• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nokterian

All doom and gloom here but congratulations britain on getting sovereignty and democracy back since the EU doesn't give you that..

Burai

shitonmychest57
Still going on with their threats aren't they?

What threats? It's reality now. IN "threatened" us that the pound was going to tank and, oh look, the pound just tanked.

The EU want us out quickly before the collateral damage gets too much for them to bear. This isn't "if you don't buck your ideas up, you can find somewhere else to live", this is "I've packed your bags and changed the locks, bye".

Lautaro

Try to remember the EU is is turmoil allready, France has elections coming up and they are more anti EU than we are, Germany elections next year, after the Syria issue they could be anti EU

The EU economy is hardly growing

We may have left a sinking ship first

I don't look forward to the future political map of Europe, it may look too much like the old one.

Every political party of any size in Ireland supports the EU. There's practically zero taste for leaving, despite everything that happened in the last decade. You can't swing a cat here without hitting something that was funded by the EU, and we know it.

Glad to hear that. That was always our impression, especially while in Dublin. But we were frightened by the chance that there might have been a swing after the financial crisis and all of the austerity measures.

FStop7

Banned
Probably the third biggest world event of my lifetime after 9/11 and the collapse of the Berlin Wall.

This is a pretty gigantic step backward.

This honestly feels like an inflection point in England's already downward momentum, symbolically it's the twilight of the once great British empire, now literally smaller than the tiniest EU countries who are strong together. Has anyone other country dropped in prestige/power/wolds position this much (over past 150 years or so) Honest question

China after the opium war has dropped a lot more. They came back big style though

Eugh i would flee to Canada but im a pithy student. There goes a few of our industries...why does Farage say a vic for ordinary people...

And i wake up to this...

nAk3fya.jpg

SBg1VeL.jpg
Ffs
Take me back

This honestly feels like an inflection point in England's already downward momentum, symbolically it's the twilight of the once great British empire, now literally smaller than the tiniest EU countries who are strong together. Has anyone other country dropped in prestige/power/wolds position this much (over past 150 years or so) Honest question

The Ottoman Empire.
Austria-Hungary.

The pound is crashing ahead of my visit to the UK. I'm gonna spend less dollars. On the other hand, the oil market is plunging (not as bad as the pound), and I have investments that are correlated to the oil price.

Fucking hell. A lot of my family works in oil too, my brother a lot of my cousins, a couple of my uncles. Hope they don't end out of a job.

I better call my brother in case the shit hits the fan.

Not just ignorance, but willful, spiteful ignorance. The Leave side didn't just ignore anybody who was warning about the economic consequences, it spat in their faces.

It's horrifying to see racist nativism win out in such a big way.
Not all leave voters did it based on xenophobia or ignorance (many did of course). They wanted to take control of law making and control immigration because of concerns on the impact on the country. A couple of my very educated friends voted leave as they see the economic impact as being a price worth paying.

They're still wrong of course.

dalin80

Banned
Leave doesnt even have a plan for the future what the fuck UK. This really is idiocracy.

Who do you mean by 'leave'?

'Leave' is not a political party, 'Leave' is not a person, 'Leave' is just a banner that some have campaigned under.

The future of the UK will be decided like it always has, by electing mp's, governments, officials and then complaining about it. If you want to know the plans for the future of those parties then check their manifestos. and keep in mind they aren't going to do half of what they have promised.

The big win from all of this? UKip is now irrelevant.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
It's bad to tell people they voted against their interests

unless they voted against your interests. Then it's good.

As a Northern Ireland resident with a Bristish passport who voted to stay, would it be in my best interest to get an Irish passport instead?

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
It seems like England has surpassed America in wanting to break away from England.

JCG

It may or may not turn out to be a "good" decision in the long term, since whatever remains of the EU won't have to deal with the UK asking for special treatment, but in the medium term it's sure going to mess up the state of the world quite a bit. Even for the Brits.

Iceternal

All those here saying " it's the end of the world" " UK is finished " are making me laugh so hard . Amazing knee-jerk reactions.

zewone

All your old people screwed you over. Time to kick your grandparents to the curb.

People who won't even be around to see the damage they've done.

You should lose the right to vote at 60.

K6diScS.jpg

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Can someone TLDR what happened, why it happened, and what it means

I will try, but do remember that this is very early in the process and the full implications have not yet sunk in. there will be a lot of things going on over the coming days, week and months.

What happened

The UK, by a straight majority of the popular vote, decided to leave the EU. This vote is not binding on the government but is very strongly persuasive. It does not mean that the UK is immediately outside the EU as exit will take somewhere between 2 (hah!) and seven years to negotiate.

This result, largely unexpected, has sent everything into a bit of a frenzy as nobody knows what happens next.

Why did it happen

Stepping back a bit, a very large portion of the UK electorate - mostly but not solely those older, poorer, less educated and outside the main cities - feeling excluded from the political process and stomped on by the government and, through continual news coverage and individual experience blaming this on the EU and in particular on immigration consequent on the enlargement of the EU over the last 10 years or so.

Leave voters span all political parties, so it isn't just a political thing.

At the same time, there was a political drive towards separation from the EU from the separatist UKIP party and the right-wing of the Conservative party.

The campaign to leave the EU was an aggressive one, and strongly focused on immigration, the fear of further EU consolidation and expansion, the immediate claimed economic benefits of leaving the EU, and EU over-regulation.

At the same time, there was a serious and festering ideological split within the ruling Conservative Party between the more moderate and the more extreme right wing. the Prime Minister called the referendum largely to heal/deal with this split.

Leave won.

What it means

Nobody knows. There is as yet no plan.

Politically, both mainstream UK parties are split and we are politically vulnerable. There may or may not be an early general election, we don't even know today whether anybody can command a Commons majority.

Economically, everything is tanking right now. We don't know if this is a blip a recession or something worse.

Geopolitically, there are knock effects nearly everywhere.

It seems likely that will be moves for Scotland and possibly Northern Ireland to secede from the UK.

Socially, everybody blaming everybody else.

Businesswise, probably a bunch of companies will leave the UK.

Plus, it is raining.

What happens next

Everybody needs to take a big deep breath and think hard. Kneejerk reactions are not going to help any.

Donald Trump has a press conference at 10am!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom