• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Cltl4jFWEAEbnun.jpg

lol, What is the EU?

So a proverbial shoot for ask questions later. Great job.

dumbo

So there could be a significant amount of people who voted for something they didn't want just for the hell of it?

Politicians were strongly pushing people to "go out and register/vote", and this was hugely successful....

But if you've ever watched a UK quiz show, you'll realise that a surprisingly large percentage of the population are totally ignorant of politics, and can't even name the prime-minister/chancellor.

So, having a high turnout may be good for people with the simplest/catchiest message, rather than good for democracy.

its going to be down heavily for a long time. people are buying at bottom barrel prices as to why you see it a as a recovery. its not going to be in the negative for a long time.

Yeah would expect it to fluctuate at a lower level now for awhile, do think it has been rising over the last week or 2 however though because of the assumption that we would remain in the EU. Businesses moving away from the UK though is a worry

Lead

Banned
This vote could result in people being killed if Ireland flares up again
People have been killed and dying fighting for independence for hundreds of years and in recent history the past 100 years.

There has never been a better opportunity than now.

kiguel182

in Portugal, the Ultra-Far-Right Eurosceptic parties are weak and pose no influence

for the establishment Right, the main Center-Right party in coalition with the main Right wing party are pro-EU

the current governing Center-Left Party is pro-EU but they are in a coalition government with two Far-Left parties who are Eurosketpics

if Portugal were to Exit, it would be from the Far-Left not the Far-Right.

We will have to wait and see what is going happen in neighboring Spain. The outcome of Spain's next election could have a downsspiral trend of veering further hard-Left.

by the way, I am a centrist.

Portugal won't leave the EU. The parties don't want to and as much as we complain about some of the EU stuff we don't want to either.

I predict that nobody will leave the EU unless the UK gets a big economic boom. Which I'm sure the EU will try to avoid.

theaface

But UK was anything than a powerhouse back in the 70s. Nothing makes sense here.

Literally what I heard an old chap say on Radio 5 earlier when he was asked about the wishes of young people being overruled. He said they don't remember how good things were before 1975 and the EU came into being. Rose-tinted nostalgia.

darkwing

Yeah would expect it to fluctuate at a lower level now for awhile, do think it has been rising over the last week or 2 however though because of the assumption that we would remain in the EU. Businesses moving away from the UK though is a worry

yup, some businesses moving away from the UK is a given, if their reason was UK was in EU then they would have no reason to stay

If nothing else I'm dreaming of the prospects of a united Ireland. This appears to be the perfect storm.
Stop dreaming about that and start hoping and praying this doesn't jeopardize the peace people too readily take for granted.

Are you actually from Ireland?

Ashes

Banned
Central banks did intervene. I thought things recovered so fast. The Central banks are shoring things up.

"Central banks across the world offered the financial system fresh funds and intervened in currency markets, in an effort to reassure investors sent into panic by the U.K.’s vote to leave the European Union.
After a majority of Britons voted to end their 43-year membership of the EU in a referendum, the Bank of England, the European Central Bank and the Bank of Japan issued statements stressing the availability of liquidity to keep the banking system running. The BOJ led the Swiss National Bank and the Danish central bank in displaying readiness to sell their local currencies to cap gains caused by investors seeking haven from the turmoil."

How many weeks can they keep it up?

I can sorta understand how this can happen. Just imagine what the US populous would be doing right now if we were part of an economic deal that prevented certain border controls. The anti-immigration voters would be up in arms and fear-mongering would be even worse than it is now.

But it seems like the plan has been slapped together slogan first. The uncertainty alone is going to be a major burden on the UK economy and that's going to have a huge impact on their ability to negotiate new trade deals. So they've lost some economic leverage and want to negotiate their own terms on immigration and product control, leaving them even further behind the 8-ball when negotiation.

Are they banking on the EU to suffer greater harm and end up at the table with their tale between their legs? Or do they feel that the EU controls have strangled the economy and will directly offset the harm of the market uncertainty over the next two years?

Seems like such a messed up rush job on the UK's part. Matters like this should not be taken so lightly.

You don't know the the half of it. We had people posting earlier who were saying anybody over 75 should have their right to vote taken taken away from them.

Why stop with their right to vote and not just call for an extermination of anyone over 75 then? Or if ending their right to live is "too hardcore" for modern liberals why not just deport all of them to Greenland? Why suppress a right for someone (any right) should end there may as well suppress all the rights they have. Some people are secretly authoritarian and this seems to be the first time that they lost an election or something.

Blader

People have been killed and dying fighting for independence for hundreds of years and in recent history the past 100 years.

Just to be clear, Lead is pro-people dying for Ireland.

Ovek

7Member7
I feel like I'm getting lumped in with the Leave voters because I'm based in the North West. I absolutely hate seeing "This was a war between the North and the South" quotes. It's weird having this sense that I feel like I don't belong here. The conversations I've had with colleagues on the leave side have left me livid. Not because they voted leave, but because it was "because immigration" or "because Cameron" and have absolutely no substance behind them.

I'm in exactly the same boat as you... all of this is a very sad thing indeed.

darkwing

Central banks did intervene. I thought things recovered so fast. The Central banks are shoring things up.

"Central banks across the world offered the financial system fresh funds and intervened in currency markets, in an effort to reassure investors sent into panic by the U.K.’s vote to leave the European Union.
After a majority of Britons voted to end their 43-year membership of the EU in a referendum, the Bank of England, the European Central Bank and the Bank of Japan issued statements stressing the availability of liquidity to keep the banking system running. The BOJ led the Swiss National Bank and the Danish central bank in displaying readiness to sell their local currencies to cap gains caused by investors seeking haven from the turmoil."

How many weeks can they keep it up?

Article 50 hasn't been invoked yet, and 2 years of trade negotiations with the 27 member EU can be complicated, and won't UK again do trade negotiations with US/China etc. too?

Hawkie

Clearly you have no idea of the voting demographic in N.Ireland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom