EU due to the current government not being eligible to trigger article 50? That would be great news for the UK .

So now there is a fairly decent chance the UK will actually remain in the EU due to the current government not being eligible to trigger article 50? That would be great news for the UK .

it just means parliament can to vote on it. doesn't mean Brexit will be blocked, just that there's a slim chance.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
e3402b10d65a472aa062d8de765d5e7f.png

say whaaaaaaaat

This is going to get ugly as all fuck if the devolved assemblies act as claimants. I was pretty 50/50 about whether Scotland would leave or not, but this kind of public confrontation would kill the Union dead.

Cameron and May are not going to go down well in the history books.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The tories before the referendum were majority remain were they not, but of course some leavers may have chosen to remain quiet and of course we've had flip-floppers like May and there's always the whole thing about toeing the party line.

Things could go either way.

Mr. Sam

Rumours are May won't appeal - if she does, and loses in the Supreme Court, then there would be almost no time to draft legislation in time for her self-imposed deadline. Personally, I think that's the cover story - I think the real reason is that the Northern Ireland, Welsh, and Scottish governments have all expressed interest in being claimants if the case is taken to the Supreme Court, and May is aware of just how absolutely, totally, and horrifically awful that would look for the Union.

Welp.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

yeah, as I said, I'm actually shocked. There's no way the government wins this case, absolutely none. The verdict was reached quickly and was a decisive ruling. The government will lose again, after an incredibly acrimonious confrontation where the devolved assemblies will get involved and word is Osborne is planning to lead a group of Conservative MPs to get involved too. May will have absolutely no time to introduce legislation for her self-imposed deadline. It's just...

May isn't playing 11th dimensional chess or anything. They actually do just have absolutely no idea what they're doing. The government of the United Kingdom has been reduced to lashing out wildly and blindly.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
yeah, as I said, I'm actually shocked. There's no way the government wins this case, absolutely none. The verdict was reached quickly and was a decisive ruling. The government will lose again, after an incredibly acrimonious confrontation where the devolved assemblies will get involved and word is Osborne is planning to lead a group of Conservative MPs to get involved too. May will have absolutely no time to introduce legislation for her self-imposed deadline. It's just...

May isn't playing 11th dimensional chess or anything. They actually do just have absolutely no idea what they're doing. The government of the United Kingdom has been reduced to lashing out wildly and blindly.

Maybe May just wants to crash the Brexit side?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

If she wanted to crash the Brexit side, she could have just accepted the appeal. The appeal is great for someone who wants to do that - she could just accept Parliament's vote, and then know that the process will be dragged out accordingly, weakening the position of Brexiteers as more information was released.

There's just no logic to this. I can't see any reason why anyone in May's position would go ahead with this. It's madness. I'm just shocked.

Maledict

I used to think this was all part of her planning as well to get out of it, but I don't think that's the case. I think she's actually just staggeringly incompetent, and led by the nose from the Daily Mail more than anything else. Whilst she did some good things for LGBT and women's rights, she was also a complete disaster at the Home Office and only survived thanks to Dave not sacking anyone ever.

She isn't playing 11th dimensional chess, she's just a fairly bad politician and leader who is so far out of her depth its staggering and doesn't have a clue what the hell to do. Boris Johnson being Foreign Secretary should have given the game away but I was still thinking it was a deliberate plan.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Literally nothing May does is smart - she's a brexiteer now plain and simple. She means what she says.

But even if you're a Brexiteer - you're going to lose this appeal. You're going to lose it very publicly, in an open confrontation with parts of your own party and the rest of the Union. You gained absolutely nothing from this compared to just accepting the verdict, and beginning to introduce legislation. It's not like this is some crafty choice by shrewd Brexiteers. It's just... I don't know. It's unlike anything I've seen.

Conan-san

Oh you, dumb dumb dumb dumb daughter of a bastard.

Nevermind the EU, hen, your stupid arse will look great next to the stag head. And that's before the Irish and Welsh get thier hands on you.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
But even if you're a Brexiteer - you're going to lose this appeal. You're going to lose it very publicly, in an open confrontation with parts of your own party and the rest of the Union. You gained absolutely nothing from this compared to just accepting the verdict, and beginning to introduce legislation. It's not like this is some crafty choice by shrewd Brexiteers. It's just... I don't know. It's unlike anything I've seen.

Maybe she's a (bad) Poker player. This is her all-in. Unfortunately everybody knows the cards she's holding.

Maledict

Because she's literally the living embodiment of the Daily Mail. and the Daily Mail is screaming from the rooftops about this. Nothing about her government has indicated ANY sort of planning or thought - it's literally bile mixed in with policies that appeal to a part of the Tory base (my parents!). Grammar schools for example.

She's a disaster. didn't think I'd be saying that tbh, as I thought she was the best choice for the job, but she has absolutely no capability to lead at all and no clue about what to do other than to try and appeal to a specific segment of the population.

She wants the power to dictate brexit to the exact specifications of the daily mail.

chadskin

Corbyn:
This ruling underlines the need for the government to bring its negotiating terms to parliament without delay. Labour respects the decision of the British people to leave the European Union. But there must be transparency and accountability to parliament on the terms of Brexit.

Labour will be pressing the case for a Brexit that works for Britain, putting jobs, living standards and the economy first.

Conan-san

Wales voted leave.
Fair enough, my mistake. Oh and mia culpa on the market prediction, got that wrong too.

She's a disaster. didn't think I'd be saying that tbh, as I thought she was the best choice for the job, but she has absolutely no capability to lead at all and no clue about what to do other than to try and appeal to a specific segment of the population.
She wasnae even a choice! She won by default!

But I guess we now see first hand the wages of absolutely no democratic oversight (not even voted in my her fellow droogs) in the appointment of a PM now don't we?

A joker who came to wear the crown.

Maledict

Fair enough, my mistake. Oh and mia culpa on the market prediction, got that wrong too.

She wasnae even a choice! She won by default!

But I guess we now see first hand the wages of absolutely no democratic oversight in the appointment of a PM now don't we?

A joker who came to wear the crown.

She would have won had it gone to the vote to be honest, and if she hadn't it was going to be Leadsom who was even worse. She was always the strongest contender, and smart money had been on her winning for a while thanks to how she played the referendum.

And Jeremy Corbyn has been chosen twice as Labour Leader in a massive democratic process - and he's appallingly useless at the job. Part of me is weeping inside about how Labour could be and should be performing right now. iIstead they have him.

Maledict

If you mean sing from the tory song book then sure #winning, I guess.

? Sorry you're not making sense.

May was always the strongest contender in any leadership election post-referendum, particulary after Johnson and Gove self-combusted. Hell, if you look at the candidates they were mostly a shower of unimpressive wombles anyway. The fact she got the job without having to go through a vote of the tory membership doesn't mean anything.

(And lets remember, whilst we might be enjoying this brexit set-back, she's currently MASSIVELY ahead in the polls by a huge, unprecedented margins right now - so it's not like she would lose an election if one were called next week).

say whaaaaaaaat

This is going to get ugly as all fuck if the devolved assemblies act as claimants. I was pretty 50/50 about whether Scotland would leave or not, but this kind of public confrontation would kill the Union dead.

Cameron and May are not going to go down well in the history books.

Hey, sorry if this is a stupid question, but what exactly does it mean to "act as claimants"?

Quite amusing that Cameron offered the referendum to unify the Conservative party only now to watch it more than likely tear itself apart.
Ukip and labour doing the same has created a political landscape like I've never witnessed.
Parliament would almost certainly pass the legislation anyhow if May invoked the whip and Corbyn offered a free vote.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, sorry if this is a stupid question, but what exactly does it mean to "act as claimants"?

They want to contribute to the argument, basically. They'll pick up on key issues and ask for the prosecution to use those.

sammex

I'd classify this ruling as not worse

Which in todays climate is pretty good

Well it dramatically lessens the chance of a hard brexit where we crash the economy so I'd say it's good news. On the other hand, like Crab mentioned, if the appeal holds it could push Scotland closer to leaving the union (apparently it seems unlikely the gov will win the appeal).

Harmen

it just means parliament can to vote on it. doesn't mean Brexit will be blocked, just that there's a slim chance.

Ah, my mistake. But given the recent events (pound tanking, companies moving abroad, companies asking for government support etc.) surely the majority view of the parliament has a decent chance to be in favour of the remain side now? Or are they all willing to tank the economy of their nation because of an ill informed vote a few months back, since when the situation has turned for the worse?

Maledict

So what happens if May schedules a vote on Article 50 next week? Or does this specifically require a new Act of Parliament with all the committees, scrutiny and bouncing between chambers that entails?

Ah, my mistake. But given the recent events (pound tanking, companies moving abroad, companies asking for government support etc.) surely the majority view of the parliament has a decent chance to be in favour of the remain side now? Or are they all willing to tank the economy of their nation because of an ill informed vote a few months back, since when the situation has turned for the worse?

The pound has indeed tanked but other than that it's basically made next to no difference to the internal UK economy so far really, the economy still grew and unemployment falling. Not to say these things won't happen but the state of the economy currently is balancing out the pro and anti brexit arguments.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

No, I think it is quite sensible.

The Government has to appeal this to get a definitive Supreme Court ruling, otherwise there's a chance that further down the line it will get to the SC by another means.

The SC will support the High Court ruling, because Parliamentary Supremacy.

The Art 50 Act won't get through Parliament, because Lords. Parliament Act won't be invoked because constitutional crisis. Government will fall, general election. Loony Tories will decamp, Libdems will resurge, sane Tories will win, we'll stay in the EU and all will be for the best in the best of all possible worlds - except for Labour.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
So someone is finally going to be forced to come up with a plan more detailed than "brexit means brexit"

can we finally use "things are looking pretty good" unironically?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
No, I think it is quite sensible.

The Government has to appeal this to get a definitive Supreme Court ruling, otherwise there's a chance that further down the line it will get to the SC by another means.

Why? I don't understand your argument here. Who would press for the ability of the government to trigger Article 50 without a vote of parliament if the government themselves already had said "fuck it, we'll use legislation"?

The Art 50 Act won't get through Parliament, because Lords. Parliament Act won't be invoked because constitutional crisis. Government will fall, general election. Loony Tories will decamp, Libdems will resurge, sane Tories will win, we'll stay in the EU and all will be for the best in the best of all possible worlds - except for Labour.

I don't understand why the 1949 wouldn't be invoked. I don't think this is a likely path.

Chinner

Banned
It's interesting the narrative that the brexiters like forage are spinning that this will be used to undermine the vote. Literally just turning the demographic into pure outrage and d panic.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Why? I don't understand your argument here. Who would press for the ability of the government to trigger Article 50 without a vote of parliament if the government themselves already had said "fuck it, we'll use legislation"?

Any rich UKIPer who wants to stick it to the Tories for wimping out of the "will of the people" by putting the vote to an uncompliant Parliament. The judgment makes it clear that pretty well anyone in the UK has the standing to bring this before the courts.

So, Farage basically.

I don't understand why the 1949 wouldn't be invoked. I don't think this is a likely path.

Because of the delay factor - prolonging the uncertainty. Might be used as a threat, but I can't see it being invoked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom