• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxus

Here I thought America was going to blow everything up.

Now Trump is fizzling out and EU voted leave on BRexit.

What happened EU? Did you really just want to shoot yourselves in the foot that badly?

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Dire Warden ‏@mygoditsraining 17m
What. A. Fucking. Shock. "Oh yeah that? It was a lie. Worked, though."

ClsYkJhVYAA_MXm.jpg

This is so great.

All of my life GB voted against anything that made sense regarding EU politics and always acted like the USs little pet dog.

Good bye GB, you won't be missed from my side..

When said people are willing to burn the country to the groud to get rid of all the 'brown people', words like 'uneducated' and 'racist' barely fucking cut it now do they?

You put 'brown people' in quotation marks, but you're not quoting anyone. And I don't think the Leave voters actually cast a ballot for "burn country to the ground." You can double down on arguing that people who disagree with you are stupid or racist, but that didn't seem to win you the vote you wanted.

I don't live in the UK, so you can do what you please. I just don't think this is the smartest tactic.

Instead, you might want to examine the legitimate fears and anxiety over immigration, especially from certain areas of the world, and then formulate better policy decisions based on that.

Nokterian

The referendum this year was purely advisory and it didn't had any legal binding?

Not really we voted no because of the ukrainian deal it gave more power to company's and make everything worse it's a long list not going to name it now, still our government doesn't listen en EU doesn't listen either and we clearly said no.

daveo42

Banned
Good luck UK, sounds like you guys are gonna need it. Hell, so is the EU and probably a good chunk of the globe.

Fuck.

numble

giga said:
Lol why on earth would inflation and rates rise in such a situation. The BoE would ensure the opposite.

It's impossibly easy for the BoE to counter any such inflationary pressures. Worry more about the recession, which is inevitable at this point. Consumption and investment will drop like a rock and thus output, as a result.

How would they counter inflation without increasing rates?

Many goods are not set based on the local market and the drop in value of the pound (increasing costs of import) and the increasing taxes on imports (increasing costs of import) simply will make things cost more (i.e., inflation).

Rich!

My parents are pissed off. Spoke to my dad on the phone, he said he's not watching the TV in order to avoid the floppy haired cunt (obviously Boris).

Worrying about my inheritance now (as are they) as it's tied in euro business on my grandparents side. A lot of the money is in Geneva, so we are ok for that (as the GBP will recover) but the money tied in business may take a big hit.

I could lose near enough a hundred grand which is a bit of a piss take. Need to speak to my grandparents (the ones that voted remain, my others voted out)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
This thread is fucking moving.

Can someone explain the 350m thing?

UK's membership contribution was, nominally, £350m. Farage claimed if we left, that could go towards the NHS. That was a blatant lie, because the UK negotiated special conditions when we originally entered the EU that gave us a rebate, so that the actual amount was about £200m less. Farage has now admitted it was a lie.

Liha

Banned
Why do so many people expect a economic crash? UK will join the European Free Trade Association like Switzerland, Norway, Liechtenstein and Island. All these countries have a wealthy and growing economy. It's almost impossible to leave the EU in less than 2 years and to negotiate all conditions.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
How would they counter inflation without increasing rates?

Many goods are not set based on the local market and the drop in value of the pound (increasing costs of import) and the increasing taxes on imports (increasing costs of import) simply will make things cost more (i.e., inflation).

Yeah. If the cost-price shock from exit is greater than the reduced demand from a recession, we'll see inflation. The bank can't exactly increase rates during a recession, after all.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Tim Farron laying the boot into Corbyn on BBC News. The stubborn old cunt is a disgrace to his party.

Hypron

Have any GAFfers migrated to Australia or Canada from Europe? Any thoughts and impressions?

Me and my friends are thinking about the possibility of maybe considering leaving. For good.

Come to NZ, it's like Australia but better :) I emigrated there from France with my family when I was 15 and it's probably the best thing my parents have ever done for me.

Emigrating to either country isn't easy though unless you have a desirable job

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
what a phenomenal fuck up.
Brits always tend to be a little weird, but this is a new level. What a desaster for the UK.
i really feel sorry for the minority that seems to have common sense.

Krejlooc

Banned
Here I thought America was going to blow everything up.

Now Trump is fizzling out and EU voted leave on BRexit.

What happened EU? Did you really just want to shoot yourselves in the foot that badly?

oof, might want to brush up on all this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom