• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickD

My point exactly, look at the map, if Scotland was not voting it was a fucking landslide, the whole country apart from a few London suburbs want out...

If the media was not so London centric would not be seeing this reaction on TV.... come to a Yorkshire town and see if they feel they have been robbed

I live in a Yorkshire town and I feel Robbed!!

This is a copy and paste from a comment a Friend of a Friend left on Facebook:

"Don't think it's so much racism as takin back wot's ours, not racist by any means but they're avin far too much say over our culture over ere, wunt be so bad if they wer told an made to abide by our rules so thank God wer out!!"

You can't argue with Ignorance (I tried, it basically ended with her using "educated" as a put down)

Congratulations, UK:

SilkyBoringHorsechestnutleafminer.gif

Trump in one side of the sea, this on the other. Yikes.
Damn, that's pretty perfect (and depressing).

Maledict

The EU wasn't going to recognize a country declaring itself independent...if it was from an EU state member.

UK not being a EU member anymore and that becomes a non-problem. Scotland can become independent, start doing the preparations and in a few years fully become an EU member easily.

It's not just about being an EU member. Regardless of whether the UK is in Europe or not, the EU won't recognise Scotland as independent based off a referendum that wasn't legally binding. Most countries won't - it takes you into that incredibly dangerous territory where every separatist movement on the planet gets recognition.

It's just international law and precedent at this time. The EU doesn't recognise the Crimea either.

Carl2291

Words are fine, remains the be seen what is going to happen. The EU-Canada trade deal for example. Years of negotiations between the two. Not Britain will not be part of it anymore and has to go at it alone after they leave and start the process again.
I'm ignorant on it, but I assume making trade deals with commonwealth countries will be both a priority for our government and easy to accomplish.

But like I said, I don't really know. Not looked into it. Would be happy for anyone to clarify.

Betty

Banned
Losers/winners is all that matters here, ofc

The vote was very close. Is there a hard-and-fast rule about how close it has to be for re-votes?

For matters such as this yes there should be something like a majority vote of 60 or 70% otherwise the vote isn't reached.

Spuck-uk

Banned
I feel like I'm getting lumped in with the Leave voters because I'm based in the North West. I absolutely hate seeing "This was a war between the North and the South" quotes. It's weird having this sense that I feel like I don't belong here. The conversations I've had with colleagues on the leave side have left me livid. Not because they voted leave, but because it was "because immigration" or "because Cameron" and have absolutely no substance behind them.

Same, except nobody I work with in the NW voted leave. A massive amount of people in the south voted leave.

Audioboxer

"Don't think it's so much racism as takin back wot's ours, not racist by any means but they're avin far too much say over our culture over ere, wunt be so bad if they wer told an made to abide by our rules so thank God wer out!!"

You can't argue with Ignorance (I tried, it basically ended with her using "educated" as a put down)

Problem with these kind of folks is "everything is ours".

Well for those on NeoGAF then. Not so much feeling sorry, just empathy cause if us Scots can hit eject and remain in the EU it makes things even more depressing for Remain-England.

If Scotland does leave the UK and join the EU I might think about getting my Scottish citizenship and moving up there!

Calamari41

41 > 38
interesting, that's a retreat from obama's previous position but also vague enough that it could mean anything.

we'll have to wait and see.

The right wing in the US is incredibly pro-UK and anti-EU. There will likely be a push from that side of the aisle for as favorable a trade deal as possible with them. The right wing media is currently pushing for an actual free trade deal. Obviously that's not the mainstream, but there will be political pressure for such a thing.

GamingKaiju

This should never have happened and I think Cameron knows it. This was just a stupid move to get a majority in power and now it has broken the country. He and he alone could have broken up the UK and possibly sent shock waves through Europe that we haven't seen yet.

I really hope the UK stays together; we might need each other more than ever.

Hope fully Labour get their act together and get a leader which gets votes and is able to repair the damage.

I call for a vote of no confidence in the govt and a GE to be called. Can we start a petition?

So change my statement to "not strong or intelligent enough to survive independently." Isn't the situation still pretty much the opposite of the gif?

No.
The point is that Liberty is dying because the UK has now given up many of its liberties. Not only the protection of the people by the EU, but also the right to have say in the regulations and laws of the EU.
And since so many people cheer for it, is why it's going down in "thunderous applause".

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Leaving the EU to "become independent again and reclaiming what was once ours" seems like a far more idealistic idea than sticking with the EU and working on your issues.

To which they'd probably answer its been over 40 years since we joined, we've given it a good go, and its still not working for us.

Tak3n

Banned
Losers/winners is all that matters here, ofc

The vote was very close. Is there a hard-and-fast rule about how close it has to be for re-votes?

it is all salt, it remain had won by the same amount we would not be hearing any of this, and Leave would be laughed off as lunatics if they asked for another referendum

Sax1031

Banned
interesting, that's a retreat from obama's previous position but also vague enough that it could mean anything.

obama's previous position was a lie to scaremonger the brits.

only an idiot would push the UK to the back of the list for trade negotiations.

I'm ignorant on it, but I assume making trade deals with commonwealth countries will be both a priority for our government and easy to accomplish.

But like I said, I don't really know. Not looked into it. Would be happy for anyone to clarify.
Might be, but even as a priority, that does not mean it is a simple process. Making a trade deal is more then just signing on the dotted line. These are not agreements that are ready to go. A lot of it needs to be negotiated and that takes time, multiple years at least.

Of course this all depends on the scope of the document. One for just one sector or type of goods would be easier then something for all goods.

it is all salt, it remain had won by the same amount we would not be hearing any of this, and Leave would be laughed off as lunatics if they asked for another referendum
And Leave voters would act exactly the same. We had Leave leaders say that even if they lost, the "battle" would go on.

Acorn

Just ignore it. The next weeks will be full of "the SNP can't do this/London won't give you a vote anyway" coming from I presume, Leave-England/Wales voters not wanting us to get our way. Ironically they should really be saying GTFO Scotland you idiots all voting Remain. They just can't let us go.
Yeah I don't know why right wingers are do desperate to keep us. Scared we do something social democratic and it works? Can't think of any other reason since we disagree with them on everything.

Geist-

I figured as much. Keeping the UK in the EU would have been the best, but the UK is still a massive economy and has been allies with the US for a very long time. Even if Brexit was a massively idiotic move, we can't just throw them under a bus.

Audioboxer

If Scotland does leave the UK and join the EU I might think about getting my Scottish citizenship and moving up there!

The more the merrier. We have plenty of fields and hills for the English to live on :p

Yeah I don't know why right wingers are do desperate to keep us. Scared we do something social democratic and it works? Can't think of any other reason since we disagree with them on everything.

Power game I presume. The enjoyment of dragging along others clearly not on the same side of your argument.

MGrant

"I'm not racist, I just wish I didn't have to see other cultures." Is she avin a laugh over ere?

Calamari41

41 > 38
No.
The point is that Liberty is dying because the UK has now given up many of its liberties. Not only the protection of the people by the EU, but also the right to have say in the regulations and laws of the EU.
And since so many people cheer for it, is why it's going down in "thunderous applause".

Wouldn't the Brexit people be the Separatists, if they were anybody in this analogy?

RiggyRob

For matters such as this yes there should be something like a majority vote of 60 or 70% otherwise the vote isn't reached.

There was a majority vote though - 50%+1 is a majority no matter how you look at it.

To which they'd probably answer its been over 40 years since we joined, we've given it a good go, and its still not working for us.

I don't think anyone would be able to say that.

Can they vote to rejoin the Union later when shit goes to hell in a hand basket?

My guess: Not in the near future. It's possible that a couple of decades down the line, the EU might be willing to let them back in, but definitely not any time soon. I sincerely doubt that the EU is going to take shit from the UK in any way.

Obviously, just a guess.

Wouldn't the Brexit people be the Separatists, if they were anybody in this analogy?

I don't know where the clip is from or what its context is within the story it's taking place in. I just was referring to the quote alone, and the context it was used in. I don't know if I interpreted it correctly of course.

aeolist

Banned
obama's previous position was a lie to scaremonger the brits.

only an idiot would push the UK to the back of the list for trade negotiations.

we have yet to see what the post-EU british economy will look like. there's every possibility that it really won't be worth the effort to go through the long and tortuous trade negotiation process just to get a deal with them.

Dr.Acula

Banned
No.

But how do you explain that in England ugly man was leader, but in gif, pretty lady is leader?

Nicktendo86

Unbelievable. I voted leave for reasons of sovereignty and because I do not agree with the direction if the EU with ever closer union. The answer for problems always seems to be more EU, which is not the answer.

Shocked and unbelievably happy today. The prophets of doom will be proved wrong, a cordial deal with the EU will be struck and the EU will be allowed to integrate further if it wants without us constantly getting in the way. Or it will collapse, either of those really.

The labour party are finished as well by the way. Totally disconnected from the traditional base in the north of England left behind and taken for granted by a party that can't get its head out of Islington. Ukip, if smart, will get a proper leader and will hoover up labour seats in the north.

American checking in here:

All these stories about Leave voters that didn't think their vote would actually matter: are they just idiots or was there some kind of campaigning from either side with this message? Or was it the press acting like Remain was a sure thing?

Audioboxer

Jeez, it's not the end of the world people. Crazy negativity in this thread.

Nothing is the end of the world... until it is the end of the world. When people are affected by something and worried, can you blame them?

Say that statement in a Trump thread on GAF if he becomes President "oh you guys, it's not the end of the world, crazy negativity..."

You can be both right, and "wrong" at the same time. Your observations are correct, but this is a big change for the UK. Expect big emotions.

Leave campaign would never had won if the EU didn't mismanage the Greece and immigration fiascos. And above that, as I said, it is a easy target to pin problems on, as it is a clusterfuck most people don't know about.

The EU definitively needs to work on its image, the administration has to become leaner and more transparent, and it must be decided if the union goes more towards a federal type of union, or remains a purely economical one, not the half one, half the other one we have right now. The current form doesn't work well, as was seen in the last two crisis.

Greece is a problem where the EU had too little power. They had no power over the fiscal policy of a member state and therefore couldnt do anything to prevent the crash. Once that happened several stability measures were taken. However at the end of the day you will need a fiscal union to prevent such thing

The immigration crisis is hardly EUs fault. The cause of it is the ISIS which is a late product of the iraqi war and the syrian crisis. Both events could have been handled better by the member states but the EU had no say in it. For the coordination of the refugees. Well the member states blocked to accept refugees as well and EU has little say in it. The solution here would be to have a european refugee law that sends refugees proportionally to member states rather than blocking them off at border states

Kabouter

Trade deals are not easy to accomplish. It takes a large amount of people and tends to take many years to negotiate a comprehensive trade agreement. The UK would have to negotiate dozens, and it certainly wouldn't be able to do many simultaneously. This all aside from the fact that many of the nations you would want a trade agreement with would first like to see what the economic relationship between Britain and the EU will be.

geordiemp

Are they banking on the EU to suffer greater harm and end up at the table with their tale between their legs? Or do they feel that the EU controls have strangled the economy and will directly offset the harm of the market uncertainty over the next two years?

Trade deals are not easy to accomplish. It takes a large amount of people and tends to take many years to negotiate a comprehensive trade agreement. The UK would have to negotiate dozens, and it certainly wouldn't be able to do many simultaneously. This all aside from the fact that many of the nations you would want a trade agreement with would first like to see what the economic relationship between Britain and the EU will be.

Heard on Radio that German and french are saying a free trade with UK is already being put up. You really think its just UK this effects ?

Germany and France are as keen as UK to have a free trade agreement imo. Done. Wish I could find a link, was on radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom