• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

hohoXD123

hkpETL2.jpg

Considering how divisions in society seem to be the main reason why we're in this mess in the first place, I could do without another one between the young and old. I've seen some pretty disgusting articles like this one being written because of data like this being shoved in our faces.

But Scotland voted to remain in the UK first and if the UK then voted to leave the EU Scotland being part of the UK by proxy voted to leave the EU.

The next question I have is, will Scotland get a second vote? Saying we wanted to remain to be part of the EU and now we are not because of this vote.

The EU actually deterred Scottish independence by telling Scotland that they'd face some sort of consequence if they were to go independent while the UK is a member of the EU.

Now that this isn't the case, the deterrent is no longer there. It's in fact in the EU's best interest to roll out the red carpet for the Scots.

Jisgsaw

but they have to do it right? it's not like they would stop trading, crazy, it's like UK restarted into the trade/business game

If theUK doesn't manage to get specific trade deals with countries before leaving the EU, they'll have to fall back on the WTO deals.
Basically every country member of the WTO already has trade deals with all the others. It's jsut that they're far more limiting than specific negociated deals.

How about a united Ireland where religion has nothing to do with it, and is only the business of the individual, not of the state? We're not in the 1600's any more.

Ireland doesn't want Northern Ireland for economic reasons. It's not any more likely to happen now than it was before.

Scotland on the other hand, is a matter of when.

Bro, banter will unite us all now given the large swells of folks utterly depressed and worried.

You never know, for once us Scots might actually have well deserved empathy for a lot of the English! <3

I wouldn't feel too sorry for us English.

Other than London, which heavily distorts the figures, almost every area voted to Leave.

Tak3n

Banned
negative 5 trillion

Agree, it is the classic, lets keep going until we get the result we want, and if Leave vote 60% they will start another petition

The remain camp need to accept they lost, they had everything on their side to win and still lost, time to stop the salt

Hazzuh

I really sincerely feel like London should secede from the rest of the England and join the EU independently. I don't feel like I have any more in common with people in the North East than I do with people in Scotland or Ireland. The UK is dissolving, why stop at Scottish independence?

So what does this do? The UK is going to clamp down on immigration? I'm presuming it's mostly middle east immigration. Does this also mean the residents of the UK can't freely move/work throughout the EU?

And they no longer need to send billions to the EU? What were they getting in return for the billions?
Bolded has nothing to do with membership of the EU (which is a big problem in this kind of debate though with Farage emulating Nazi propaganda you could think otherwise). If you are refereeing to the Syria, Iraq and Afganistan those are refugees or asylum seekers which don't count (while they should register asylum in the first safe country they enter in I think the EU is right to try and tackle this better than Greece and Italy getting them all...as those are the first EU countries in the typical routes).

The immigration matter was a prime minster made a daft "no ifs no buts I'll get it down to tens of thousands by 2015" which isn't possible even without free movement (as even the non-EU migration far exceeded that ridiculous target). I don't blame Eastern Europe coming here to take advantage of employment opportunities in the lower end (there are record numbers of people in employment now). Sadly the media wanted to paint a myth of they get here then bring their families to leech on our benefits and steal our jobs (and yes it is true some warehouse jobs were conducted entirely in Polish and only advertised in Poland). The myth of public services can't take the numbers was furthered by the fact remain didn't want to answer that with the hard truth that "yeah this your prime minster speaking, actually that is the governments fault, 6 years of spending cuts leaves things like a shambles, huh?".

As for what happens next. That is all to be negotiated. Given vote leave were fond of a Norway style deal that would mean free movement is unchanged and we probably be expected to make contributions to the EU still (that kind of outcome would be all this for a worse deal and completely disillusion people even more). In terms of what we were getting for our membership, some sectors were heavily reliant on it (agriculture) while others really pushed above their weight (like research) and minus these rebates the membership fee still costs mores but it granted a lot of intangible benefits like visa free travel.

How much faith should we have in this? Didn't the polls from that week also show that the "Remain" votes was in the lead? I thought a few people said as much in these threads...?

Does anyone have polls from the last weeks? Do they align with the final result?

Outside of a few outliers, the polls were close and weren't far off from the final results.

Maledict

The EU actually deterred Scottish independence by telling Scotland that they'd face some sort of consequence if they were to go independent while the UK is a member of the EU.

Now that this isn't the case, the deterrent is no longer there. It's in fact in the EU's best interest to roll out the red carpet for the Scots.

No it really isn't. The EU isn't going to recognise a country unilaterally declaring itself independent like that in any way, shape or form - very few countries on earth will do. I'm absolutely positive that the EU would love Scotland to join, and if a legally binding referendum were held that voted for independence would absolutely roll out the red carpet - but that just won't happen. There's no appetite from any party ion Westminster apart from the SNP to agree to another referendum. So unless something weird happens where a minority government needs to pass something so desperately that they let Scotland become independent, then Scotland's hands are tied.

Those calling for a second referendum amuse me.
Asking the same question until you get the answer you want is really stupid.
If the overwhelming majority of your politicians and your people really wanted to remain the referendum wouldn't have happened in the first place.
It is done. You have to deal with it now.

I get what you mean, and you're right to a degree. But what's so weird about asking "are you sure"? a significant portion of the voting populace didn't vote, perhaps out of complacency. Maybe some other people changed their mind when seeing the ramifications. If the majority is really interested in leaving the EU, then why wouldn't we end up with the same result after a second vote?

It's weird to think about on a national scale, but it's not as if it isn't a sound idea, theoretically speaking.

But Scotland voted to remain in the UK first and if the UK then voted to leave the EU Scotland being part of the UK by proxy voted to leave the EU.

The next question I have is, will Scotland get a second vote? Saying we wanted to remain to be part of the EU and now we are not because of this vote.

You don't get a second vote. You are part of UK and UK as a whole choose to leave Europe.

Is ironic, but if Scotland would have voted for independence 1+ year ago, they would be in a much better possition to enter in the EU in a few years, rather than being dragged off the EU with UK.

Audioboxer

Other than London, which heavily distorts the figures, almost every area voted to Leave.

Well for those on NeoGAF then. Not so much feeling sorry, just empathy cause if us Scots can hit eject and remain in the EU it makes things even more depressing for Remain-England.

tfur

Considering how divisions in society seem to be the main reason why we're in this mess in the first place, I could do without another one between the young and old. I've seen some pretty disgusting articles like this one being written because of data like this being shoved in our faces.

I guess that other data point that is missing is... what percentage of each age group actually went out to vote.

Could this simply be a case of older people are more likely to vote?

Tak3n

Banned

My point exactly, look at the map, if Scotland was not voting it was a fucking landslide, the whole country apart from a few London suburbs want out...

If the media was not so London centric would not be seeing this reaction on TV.... come to a Yorkshire town and see if they feel they have been robbed

SomTervo

I think Britain's EU membership has always been a prickly subject. We've never fully embraced the union and over time large parts of England have become disillusioned by Brussels.

Don't really see how any of this is true

Scotland is was 100% remain region-wise

And the primary topic of contention for Leave voters was immigration, not the EU itself

Calamari41

41 > 38

I'm not sure I understand the analogy.

Isn't the issue not that Britain has voted to become a dictatorship, but rather that it has voted to become independent? And the concern is that Britain is not strong enough to survive independently? Isn't it almost the opposite of this gif?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
First voting tory then leaving europe, we need all the old people to die.

Don't forget those old people you are spitting on, were once young and idealistic too.

Then life happened and forced them to revise and reevaluate their perspective.

Acorn

No it really isn't. The EU isn't going to recognise a country unilaterally declaring itself independent like that in any way, shape or form - very few countries on earth will do. I'm absolutely positive that the EU would love Scotland to join, and if a legally binding referendum were held that voted for independence would absolutely roll out the red carpet - but that just won't happen. There's no appetite from any party ion Westminster apart from the SNP to agree to another referendum. So unless something weird happens where a minority government needs to pass something so desperately that they let Scotland become independent, then Scotland's hands are tied.
We can hold a vote regardless if they recognise it or not. They'll have poll tax riots x10 if they don't accept a yes.

Maledict

My point exactly, look at the map, if Scotland was not voting it was a fucking landslide, the whole country apart from a few London suburbs want out...

If the media was not so London centric would not be seeing this reaction on TV.... come to a Yorkshire town and see if they feel they have been robbed

No it wasn't. FFS why do you persist in this strange view of just looking at the size of a district to compare figures?

The vote in England was 53.4% leave, 46.6% remain. That's a close result, and indicates vast swathes of England that don't want to leave.

Why do you not understand that a simple map of the country tells you absolutely fuck all about how many people voted for something? That population density exists?

Don't forget those old people you are spitting on, were once young and idealistic too.

Then life happened and forced them to revise and reevaluate their perspective.

Leaving the EU to "become independent again and reclaiming what was once ours" seems like a far more idealistic idea than sticking with the EU and working on your issues.

The EU wasn't going to recognize a country declaring itself independent...if it was from an EU state member.

UK not being a EU member anymore and that becomes a non-problem. Scotland can become independent, start doing the preparations and in a few years fully become an EU member easily.

I'm not sure I understand the analogy.

Isn't the issue not that Britain has voted to become a dictatorship, but rather that it has voted to become independent? And the concern is that Britain is not strong enough to survive independently? Isn't it almost the opposite of this gif?

More like that the EU and its "evil regulations" were the only thing that kept the Tories from tearing down things like workers rights or consumer protection.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
My girlfriend is from north Wales and she was crying her eyes out this morning. Felt so betrayed.

Her mum voted leave, spouting absolute shit about immigration. Her mum works in the fucking NHS for christ's sake, and has for 30 years.

Shocking state of affairs

Can't blame her to be honest, everyone is really down in work today, my wife who works for the NHS says the same, really down a depressed mood. One of the girls here was really passionate about it and has totally kicked off today. A few of the out voters have also said they didn't expect it to kick off so much or to have had such a dramatic effect, I'm really not sure what the remain side have been doing for the last few months.

Audioboxer

We can hold a vote regardless if they recognise it or not. They'll have poll tax riots x10 if they don't accept a yes.

Just ignore it. The next weeks will be full of "the SNP can't do this/London won't give you a vote anyway" coming from I presume, Leave-England/Wales voters not wanting us to get our way. Ironically they should really be saying GTFO Scotland you idiots all voting Remain. They just can't let us go.

Calamari41

41 > 38
More like that the EU and its "evil regulations" were the only thing that kept the Tories from tearing down things like workers rights or consumer protection.

So change my statement to "not strong or intelligent enough to survive independently." Isn't the situation still pretty much the opposite of the gif?

SomTervo

Agree, it is the classic, lets keep going until we get the result we want, and if Leave vote 60% they will start another petition

The remain camp need to accept they lost, they had everything on their side to win and still lost, time to stop the salt

Losers/winners is all that matters here, ofc

The vote was very close. Is there a hard-and-fast rule about how close it has to be for re-votes?

Words are fine, remains the be seen what is going to happen. The EU-Canada trade deal for example. Years of negotiations between the two. Not Britain will not be part of it anymore and has to go at it alone after they leave and start the process again.

Crazy talk. USA and Canada will use the opportunity to provide the UK with very favourable trading deals.

Vagabundo

If Scotland votes for independence and its anything like the Bexit result there, then there is not a lot the UK can do, they will have to recognise it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom