• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saya

Welp:

Cecilia Malmström (@MalmstromEU) is the EU Trade Commissioner in charge of EU Trade policy.

The article 50 period wouldn't be used to negotiate deals, just allow us to have the most orderly exit possible. Fortunately no PM would ever be stupid enough to actually invoke Article 50.

So the UK would have to wait two years to even begin trade negotiations?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Welp:

Cecilia Malmström (@MalmstromEU) is the EU Trade Commissioner in charge of EU Trade policy.

The article 50 period wouldn't be used to negotiate deals, just allow us to have the most orderly exit possible. Fortunately no PM would ever be stupid enough to actually invoke Article 50.

Well, it does make sense. The two years for exit is for that, to settle all the things related to exit. UK is still in EU until the deadline, so a formal negotiation for a trade agreement can't happen because of the obvious conflict of interests.

Daemul

Welp:

enditq7ftw.jpg

Olliewilldie

Neo Member
After the last few days I'd love to emmigrate anywhere really but I am a 33 year old with no useful transferable skills! Woe is me. I'd probably get less than 1 point on any points based test.

Stuck in London I guess.

BahamutPT

So the UK would have to wait two years to even begin trade negotiations?

Not necessarily, but new trade deals aren't required to be agreed upon during that period. It can happen if both sides are willing to do it in agreement, but the UK may end up exiting without a new deal already in place.

MrHoot

I'm willing to be annexed by France at this point, I'm surrounded by lunatics.

You can maybe do like Sardaigna and try to have a referendum to become part of Switzerland. We'd love to expand so we can have access to the sea ! And get a fifth language in the mix

Plus brexiters seem to have such a hard-on for our politics while not understanding them so they'd be pleased as well

I'll be sad to see Corbyn go. He never got a chance for one second of his time as Leader.

Unfortunately at this point, it's too late. Labour don't give a shit about being an actual political opposition to the Tories, just an electoral opposition that can get them in power.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Genuinely dont know why people like Sturgeon so much

when what's best for you is to pelt zingers at the mess doon sooth and offer precisely fuck all answers as to how to fix it beyond picking up your ball and leaving, you can attract the affection of a lot of self hating english.

Hasney

when what's best for you is to pelt zingers at the mess doon sooth and offer precisely fuck all answers as to how to fix it beyond picking up your ball and leaving, you can attract the affection of a lot of self hating english.

It's not picking up the ball and leaving, it's picking up the ball and trying to keep playing on the nicer, bigger pitch. This one is about wanting to stay somewhere, not leave somewhere.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Welp:

Fuckity fuck

Corto

Welp:

That wasn't my understanding of Article 50. The treaties in place only cease to apply after the withdrawal agreement enters in action. Or after 2 years from the date of activation of article 50 if an agreement isn't reached by then.

Tyaren

I think she will get one well with Merkel. They can clean slate it.

Both make amends .

Turn of events: Merkel might not be chancellor anymore in late 2017. A big part of Germans have lost confidence in her and Steinmeier might take her place. Steinmeier is the guy who seemed pretty pissed and urged you to invoke Article 50 ASAP the next morning of the referendum. ;)

It's true that none as yet have the answers, and it's not the case that English people who like her are "self hating".

Zelias

Banned
Welp:

lmfao

This just keeps getting better and better.

danowat

Banned
After the last few days I'd love to emmigrate anywhere really but I am a 33 year old with no useful transferable skills! Woe is me. I'd probably get less than 1 point on any points based test.

Stuck in London I guess.

Depends, I looked into going to Australia in 2008, when I was 36, and I could have got in.

I am currently looking again, but it's a bit tougher being the wrong side of 40.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Welp:

Pardon?!

It's not picking up the ball and leaving, it's picking up the ball and trying to keep playing on the nicer, bigger pitch. This one is about wanting to stay somewhere, not leave somewhere.

Eh it's likely both. The SNP want independence and this is basically a massive opportunity, getting to stay in the EU being beneficial to Scotland is probably an extra bonus (especially for anyone with political ambitions in an independent Scotland since it makes you look super good).

Joni

That wasn't my understanding of Article 50. The treaties in place only cease to apply after the withdrawal agreement enters in action. Or after 2 years from the date of activation of article 50 if an agreement isn't reached by then.

The withdrawal agreement concerns the withdrawal. Not a new trade agreement.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
It's true that none as yet have the answers, and it's not the case that English people who like her are "self hating".

it's not just that she doesn't have answers, it's that her position is strengthened by stoking the fire down here rather than trying to fix this mess and the people who will be worst effected are applauding her for it.

Hasney

Yeah, that's how I read it. But this isn't saying they can't negotiate, this is saying they won't.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Welp:

EU is making it so UK never execute order 66.

In the end I think it will be they want us to leave .bloody Brussels always pushing us around . We are not going.

Article 50 won't be invoked .

Then somehow it will be something neither side talks about .

I think there is too much already in place between us all.

If EU back us away . The right wing loonies will be all see. See the EU . Bullies.

Others will hate that and more countries vote to leave.

Hasney

In the end I think it will be they want us to leave .bloody Brussels always pushing us around . We are not going.

If EU back us away . The right wing loonies will be all see. See the EU . Bullies.

It'll be like that married couple where someone asked for a divorce one drunken night, but nothing more came of it after that, so they just kind of stayed together.

accel

Yeah, that's how I read it. But this isn't saying they can't negotiate, this is saying they won't.

Yes, this looks like the EU wanting to punish the UK for leaving. Which, on the one hand, is a pity, but on the other means that this certainly isn't final.

*Splinter

it's not just that she doesn't have answers, it's that her position is strengthened by stoking the fire down here rather than trying to fix this mess and the people who will be worst effected are applauding her for it.
Why is she supposed to fix this mess? Do we usually go to Scotland for advice on how to run the country?

Seems more like England and Wales are the ones stomping off in a huff because they couldn't get their way and dragging their poor little brother along with them.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member

Also, why the fuck would/should Nicola Sturgeon be trying to fix the "mess doon sooth"?

Anyway, just heard about Boris Johnstone. All I can say is I hope his political career is over now. I hope nobody ever forgets what he's done here.

PJV3

Weird, we are the ones leaving, Scotland wants to stay. They had a vote, then we picked up our ball and left the EU.

nOoblet16

We will execute Order 1886 then.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Weird, we are the ones leaving, Scotland wants to stay. They had a vote, then we picked up our ball and left the EU.

you want to leave mate?

i don't.

any politician that can facilitate this for me i'm all ears for it.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Welp:

This is basically the EU telling the UK that they are the ones setting the rules and that they better get to work. I expect nothing but gloves-off negotiations at this point, with the UK being tied and gagged.

Not necessarily, but new trade deals aren't required to be agreed upon during that period. It can happen if both sides are willing to do it in agreement, but the UK may end up exiting without a new deal already in place.

Wouldn't make much sense making deals when the terms of exit aren't even finalised.

This is basically the EU telling the UK that they are the ones setting the rules and that they better get to work. I expect nothing but gloves-off negotiations at this point, with the UK being tied and gagged.

That sounds like someones fetish lol

Meanwhile it sounds like a Corbyn supporter has used anti-semetic language towards a labour MP today at the launch of an inquiry into anti-semetism in the labour party.
You couldn't make this shit up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom