• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matty8787

none of that is going to change as long as businesses want to sell products to the EU, which the vast majority of them do

Of course but now they don't have to jump through hoops to sell to other markets which before they had to pass it by the member states.

Tigress

True, I certainly don't think Trump will win, but I would be lying if I didn't say days like today make me worry about what could happen in November. When I see things like "I didn't think we would actually leave, I just voted leave for the LULSZSZ" and I suddenly understand we have no shortage of those types here.

I have a friend voting for Trump cause he doesn't like Hillary and he doesn't think Trump will be effective at getting anything done anyways so at least it's not a vote for Hillary. He's also from the middle east of all things... (I'm not sure if he was born there and his parents moved here when he was a kid or if he was born here but I know his parents were).

Lime

http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...rms-special-relationship-with-uk-after-brexit

And amazingly immediately after Brexit he assures UK with special arrangement.

What a surprise.

Did you read the article you posted?

“It could be five years from now, 10 years from now before we were able to actually get something done,” Obama told the BBC. “The U.K. would not be able to negotiate something with the United States faster than the EU.”

Obama’s actions have drawn criticism from Republicans, who accused him of meddling in another country’s affairs.

Presumptive GOP presidential nominee Donald Trump, who sided with those wanting to leave, mocked the president for jumping into the debate.

"The world doesn't listen to him," Trump said during a trip to Scotland to promote a reopening of one of his golf courses.

KDR_11k

In simple terms, here's Germany's trade off:

Make no concessions to UK and make them jump through hoops like Norway & Switzerland do and risk what 10-20% of bilateral trade?

OR

Make concessions to UK and risk further referendums, a break-up of the EU and the Eurozone.
No more artificially low Euro to spur exports, no more sucking up demand from all over Europe.

You will implement EU regulations and you will contribute to the EU budget like Norway and Switzerland do. No fucking rebate this time either.

Additionally if the UK got the ability to be in the single market without having to adhere to all the rules it would have a competitive advantage that would damage the rest of the EU.

And besides, ignoring regulations would mean that consumers would be facing sub-standard products from Britain. That would be awful.

GHG

EU legislation on small business was a factor. The way they had to adhere to EU laws was ruining a lot of small business.

EU laws on employment, waste management, environmental regulations, product registration, health and safety, etc.

These were hard to adhere to for a small company.

It should be noted as well that you have to adhere to these regulations even if you don't export to the EU.

Flintty

I just don't have the energy to discuss it with my family (who all voted leave).

That's the thing though, there's no need to discuss it and delve into the reasons why. It happened, some people don't like it but you can't change what has happened. It's time for people to stop being divided and start asking the Government 'what are you going to do now?'. Civvies fighting amongst themselves, name calling and belittling will solve nothing.

I didn't say it would be easy.

Just that there's a balancing act between business interests and political ones, not simply the 'burn it all down' attitude many Remain voters are hoping(?) Germany will take to vindicate their decision.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36596060

Again if that really happens, what stops other countries from leaving?

it isn't a balancing act if you keep trade levels the same.

The reason people are saying doom and gloom is because even if a crap economy like Greece was to leave the EU, they'd crumble.

Lime

So, this petition is gaining a lot of traction (almost 150K signatures in 8 hours and it runs until the end of November). As it reached the 100K mark it sounds that the matter has to be discussed in the parliament...

jxb0igg9u8r.gif

E-phonk

Banned
We are not making any demands, we buy from Germany more than we export to you. Its up to everybody to be civil and play together, or are you one for retribution ?.

It's not that we don't want to play together, but we play differently with non EU nations; That's something you don't seem to grasp. If we didn't, what would stop other nations to abandon it?

Tak3n

Banned
That's a shame. 65 year olds having such an impact on a future they no longer participate in

and when these youngsters are 65 they will want a different future to the youngsters below them...

that is life, people change as you get older, does not mean you vote should carry less value...

ZenTzen

I voted to leave because the UK is not interested in the EU. We don't behave or act like European citizens, we don't feel like European citizens and we never will. The UK has god knows how many veto's and opt outs that basically says "hey there EU we are just here to flog shit you can keep all that crazy integration stuff to yourself thank you very much". The UK does NOT belong in the EU.

I also believe it is only a matter of time before it all comes to a head and we will lose all our lil veto's and opt outs as Europe forces through ever closer Union and it will come to a head one day with the EU will go "OK UK it is your turn now, integrate or GTFO".

By leaving now it is going to hurt (personally it would have been better if we had left before all that maastricht treaty crap) but I believe leaving now was our last chance to get out of the EU and still have a future for the UK. If we had stayed any longer we would have lost our window of opportunity to get out and still be viable as a country.

so your reasons are literally just nationalism

The EU Parliament does not hold the balance of power. The unelected EU Commission does.

All those regulations do not come from the EU comission.
It's true that the commision has more power overall , but the parliament is a regulator made of elected people whose purpose was to spend money wisely ..AND THEY did considering all those communities in Uk that got money from them , all those educationnal programs that tons of Uk students used , and all that research money and healthcare that was also injected into the Uk economy. The whole parliament ( elected people ) did that.

Not to mention that the president of the Eu comission is elected by .... the parliament

aeolist

Banned
Of course but now they don't have to jump through hoops to sell to other markets which before they had to pass it by the member states.

oh sure, small businesses can now make two versions of their products for the EU and for non-EU markets. that's definitely affordable and reasonable.

I was responding to quotes of people literally saying that they regretted their vote the next day.

And? They were free to vote what they please and how they please, with little information with no information, and they vote should count as much as other people. You can't protect people from themselves if they are stupid enough to harm themselves it is outside your own control, you can only provide them of a system that will make every voice be heard and represented in a fare way.

Complaining that democracy doesn't work because stupid/uninformed/racist people are allowed to vote is arguing for an aristocratic system rather than a democratic system.

Hazzuh

Nope this won't happen. The motion of no confidence is purely symbolic. It will probably push Corbyn to a leadership vote but the members will just vote him back in anyway. He has a lot of support among the wider labour party.

Rightfully so too. He was the most honest of all throughout the campaign. He said "Europe has very many problems but its better to stay in and reform it". Sounds correct. Also some people are using the fact that he isn't a conniving, game playing politician against him. Fuck that shit.

I agree he had a lot of support in the labour party itself. I am a member and many other people I know are members, I know many people who voted for him to be leader.

Regardless, I don't think it is enough to say he was honest. I agree that he was. That isn't enough unfortunately! I hardly saw him actually campaigning and most of the TV appearances he looked like a hostage victim. I had many many problems with the EU but that didn't mean that I didn't strongly want to remain! That didn't mean I couldn't make an enthusiastic case for remain. Corbyn gave the impression he really wanted to leave but wasn't allowed to come out and say it.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
How much of that can actually be pegged to Corbyn and not everything that happened with Labour before him?

He has to shoulder some of the blame. That's the price you pay for being the boss. It's clear this has been a Labour problem in the making for years though.

I don't know what British politics looks like going forward but I'd still much rather live in a idealistic Corbyn Britain than a bitter, resentful, racist shithole run by the right.

I really want him to just come and say THIS is what we're doing to win people back so we can move forward in a positive way. Just do something. we need someone to get behind before UKIP get a real foothold.

geordiemp

Did you read the article you posted?

Did you ? His comments after Brexit is VERY different to his April comments.

I know its hard to read an article which puts together his statement from April and the different one today.

This is what he said today

“The people of the United Kingdom have spoken, and we respect their decision,” Obama said in a statement.

“The special relationship between the United States and the United Kingdom is enduring, and the United Kingdom’s membership in NATO remains a vital cornerstone of U.S. foreign, security, and economic policy.”
Obama also lauded the EU for its efforts to “promote stability, stimulate economic growth, and foster the spread of democratic values and ideals across the continent and beyond.”

The president stressedthat both the U.K. and the EU “will remain indispensable partners,” even as they begin to negotiate their formal separation in the coming months.

Matty8787

oh sure, small businesses can now make two versions of their products for the EU and for non-EU markets. that's definitely affordable and reasonable.

Not just about making the product it is the legislation on how they had to operate and make the product.

and when these youngsters are 65 they will want a different future to the youngsters below them...

that is life, people change as you get older, does not mean you vote should carry less value...

Completely agree. Many 65-year-olds will be around for another 15 years or more yet, they've got every right to vote for the kind of country they want to live in.

EU legislation on small business was a factor. The way they had to adhere to EU laws was ruining a lot of small business.

EU laws on employment, waste management, environmental regulations, product registration, health and safety, etc.

These were hard to adhere to for a small company.

What kind of bullshit is that? SMEs were growing faster than as a whole for 10 years in the UK.
Helping small businesses is like one of the greatest thing done by the EU.

It's incredible how suicidial people can be like the majority of farmers were pro-Brexit. Fucking farmers who wouldn't even exist anymore without the subsidies from the EU.

Arksy

All those regulations do not come from the EU comission.
It's true that the commision has more power overall , but the parliament is a regulator made of elected people whose purpose was to spend money wisely ..AND THEY did considering all those communities in Uk that got money from them , all those educationnal programs that tons of Uk students used , and all that research money and healthcare that was also injected into the Uk economy. The whole parliament ( elected people ) did that.

The EU Parliament has no right to create laws. The EU Commission has the sole right to create laws. The EU Parliament can only pass, ask for amendments or reject a law. It can not repeal or amend a law once it is in place.

Edit: Also the Commission is elected by national governments not by the EU Parliament.

http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...rms-special-relationship-with-uk-after-brexit

And amazingly immediately after Brexit he assures UK with special arrangement.

What a surprise.

No word of that in the article.

Additionally if the UK got the ability to be in the single market without having to adhere to all the rules it would have a competitive advantage that would damage the rest of the EU.

And besides, ignoring regulations would mean that consumers would be facing sub-standard products from Britain. That would be awful.

Indeed. Also Norway & Switzerland would want better deals too.

Good. Emotions for many are in the gutter, but we have to keep going as people. No giving up.

I've tried all day but I can't hold out hope. I spent all day watching these buffoons drivel on only to be saying "We have no plan". I just know that my situation is one of the ones that's going to be hit hard, they've been trying to do it for long enough and now's the easiest time to sweep it all under the rug around the rest of the chaos. I'm hanging in there, but honestly I've never felt so much like I wanted to get away from this place, but I'm definitely stuck here for the ride.

Tigress

Also, older people do have some wisdom as history does repeat itself a lot so while they are resistant to change a lot of times and stuck in old ways, they also have a lot of experience seeing in their lifetime how things went. There is good with the bad.

Morat

Banned
He has to shoulder some of the blame. That's the price you pay for being the boss. It's clear this has been a Labour problem in the making for years though.

I don't know what British politics looks like going forward but I'd still much rather live in a idealistic Corbyn Britain than a bitter, resentful, racist shithole run by the right.

I really want him to just come and say THIS is what we're doing to win people back so we can move forward in a positive way. Just do something. we need someone to get behind before UKIP get a real foothold.

I agree with this.

Gattsu25

Banned
Did you ? His comments after Brexit is VERY different to his April comments.

I know its hard to read an article which puts together his statement from April and the different one today.

This is what he said today

None of that is saying that a UK specific trade agreement is going to backseat the trade agreement with the EU, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom