• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bunch of tweets saying Govt have accepted Labour's motion to demand a plan is published before the process begins.

Which:
1. Well held, May
2. Now you have to come up with a plan

I presume this is going to be the world's vaguest plan.

Step 1: Article 50
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Profit and take back control

A bunch of tweets saying Govt have accepted Labour's motion to demand a plan is published before the process begins.

Which:
1. Well held, May
2. Now you have to come up with a plan

I presume this is going to be the world's vaguest plan.

Step 1: Article 50
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Profit and take back control

I believe step two is 'red, white and blue Brexit'.

PJV3

The government is pretending bad news doesn’t exist
Directors of trade bodies – many of them facing economic and regulatory disaster – went in to brief David Davis when he was made Brexit secretary. But before they got to his office they were taken to one side by civil servants and advised to go in saying Brexit was full of “opportunities”. Anyone who didn’t tended to be asked to leave after five minutes.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/dec/06/twenty-reasons-brexit-trickier-than-we-thought

I don't know how true it is, but it made me smile. I accept the coming shit-storm and merely pray we come out of it still sane.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
SNP will vote against triggering A50 anyhow if the government loses in the SC.
Not sure how the SC could rule against a parliamentary vote.

the Scottish government (and the Northern Irish, to be fair) are both arguing that the EU is an essential part of the devolution legislation without which said legislation would be fundamentally changed, and that that Brexit also requires consent of the Northern Irish and Scottish parliaments. Most legal commentators seem to think it is highly unlikely the SC will be convinced of this, but you can't blame them for trying.

Mr. Sam

I accept each day of this farce more gladly than the last, happy that we are paying an ever more severe price for our hubris. Well, I say "we"...

Xando

UK becoming American, confirmed.

American?

Guess who else likes red, blue and white

images

oti

Banned
The government is pretending bad news doesn’t exist
Directors of trade bodies – many of them facing economic and regulatory disaster – went in to brief David Davis when he was made Brexit secretary. But before they got to his office they were taken to one side by civil servants and advised to go in saying Brexit was full of “opportunities”. Anyone who didn’t tended to be asked to leave after five minutes.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/dec/06/twenty-reasons-brexit-trickier-than-we-thought

I don't know how true it is, but it made me smile. I accept the coming shit-storm and merely pray we come out of it still sane.

I should subscribe to the guardian.

I should subscribe to the guardian.

The Comment is Free section gets a lot of stick for various leftist identity politicking articles that frequently run, but the paper as a whole has a lot of decent stuff. See John Harris's frequent forays into 'Brexit' land to ask voters what they think (the cliche 'they're angry' articles, but still good), and so forth.

theaface

“I’m interested in all these terms that have been identified – hard Brexit, soft Brexit, black Brexit, white Brexit, grey Brexit – and actually what we should be looking for is a red, white and blue Brexit,”

I see characters, I see words. A sentence, even. But I don't see one jot of substance or meaning in any of that.

I can't even imagine what Armando Ianucci must make of it all aside from thinking government has well and truly jumped the shark.

Tacitus_

Theresa May has sought to fend off a parliamentary revolt over Brexit by promising to publish a negotiating plan, but says she will challenge MPs to vote in favour of triggering article 50 by the end of March.

March, but what year

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
yeah they know they're going to lose the high court case and if it goes back to parliament they actually need a plan so they agreed to Labour's proposal. May's government is in shambles. They have no idea what they're doing and it becomes more and more obvious each day.

Uzzy

I've seen the leaked memo describing the Brexit plan. It just says 'Brexit means Brexit' in red, white and blue text.

Genius.

Mr. Sam

“I’m interested in all these terms that have been identified – hard Brexit, soft Brexit, black Brexit, white Brexit, grey Brexit – and actually what we should be looking for is a red, white and blue Brexit,”

I'd not heard of a black Brexit, a white Brexit or a grey Brexit before reading this quote. Am I going mad? I know, "Am I going mad?" is the prevelant thought when reading anything about Brexit, but this shit in particular is just nonsense.

Somebody on Twitter, who I really should credit, explained what a red, white and blue Brexit meant:

Red - for the nation's finances
White - for our preferred race
Blue - for the next fifty years of Parliament

Number45

I've only heard it referred to as hard or soft. Assuming she added those other colours to elevate the hilarity of the punchline.

Number45

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...theresa-may-government-article-50-anna-soubry

“When the crunch comes, and the hardline Brexiteers put the needs of their ideology in front of the needs of constituents and the country, [May] will need us.”
Not pulling any punches there, nice.

Interesting (infuriating) how she's asked parliament to back the planned exit at the end of March purely because she's said they're going to produce a document, without anyone knowing quite what that document would include.

NekoFever

the Scottish government (and the Northern Irish, to be fair) are both arguing that the EU is an essential part of the devolution legislation without which said legislation would be fundamentally changed, and that that Brexit also requires consent of the Northern Irish and Scottish parliaments. Most legal commentators seem to think it is highly unlikely the SC will be convinced of this, but you can't blame them for trying.

The reactions would be amazing if it worked.

I honestly think it would be best for everyone if they ruled that Brexit couldn't happen without the consent of the Scottish parliament. The shitshow gets stopped; the UK government gets to make a show of being angry and doing everything it could; Little Englanders are livid at the SNP but they hate them anyway so no change there.

mclem

The reactions would be amazing if it worked.

I honestly think it would be best for everyone if they ruled that Brexit couldn't happen without the consent of the Scottish parliament. The shitshow gets stopped; the UK government gets to make a show of being angry and doing everything it could; Little Englanders are livid at the SNP but they hate them anyway so no change there.

...and confusing everyone, the SNP suddenly makes electoral inroads in central London.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man

God no. Then the people who campaigned for Brexit have an ideal way to continue to drive division and push the disenfranchised to support them. At this point I think the best we can hope for is that the pain of Brexit is temporary rather than screwing the country completely for the long term.

yeah they know they're going to lose the high court case and if it goes back to parliament they actually need a plan so they agreed to Labour's proposal. May's government is in shambles. They have no idea what they're doing and it becomes more and more obvious each day.

They still haven't grasped the full scale of challenge or complexity.

Was talking to someone at DEXEU yesterday who said that many of the briefing conversations with Ministers are still ending up at why "why can't we just do X".

kmag

They still haven't grasped the full scale of challenge or complexity.

Was talking to someone at DEXEU yesterday who said that many of the briefing conversations with Ministers are still ending up at why "why can't we just do X".

Is it still true they're really struggling with recruitment, I was speaking to someone in the civil service about a month back who was saying there's been a lot of strong arm treatment into transferring or seconding to Davis's department.

Is it still true they're really struggling with recruitment, I was speaking to someone in the civil service about a month back who was saying there's been a lot of strong arm treatment into transferring or seconding to Davis's department.

Yes.

I won't go into too much detail but the whole thing has been a mess from pre-referendum. I was actually moved into a referendum role, told it was happening on the Friday and asked to start on the Monday. My team were pissed, understandably.

Post result similar things have been happening. Departments are losing some of their best people with relevant experience and at the same time are being asked to set up their own EU teams. There has also been some work around whether the CS actually has the people with the right skills to do this work...not sure where it got to but safe to say the answer is some version of 'no'.

There was an initial estimate into number required but that is well short. DEXEU and Trade are still recruiting in large numbers. Issues like accommodation are still unsettled also. Person I was talking to yesterday has 3 desks in 3 different buildings right now.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Jesus fucking Christ David Davis. "It's like threading a needle. If someone bumps your elbow it's harder. If 650 people do it it's even harder."

I wish this government would stop talking in whimsical fucking metaphors. It's not really helping the discussion when people think that we are literally playing a game of poker with the EU and not sitting down and attempting to negotiate an exit from our existing obligations and subsequently forming new trade and diplomatic agreements.

"We can't show our cards! We need to surprise them!" Yes you fucking can. We have nothing, absolutely nothing that we can surprise them with. Nothing that they won't have already second guessed and have a contingency for and a counterpoint to. It's not a game where we've all been dealt cards at random and we have to call their bluff. We know their cards already. They know our cards already. Because it's all written down in our membership. It's literally all there.

Gaaaah.

/end rant

Lagamorph

Watching the Supreme Court case on BBC News.

Jesus christ, the sheer level of paperwork scattered over those desks, the several feet high piles of reports on some of the lawyers desks.
How in the hell does anyone make any sense of this? We're getting talk of "Document M1216 Paragraph 76 Sub-Paragraph 4"

EmiPrime

Oliver Letwin brought up "multi-dimensional" chess. Also heard German cars brought up earlier along with the they need us more than we need them.

Memes for days at the HOC.

Watching the Supreme Court case on BBC News.

Jesus christ, the sheer level of paperwork scattered over those desks, the several feet high piles of reports on some of the lawyers desks.
How in the hell does anyone make any sense of this? We're getting talk of "Document M1216 Paragraph 76 Sub-Paragraph 4"

In a sense that's part of the problem. Stuff like this is incredibly complex, and so people generally try to avoid thinking about it unless absolutely necessary, even when its their job to do so. Add in the general trap of thinking a system works the way a person thinks it should, rather than how it actually does, and you get the mad dive into the paperwork that's going on now, as things are not at all as simple as 'Brexit means Brexit'.

jelly

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38243500

MPs have voted to back the government's plan to start formal talks on Brexit by the end of March next year.
They also supported a Labour motion calling for Parliament to "properly scrutinise" the government in its proposals for leaving the EU.

MPs backed Labour's motion, saying the government should publish a plan and it was "Parliament's responsibility to properly scrutinise the government" over Brexit, by 448 votes to 75 - a margin of 373.

The government's amendment was opposed by 23 Labour MPs and one Conservative - former chancellor Ken Clarke.
Five Liberal Democrat MPs, three Plaid Cymru MPs and 51 SNP MPs also voted against it

Chinner

Banned
Norman Lamb, Tom Brake, John Pugh and Greg Mulholland abstained.

Norman Lamb stated that he would abstain, as his constituency voted heavily in favour of 'leave'.

I assume the others are spineless, given that London, Leeds and Liverpool all voted to remain.

This is the worst part, I can understand MPs abstaining or voting if their constituency voted to leave, but those just followed the whip?

Just political survival at this point, let the next generation deal with the fallout.

Lagamorph

I'm getting more and more convinced that either various companies are certain that the UK is going to become a tax haven, or the government has secretly promised them that it will.
There just seems to be way too many "Company x commits to future in Britain" stories coming out lately with so much uncertainty going on.

Theonik

I'm getting more and more convinced that either various companies are certain that the UK is going to become a tax haven, or the government has secretly promised them that it will.
There just seems to be way too many "Company x commits to future in Britain" stories coming out lately with so much uncertainty going on.
These same companies are also privately or more visibly hedging their bets trying to benefit from May's cabinet being incompetent and the resulting tax breaks, and moving key operations to the continent in the long run.

Jackpot

Banned
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ote-blank-cheque-government-iain-duncan-smith

MPs' Brexit vote is blank cheque for government, says Iain Duncan Smith

This amendment was key, Duncan Smith told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme. “I think this was a historic vote,” he said. “I don’t use that lightly. This is without doubt the first time that the House of Commons has overwhelmingly vote for a completely new departure which is, essentially, leaving the European Union.”

“The last vote we had on this was about the referendum, and the power of the public to vote on this,” he said, agreeing that this amounted to a “blank cheque” on the issue for the prime minister from Labour.

Well done, dipshits.

And let's remember IDS is basically just giving himself relevance by doing interviews every five minutes because people go 'oh I've heard of him', not that he is particularly actually involved in anything now. He'll say over reactionary stuff because being a mouthpiece is all he's good for now.

EmiPrime

IDS hasn't been this excited and pleased with himself since he saw an increase in the rate of suicide among disabled people as a direct result of his policies.

The cunt.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
doesn't that vote completely fuck us over? The supreme court case is about requiring a commons vote before leaving - well it seems they just went and had one. Who'd have thought it'd be such a relatively one-sided vote?

fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom