• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Scottish independence is a guarantee by the way.

Oil has tanked, they won't have the pound and it would take them years to join the EU. If you think England and Wales are going to fail then Scotland wouldn't stand a chance. It has nothing.

The EU would not favor a Scotland independence movement because it would favor independents in countries like Spain. It's more beneficial to the EU to tell the Scots that if they vote out of the UK, there will be a very long process that might not even result in an acceptance of Scotland into the EU for a decade.

Enlighten me if I'm wrong, but I thought one prevailing reason Scotland decided to stay with the UK was specifically on the grounds/promises that the UK would remain in the EU, though? That was a major point of debate in the leadup to that referendum, which has now become a moot point with the UK calling it quits.

And that's to say nothing of EU referendum voting results showing that Scotland was the only territory within the UK that had a clear majority of voters who wanted the UK to remain in the EU (62% opting to remain). That's a far greater majority compared to Scotland's referendum of voters opting for Scotland to remain with the UK (55.4%); even though the voter turnout for the EU membership vote in Scotland (66.7%) was significantly smaller than the Scottish independence vote (84.6%--and that has been described as the highest-recorded turnout for an election/referendum in the UK since universal suffrage was introduced, IIRC).

Coupled with complaints by some that Scotland isn't getting the certain concessions / leeway (or quickly enough as they desired) they were promised if the country did opt to stay with the UK (another major bargaining chip for the Scotland referendum I recall on the table), I don't really seen Scotland lying down and having to lump whatever roadblocks the UK might try to impose on them, if they did make an unanimous decision to exit the UK.

platocplx

hkpETL2.jpg

Jisgsaw

I think regarding the UK leaving Europe, there really is no one to blame but the UK.

Leave campaign would never had won if the EU didn't mismanage the Greece and immigration fiascos. And above that, as I said, it is a easy target to pin problems on, as it is a clusterfuck most people don't know about.

The EU definitively needs to work on its image, the administration has to become leaner and more transparent, and it must be decided if the union goes more towards a federal type of union, or remains a purely economical one, not the half one, half the other one we have right now. The current form doesn't work well, as was seen in the last two crisis.

aeolist

Banned
Article 50 hasn't been invoked yet, and 2 years of trade negotiations with the 27 member EU can be complicated, and won't UK again do trade negotiations with US/China etc. too?

major trade negotiations take longer than 2 years to complete and the US has already said that an independent UK will be at the back of the line. considering how much time and effort has to be invested, it's just not worth it.

I feel like I'm getting lumped in with the Leave voters because I'm based in the North West. I absolutely hate seeing "This was a war between the North and the South" quotes. It's weird having this sense that I feel like I don't belong here. The conversations I've had with colleagues on the leave side have left me livid. Not because they voted leave, but because it was "because immigration" or "because Cameron" and have absolutely no substance behind them.

I've not seen any north/south divide quotes. Pretty much everyone bar London voted out. Sigh.

I am so damned depressed today.

ButchCat

I don't know if this was posted.
13528658_1061875933886803_2513856472112164607_n.jpg

Old generation stuck in a time bubble forcing a future upon us when they don't have long enough to live in it in the first place.

Mr. Sam

I'm going to go on a new blackout and probably an OT Gaf blackout for the next few weeks or so.

I'm supposed to be enjoying the end of my exams yet all I feel is dread, worry and fear for mine, my family, and 49% of the country's future. It's tiring as fuck and I have done none of the stuff I said I'd do once I didn't have school.

So, GAF. It's been a wild ride with you for today but I don't think I can handle any more news like this. It's just all so goddamn disheartening.

See you in a few weeks. I hope you manage to have some fun.

I don't live there no, but half of my family is Irish born.
If you're American, please understand that you likely have a distorted picture of the history and what's at stake. A lot of Irish-Americans show solidarity with their heritage by supporting and funding a "struggle" they only understand bits and pieces of.

I am from the Republic, and I do not dream of a united Ireland; I dream of a peaceful Ireland, whatever form that has to take — and I think that's true of the overwhelming majority of people in both the North and the Republic.

If anything, Brexit endangers a peace that was hard-fought and welcomed by almost all.

Vagabundo

kgGoyWN.jpg

THE IRISH coast guard has today issued a nationwide warning for the East Coast as hundreds of thousands of British refugees risk their lives to cross the Irish sea in an attempt to flee the impoverished and unstable nation.

Dinghies overflowing with desperate migrants are so far half way through their journey, many with women and children aboard, wishing to make a new start on the Emerald Isle.

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/20...-make-dangerous-journey-across-the-irish-sea/

darkwing

major trade negotiations take longer than 2 years to complete and the US has already said that an independent UK will be at the back of the line. considering how much time and effort has to be invested, it's just not worth it.

but they have to do it right? it's not like they would stop trading, crazy, it's like UK restarted into the trade/business game

MCN

Banned
Wishful thinking. The first question will be: Is that a United Catholic Ireland or a United Protest Ireland...?

How about a united Ireland where religion has nothing to do with it, and is only the business of the individual, not of the state? We're not in the 1600's any more.

Vade

No Scotland did not and we've been over this 3 or 4 pages back.

Not in Scotland.

But Scotland voted to remain in the UK first and if the UK then voted to leave the EU Scotland being part of the UK by proxy voted to leave the EU.

The next question I have is, will Scotland get a second vote? Saying we wanted to remain to be part of the EU and now we are not because of this vote.

Timbuktu

How about a united Ireland where religion has nothing to do with it, and is only the business of the individual, not of the state? We're not in the 1600's any more.

Isn't it that Northern Ireland being a money sink that would make unification less likely?

Acorn

I don't know if this was posted.
13528658_1061875933886803_2513856472112164607_n.jpg

Old generation stuck in a time bubble forcing a future upon us that don't have long enough to live in.
So fucking angry at this. Bloody boomers the worst generation, climbing the ladder then kicking it away at every opportunity.

Those calling for a second referendum amuse me.
Asking the same question until you get the answer you want is really stupid.
If the overwhelming majority of your politicians and your people really wanted to remain the referendum wouldn't have happened in the first place.
It is done. You have to deal with it now.

Maledict

Isn't it that Northern Ireland being a money sink that would make unification less likely?

Ireland has literally said it couldn't afford the cost of unification. NI is a vast sinkhole of money - more than the UKs contribution to the EU every year, for example.

Betty

Banned
But Scotland voted to remain in the UK first and if the UK then voted to leave the EU Scotland being part of the UK by proxy voted to leave the EU.

The next question I have is, will Scotland get a second vote? Saying we wanted to remain to be part of the EU and now we are not because of this vote.

That's the plan, our desire to stay in the EU is pretty clear and after an independence victory, rejoining the EU should be doable.

Audioboxer

I'd move up to Scotland but I fear my Scottish name and posh southern accent would make me the subject of far too much banter

Bro, banter will unite us all now given the large swells of folks utterly depressed and worried.

You never know, for once us Scots might actually have well deserved empathy for a lot of the English! <3

Acorn

The eu result was specifically mentioned in the snp manifesto. We can hold a vote and if they choose to not recognise it they'll have civil unrest.

tfur

How much faith should we have in this? Didn't the polls from that week also show that the "Remain" votes was in the lead? I thought a few people said as much in these threads...?

Does anyone have polls from the last weeks? Do they align with the final result?

aeolist

Banned
but they have to do it right? it's not like they would stop trading, crazy, it's like UK restarted into the trade/business game

they'll go through the ITC, which has a lot more restrictions and red tape

make no mistake, this is horrible for UK imports/exports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom