• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

No.

She opened by talking about social injustice and that poor people basically have no chance of achieving anything in this country.

Not Thatcher-like at all.

Exactly

6L1tkhf.png

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that once the new Tory leader is selected he has to stand down immediately? I'm certain its not a requirement that the Prime Minster is the leader of the party that commands the majority in the commons (doesn't have to be an MP, Lords have been PM before, doesn't have to be the largest party - it's the commons majority bit thats important), but it is a long held convention that would make his position even more untenable than it already is if he doesn't step aside immediately.

When he steps aside the newly elected Tory leader will be invited by the Queen to form the new government.

I don't see any option here for Cameron to try getting Commons support for an early election. Hell, he'd need the support of is own part who just elected a replacement PM.

Politics is so weird right now that he could be making his final speech to the Commons and then right at the end "Oh, and <next Tory leader>, there's a general election and it starts.... RIGHT NOW" as he drops the mic, dubstep music starts blaring and confetti rains from the roof.

liquidtmd

Banned
Boris: 'Golly gosh. Bit of a hoo-ha this week. Some stuff I said was bollocks. Don't think this leadership lark is for me. Good luck to those guys but fuck this noise'

Probably

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that once the new Tory leader is selected he has to stand down immediately? I'm certain its not a requirement that the Prime Minster is the leader of the party that commands the majority in the commons (doesn't have to be an MP, Lords have been PM before, doesn't have to be the largest party - it's the commons majority bit thats important), but it is a long held convention that would make his position even more untenable than it already is if he doesn't step aside immediately.

When he steps aside the newly elected Tory leader will be invited by the Queen to form the new government.

I don't see any option here for Cameron to try getting Commons support for an early election. Hell, he'd need the support of is own part who just elected a replacement PM.

I don't mean he performs a coup. I mean the next leader effectively asks him to do the formal setup of an election before they become the official candidate (eg to avoid a no confidence in themselves). Its not likely I'm just proposing methods by which the next PM isn't definitely Tory.

Hasney

I think Gove will be appointed as Minister for Brexit.

Well at least we wouldn't have to worry about him taking expert advice on the situation....

Foreign GAF asking: When should we expect a proper announcement regarding Tory leadership?

I don't think they've set a date yet, but MPs vote to get the candidates down to two, then the general membership votes on the final winner. In other words, a little while yet.

Tak3n

Banned
They'll never fucking decide that one, will they

Trying to find a article I read about his, but in Summary it was basically Gatwick were willing for a Boris win, as he has said it wont be Heathrow, and if it can not be Boris Island then Gatwick should win

PJV3

If Boris becomes PM then he'd immediately cancel the project and start building 'Boris Island'. It doesn't make any sense to proceed at the moment.

Boris island at this time would be like building sandcastles in the sea.

Maledict

The Heathrow expansion is entirely predicated on continually increasing GDP, London's place as the worlds finance capital and London as a tourist hub. All three of those things look shakey right now.

See, Brexit has solved another problem for us!

Maybe Boris won't even stand.

I've been predicting this all week.

My support for May was solely along the lines of she was pro-Remain and would hopeful call an early election. Not seen her speech but if what you guys are saying is right then she is the real nightmare candidate. And Gove wouldn't be much better (isn't he supposed to be truly pro-Leave?).

So whose left?

I'm actually sitting here wanting BoJo to run and win, despite earlier predictions, in the vein hope he finds away to worm out of his pro-Leave campaigning...

Biggzy

Has anyone mentioned the UK's terrible current account deficit and how we are totally relient on inward investment because of it? If that starts to decrease then we are really up shit creek.

Has anyone mentioned the UK's terrible current account deficit and how we are totally relient on inward investment because of it? If that starts to decrease then we are really up shit creek.

Yeah probably the reason all the financial institutions are cutting UK growth for 2017 financial year from plus 2% to minus 1% and I think they were hinting that's the best case scenario.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The Heathrow expansion is entirely predicated on continually increasing GDP, London's place as the worlds finance capital and London as a tourist hub. All three of those things look Shapley right now.

See, Brexit has solved another problem for us!

This reminds me that I absolutely hate having to travel from Heathrow to the City for work (even if that only happens three or four times per year). Given that I'm mostly flown by companies that have their European HQ there, Brexit may put an end to that miserable commute.

On the con side, chances are that I'll have to deal with Charles de Gaulle and Berlin's airport instead. Which... fuck.

Boris must be raging, he had the world (country) in his hands this time last week

giphy.gif

And now dead in the water before he gets to launch his campaign

Can someone shop Goves head onto the german player pls or switch Gove to Boris etc

eJU97Sl.gif

mrklaw

MrArseFace
As right wing and xenophobic as some in the Tory party might be, I wouldn't have have figured them for a party willing to literally fuck over the economy over it. I would have expected them to be free market/free trade/capitalism above all.

This is.. I have no words that aren't literally bile right now.

Mr. Sam

On the con side, chances are that I'll have to deal with Charles de Gaulle and Berlin's airport instead. Which... fuck.

I'm going to Berlin next month - and preparing to say "Es ist nicht mein schuld" a lot - and I'll be going to the main airport (Tegel, I think?). What's wrong with it?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
No. The deal is concluded on behalf of the EU by the Council. And decided by a qualified majority vote. That means more than 55% of member states representatives vote for the deal (at least 15 of the 27) and the winning vote must be supported by members of countries that represent at least 65% of the EU population. It's a double majority rule.

even the fucking deal we negotiate with europe needs a higher majority than voted to leave!

As right wing and xenophobic as some in the Tory party might be, I would have have figured them for a party willing to literally fuck over the economy over it. I would have expected them to be free market/free trade/capitalism above all.

Yeah they have pretty much pissed off a lot of their financial supporter's, they will be hoping Labour sort themselves out so they can get behind them.

jelly

As right wing and xenophobic as some in the Tory party might be, I would have have figured them for a party willing to literally fuck over the economy over it. I would have expected them to be free market/free trade/capitalism above all.

Time will tell, they'll say anything to win, what they do and get is another matter. It's either going to be a very clever strategy or an absolute disaster that is frightening to think about.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't think they've set a date yet, but MPs vote to get the candidates down to two, then the general membership votes on the final winner. In other words, a little while yet.

who will vote for rock, and who will vote for hard place?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm going to Berlin next month - and preparing to say "Es ist nicht mein schuld" a lot - and I'll be going to the main airport (Tegel, I think?). What's wrong with it?

People seem to hate Tegel, but I'm mostly unbothered by it. It's the commute what rustles my jimmies. It takes forever for me.

theaface

If Gove does become the new PM, can we have this, please?

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OT3| Brexmas time, Michael Gove and Vine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom