• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lagamorph

Thing is, the talk of "the deal must be complete by October 2018" kind of makes me worry that Article 50 may already have been triggered in some people's eyes.

Xando

Thing is, the talk of "the deal must be complete by October 2018" kind of makes me worry that Article 50 may already have been triggered in some people's eyes.

If that would be so the deal would have to be done by summer 2018 at the latest because it still has to pass various parliaments

Tak3n

Banned
I thought it was interesting just how London centric the media is....when the Libdems took the pro remain by election in London the press were all over it as a 'brexit voter rejection' for a couple of days, even though they voted to remain by a large percentage in the referendum

Yet the Sleaford seat which was largely pro leave, barely got a mention as it went exactly to type by voting Tories back in comfortably.... no story here

Maledict

I thought it was interesting just how London centric the media is....when the Libdems took the pro remain by election in London the press were all over it as a 'brexit voter rejection' for a couple of days, even though they voted to remain by a large percentage in the referendum

Yet the Sleaford seat which was largely pro leave, barely got a mention as it went exactly to type by voting Tories back in comfortably.... no story here

Um, are you being deliberately dumb?

Overturning a massive, massive majority like the Lib Dems is a huge story, especially when its one of the most high profile tories in the country who loses.

Compare that to "Tories do exactly as expected as win election everyone knew they would win involving people no-one has ever heard of". Of course it gets less attention. The fact labour dropped to fourth was the biggest story (and reported on everywhere).

I thought one of the benefits of the referendum actually being over is that we would see less utterly ridiculous posts by leave supporters. Guess not.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
I appreciate the gesture, but it being part of Brexit negotiations is really a way to cause a lot of argument and division. It's a smart strategy.

But I'm not going to hold my breath, and instead just thankful I qualify for an Irish passport.

This. It's a way for EU negotiators to sow dissent in the British ranks and undermine May's position.
May and the Brexiteers keep taliking about their record-breaking 17 million vote mandate, so if lots of Brits are talking about wanting associate membership it shows the mandate to hard brexit is a lie.

Unlike our Department of Faceplanting out of the EU, I think the EU negotiators have a clue about the n-dimensional chess of international treaty negotiations.

Tak3n

Banned
We TOLD you that you absolute fucking tossers. You called it 'project fear'. I don't give a flying fuck at a donut that you're going to be worse off from this. I kind of relish it, to be honest. Enjoy your just desserts, and maybe consider not listening to the lies from the scumbags and shitrags that 'informed' your decision.

TBF it is a loaded question...I mean cmon, who would really ever answer they were happy to lose money

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
This. It's a way for EU negotiators to sow dissent in the British ranks and undermine May's position.
May and the Brexiteers keep taliking about their record-breaking 17 million vote mandate, so if lots of Brits are talking about wanting associate membership it shows the mandate to hard brexit is a lie.

Unlike our Department of Faceplanting out of the EU, I think the EU negotiators have a clue about the n-dimensional chess of international treaty negotiations.

I don't think it's purpose is to do with causing division at all, although that's a handy side effect.

Giving British people who are capable and willing the opportunity to work for and benefit the EU rather than the UK is in their best interest. The sneaky thing is that they've convinced people that this is a "benefit" they're providing as part of negotiations.

nekkid

TBF it is a loaded question...I mean cmon, who would really ever answer they were happy to lose money

Presumably the 5% who said they'd give £100pcm for muh sovrunty, and not to hear foreign accents on the bus.

Zaph

We TOLD you that you absolute fucking tossers. You called it 'project fear'. I don't give a flying fuck at a donut that you're going to be worse off from this. I kind of relish it, to be honest. Enjoy your just desserts, and maybe consider not listening to the lies from the scumbags and shitrags that 'informed' your decision.

British exceptionalism is a real problem. Many people (mostly Brexiters) think no matter what situation we're in we'll always come out ahead because.... history? What they forget is that it's a lot easier to be successful when the rest of the world is either on fire or a swamp. Modern Britain hasn't actually been put to the test in quite a long time.

Tak3n

Banned
Presumably the 5% who said they'd give £100pcm for muh sovrunty, and not to hear foreign accents on the bus.

it is a daft question...now if they had asked " If you knew that Brexit would make you at least £100 a month worst off, would you still of voted to leave" then you could learn something...

all they have done is ask an obvious question....

nekkid

it is a daft question...now if they had asked " If you knew that Brexit would make you at least £100 a month worst off, would you still of voted to leave" then you could learn something...

all they have done is ask an obvious question....

No. You would have a point if they were asked "would you be HAPPY to forego £100 a month after Brexit?" (the obvious answer being "no"), but they were asked "would you ACCEPT a Brexit that cost you £100 a month?" - suggesting they would give May the middle finger if Brexit meant they were worse off.

Kabouter

No. You would have a point if they were asked "would you be HAPPY to forego £100 a month after Brexit?" (the obvious answer being "no"), but they were asked "would you ACCEPT a Brexit that cost you £100 a month?" - suggesting they would give May the middle finger if Brexit meant they were worse off.

The way the question is phrased kind of suggests that there is a way to exit the EU without it doing lasting damage to the economy though. After all, people hear this question and think "Oh, May should just get a good deal instead of a shit one. I won't accept a shit one." instead of thinking "Oh, I need to ask myself if money or leaving the EU is more important to me"

nekkid

The way the question is phrased kind of suggests that there is a way to exit the EU without it doing lasting damage to the economy though. After all, people hear this question and think "Oh, May should just get a good deal instead of a shit one. I won't accept a shit one." instead of thinking "Oh, I need to ask myself if money or leaving the EU is more important to me"

Yeah that's true. Should be "would you accept Brexit if..." rather than "would you accept a Brexit that..."

I'm not blind to seeing the intentional manipulation of Open Britain in that, actually.

Nigel "anti-establishment" Farage moaning about how poor he is compared to his banker chums.

[Paywall]
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...lusive-interview-special-relationship-donald/

Cribbing quotes from around the net:

The EU pays him £85,000 a year.

On UKIP members:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/dec/09/nigel-farage-scathing-attack-ukip-low-grade-people

On Trump:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ar-taxpayer-funded-nigel-farage-a7466401.html

Has abominable views on women and minorities = represents the right things

'Man of the people'.

A total fraud, as we've always said and Kippers have always bleated to the contrary.

Beefy

Nigel "anti-establishment" Farage moaning about how poor he is compared to his banker chums.

[Paywall]
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...lusive-interview-special-relationship-donald/

Cribbing quotes from around the net:

The EU pays him £85,000 a year.

On UKIP members:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/dec/09/nigel-farage-scathing-attack-ukip-low-grade-people

On Trump:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ar-taxpayer-funded-nigel-farage-a7466401.html

Has abominable views on women and minorities = represents the right things

giphy.gif

Jezbollah

If only somebody would have warned them this would happen before the Referendum took place

Plenty did, but as you can imagine those people didnt do proper research into how they would use their vote and for what cause. People saying that "oh, we want Brexit but don't want it at a cost" clearly dont know what they fucking voted for besides "herp, derp, immigrants".

It's all coming out now, and people are being shown up as ignorant. What a surprise.

sammex

I'm doubtful anything would really happen, but the real story continues to be that leaving the EU is more complicated than most imagined and is going to need a whole lot of work.

Zaph

[BBC] A post-Brexit UK-EU trade deal might take 10 years to finalise and still fail, Britain's ambassador to the EU has privately told the government.

Attended a Commons Library Brexit discussion last month, and this 10 year figure was mentioned over drinks a few times, with utter dread (during the actual discussion they obviously had to remain neutral). Not to increase anyone's anxiety, but they were crystal clear about one obvious thing - it cannot be overstated just how unprepared the entire government is for Brexit.

What a gift to news teams. It's the perfect visual metaphor and will definitely be overused to an inch of its life, but damn if it's not worth it.

Meadows

Banned
I hate this kind of stuff to be fair. She isn't exactly a social butterfly, but we shouldn't mock her for that.

She's clearly a really awkward, kind of nerdy person, but that's cool. To laugh and highlight this stuff just doesn't feel right, especially when there's actual issues to be had with her governance.

cabot

I'm not looking at the gif and laughing at Theresa May

I'm shaking my head in despair at how adequate it is for representing Brexit.

sammex

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38324146 - a new Trade deal with the EU might take up to 10 years to make and still fail.

But I guess the media would rather focus on a few seconds of May looking a bit out of sorts at a meeting.

GET ON WITH IT, JUST LEAVE, THE EU WON'T EXIST IN 10 YEARS, etc

It's clear both stories, May continuing to be an awkward and rubbish PM, and probably taking 10 years to reach an EU trade deal are both masking the real story:

A popular brand of pink wafer is under threat after a company went into administration following a "sharp fall" in the value of sterling after Brexit.

This'll clearly be a game changer and shock awakening to many brexit voters who are partial to a good ol' british pink wafer and cup of tea, finally realising that leaving the EU doesn't mean they're getting their country back. I look forward to the impassioned discussion on this pressing issue in tonight's question time.

Jezbollah

GET ON WITH IT, JUST LEAVE, THE EU WON'T EXIST IN 10 YEARS, etc

It's clear both stories, May continuing to be an awkward and rubbish PM, and probably taking 10 years to reach an EU trade deal are both masking the real story:

A popular brand of pink wafer is under threat after a company went into administration following a "sharp fall" in the value of sterling after Brexit.

This'll clearly be a game changer and shock awakening to many brexit voters who are partial to a good ol' british pink wafer and cup of tea, finally realising that leaving the EU doesn't mean they're getting their country back. I look forward to the impassioned discussion on this pressing issue in tonight's question time.

Pink Wafers are only the start. Wait till Chocolate Digestives double in price.

I hate this kind of stuff to be fair. She isn't exactly a social butterfly, but we shouldn't mock her for that.

She's clearly a really awkward, kind of nerdy person, but that's cool. To laugh and highlight this stuff just doesn't feel right, especially when there's actual issues to be had with her governance.

Um, nothing about her so far suggests she's awkward or nerdy.

She was literally given the cold shoulder, she wasn't invited to the dinner which is something that's kinda of a big deal apparently. What we see here is the other EU members ignoring her while she thought she'd get some kind of back patting or handshaking as is standard at these kinds of meetings.

Sucks for her, but I guess all that rhetoric about using people as bargaining chips has upset a few people...

GamingKaiju

Um, nothing about her so far suggests she's awkward or nerdy.

She was literally given the cold shoulder, she wasn't invited to the dinner which is something that's kinda of a big deal apparently. What we see here is the other EU members ignoring her while she thought she'd get some kind of back patting or handshaking as is standard at these kinds of meetings.

Sucks for her, but I guess all that rhetoric about using people as bargaining chips has upset a few people...

The Dinner was for EU member heads of state not no Brits allowed.

oti

Banned

And you would know that because...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom