• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mean he performs a coup. I mean the next leader effectively asks him to do the formal setup of an election before they become the official candidate (eg to avoid a no confidence in themselves). Its not likely I'm just proposing methods by which the next PM isn't definitely Tory.

That's not possible.

There'll be 2 candidates up to the moment that the winner is announced and then Cameron will be on front of the Queen in a matter of hours.

There is one way, and will show a lot of bulls and flick you to the Tory party from Cameron...

He doesn't actually have to stand down as PM. He can do a Corbyn. He won't command a majority in the Commons which will force a vote of no confidence that would then trigger a general election.

Walshicus

Anyone know much about the Greenland/Denmark model? I mean they're both the same state but Denmark is in the EU but Greenland isn't...

Hasney

If Gove does become the new PM, can we have this, please?

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OT3| Brexmas time, Michael Gove and Vine

I'd usually reject anything involving Cliff Richard, but goddamn.

But the speed of this thread, we'll probably be up to OT30 by September.

I get a terrible vibe from May...Something really akin to V for Vendetta.
I've got a copy of May's Tory party manifesto right here...

1984_by_alcook-d4z39dh.jpg

Zaph

If May gets in, as much as I dislike her politics, it's probably the best for the Tory party and the country right now. But holy shit if it doesn't confirm the glass cliff phenomenon - she'll be the one to tell the country Leave was a lie and we either accept 4F's or welcome economic ruin.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Pretty transparent how Theresa May is playing this.

She knows the big sticking point to the general population is free movement (= brown people). So she'll say that 'there will be no free movement, everything else be damned'. That inevitably means no EEA, no banking passport. Markets will go to shit again for the next few quarters, property market will remain dead, people will postpone investments, and just so general public will say that 'hey, maybe free movement is a lesser evil than this'. And just like that, Britain retains the status quo - and whether it's staying in EU or doing a Norway deal.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Nothing can beat that shitty Charles de Gaulle commute though. It should be reason enough to not want Paris to get anything out of this.

I hate traveling to Paris for that reason alone. I'm so accustomed to the utter ease of MAD and BCN that CDG is simply enraging.

Another reason for me to ape on Brexit.

Izuna

Banned
I hate May and her policies, but she doesn't lie about where she stands. Hmm... I'm not as adverse to her as PM as others.

Meadows

Banned
May's immigration policies are awful.

But.

She was asked to do anything possible to fulfil their 100,000 or less pledge, and as she couldn't prevent EU migration had to be incredibly punitive to non-EU nationals, such as my missus, who was forced to go through all sorts of shit to get indefinite leave to remain.

However, I don't think she wanted to do that, it's just the only portion of the immigration she could have any control over.

liquidtmd

Banned
I hate May and her policies, but she doesn't lie about where she stands. Hmm... I'm not as adverse to her as PM as others.

But she's arguing for something that she knows damn well we either won't get or will destroy the country in the process.

I'm all for teaching the general 52% a lesson, but I'm in the 48% - i want to survive

Audioboxer

So much for kicking the establishment if May gets it. Isn't she another Oxford Union elite?

Tories gonna Tories. No change ahead.

May's immigration policies are awful.

But.

She was asked to do anything possible to fulfil their 100,000 or less pledge, and as she couldn't prevent EU migration had to be incredibly punitive to non-EU nationals, such as my missus, who was forced to go through all sorts of shit to get indefinite leave to remain.

However, I don't think she wanted to do that, it's just the only portion of the immigration she could have any control over.
Also, she does seem to be socially liberal in arguing loudly that the Met police is institutionally racist and supports gay marriage.

However, I do really worry about her authoritarian tendencies. I think she will be more like Blair and his 90 days without charge laws he tried to push through.

accel

Anyone know much about the Greenland/Denmark model? I mean they're both the same state but Denmark is in the EU but Greenland isn't...

Greenland has access to the EU market, but it retains some freedoms other EU states don't, ie, Greenland has some degree of control over customs. The problem with interpolating Greenland to Brexit (if you are looking in this direction) is that Greenland is a tiny territory with miniscule economy that is all about fishing - arguing for the same terms as Greenland is perhaps a no go (not that these terms would be fine).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
are there any tweaks you could possibly do to the 4 freedoms to appear to appease the leave camp while still be acceptable to the wider EU?

Walshicus

Greenland has access to the EU market, but it retains some freedoms other EU states don't, ie, Greenland has some degree of control over customs. The problem with interpolating Greenland to Brexit (if you are looking in this direction) is that Greenland is a tiny country with miniscule economy that is all about fishing - arguing for the same terms as Greenland is perhaps a no go (not that these terms would be fine).

I was just thinking that maybe a reverse Greenland could be on the cards. England being Greenland, Scotland being Denmark. Just a thought, there's precedent of one state - Kingdom of Denmark - being part in and part out.

Meadows

Banned
I think we should stop saying the X model is a possibility.

The UK is not like Norway, Iceland, Lichtenstein, Greenland or Albania.

I'm not saying that in a we're the best country in the world, rule Britannia way, but for goodness sake, we're the 5/6th largest economy in the world, a nuclear power, a perm member of the UN security council and a leading member of NATO.

There is no precedent for this, whatever happens will not look like what has happened to any other country that has dealt with the EU.

accel

I was just thinking that maybe a reverse Greenland could be on the cards. England being Greenland, Scotland being Denmark. Just a thought, there's precedent of one state - Kingdom of Denmark - being part in and part out.

Yeah, that's possible, why not. I guess the dust would have to settle first though (ie, a referendum 3-4 years from now).

accel

are there any tweaks you could possibly do to the 4 freedoms to appear to appease the leave camp while still be acceptable to the wider EU?

Well, taking one freedom out (movement of people) is going to be fine for Leave. How acceptable that is to the EU is something that will become clearer over the two years the UK got.

Something like this is basically what the Swiss government has been trying to come up with since that idiotic vote on restricting immigration two years ago. Short version: No tangible results and they're just clutching at straws with all of the proposals and ideas they've come up with so far. Expect similar fuckery from the UK government in the months to come.

I'm going to Berlin next month - and preparing to say "Es ist nicht mein schuld" a lot - and I'll be going to the main airport (Tegel, I think?). What's wrong with it?

You don't need to say that, as most germans are probably happy the UK finally leaves the EU.

After all these years of the UK vetoing stuff it means us and other europeans can finally like you again for being Brits and your wonderful culture..

oti

Banned
You don't need to say that, as most germans are probably happy the UK finally leaves the EU.

After all these years of the UK vetoing stuff it means us and other europeans can finally like you again for being Brits and your wonderful culture..

I don't know. The first few days everyone was in utter shock and just sad. As the clusterfuck went on I feel like most are ready to move on already though.

AzureSky

She has advocated a British version of the Stazi, except with more powers.

you guys still have nukes?
today it's immigrants, tomorrow you want europe to be british.

not serious of course (not entirely anyway), but this is not going the way i would like to see.

Hasney

From BBC:

Conservative MP Nigel Evans says he will still back Boris Johnson as Conservative leader despite the contest being widened by Michael Gove.

Mr Evans says the justice secretary's decision to enter the race may have been caused by him asking Mr Johnson for a position in his cabinet and not receiving one.

Hm, maybe Boris threw the first punch?

Also, Nicky Morgan is not standing, but she's backing Gove.

Oh, and:

Conservative MP Nigel Evans, a supporter of Boris Johnson, agrees with the assessment that the former London mayor had been stabbed in the front and the back by Theresa May and Michael Gove.

"It makes the House of Cards look like Teletubbies," he tells the BBC.

He says he believes Mrs May will top the poll in the first round, and it "looks a bit messy" on the Leave side.

"I'm a bit disappointed that Michael Gove has made this eleventh hour decision to stab Boris in the front," he adds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom