• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

deli2000

But don't you find it weird that what Leavers voted on were just what the UKIP wanted? Or Golden Dawn, Marie Le Pens, Donald Trump, Putin, Gert Wilders, etc.

Isn't that just a bit concerning for you?

This is why remain lost! You're not allowed to ask people to justify their opinions with semi-decent reasoning and a near-credible source. You're basically worse than Golden Dawn for doing so.

Lime

That damn meddlin' EU telling our right-winged government to enforce rights at work like equal pay, paid holiday, m/paternity leave!

Much has been said in recent weeks about the risk to workers’ rights if we vote to leave the European Union. Fears that many such rights at work – to equal pay, maternity and paternity leave, paid holiday and so on – are only sustained because the EU upholds them have been pooh-poohed by Leave campaigners. They say British businesses and any future government would never take these basic protections from its citizens.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...ceed-beecroft-report-employment-a7083746.html

SomTervo

Meeting's done, moving to Frankfurt by years end.

Not even pissed or angry any more, just resigned to the reality of the situation and looking at the few positives, it opens up the opportunity for me to let my house out and create an additional income, so that's nice and those of us who are moving will be helped to relocate, so it's not the end of the world.

Still, would have preferred to stay in the UK...

Jesus christ, MQ.

Good luck.

PJV3

Not even pissed or angry any more, just resigned to the reality of the situation and looking at the few positives, it opens up the opportunity for me to let my house out and create an additional income, so that's nice and those of us who are moving will be helped to relocate, so it's not the end of the world.

Sorry dude.

Acorn

JAPNUHW.jpg
Arggh so true.

I've already got people on Facebook posting a snapshot of the FTSE 100, laughing away all of the worries/predictions - thinking it's all over before it even started.

I'll admit that I know slightly more than nothing when it comes to markets (although I've got a desire to learn now!), but they're being incredibly short-sighted right?

Lime

This is why remain lost! You're not allowed to ask people to justify their opinions with semi-decent reasoning and a near-credible source. You're basically worse than Golden Dawn for doing so.

what? No, I am legitimately asking you how you feel about the likes of the ones I mentioned (Le Pens, Wilders, etc.) are applauding the decision to leave?

Sorry to hear that.

But please take me with you.

MUnited83

For you.
Glad your not in power mate, Federal states of EU people showing their true dictatorial colours. Wow.

Even posts about crawling back . Fuck me, really.

With views like that I am glad we are leaving. Good luck.
you have absolutely no idea what "dictatorial" means.

Over 75% of Under 25's voted to Remain

Thanks Baby Boomers
At the polling station I was at there were several people who drove their kids in and essentially told them which way to vote. So it's possible that a chunk of that 25% were zealous parents coercing their children into voting leave.

Lima

Herzlich Willkommen in Deutschland mein Freund.

In all seriouness, I'm trully sorry for you.

I personally think there should be a maximum age limit, for example people over the age of 70 can't vote.

I understand what you're saying but where does it stop?

I've seen people on here saying uneducated people didn't have the mental capacity to make an informed decision - are we going to start taking the vote away from them too?

We have idiots, racists, homophobes, old people, young people - all with their own biases and agendas.

Not everyone will make a rational decision, but that's ok. It's not a perfect system but we shouldn't take the vote away from anyone.

Women fought like hell for their right to vote and now we are talking about stopping old people? It's mad.

I also saw someone make a case for mandatory voting earlier on, but no one should be forced to vote either.

Everyone should be able to vote - or not - and we've got to respect their opinion. I can understand people's frustration when they feel a certain age group or questionable campaign picks up votes, but it's just the way it is.

Again, I say this as someone who finds himself on the losing side today.

*I'd just like to add that in light of recent posts, I hope anyone who is affected lands on their feet (could be me yet!).

Moosichu

Which industry are you in?

Glad your not in power mate, Federal states of EU people showing their true dictatorial colours. Wow.

With views like that I am glad we are leaving. Good luck.

What the fuck are you talking about?
How is that dictatorship? You can obviously just sit there by yourself and trade with your dolls at the little coffee table, but you won't do that obviously. And what I described above is just how it's going to go down.

Also since you refrained from actually arguing on the topic at hand, I assume you conceded to the fact that it is more important to Germany to keep the EU alive rather than giving the UK preferential EFTA status.

SomTervo

Even more people just on BBC news not knowing why they voted leave.

The only real winners in this referendum were yellow journalism and the coffers of BJ, IDS and MG (who must have stood to gain something personally as there's no logical reason to push for EU escape).

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

Can I tag along?

In all seriousness, very sorry to hear this.

GHG

If it's any consolation Frankfurt is really nice. Hopefully you'll have a great time.

Being a British expat and being able to pick and choose when you go back isn't so bad :) .

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They do have a good point there, even though Corbyn fucked up.

this should have been a cross party campaign, not 'sit quietly by the sidelines and watch the tories implode'. While it might be nice to score some free political points that way, you risk leaving labour supporters without clear support and information to help them decide how to vote. He risked the country for possible political gain.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

Wait, is this because of the vote? Damn that was fast

DiGiKerot

Can someone explain to me why people would vote to leave the EU? Aside from the whole point that everyone who voted to leave suffers from Xenophobia and racism, I'd like to see all possible angles to what would have caused people to vote the way they did.

A lot of it came down to the concept of sovereignty and upset at European laws and legislation being applied to the UK without any apparent say in the matter (which isn't entirely true - lots of misinformation going around).

Part of that feeds into the perception of people of a certain working age that these EU legislations lead to the downfall of the industries that they worked in, particularly with certain types of previously large-scale manufacturing or manual labour industries, like mining, construction and fishing. Normally the perception is that they were all massively in favour of the rest of the EU at their expense, therefore crippled the domestic industries.

Some smaller to mid-size businesses consider at lot of the things being imposed upon them being overly restrictive, burdensome, or expensive on their businesses. This is a particular issue for those who do the entirety of their business within the UK, as many of these legislations were to do with enforcing standards or other matters that are required to prevent one particularly country from exploiting the European Free Trade Area in a fashion that would be unfair to those operating in other countries in the area.

The other argument is that the EU block is too slow at negotiating trade deals as a unit, meaning that, as other global markets are growing exponentially in-size, our ability to negotiate advantageous agreements is being stunted by having to be done in conjunction with the EU block.

Not that I personally agree with many of these points myself - most of those industries suffered from other factors, including increased globalisation outside of Europe and modernisation of process that would have reduced employment in those areas regardless, and much of what the leave campaign brand "Red Tape" are things that stop employers exploiting employees, consumer information and consumer protection, and environmental protections - all things I'm kind of for, really.

There was a lot of deliberate misinformation spread around about the actual process in the EU, not just in the referendum period, but over the last few decades by much of our tabloid press. Whilst there are arguments to be made about how business is handled there, the overwhelming narrative that has been put forth by some parties is that the entire process is dictated in full by five faceless bureaucrats that no-one has any selection and control over, which isn't entirely true in somewhat significant ways.

Also something about European courts overruling our ability to deport people or something.

(I voted Remain, for what it's worth)

-edit- On the immigration front, I should also probably say that some folks thought that it was unfair on non-EU immigration, and that we should be restricting EU movement in order to make unskilled immigration more difficult whilst allowing those in skilled fields an equal chance of easier entry.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member

Welcome aboard!

Zoink

Well the FTSE closed higher (6,138.69) than it did a week ago (6,021.10), so much for the doom and gloom. Kinda bummed as I was hoping to pick up some cheap shares on Monday.

chadskin

2405160_FULL-LND.jpg

Respect

Sorry friend....best of luck to you.

How long did people promote this election?

This is the crazy thing. I remember posting on here a while ago that I was pretty ignorant on everything but I took the fucking time to research both sides before the vote.

People are nuts for not finding out about something so huge.

The EU Parliament has no right to create laws. The EU Commission has the sole right to create laws. The EU Parliament can only pass, ask for amendments or reject a law. It can not repeal or amend a law once it is in place.
That's why it's a regulator.
Edit: Also the Commission is elected by national governments not by the EU Parliament.
The head of the commission is elected by the parliament
The current head "Juncker" of the commission was elected with 423 votes out of 699 by the EU parliament ..after rejecting 3 people before that..

zoukka

I recall from the news that young people generally voted to stay but the voting activity was very low among young people.

Arials

Do you work for JLB Credit?

deli2000

what? No, I am legitimately asking you how you feel about the likes of the ones I mentioned (Le Pens, Wilders, etc.) are applauding the decision to leave?

Stop asking me how i feel about things! I'm not racist! Why are all remain supporters calling me racist!

I'm being sarcastic.

BahamutPT

I've already got people on Facebook posting a snapshot of the FTSE 100, laughing away all of the worries/predictions - thinking it's all over before it even started.

I'll admit that I know slightly more than nothing when it comes to markets (although I've got a desire to learn now!), but they're being incredibly short-sighted right?

FTSE 100 is only marginally up from a 3-month window perspective. Way down in a 1-year perspective.
And even then, the GBP is waaaaay low at the moment. One can't just look at FTSE without weighing that variable.

Irminsul

Jesus christ, MQ.

Good luck.

Sorry dude.

Frankfurt isn't my favourite city, but it isn't that horrible.

Okay, I don't want to make light of your situation, MQ. It's never nice if you're forced to relocate due to your job.

But if it helps, you're always free to ask GermanGAF about how to survive live in Germany if you have any questions.

That happens both ways...
These were farmers who were quite vocal about how they feel to the point of being close that I asked them to leave (wearing campaign pins and talking loudly inside the polling station is pretty dumb). You're right but I don't think that's what happened in my area.

Xando

Welcome to the land of Beer, Bratwurst and Football

Actually young people can more easily emigrate and start over so they are less stuck with this decision than people are making out. Especially if they are the ones with a great education who would benefit more from the EU anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom