• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalin80

Banned
What threats?, UK voted leave, why would EU want to prolong the process?

Because they are losing one of their biggest bill payers, investors and export markets. Do you think the other contributors to the EU want to suddenly pay the difference? Hell no, the UK even after rebates were a big payer and that extra money needs to be found from somewhere. The various mouthpieces will be knee-jerking all over the press for the next few weeks but the reality is that big business rules all and that big business wants this to be as smooth as butter.

The Germans in particular will want a smooth transition of trade deals considering the insane amount of engineering exports to the UK. The BMW and VAG boards would tear the German government a new one if knee-jerking costs them those billions.

antonz

How is that possible now.

Leave has nothing planned out. So at this point they want to try and stabilize things by going about it all at a crawl. They have repeatedly talked about how it is for the best for stability etc.

The reality is they only wanted to burn down part of the house but succeeded in burning it all down so are totally fucked strategy wise

Withnail

Tim Farron with the truth on BBC1 just now. We knew Cameron's incompetence would fuck us all eventually but Corbyn must take his share of the blame for this. Labour has been pathetic.

I might even consider a Lib Dem vote again.

daveo42

Banned
Dire Warden ‏@mygoditsraining 17m
What. A. Fucking. Shock. "Oh yeah that? It was a lie. Worked, though."

ClsYkJhVYAA_MXm.jpg

What even worse is that the UK stands to lose even more money per week setting up trade deals with the EU. Hmm...wonder where all that extra money is going to come from...

oti

Banned
Look, I won't deny saying "NO" to the big guy isn't tempting. Greece did also vote NO in that one referendum after all. But this? This is a disaster.

sqwarlock

With the GBP plummeting, what impact will that have on the global economy? What is going to happen when the US Stock Market opens? What are we going to wake up to?

I assume this is some kind of political awakening for the downtrodden of the UK, and that having put one in the eye of the elites will go on to shape a new era of political engagement for the common man, who surely won't just go back to being apathetic while the tory right takes over and gleefully shafts everyone with a silver spoon.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I feel sorry for English people who didn't want to jump into abyss like that. I'm very sorry for the Scots, but in a way they can blame themselves too for believing that there is a common interest for them in UK. I hope Scotland can stay in or join quickly.

On the other hand, as I said before, UK got so many exceptions and felt like didn't really participate as an actual active member in the EU especially when things got rough that I see this as an opportunity for EU to move forward. I hope no more concessions will be done and the treaties with UK will be fair, but uncompromising.

BBC going off the air.

What next is a supervillain going to hijack the broadcast.

Holy shit I just heard something good that sounded like either thunder or a massive explosion.

that was not his campaign though, so nothing to do with him

Strange how he didn't point out the issue with the statement before, and I'm sure his band of Leavers rejected the idea utterly.

It doesn't fucking matter which campaign used it, what matters is that it had mindshare which was happily exploited by people like him. To then say it's not quite accurate the next day is, technically fair enough, but politically is a fucking dick move.

dealer-

Leave has nothing planned out. So at this point they want to try and stabilize things by going about it all at a crawl. They have repeatedly talked about how it is for the best for stability etc.

The reality is they only wanted to burn down part of the house but succeeded in burning it all down so are totally sucked strategy wise

Because the leave campaign have said they are happy for him to stay to try to calm the markets and show solidarity

Thanks, I guess it makes sense in the short term. Feck, this is going to be a mess.

looks like that the Referendum is non-binding

Cameron will probably do nothing for 2 years and pretend that the vote never happened

Please.

Dead Man

I assume this is some kind of political awakening for the downtrodden of the UK, and that having put one in the eye of the elites will go on to shape a new era of political engagement for the common man, who surely won't just go back to being apathetic while the tory right takes over and gleefully shafts everyone with a silver spoon.
This post made me laugh. Then cry.

Chinner

Banned
With the GBP plummeting, what impact will that have on the global economy? What is going to happen when the US Stock Market opens? What are we going to wake up to?
FTSE opens in less than an hour, some predicted a drop of up to 20%. The FTSE 100 could potentially be in the high 4000s.

SeanTSC

I'm completely baffled that something this major didn't require a Super Majority vote. It's insane that it only required a 50+% majority.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
The US would be happy to take London as our 51st state. You guys will like the greenback, I guarantee it.
I've been saying for years Northern Ireland should become the 51st state. I'm game if you guys are!

RedRum

Banned
UK's membership contribution was, nominally, £350m. Farage claimed if we left, that could go towards the NHS. That was a blatant lie, because the UK negotiated special conditions when we originally entered the EU that gave us a rebate, so that the actual amount was about £200m less. Farage has now admitted it was a lie.

Wow. That's fucking crazy.

Withnail

Don't worry, you'll be able to buy UK products much cheaper soon.

Oh wait, we don't make anything any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom