• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
ClsYMmCUgAE5p1x.jpg

British currrency right now...

That's incredible.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Responding to a post from the previous thread...
devilhawk said:
It is extremely important that Americans take note of this. It's not just spite though as many of these voters are struggling.

Rural and less-educated voters have largely been ignored and beaten down by both parties. Democrats have completely and absolutely ignored them while Republicans have economically harmed them but pandered to them on social issues. Now the social issues are a lost cause and these voters see absolutely no established parties willing to help them. All the rural voters hear is rhetoric akin to "stfu and vote how we tell you to." This leads to the scary rise of people like Trump, because they see nowhere to turn to. So bullshit reigns.

I see many similarities in the Brexit vote.
I don't agree with this at all. One party in America is largely in favor of universal healthcare and daycare, paid parental leave, expanding union membership and access to college, consumer financial protection, etc. The other party largely isn't. The anger at Obamacare, a policy that was largely a net benefit to poorer voters, belies this notion that they are merely revolting against a political elite that is callous toward their well-being.

Saucy_XL

Banned
So true, as a leftist it is sad to see how the left's tactics have become such a petty joke.

Is this the overall message leftists the world over should learn from Brexit? Seems like immigration is totally divisive issue for some people, and also that liberal economic policies have not helped people enough, or enough people (even tho neither have conservative ones). I think it wild benefit progressives (at least in Europe) to learn from what Brexit is telling them

I always found it odd that UK was in the EU, but not the Euro Zone. Not knowing too much about their specific economy, wouldn't that dichotomy prevent them from coordinating fiscal with monetary policy?

If so, I could see that as an argument for this move.

Upinsmoke

I voted to remain.

Its okay though, I've just looked out my window and all the foreigners have vanished into fairy dust. Not only that but the NHS has just got 350m pounds richer and nobody is actually dying anymore.

Glorious!

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Hello everyone. I, must like some others here, are uncertain as to what the implications of this move exactly are. Can someone explain why there is so much gloom regarding this situiaton? Are there any bright sides?

Please explain in as simple a way as possible.

there are literally 0 good things to come out of this

many many potential and real bad things, like economic recession, a fractured EU, UK dropping the U...

Dr.Acula

Banned
As an American, with the chance of a Trump presidency on my horizon, seeing the UK try to leave and potentially encouraging other European countries from leaving the EU feels like the beginning of the end. Like seeing the world descend back into savagery and stupidity.

Like, why can't people just fucking realize that being united is being better than apart? Do you want the world to still be arbitrarily split up 100, 200, 300 years from now in the name of patriotism and nationalism?

It's a miracle that we in Canada voted out a majority Conservative government and installed what was a third-place Liberal government to their strongest majority since 1949. Given how Europe and the US have been moving, I didn't think Canada would swing back so far left.

Maybe the US will do the same? Hopefully the gridlock has made Americans sick of the Republicans and is signaling a sea change.

giga

Inflation rises if the price of goods and services go up. There will be less migrant labour, so probably a tighter about market. What we import may see tariffs added, and so become more expensive. The fund (sterling) is falling, which makes EVERYTHING we import more expensive.

Offsetting that, we'll have a recession, which reduces the demand for goods and services, which is generally deflationary.

It's hard to know how it would play out, but it could well end up being inflationary, especially if sterling continues to fall. Far from impossible.
It's impossibly easy for the BoE to counter any such inflationary pressures. Worry more about the recession, which is inevitable at this point. Consumption and investment will drop like a rock and thus output, as a result.

Just got to train myself to enjoy the anarchy. Fully support Scotland leaving, Labour tearing itself apart, and whatever consequences there are. Worst case scenario I will become an immigrant myself

I will try, but do remember that this is very early in the process and the full implications have not yet sunk in. there will be a lot of things going on over the coming days, week and months.

What happened

The UK, by a straight majority of the popular vote, decided to leave the EU. This vote is not binding on the government but is very strongly persuasive. It does not mean that the UK is immediately outside the EU as exit will take somewhere between 2 (hah!) and seven years to negotiate.

This result, largely unexpected, has sent everything into a bit of a frenzy as nobody knows what happens next.

Why did it happen

Stepping back a bit, a very large portion of the UK electorate - mostly but not solely those older, poorer, less educated and outside the main cities - feeling excluded from the political process and stomped on by the government and, through continual news coverage and individual experience blaming this on the EU and in particular on immigration consequent on the enlargement of the EU over the last 10 years or so.

Leave voters span all political parties, so it isn't just a political thing.

At the same time, there was a political drive towards separation from the EU from the separatist UKIP party and the right-wing of the Conservative party.

The campaign to leave the EU was an aggressive one, and strongly focused on immigration, the fear of further EU consolidation and expansion, the immediate claimed economic benefits of leaving the EU, and EU over-regulation.

At the same time, there was a serious and festering ideological split within the ruling Conservative Party between the more moderate and the more extreme right wing. the Prime Minister called the referendum largely to heal/deal with this split.

Leave won.

What it means

Nobody knows. There is as yet no plan.

Politically, both mainstream UK parties are split and we are politically vulnerable. There may or may not be an early general election, we don't even know today whether anybody can command a Commons majority.

Economically, everything is tanking right now. We don't know if this is a blip a recession or something worse.

Geopolitically, there are knock effects nearly everywhere.

It seems likely that will be moves for Scotland and possibly Northern Ireland to secede from the UK.

Socially, everybody blaming everybody else.

Businesswise, probably a bunch of companies will leave the UK.

Plus, it is raining.

What happens next

Everybody needs to take a big deep breath and think hard. Kneejerk reactions are not going to help any.

Donald Trump has a press conference at 10am!

Thanks!

We in the netherlands voted on two referendums one in 2005 and one this year. We said no two times and did the EU listen? off course not because a no is a yes instead for them. That isn't democracy we raised our voice we said no and they shuffled it under a rug like it's nothing.

The referendum this year was purely advisory and it didn't had any legal binding?

dealer-

Being absolutely serious, a Tory government set it's stall out to actively try and destroy my city, and it's only because of EU funding that it's managed to truly recover.

Devastated.

Yeah the capital of culture dun good for a few places.

Tak3n

Banned
Birmingham 700,000 votes, largest in the country, and voters just did not respond as remain hoped

Boston 80% leave!

KNT-Zero

Have any GAFfers migrated to Australia or Canada from Europe? Any thoughts and impressions?

Me and my friends are thinking about the possibility of maybe considering leaving. For good.

Lagamorph

Is there the remotest possibility that people in the leave campaign like Farage beginning to backtrack over some of their claims could give enough reason to render the result of the referendum illegitimate?
Please?

Guess this means my holiday in September to be Spain will now feature border security checkpoints.

I am proud to be Scottish, we voted to remain and ashamed of the UK as a whole which voted to leave

Mac_Lane

Saw that on the Guardian website :

Nigel Farage, the Ukip leader, has told ITV’s Good Morning Britain that he thought it was a mistake for the Vote Leave campaign to say that it could save £350m a week by leaving the EU and that the money could go to the NHS.

Fucker.

Uzzy

This is the first time I've heard Tim Fallon speak about the Referendum. The Lib Dems fall from grace is quite depressing.

So how's ScotGAF and NIGAF holding up? If I was reading the votes right Scotland pretty much voted to remain.

Currently in France, but voted by proxy in Northern Ireland. I feel ashamed to even be a part of the United Kingdom right now. I would've been a de facto unionist up until now, but I feel abandoned by the voters in England and Wales. I doubt I would lose any sleep if Scotland and Northern Ireland left(assuming it is a peaceful exit in NI, which seems unlikely unfortunately). Frankly I hope the Scots thoroughly rebuke this result in the, now inevitable, Independence Referendum.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Any UK political scientist know why the pollsters didn't see this coming? Were they too focused on London or something?

This should be interesting to watch. I've been so caught up in US politics that I've only had the occasional eye on this. I figured Remain was a slam dunk. Personally, I'm always super wary of direct democracy being used for major changes like this because the average person can get swept up in sensationalism very easily. But the people have spoken, so I hope that it works out for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom