• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

gngf123

Not to sound like a snob, but in the defense of the media if you are taking your news from a publication where at the top it says "How a lazy bottom can wreck your health", you are likely not looking for deep, thorough and balanced analysis on news.

Yet, for hundreds of thousands of people in this country, rubbish like what the Mail prints is all they ever hear and they believe every bit of it.

Dacre/Murdoch controlled print press has done so much damage to this country.

pswii60

The Daily Mail watched an interview on Newsnight and then came up with that as their front page? Fuck them. The finance minister of France is not the leaders of 27 nations.

Anyway, I'm praying - and I'm not religious - that Ms May becomes our prime minister. She's stern, commands respect and is exactly what we need to be taken seriously in our negotiations with the EU. I wouldn't go out for a drink with her, but she's definitely PM material. The UK will be a laughing stock with Boris at the helm and Crabb isn't a leader.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If that French proposal is true the person behind it is a genius evil. It brings the narrative of banks vs. people in UK and it will push the banks in the City to go on with their relocation plans. And it won't pass in EU anyhow because of Germany and Eastern Europe, but the damage will be done by then.

PJV3

The Daily Mail watched an interview on Newsnight and then came up with that as their front page? Fuck them. The finance minister of France is not the leaders of 27 nations.

Anyway, I'm praying - and I'm not religious - that Ms May becomes our prime minister. She's stern, commands respect and is exactly what we need to be taken seriously in our negotiations with the EU. I wouldn't go out for a drink with her, but she's definitely PM material. The UK will be a laughing stock with Boris at the helm and Crabb isn't a leader.

It's tempting to go full Boris because I feel by the end of his term we would be a Republic.
Nobody on the international stage will tolerate his shit, Clinton would butcher the fuck.

Acorn

Choosing a suitable tory leader is like picking the nicest looking shit to me. Sure she doesn't have corn but she still stinks up the place.

Chittagong

Gold Member
If that French proposal is true the person behind it is a genius evil. It brings the narrative of banks vs. people in UK and it will push the banks in the City to go on with their relocation plans. And it won't pass in EU anyhow because of Germany and Eastern Europe, but the damage will be done by then.

Fuck me. The general public will buy that plan in an instant, less brown people AND fuck bankers, it's a double whammy. EU loses nothing of value, and gains City's banking sector.

Micael

Fuck me. The general public will buy that plan in an instant, less brown people AND fuck bankers, it's a double whammy. EU loses nothing of value, and gains City's banking sector.

The best thing of all, the EU doesn't even actually need to do that deal, as long as the UK invokes article 50, the EU can get the banking and give no leeway on migration, because really what's the alternative get an even worse deal?

Mii

Banned
They won't.

But Frankfurt and Paris sure like the look of that financial services sector. And the respective governments the £20+ billion in tax receipts it generates and the net trade balance of FS.

So who plans on investing in property in Paris and Frankfurt? Probably a good time to buy up New York too. Hope everyone is brushing up on their French and German.

Poor London didn't deserve this.

2MF

If you look at the news these days, it's more about party politics than the actual exit process and what happens next to the country and the EU. Disgusting.

Zaph

I can't stop thinking about that moment in PM Q's. When all's said and done, we're decades past this, and the inevitable film about Brexit is produced, what Cameron said to Corbyn is going to be a cornerstone of it. Our PM literally said to the leader of the opposition, wake up and save us from my mess.

It's already working lol.

If the French pull this off, the (usually) good natured rivalry and banter between our nations is over and we have lost. Straight lost. We will now and forever be the laughing stock who gleefully handed over a piece of our national security because some people thought we had a few too many immigrants.

Fortunately (in a overall unfortunate situation) both Theresa May and Boris Johnson know this and also know it guarantees them a place in the history books as one of the UK's worst leaders - a legacy that'll never be forgotten. However, if an insane moron like Crabb, or UKIP if there's a snap election, gain power, it becomes a very real concern.

Biggzy

I can't stop thinking about that moment in PM Q's. When all's said and done, we're decades past this, and the inevitable film about Brexit is produced, what Cameron said to Corbyn is going to be a cornerstone of it. Our PM literally said to the leader of the opposition, wake up and save us from my mess.

If the French pull this off, the (usually) good natured rivalry and banter between our nations is over and we have lost. Straight lost. We will now and forever be the laughing stock who gleefully handed over a piece of our national security because some people thought we had a few too many immigrants.

Fortunately (in a overall unfortunate situation) both Theresa May and Boris Johnson know this and also know it guarantees them a place in the history books as one of the UK's worst leaders - a legacy that'll never be forgotten. However, if an insane moron like Crabb, or UKIP if there's a snap election, gain power, it becomes a very real concern.

It was quite shocking to be honest and I hope it hammers home how much of a mess this country is in.

Breakage

You guys reckon the gov will kick back and watch the financial services industry leave London? Do you think such a move is inevitable?

Mii

Banned
You guys reckon the gov will kick back and watch the financial services industry leave London? Do you think such a move is inevitable?

It lets the politicians of the here and now look like winners. They get their immigration halts and get access to the single market, and they get to stick it to the rotten bankers.

Politicians later will actually feel the effects of the loss. But thats for 5 years down the road once the gap in tax receipts start to really hurt. Many will claim it couldn't have been known and others will claim plausible deniability of the ramifications.

It is evil genius by Paris. Amazingly well played.

"...The details can be worked out later on"

- the Leave campaign's strategy in a nutshell.

He doesn't even try to hide the fact the media, and therefore so much of the government, is entirely under his control, and yet people still lap it up.

Forget the EU, can we please get rid of the Australian running the country please.

Just want to clarify: Murdoch's an American, he gave up his Australian citizenship to extend his empire. And if it's any consolation his newspapers wreck Australian politics too.

Micael

Off topic FYI: You can strikethrough with "", not "".

Thanks fixed it.

Can someone tell me what's going on?

I feel some developments happened today but I can't really find much.

The most relevant thing I have seen today was this http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=208713046&postcount=1777 , although got to say watching house of commons and seeing a couple of MP's having no idea that the EU laws and so on were still in effect was great.

Breakage

It lets the politicians of the here and now look like winners. They get their immigration halts and get access to the single market, and they get to stick it to the rotten bankers.

Politicians later will actually feel the effects of the loss. But thats for 5 years down the road once the gap in tax receipts start to really hurt. Many will claim it couldn't have been known and others will claim plausible deniability of the ramifications.

It is evil genius by Paris. Amazingly well played.

If they get access to the single market won't the banks stay tho? Or have I got it wrong?

Biggzy

Just want to clarify: Murdoch's an American, he gave up his Australian citizenship to extend his empire. And if it's any consolation his newspapers wreck Australian politics too.

Murdoch is truly poison. It makes me laugh when you talk to conspiracy theorists in regards to the illuminate etc, while is people like him who control the world.

nickcv

Now what are the odds that because you won't get a deal that doesn't include full immigration control the masses will elect extreme right partied like ukip making it actually become the majority of the government?

As an Italian immigrant in UK the only thought really scares me

FStop7

Banned
I just realized that all of this touched off a week before the 100th anniversay of the Battle of the Somme.

The whole situation is such a disgrace to the memories of the soldiers who fought and died there as well as the innocents caught in the middle. European unity's crucial in avoiding a repeat of the past.

Mii

Banned
If they get access to single market, won't the banks stay tho? Or have I got it wrong?

Passporting is separate from the single market access. Passporting is what decides whether a bank in one place can do business in another.

Basically, Britain can sell goods to the EU, but it can't have banks that work in the EU.

From earlier in the thread:

EU to UK apparently: You get NOTHING
Well, not quite nothing, but:

@b_judah
Have been running around the City of London last few days. Here's an update.

Merkel and Brussels have outright already refused an EEA+ agreement that gives UK migration control, passporting and single market access.

What is passporting? All banks registered in UK have a "passport" that allows them to do business with whole EU. The City depends on it.

Base case is Berlin and Brussels plan to insist on an EEA- (i.e. a worse deal than Norway) that excludes passporting, migration controls.

This would however allow services to continue to have access to the singoe market. But not financial services. Mass migration continues.

This is formal offer. But Paris is planning a turn of cynical brilliance - that could at a stroke smite London and restore Paris to glory.

France cynicallly intends to offer Britain an EEA- that excludes passporting, but givs them a migration cap, and single market access.

This is a brilliant move: "you get less Poles, but we want your banks." It would be in France's interests to encourage UK out to get banks.

This would leave some stuff shirt like Crabb in a disastrous position: Paris and Berlin would have handed him a deal only "bad for bankers."

But the cynical French deal would be exactly the kind of cap migration, free movement for us and single market deal that the public want.

The next Tory muchkin leader would then be a hideous position: have his tax base slasshed at by loss of banks as his voters rejoice.

Paris and Frankfurt would emerge as enormous winners by ending passporting. Hugely boosting popularity of French and German leadership.

/British public will be left moronically clapping the huge triumph of a few less Poles and the punishment for "bankers" and tax base slashed.

//City analysts I met look with unbrindled distain on a Tory leadership class they think are simply muppets. No clue what's about to hit them.

EDIT: Oh lets throw on top of this that leaders in 4 years time will blame the collapse of London on Sadiq Khan. It will play into UKIP voters' views perfectly.

EmiPrime

Now what are the odds that because you won't get a deal that doesn't include full immigration control the masses will elect extreme right partied like ukip making it actually become the majority of the government?

No chance of them getting a majority but they will make massive gains, a couple dozen seats probably. UKIP's best case scenario is a coalition with the Tories but if Labour really implode the Tories won't need them to make a government.

Breakage

Passporting is separate from the single market access. Passporting is what decides whether a bank in one place can do business in another.

Basically, Britain can sell goods to the EU, but it can't have banks that work in the EU.

From earlier in the thread:

Thanks for the link. I didn't know that.
Everything post-Brexit is worse than what we had. It's incredible.
The rest of the world is laughing at the UK. What a mess.

EDIT: Oh lets throw on top of this that leaders in 4 years time will blame the collapse of London on Sadiq Khan. It will play into UKIP voters' views perfectly.
As a non-English person, the far-right gaining traction is something that worries me. I'm really starting to believe it's over for me in England. It's time to start looking elsewhere to build a future for myself.

Doopliss

Perhaps not UKIP per say, but it’s new (probably more right wing) replacement: http://www.theguardian.com/politics...lans-new-party-to-replace-ukip-without-farage
Fucking hell.
Banks has been credited with professionalising Ukip’s referendum push through the Leave.EU campaign. He deployed senior executives and staff from his insurance companies and hired the Washington DC political campaign strategy firm Goddard Gunster on a multimillion-pound fee to sharpen its message.

“It was taking an American-style media approach,” said Banks. “What they said early on was ‘facts don’t work’ and that’s it. The remain campaign featured fact, fact, fact, fact, fact. It just doesn’t work. You have got to connect with people emotionally. It’s the Trump success.”

nickcv

Thanks for the link. I didn't know that.
Everything post-Brexit is worse than what we had. It's incredible.
The rest of the world is laughing at the UK. What a mess.

As a non-English person, the far-right gaining traction is something that worries me. I'm really starting to believe it's over for me in England. It's time to start looking elsewhere to build a future for myself.

I'm with you brother!

I wonder if I should consider moving to Scotland or if it's safer to just go back to Europe... I definitely don't want to go back to Italy but I don't want to learn a third language either.

Maybe Ireland would be the best solution, but I'm not sure that is the best choice for a gay couple.

Any suggestion?

2MF

I have had the exact same fear ever since people started talking about the idea of "2nd referendums" and outright ignoring of the result.

I've said before that I'm more scared at this possibility than of Brexit itself. I can see anything including riots happening if politicians find a way to ignore the leave result.

Acorn

I'm with you brother!

I wonder if I should consider moving to Scotland or if it's safer to just go back to Europe... I definitely don't want to go back to Italy but I don't want to learn a third language either.

Maybe Ireland would be the best solution, but I'm not sure that is the best choice for a gay couple.

Any suggestion?
We'd welcome anyone into scotland. We need to up our population.

Tyaren

Can someone tell me what's going on?

I feel some developments happened today but I can't really find much.

Just people going crazy over a Daily Mail cover and what someone wrote on his Twitter. XD

Guys, there will be no compromise regarding free movement! It's a, probably THE, core principle of the EU. If UK gets it, others will want it too. The whole EU project goes bust.
That evil French plan is bollocks too because Germany will certainly not let them do as they please snatching all banks up for Paris. Also everyone (with a bit of brain) will see through it. XD

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Fucking hell.

Banks has been credited with professionalising Ukip’s referendum push through the Leave.EU campaign. He deployed senior executives and staff from his insurance companies and hired the Washington DC political campaign strategy firm Goddard Gunster on a multimillion-pound fee to sharpen its message.

“It was taking an American-style media approach,” said Banks. “What they said early on was ‘facts don’t work’ and that’s it. The remain campaign featured fact, fact, fact, fact, fact. It just doesn’t work. You have got to connect with people emotionally. It’s the Trump success.”

How do these people sleep at night?

Nilaul

Conclusion: No matter the outcome UK financial sector is FUCKED and bye bye to banks. London collapses. Banks abandon England.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom