• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tak3n

Banned
In the last hour BoJo has gone from 1/1 to 5/1 in the odds. In an hour. Fucking hell this is mental.

Also May is now 1/1.

Because I am sitting here listening to her and thinking.....Holy fuck!

This woman just told it like it is, no messing around, no halfway house.

Here are her points again for new page, incase anyone missed it

Theresa May

We will leave the European Union

Brexit means Brexit...NO attempts to stay in, NO second referendum... NO General Election....NO back door to the EU

Budget Surplus requirements will extend over 2020

Article 50 will be announced when we are ready....

Process of negotiation is going to take several years, will be lead by secretary of state and that person must be from the leave campaign

NO free movement of people! will be accepted.......No wriggling out of the promise on free movement

The Sky will not fall in

Maledict

No she didn't! Telling you what you want to hear which is impossible is not telling it as it is!!!

Xando

I know there have been reports that freedom of movement is non-negotiable for the EU, but there have been other reports as well suggesting that it is:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics...he-table-in-brexit-talks-says-french-minister

"When we negotiate with a country, a third party, Norway, Switzerland, to take countries that are very close, we discuss all subjects: under what conditions there is freedom of movement of people; freedom of movement of goods; of capital. That is something that is very important for the UK, with all the questions about financial services. So we discuss everything."
The french can say what they want. Eastern european countries will veto any deal without freedom of movement

So May's firm that they'll be no free movement - that limits what EEA style deals we can do, right? And then interesting to see how Tory donors and the financial sector react to that I guess.

But then again she has always seemed like she'd be happy running a totalitarian state so she'll give no shits about what they think.

Theresa May

Brexit means Brexit...NO attempts to stay in, NO second referendum... NO General Election....NO back door to the EU

Process of negotiation is going to take several years, will be lead by secretary of state and that person must be from the leave campaign

NO free movement of people! will be accepted...Holy fuck, she is ruthless......No wriggling out of the promise on free movement

The Sky will not fall in

I dont think Theresa May has a GAF account and Brexit does not mean you must leave the EU it just shows what the population wants.

Tak3n

Banned
No she didn't! Telling you what you want to hear which is impossible is not telling it as it is!!!

Not getting into please, as I have been warned from a mod to stop posting stuff that riles people up....

I just posted what she said, I will leave the discussion on her merits to others, if that is ok

Hasney

No, she's just very good at articulating what people want to hear. No Article 50 until the end of the year means we don't need an emergency budget.

If she wants no free movement, then we lose the banking passport or single market access. Simple as. It's not a good message.

Mr. Sam

We are actually going to sacrifice the city in return for having less Polish plumbers. I never thought a conservative government would do this.

How the hell can we afford *anything* without London?

All I see from here is a steep downward spiral for the country over the next few decades, on which we'll look back as our national suicide.

liquidtmd

Banned
NO free movement of people! will be accepted...Holy fuck, she is ruthless......No wriggling out of the promise on free movement

The Sky will not fall in

Its nice to want things.

She's telling it how she would like it. Not gonna happen.

London will burn in the meantime.

norinrad

Welcome to the UK, this woman is about to tell Nicola to sit down and listen. Nicola better put on a Union Jack instead of that blue dress she had on in Brussels lol.

May currently looks and sounds more ruthless than Thatcher, everyone sit down for de ride.

No, she's just very good at articulating what people want to hear. No Article 50 until the end of the year means we don't need an emergency budget.

If she wants no free movement, then we lose the banking passport or single market access. Simple as. It's not a good message.
There's actually no guarantee of the banking passport even with access to the single market under an EEA type agreement, I believe.

Joni

She is basically saying there won't be a trade agreement.

There's actually no guarantee of the banking passport even with access to the single market under an EEA type agreement, I believe.

Frankfurt and Paris already were complaining when it was in the EU outside of the Eurozone.

jelly

If she is favourite and Boris or Hove don't have anything different, the markets might not react too well.

No, she just won't get what she wants and you guys will have another politician to be angry at instead of yourselves.

Basically. Anyone expecting what she's calling for to come true, at least without massive crippling concessions, is delusional. She's saying what her prospective supporters want to hear, regardless of how realistic it is. Basically, politics continues just as it did in the run-up to the referendum.

Tak3n

Banned
She just said to a question on free movement

We must do something on free movement, that is the wishes of the people.....the last time Boris dealt with europe he came back with a water cannon

liquidtmd

Banned

Correct.

And France is just begging us to invoke Article 50. Once done, they will unleash an absolute barrage of attacks to make sure that banking passport is gone, by incentivising us to drop it or by hostile means.

Mr. Sam

Good to see everybody coming round to the most thoroughly unpleasant and least pragmatic candidate for Conservative Party leader, and that's saying something.

Meguro

Banned
Am I supposed to be impressed by this, May?
You're talking dreams and rainbows but you'll never ever be able to deliver even half of what you promise.
This is complete and utter nonsense.

Hasney

Yup, totally right. Just what France have proposed so they can take that a big part of that pie because we're so petrified of immigration at any cost.

Bold One

The 4 Freedoms are non-negotiable, and I dont think the EU would or should kowtow to a nation of trouble-makers who take their ball and go home at the slightest provocation.

Theresa May

The Sky will not fall in

Say goodbye to the Single Market then.

Hilariously - next PM odds:

May (favourite) - 23/20
BoJo - 3/1
Eagle - 4/1
Crabb - 20/1
Fox - 20/1
Jarvis - 25/1
William Hague - 31/1
Tim Farron - 51/1
Jeremy Corbyn - 70/1

Isn't it impossible the next PM being non-Tory? If a bookmakers offering them odds I wouldn't take them up on it.

Correct.

And France is just begging us to invoke Article 50. Once done, they will unleash an absolute barrage of attacks to make sure that banking passport is gone, by incentivising us to drop it or by hostile means.

I can't see a way in which the passport is not gone and although this is going to mess up my life, drive a huge deflation in the wage I can command, devalue my house and make it harder and harder to find work I'm kind of over worrying about it now.

It is what it is, i'll knuckle down and do whatever I can to keep my families head above water. No point crying over spilt milk.

Corto

Does it work like that?

No. The deal is concluded on behalf of the EU by the Council. And decided by a qualified majority vote. That means more than 55% of member states representatives vote for the deal (at least 15 of the 27) and the winning vote must be supported by members of countries that represent at least 65% of the EU population. It's a double majority rule.

Tak3n

Banned
No silver bullet on migration, look at how to bring controls in, migration will not magically stop...I can not simply pull a lever to stop it, we will have to keep trying things to see how they work

I will not offer jobs to any individuals, There is no red line, we dont want to give away our hands

Best deal is controls on free movement with the best trade possible, especially services

Hasney

6L1tkhf.png

Lol, if Britain actually falls for France's ploy to grab London City's financial district I'm going to be laughing so hard.

This May character sounds like she might actually go for it.

Maledict

If Labour could chose a credible leader right now they would win a general election handily. Gods I never thought I'd say it but I miss Blair. The city would pour so much cash into them.

Isn't it impossible the next PM being non-Tory? If a bookmakers offering them odds I wouldn't take them up on it.

If a Tory candidate is selected to lead the party but Cameron is the one to call a GE after that's done, before he steps down, the next PM could be Labor. Not impossible but pretty unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom