• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fritz

Meeting's done, moving to Frankfurt by years end.

Not even pissed or angry any more, just resigned to the reality of the situation and looking at the few positives, it opens up the opportunity for me to let my house out and create an additional income, so that's nice and those of us who are moving will be helped to relocate, so it's not the end of the world.

Still, would have preferred to stay in the UK...

Sorry mate. Rest assured Frankfurt isn't too bad though. Think Oxford with a banking district.

Majukun

Actually young people can more easily emigrate and start over so they are less stuck with this decision than people are making out. Especially if they are the ones with a great education who would benefit more from the EU anyway.

actually one of the worst part of this is that young people CAN'T freely emigrate anymore
no more free market of goods and labour for the UK

SomTervo

If it's any consolation Frankfurt is really nice. Hopefully you'll have a great time.

Being a British expat and being able to pick and choose when you go back isn't so bad :) .

He'd have to secure work back here, first. It's not as easy as "pick and choose".

And he just got forced to move a thousand fucking miles by a misinformed public referendum. WTF?

PJV3

Well the FTSE closed higher (6,138.69) than it did a week ago (6,021.10), so much for the doom and gloom. Kinda bummed as I was hoping to pick up some cheap shares on Monday.

Cameron falling on his sword means we are probably at least 4 months from acting on the vote.
So 2 and a half years of ups and downs depending how negotiations go.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

Not even pissed or angry any more, just resigned to the reality of the situation and looking at the few positives, it opens up the opportunity for me to let my house out and create an additional income, so that's nice and those of us who are moving will be helped to relocate, so it's not the end of the world.

I live close to Frankfurt, so if you want to meet :D!

Feorax

Kinda glad I'm going to be leaving this behind, the shit will hit the fan when places like Cornwall, Liverpool, etc stop receiving EU funds and the UK government isn't willing to step in...because there's no way in hell they will.

They won't be able to afford to. We had it pretty great, UK. We had it great...

Liverpool is doing pretty well for itself these days. That's only because of the EU starting the process off though.

I'll take this opportunity to remind people that a conservative government in the last 30 years was not above isolating a major city in this country and starting a "managed decline". The idea of these fuckwits having more power is more terrifying than anything.

SomTervo

Actually young people can more easily emigrate and start over so they are less stuck with this decision than people are making out. Especially if they are the ones with a great education who would benefit more from the EU anyway.

How the heck did you come to this conclusion? This is just so wrong. In every way.

More fun to compute indeed.

so your reasons are literally just nationalism

Yes fine I am a horrible Nationalist scum bag if that is your take from this. The UK and majority of the EU want completely different things. This break whilst painful will allow the UK to do what it wants and the EU to do what it wants.

Define "viable". It seems almost as if your rationale was mistaken since your currency is plummeting. At the same time, I'm curious to know as to why the UK is so against assimilating. I understand the viewpoint shared by other posters saying that it was pitched as a better way to help the UK's economy and that EU laws and rules were hindering small businesses, but I don't get the mindset posted above.

Viable as in still a country and not a province of a United States of Europe. Yes the pound is tanking, how can it not we just decided to end a 43 year relationship. Everyone is shocked about it, hell I am shocked about it and I voted for it. So naturally there are going to be financial implications for this momentous step. Yes in the short to medium term this is going to hurt the UK a lot. However I believe in the long term the UK will come out of this and will be OK.

As for why we never became "European" fuck knows. It is probably a whole host of reasons. The mindset of the UK has always been "we are in the EU to flog shit and that is that". I personally have never felt European, I certainly do not consider myself an EU citizen and I would wager a lot of people in the UK feel the same way.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware

How so? This is terrible for young people who have skills but can't get a job in the UK.
When UK is outside EU, its citizens will need a work visa to work in any EU country.
These are hard to get unless you work in skilled industry.

Turkey is after buying its way into visa free travel through the migrant crisis.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Miles now has to relocate to another country and (when the exit happens) can only stay there for as long as he is allowed.
I'm so sorry mate.

"You're going to match all that ERDF and ESF funding, right?"

Vote Leave:
II7kVfO.jpg

Rodelero

That's truly fantastic.

It's okay young people. Yes, once again the nearly retired and retired have decided your futures, and yes, once again they seem to have no interest whatsoever in your interests... but on the up side you can always leave.

Leave your friends, family, home, and country behind. It's really a win win when you think about it. The best thing about this lunacy is that, if all the young, highly educated, and liberal people DO leave the country, it's going to be even more screwed!

actually one of the worst part of this is that young people CAN'T freely emigrate anymore
no more free market of goods and labour for the UK

If you are young and have a great education and career ahead of you it is not as hard to emigrate. People often move to places like Canada or Australia and they are not part of the EU. I can't count the life options open to this sort of person that many poor leave voters just don't have.

oti

Banned

Willkommen. We have Bratwurst.

Go_Ly_Dow

Labour has been harping on about the crisis of high inequality in the North, lack of investment in infrastructure and wage stagnation for a long time now.

I'm curious as to why Labour stronger in the north feel the party doesn't resonate with them any longer? It's on the party's agenda.

GHG

He'd have to secure work back here, first. It's not as easy as "pick and choose".

And he just got forced to move a thousand fucking miles by a misinformed public referendum. WTF?

Um... I just pick and choose when I take my vacation dates to go back to the UK. I run my own business so it's obviously much easier for me now but when I worked for other businesses it was as simple as allocating my holiday allowance as follows:

A week for Easter
A couple of weeks in the summer
A week for Christmas

Done. So I don't know what you're getting at.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
If you are young and have a great education and career ahead of you it is not as hard to emigrate. People often move to places like Canada or Australia and they are not part of the EU. I can't count the life options open to this sort of person that many poor leave voters just don't have.
So the people not well off get fucked the most is what you're saying

Mimosa97

Are you a british citizen ?

SomTervo

So basically what you're saying is that after Brexit, the fact that only the top .01% of young Brits will be in the privileged position of being able to secure time-limited Visas to live elsewhere in the EU is a good thing, whereas the previous situation of any% of young brits being able to live anywhere in the EU for as long as they wanted was worse?

OK

nOoblet16

Not any more.
So basically what you're saying is that after Brexit, the fact that only the top .01% of young Brits will be in the privileged position of being able to secure time-limited Visas to live elsewhere in the EU is a good thing, whereas the previous situation of any% of young brits being able to live anywhere in the EU for as long as they wanted was worse?

OK

They still have freedom of movement, it will be a couple of years before any change happens and it most likely won't affect immigrants already settled in.
Plus I am betting my money on freedom of movement to stay despite it being a major factor in making the Leave camp win, simply due to the fact that if Britain want access to the EU market like Norway and Switzerland they have to accept free movement or else they don't get any access, EU isn't going to give them their cake and let them eat it too.

Makes me rethink all those "that's how democracy works" and "everyone should vote" posts. There is a portion of the population who has no idea what they're doing.

Who knows what they're doing? People are making mistakes all over from forecasting interest rates to foreign policy initiatives where the aim is to overthrow a ruthless dictator. There are a lot people out here with/without credentials making terrible decisions. Not just ignorant racists and bigots who want to take a piece of land back. Dummies should have a seat at the table just like everybody else.

So you're saying seventeen million people are all dumb, and racist? Because they didn't agree with your point of view?
Just because 17 million is a big number, doesn't mean it's unrealistic.

When you take into consideration that the there seems to be 2 main reasons behind voting for leave:

1) ignorant or misinformed of the facts
2) lashing out because of being mistreated by our own government

Both of those reasons deserve to be criticised since neither basis takes into consideration researched facts. Instead you have people listening to Bullshit claims of £350m per week etc or blaming the EU for things that they aren't actually in control of.

Is the misinformed opinions their fault? Not entirely since our media are disgustingly biased and pushes agendas constantly but it is their fault for taking this at face value and not doing any further reading.

ittoryu

Can I ask you where do you work mate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom