• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJV3

You don't see a problem with Scotland transitioning to the Euro whilst the UK simultaneously loses London as a financial hub and the economy takes massive fundamental shifts?

England always moans about how much it costs to support Scotland, England will need the cash.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
You don't see a problem with Scotland transitioning to the Euro whilst the UK simultaneously loses London as a financial hub and the economy takes massive fundamental shifts?
How big is Hadrians wall?

Neil Marshall is furiously scribbling a Doomsday sequel with the original film's setting reverted as we speak.

tumblr_nc96xbWhfT1tdkro1o1_500.gif

Meadows

Banned
So, news coming out that some ShadCab members are trying to see Corbyn and that Diane Abbot is literally standing in front of the door preventing them from getting in.

Fucking hell.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Maybe English politicians should have thought about that before holding a referendum on EU membership.

Stuart444

So... it's likely we'll get a second indy ref by 2017?

If so and it fails then yeah, Scotland will be attached to the UK until the UK dies or until England decides to take over and call Scotland part of England officially.

Episode 8 is here... (damn)

"She urged MSPs to hold a second independence referendum by summer 2017 at the latest, if it is judged to be in the best interests of Scotland, to allow the EU to start work on these transitional arrangements."

This can't happen. The UK won't allow it, it is impossible to be cruising two crises like this at once.

Eek, a bit early for my liking. I need a little more time to get my shit together before I can move North of the border.

Hazzuh

Is it? well link says 4 hours ago and I hadn't heard it =/

New thread worthy?

I have a friend who worked for a charity who linked it to me yesterday but I dunno. I guess actual report may have been released yesterday and the newspapers got round to it today? Definitely enough going on lol.

Might be worth a thread IMO.

Walshicus

The EU won't allow it neither, as explained before. As it stands, the EU pursues stabilisation, not the contrary. Accepting Scotland before its separation from the UK would be as close to a land grab as it gets without resorting to military action.

Scotland will have to be out and by itself before admission talks begin. At very least, meetings will only able to take place once the UK approves the separation of Scotland and transition towards an independent state begins.

As mentioned above though, there is existing precedent for part of a state to leave the EU and part of it to stay:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36639770

The more I think on this, the more the Greenland+ model makes sense. Scotland, Northern Ireland, London and Gibraltar remain in the EU, while England and Wales do a Greenland.

Mr. Sam

A friend and I are already planning it, can't be doing with this country anymore.

Oh good, it wasn't just me and my girlfriend who were putting feelers out. The process of moving to Canada, early on at least, has proved to be more accommodating than I'd imagined, though I've yet to get into the nitty gritty.

PJV3

As mentioned above though, there is existing precedent for part of a state to leave the EU and part of it to stay:

The more I think on this, the more the Greenland+ model makes sense. Scotland, Northern Ireland, London and Gibraltar remain in the EU, while England and Wales do a Greenland.

That is what i want, federate and forget this madness ever happened. English parliament and more powers for london.

Oh good, it wasn't just me and my girlfriend who were putting feelers out. The process of moving to Canada, early on at least, has proved to be more accommodating than I'd imagined, though I've yet to get into the nitty gritty.

We're not that ambitious though unfortunately :p We're looking at moving to Scotland.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I think I have heard "David Cameron has been a great prime minister" more today than Brexit

Sounds like things are mostly winding down now, I'm not expecting much until Art. 50 is actually invoked which sounds like it won't happen until the end of the year.

Protome

That's all for when the Brexit blows over.

That makes no sense. You have to have the discussions about part(s) of the UK remaining if the UK as a whole leaves before the UK formally leaves. Otherwise the discussions are about the previous parts regaining entry to the EU not remaining in it.

Hasney

Sounds like things are mostly winding down now, I'm not expecting much until Art. 50 is actually invoked which sounds like it won't happen until the end of the year.

Have you been paying attention today? Winding down?! This has all happened today:

• Labour are needing members for their shadow cabinet so badly at the moment that they put an 81 year old backbencher of 20-something years, who literally has written a book on being a backbencher, in a front bench position
  • Theresa May is the favourite to be Tory leader. Fortunatly isn't planning to withdraw from the European Human Rights but only because she won't get the support
  • Michael Gove, Boris' lapdog, stabbed him in the back and announced he would be running for leader
  • Boris Johnson then gave a 15 minute speech explaining how good he would be as a leader and how good he was as London Mayor... Before saying he would not be standing at the end
  • Turns out that Gove may have sub-edited Boris column
Maybe winding down for the day, but we now have two leadership contests too!

Kazaam

The EU won't allow it neither, as explained before. As it stands, the EU pursues stabilisation, not the contrary. Accepting Scotland before its separation from the UK would be as close to a land grab as it gets without resorting to military action.

Scotland will have to be out and by itself before admission talks begin. At very least, meetings will only able to take place once the UK approves the separation of Scotland and transition towards an independent state begins.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the news, but isn't this why she's urging to hold a second independence referendum as soon as possible?

Z3K

I can see Scotland doing this, but London is part of England and Gibraltar on it's own is as good as finished and will become part of Spain.

I know this is wishful thinking but best case scenario for London is for the EU to designate it a Special European Economic Zone and be like Hong Kong: One Country, Two Systems.

Daemul

But the English always complain about us being a financial burden which doesn't pull it's weight, surely that means that they would be glad to get rid of us since they would be better off?
2238782717.gif

liquidtmd

Banned
I guess that depends on your perspective, from my view as an outsider nothing much is set to happen until later this year, it's mostly all just internal politics now.

I hear you but the internal politics will dictate ultimately whether article 50 is a cert.

I hear many reasons why its done and dusted, but until that moment - nothing is a given, purely based on the last six days

jelly

Boris, you fucking bellend lying coward.

So, would May be in the pocket of Murdoch etc.?

Gove won't win and I wonder if May would even want a person like him around. He is pure bought scum.

I hear you but the internal politics will dictate ultimately whether article 50 is a cert.

I hear many reasons why its done and dusted, but until that moment - nothing is a given, purely based on the last six days

Is article 50 being activated still an uncertainty? I am having a lot of trouble imagining a scenario where it doesn't happen at this point. D:

Meadows

Banned
Boris, you fucking bellend lying coward.

So, would May in
be the pocket of Murdoch etc.?

Gove won't win and I wonder if May would even want a person like him around. He is pure bought scum.

May is not as pocketed as Gove that's for sure.

accel

That makes no sense. You have to have the discussions about part(s) of the UK remaining if the UK as a whole leaves before the UK formally leaves. Otherwise the discussions are about the previous parts regaining entry to the EU not remaining in it.

It is impossible to be solving two things of this scale at once. Asking the UK to have to deal with another referendum on Scotland while it is not yet out of the EU and the terms of the future cooperation with the EU are unclear is asking for a suicide. Please have patience and don't demand your part of the pie until we take that pie out of the hot oven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom