• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
giphy.gif

What's wrong with him?

Scrap him. They can always activate another one from the vats.

pigeon

Banned
So I know the FTPA is basically brand new and I don't know much about the actual regular order in the House of Commons.

Basically, as I understand it, the only way for there to be elections under the FTPA, outside of the five-year term, is for the Commons to explicitly pass a no confidence motion, or to pass a motion with a supermajority calling for elections. (I don't understand why this second clause exists, since presumably if you could pass an election resolution with a supermajority you could just pass a no confidence motion with a regular majority.)

In practice, how plausible is it to pass a no confidence motion? I understand that the Tories would whip hard against it to prevent it from passing, but how hard is it to actually bring the motion up for a vote?

England doesn't have literal knees.

I mean, she does, but she's pretty old. That sounds like a recipe for injury.

So can the UK gov just not push the big article 50 button and just use it to be pissy to the EU indefinitely?

At this stage I can see them dragging this shit out for years before they even start it.

Pandy

No Article 50 this year yet no second ref nor GE in a period whereby we can't negotiate?!?

Fucking good luck with that

I guess it gives it more chance to fail, somehow, but the EU has been fairly keen on getting this rolling, so I can't see this improving the tone of any negotiations.

Not that she hasn't fucked those already with today's comments anyway.

May said this morning Brexit means Brexit.

So much for being the best out of the bunch. She's willingly going to invoke article 50, destroy the economy of the country all for the sake of a glorified opinion poll. Screw everything.

I wonder, if there's any possibility of salvation from a legal POV? Surely, between the City of London, Scotland, NI and Gibraltar, a case can be made for a judicial review to determine if invoking article 50 on the back of a glorified opinion poll is unlawful on the grounds of:

1. The referendum exercise is nothing but an abuse of democracy, whose original motivation lies not in public interest, but to settle petty politics (which backfired spectacularly) on a political party. Should a nation suffer the consequences?

2. The process in itself is deeply flawed on a fundamental level. The assumption that a majority of the voting public is able to filter out and make rational decisions based on misleading claims and outrageous lies while absolving those from responsibility is just not acceptable. The exercise is a farcical one and to be held ransom to conclusions based on such flawed premises is not democracy.

So I know the FTPA is basically brand new and I don't know much about the actual regular order in the House of Commons.

Basically, as I understand it, the only way for there to be elections under the FTPA, outside of the five-year term, is for the Commons to explicitly pass a no confidence motion, or to pass a motion with a supermajority calling for elections. (I don't understand why this second clause exists, since presumably if you could pass an election resolution with a supermajority you could just pass a no confidence motion with a regular majority.)

In practice, how plausible is it to pass a no confidence motion? I understand that the Tories would whip hard against it to prevent it from passing, but how hard is it to actually bring the motion up for a vote?

The one that requires a majority has a waiting period, while the super-majority one is immediate.

In practice, I don't think either will happen. A fair few Tories would have to rebel, and unless this leadership bid gets really nasty, I can't see it happening.

Stuart444

No Article 50 this year?

I wonder what this means for businesses, will many of them continue to hope we don't leave the EU or just move to another EU country anyway due to how much uncertainty there is before Article 50 is even triggered.

Is there even a reason for Article 50 being put off for so long? Or have they admitted that "I'll put it off so we can get our act together before we negotiate"

or something like that. Either way, the longer this goes on, the more of a joke we look to both the EU and the rest of the world.

UK: The Ultimate British Sitcom.

Pandy

I'm sure the British press will be just as critical of a Tory PM who hasn't won a GE as they were of Brown.

If the early polling holds true, they'll talk about her being elected with an 'overwhelming mandate (*cough*within the Conservative Party*cough*)' and leave it at that.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
No Article 50 this year?

I wonder what this means for businesses, will many of them continue to hope we don't leave the EU or just move to another EU country anyway due to how much uncertainty there is before Article 50 is even triggered.

Is there even a reason for Article 50 being put off for so long? Or have they admitted that "I'll put it off so we can get our act together before we negotiate"

or something like that. Either way, the longer this goes on, the more of a joke we look to both the EU and the rest of the world.

UK: The Ultimate British Sitcom.

Maybe never activate it and that's the joke. So anytime England get annoyed they can go order 66 may be done

dealer-

The Telegraph on May's speech last October:
It's hard to know where to start with Theresa May's awful, ugly, misleading, cynical and irresponsible speech to the Conservative Party conference today.

If you haven't seen reports of it, allow me to summarise: "Immigrants are stealing your job, making you poorer and ruining your country. Never mind the facts, just feel angry at foreigners. And make me Conservative leader.

Sounds about right from the noises she has been making today.

The problem with May saying things like that from a political POV is that she seems like she wants to reach out to moderate voters / disaffected Labour. That explains her signalling that she at least wants austerity-lite. Repatriation is the kind of thing that would turn off those voters really hard.

Alot of disaffected labour want exactly that though.

I seem to be missing a prized photoshop of Theresa May as Emperor Palpatine which I've been saving for this day, and I'm pretty sure I got it from on here. Can anyone help me out?

Zelias

Banned
Man, UK politics are a hell of a ride!

A bit farcical, maybe, so here's something to cheer you up, fellow neighbours.
brexityourself1.jpg
I fucking died at 'J'attends la fin de la grève' ('I'm waiting for the strike to end').

If I had the money and means France would actually be one of my top destinations. I studied out there and, although it's super rusty now, still speak the language. Beautiful country, lovely people outside of Paris too.

Corto

Exactly. Even mentioning it is utterly vile to me. It's disgraceful that we should be playing politics with this.

Exactly. In Portugal, and I think other European countries too, our PM reassured UK citizens in Portugal that he would do everything in his power to protect the rights of UK citizens living, visiting or investing in Portugal. It's completely absurd to put millions of lives as a bargaining option like that.

JP_

Banned
It seriously seems like they'd do far less damage if they just vetoed the referendum. Some damage is already done, but it just looks like they're willingly walking into an incinerator.

So if May, Gove, Crabb - every single option is fucking awful.

Thanks a fuckload, David Cameron.

Yeah the choices are horrendous. Things are going to get much worse very rapidly by the looks of it.

It seriously seems like they'd do far less damage if they just vetoed the referendum. Some damage is already done, but it just looks like they're willingly walking into an incinerator.

Pretty much, except nobody has the balls to stand up and actually say it, and why they need to do it to protect the country as best as possible. I really can't get my head around the complacency on display by the 'leaders' right now.

PJV3

I'm trying to find any "taking into consideration the feelings of almost half the electorate" Cameron was on about.

May is the most moderate of the candidates and that's not good.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
If EU refuses to negotiate before UK has exited and UK has to go WTO terms, it's check mate for UK.

We can't until we execute order 66.

If they force us . They are in breach , loads of members in the EU and anti EU feelings will rise .

We stay as is until we choose to leave. That's my understanding .

We may get offered something to just leave at this point.

Kelthink

Oh, absolutely. They should be saying, "We've realised we don't have a plan for exiting the EU and to do so would be lunacy. But lies have been peddled for too long and it's now bitten us on the arse. We need to improve local economies and not just rely on The City to count as 'everywhere'. Time to stop fearmongering."

But really,

"We'll negotiate a much shittier deal and make things worse for everyone."

RedShift

I really don't think Gove has any intention of winning. He's only in this race to stick the boot in Boris.

Not sure why he's done it though. As revenge for Dave and George? Because May promised him Chancellor/Foreign Sec/Brexit Tsar? Because he really was worried Boris would back down on freedom of movement?

The nature of the referendum doesn't help. It was non-binding but not everyone knows that, and while the government could go against that as is within their legal power, it would get thrown them as an accusation that they're 'anti-democratic' in a world where decades of the cold war and the war on terror has coded that into being automatically evil. Many politicians will naturally care more about their individual careers than they will the sake of the country (though I suppose 'for the sake of the country' is how they carried the banner of austerity, so eh).

Maledict

I really don't think Gove has any intention of winning. He's only in this race to stick the boot in Boris.

Not sure why he's done it though. As revenge for Dave and George? Because May promised him Chancellor/Foreign Sec/Brexit Tsar? Because he really was worried Boris would back down on freedom of movement?

Because Boris isn't stupid enough to trigger article 50, and Gove is a fanatic anti-EU person. And Gove is utterly bought and sold by Murdoch, and Murdoch wants us out of Europe.

Hasney

Because we were wrong about him being Boris' puppet; he's Murdochs. He's going for the win because he has said to.

Fucking hell. All it takes is one fucking week to return to the Thatcher era of pre-Maastricht right wing sabre-rattling bullshit.

Repatriation of EU migrants. Fucking hell, even Farage wouldn't say that. Not even as a joke/threat.

The country would collapse without migrant workers. As a threat, it's like a 10-year-old threatening to run away from home.

I can't believe we're even entertaining the idea of "send 'em back!" This is what British politics in 2016 has devolved to. I'm ashamed to be British.

Tregard

Soothsayer
I wonder, if there's any possibility of salvation from a legal POV? Surely, between the City of London, Scotland, NI and Gibraltar, a case can be made for a judicial review to determine if invoking article 50 on the back of a glorified opinion poll is unlawful.

Good luck with getting NI on board, our leading party, the DUP, were firmly in the Leave camp for seemingly no good reason, and even though their own country voted otherwise, their response has been spineless and pathetic.

Seriously, I implore you to look up some of the repsonses, our first minister Arlene Foster's response has equated to patronisingly chuckling at anyone who voted Remain, saying "It's democracy though" and retweeting far-right leaning Leave voters.

Genuinely disgusting posturing, obviously sucking up to Westminster to become their new favourite home nation since Scotland is busy kicking up a fuss, as we should be too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom