• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meadows

Banned
Hilariously - next PM odds:

May (favourite) - 23/20
BoJo - 3/1
Eagle - 4/1
Crabb - 20/1
Fox - 20/1
Jarvis - 25/1
William Hague - 31/1
Tim Farron - 51/1
Jeremy Corbyn - 70/1

"My Mum voted Leave because she's fed up with not seeing the same GP each time she visits her surgery" *twitches*

On the off chance that's serious (who am I kidding, probably is) what the royal fuck!? I've seen my ACTUAL GP twice in about 10 years and seen an assortment of other people the rest of the time. Never thought to blame it on Europe >_>

Hasney

Random conspiracy theory because I can't believe the bromance is over, but could Boris and Gove be trying to split their MP votes to not go through to the membership vote? Then have a real Boris leadership challenge in 4 years. I still swear they don't want it, but would look stupid if they didn't go for it.

Tommy DJ

They do?? What is it? I've geniunely never heard of this.

Oil and other natural resources. Like what they've been doing in Africa and South America. Not that different from other world powers.

The deal with Iceland was pretty much a way for them to get in the game. They have a FTA with Iceland but that doesn't mean China actually wants to buy their fish.

Mr. Sam

Random conspiracy theory because I can't believe the bromance is over, but could Boris and Gove be trying to split their MP votes to not go through to the membership vote? Then have a real Boris leadership challenge in 4 years. I still swear they don't want it, but would look stupid if they didn't go for it.

I think that's their personal fucking motto.

Michael Gove just 12 days ago:

CmL3Lm0WMAAEQ8T.jpg:large

I imagine their plan was:

Remain wins -> Next PM with increased political capital from Leave support base

Leave wins -> Cameron triggers article 50, things go to hell , Cameron gets the blame, take over get credit for recovery to above hell but below initial position.

Cameron screwed them on that by not going Article 50 immediately like he said.

cormack12

Gold Member
"My Mum voted Leave because she's fed up with not seeing the same GP each time she visits her surgery" *twitches*

While your sentiment is right - as you get older, your history is more important to any ailments you might have, so for continuity it's better that you stick with your GP who already knows these things. Also, the older generation build up trust in certain people and value that relationship. She's probably fed up off reeling of her medical history each time she goes.

For the likes of you and I, it's probably not important - we only go to the doctor for specific reasons and know what we want/need. We just want an appointment so we don't care who we see or how.

However, it obviously has nothing to do with Europe - GP's are as much in the frying pan as other health services under these Tory policies. As the days go by I'm getting less angry at those who voted 'Leave' (well, those willing to reconsider at least). I'm getting more and more angry at the media and the fact that they basically misled half the country. You know, when you see that pensioner in tears because he thinks 'we've taken our country back, and we can become an economic powerhouse again - by harnessing our legacy wartime spirit'. It just makes me sick.

Hasney

I imagine their plan was:

Remain wins -> Next PM with increased political capital from Leave support base

Leave wins -> Cameron triggers article 50, things go to hell , Cameron gets the blame, take over get credit for recovery to above hell but below initial position.

Cameron screwed them on that by not going Article 50 immediately like he said.

Pretty much. That's why people were saying Cameron played a "great political game" by quitting, but fuck that, they're playing games in which we all get fucked over.

Oil and gas.

Oil and other natural resources. Like what they've been doing in Africa and South America. Not that different from other world powers.

The deal with Iceland was pretty much a way for them to get in the game. They have a FTA with Iceland but that doesn't mean China actually wants to buy their fish.

Everyone wants it for the oil supply.

Ah. cheers everyone. Makes sense.

Lol.

I'm going with Boris and Gove sabotaging themselves because they don't want it and hope to get out of this mess.

Wouldn't be a surprise really, let someone else take the shit which is incoming. Utter farce between this lot and Labour, these are the folk leading our country prior to a really damaging recession which is now incoming... We are fucked.

While your sentiment is right - as you get older, your history is more important to any ailments you might have, so for continuity it's better that you stick with your GP who already knows these things. Also, the older generation build up trust in certain people and value that relationship. She's probably fed up of reeling of her medical history each time she goes.

For the likes of you and I, it's probably not important - we only go to the doctor for specific reasons and know what we want/need. We just want an appointment so we don't care who we see or how.

However, it obviously has nothing to do with Europe - GP's are as much in the frying pan as other health services under these Tory policies. As the days go by I'm getting less angry at those who voted 'Leave' (well, those willing to reconsider at least). I'm getting more and more angry at the media and the fact that they basically misled half the country.

Oh yeah, fair point. I'm still miffed at people who Voted Leave depending on why (maybe I don't read enough newspapers but I feel like anyone who wasn't "educated" about pros/cons only has them self to blame in the 21st Century) but the media is abhorrent at times.

Also I'm not sure if anyone knows the answer and this may sound like a dumb question but out of the 70% or so turnout in the referendum...is that 70% based on the eligible voting public? I'd imagine so because what was it, like 17mil Leave and about 15.5 Remain? Seems quite a low total of 32mil or so for 70% of eligible voting public but i'm probably looking at it the wrong way.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Hilariously - next PM odds:

May (favourite) - 23/20
BoJo - 3/1
Eagle - 4/1
Crabb - 20/1
Fox - 20/1
Jarvis - 25/1
William Hague - 31/1
Tim Farron - 51/1
Jeremy Corbyn - 70/1

I guess you are going for the "better an efficient sociopath than an incompetent fool" angle.

Hasney

Always good to remember these were actual friends of Cameron, really close friends, godfather of Cameron's deceased kid close... This is just so sad of them.

And they probably will be friends again after politics. Probably meet up for some cognac and laughing about how they were just trying to win a game. Jolly good fun!

Fully expecting Gove to just say "banter" in 20 minutes and withdraw.

"I'm running on a policy of "chat shit get banged" and I think you'll all find that's what this country needs".

cormack12

Gold Member
Also I'm not sure if anyone knows the answer and this may sound like a dumb question but out of the 70% or so turnout in the referendum...is that 70% based on the eligible voting public? I'd imagine so because what was it, like 17mil Leave and about 15.5 Remain? Seems quite a low total of 32mil or so for 70% of eligible voting public but i'm probably looking at it the wrong way.

Yeah, I think it was 47 million eligible to vote and 33 million did (numbers rounded ot best of memory. Total population is like 61million I think?

Someone has edited that Hitler Downfall video. Just watched it,made me smile a bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a6HNXtdvVQ

Maledict

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/748435615163756544

There's now mutterings, and I don't buy it personally, that Boris might pull his launch. Gove only told him 5 minutes before announcing, haha.

Well maybe Boris shouldn't have been so fucking greedy to fall for it in the first place and take us out of Europe. Now the Mail and Sun will back Gove, he'll probably win, and we actually will activate article 50. Wonderful.

Mr. Sam

"I'm running on a policy of "chat shit get banged" and I think you'll all find that's what this country needs".

"Michael Gove, today, his Conservative government having won all Parliamentary seats, even those in Scotland, with a 95% of the vote; the 5% being attributed to bitter Arsenal fans."

Meadows

Banned
Watching May speak now - this woman will clearly get us a better deal than anyone else, this is done.

Fuck off Gove and Boris.

Tak3n

Banned
Theresa May

We will leave the European Union

Brexit means Brexit...NO attempts to stay in, NO second referendum... NO General Election....NO back door to the EU

Budget Surplus requirements will extend over 2020

Article 50 will be announced when we are ready....

Process of negotiation is going to take several years, will be lead by secretary of state and that person must be from the leave campaign

NO free movement of people! will be accepted...Holy fuck, she is ruthless......No wriggling out of the promise on free movement

The Sky will not fall in

Ah but this is a Tory leadership contest, where no-one understands the rules, and nobody actually knows who'll win because of that. This could be an exception and May walks it, but who bloody knows with there.

besada

Banned
NO free movement of people! will be accepted...Holy fuck, she is ruthless......No wriggling out of the promise on free movement

The Sky will not fall in

No, she just won't get what she wants and you guys will have another politician to be angry at instead of yourselves.

jelly

Theresa May

We will leave the European Union

Brexit means Brexit...NO attempts to stay in, NO second referendum... NO General Election....NO back door to the EU

Budget Surplus requirements will extend over 2020

Article 50 will be announced when we are ready....

Process of negotiation is going to take several years, will be lead by secretary of state and that person must be from the leave campaign

The Sky will not fall in

So we are fucked then. Good luck getting an EU free market deal.

Maledict

We are actually going to sacrifice the city in return for having less Polish plumbers. I never thought a conservative government would do this.

How the hell can we afford *anything* without London?

accel

No, she just won't get what she wants and you guys will have another politician to be angry at instead of yourselves.

I know there have been reports that freedom of movement is non-negotiable for the EU, but there have been other reports as well suggesting that it is:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics...he-table-in-brexit-talks-says-french-minister

"When we negotiate with a country, a third party, Norway, Switzerland, to take countries that are very close, we discuss all subjects: under what conditions there is freedom of movement of people; freedom of movement of goods; of capital. That is something that is very important for the UK, with all the questions about financial services. So we discuss everything."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom