• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
none of that is going to change as long as businesses want to sell products to the EU, which the vast majority of them do

I think this was a part of the problem. A lot of (most?) small businesses don't deal with the EU, they just service their local area. Businesses that trade with Europe tend to base themselves in cities or near transport hubs, (one reason why cities voted to remain).
This meant 'Leave' were constantly wheeling out local business owners in small towns who could claim that the EU regulations were ruining their business.
Normally, I'd be sure that the UK is just as able to fuck things up with red tape as any Eurocrat, but I have a worry that BoJo and his right-ring Tory neolibs will do a full baby and bathwater removal of vast swathes of regulation in the name of cutting "red tape".

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
@BBCPeterHunt
The Queen will address the Scottish Parliament next Saturday

The queen will address Scottish parliament? What the heck
@BBCPeterHunt
The first time that the Queen will be seen in public, after the EU referendum, will be on Monday in Northern Ireland.

Before that she'll be in Northern Ireland. I guess she doesn't want to be known as the last queen of the UK.

Actually young people can more easily emigrate and start over so they are less stuck with this decision than people are making out. Especially if they are the ones with a great education who would benefit more from the EU anyway.
Young people, who mostly have little money, do certainly not have more ability to emigrate. And certainly not when leaving the union that makes it possible to easily work in another country.

elty

I supposed this would be the equivalent of Donald Trump winning, except Trump will be gone in 8 years at worst.

Majukun

If you are young and have a great education and career ahead of you it is not as hard to emigrate. People often move to places like Canada or Australia and they are not part of the EU. I can't count the life options open to this sort of person that many poor leave voters just don't have.

not every young man can have a great education..someone is bound to be less of a special snowflake than others,especially when you are talking about millions of them

If you are young and have a great education and career ahead of you it is not as hard to emigrate. People often move to places like Canada or Australia and they are not part of the EU.

If you have a clearly defined trade, maybe. I work in project support at a local authority. Please tell me how easy it will be to move/work abroad now, if I wanted to?

I've considered saving for a couple years and doing a Masters at somewhere like Maastrict, but that plan's probably a pipe dream now. (Well, a €11,000 extra one in any case)

necrosis

was really not anticipating this result (i am an american fwiw)

congrats to UK baby boomers on completely destablizing your country & its economy for no real reason

SomTervo

Um... I just pick and choose when I take my vacation dates to go back to the UK. I run my own business so it's obviously much easier for me now but when I worked for other businesses it was as simple as allocating my holiday allowance as follows:

A week for Easter
A couple of weeks in the summer
A week for Christmas

Done. So I don't know what you're getting at.

We're not talking about fucking holidays, mate. He will be living away from home on a permanent contract. He can't just hop home whenever he likes. It'll a few days of borrowed time throughout the year. He has been FORCED into being in this situation. The alternative is to quit his job to keep his freedom, which he obviously doesn't want to do.

The thing about all of this, is I had already become increasingly disillusioned with this country before all this. Being the Son of second generation West Indian immigrants, all I've seen over the last decade and a half that almost every reason my parents and grandparents came to this country being set alight due to labour incompetence and conservative greed.

I have very little in the way of savings, no plan and nowhere else in the world that I have strong enough links to make an easy exit.

But I swear as all is holy, I'm gone. I've had enough with this country and its rulership. I have been given no reason to feel proud or better off as a British citizen and my only reason to stay one has been fear of the unknown and interia.

But I will be fucking damned if I'm going to struggle in this country for the next 40 years for no fucking real reason. If life is going to be made this hard for me here, I may as well move overseas and struggle while at least growning as a person from new people and experiences.

Fuck England. I'm out.

Beefy

Actually young people can more easily emigrate and start over so they are less stuck with this decision than people are making out. Especially if they are the ones with a great education who would benefit more from the EU anyway.

Nope I am screwed. I have a low paying job, having been out of work for 8yrs due to mental illness issues. Still not over them. If I lose my job ( I think I will) I won't be getting a new one.

1776movement-1466782808766_zpsdgz1yywu.jpg
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Brexit is 1860, not 1776.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
EU is rushing to trigger article 50. If parliament wants to stop it from being legally binding, they need to act soon.

What industry is it that people move from UK to other parts of EU for work? I'm in healthcare and have seen the opposite, big time but can't say I've seen a doctor says they're off to work in Spain for a better life or some shit. A few stockbrokers I know are in Hong Kong which has fuck all to do with EU but yeah, what jobs are people working in other parts of EU that they would not get paid better for here in the UK?

Madchad

EU is rushing to trigger article 50. If parliament wants to stop it from being legally binding, they need to act soon.

Where are you getting this information from ? All i have read from BBC is that there are currently 2 camps one that wants to rush one that wants to take it slow they are not united on the matter.

aliengmr

Cameron falling on his sword means we are probably at least 4 months from acting on the vote.
So 2 and a half years of ups and downs depending how negotiations go.

Seems to me the more time there is to allow this to sink in will probably be for the best. There's going to be economic uncertainty regardless.

Either people start warming to the idea, maybe see a light at the end of the tunnel, or it looks much worse and folks decide leaving was a bad idea. 4 months may not be long enough, but it's better than nothing.

Cameron seems to have left open the slightest chance that people in the UK end up wanting to stay before the process is officially begun.

IMBored

After having a meeting to work 6 months in the UK yesterday, today's events made me reconsider. A shame because the devalued currency would make my euro salary worth more :(

At least it's fun to watch all of this, Brittany truly is the greatest comedy factory of the world.

SuperSah

Banned

Yup, EU is pissed and wants us gone now and not later.

Also, I unfortunately doubt Cameron will reverse the decision. It's a democracy and sadly Leave had won. If he was to reverse it, then lord knows the unrest which will arise because of it.

Mimosa97

What industry is it that people move from UK to other parts of EU for work? I'm in healthcare and have seen the opposite, big time but can't say I've seen a doctor says they're off to work in Spain for a better life or some shit. A few stockbrokers I know are in Hong Kong which has fuck all to do with EU but yeah, what jobs are people working in other parts of EU that they would not get paid better for here in the UK?

Professional wanker

Kabouter

Also, I unfortunately doubt Cameron will reverse the decision. It's a democracy and sadly Leave had won. If he was to reverse it, then lord knows the unrest which will arise because of it.

It's not about being pissed. It's about making the period of uncertainty last as short as possible.

Maledict

Is there any realistic chance at all of that happening?

Nope, none at all. The conservatives don't dare and Cobyn has the spine of a jellyfish. The SNIP and Lib-demos will vote against it, but unless a party comes out boldly in favour of staying the EU and wins a mandate at the general election it's a done deal.

Uzzy

Only saving grace is that it's not legally binding. So hopefully parliament will go against it and not trigger Article 50.

Joke post right? I know the EU has always hated democracy when it doesn't go the way they want, but I'd like to think that we here in Britain can accept the will of the people.

RK9039

Greens suggested earlier that a MP vote can be a possibility. But who knows.

The labour and conservative government have done alot to both devalue a good education and create significant financial barriers to entry.

aeolist

Banned
I think this was a part of the problem. A lot of (most?) small businesses don't deal with the EU, they just service their local area. Businesses that trade with Europe tend to base themselves in cities or near transport hubs, (one reason why cities voted to remain).
This meant 'Leave' were constantly wheeling out local business owners in small towns who could claim that the EU regulations were ruining their business.
Normally, I'd be sure that the UK is just as able to fuck things up with red tape as any Eurocrat, but I have a worry that BoJo and his right-ring Tory neolibs will do a full baby and bathwater removal of vast swathes of regulation in the name of cutting "red tape".

no, i mean that as part of any new trade agreements the UK will likely have to abide by EU product regulations anyway. even if a business wants to sell strictly local products their government will be forced to apply those rules as long as they want to trade with the EU.

and yes, that can be onerous for small businesses but what people are bad at realizing is that it's far better for the economy as a whole to have free trade. the fact that it's benefiting the wealthy elites disproportionately is a problem created by the UK government, not the EU.

So, this petition is gaining a lot of traction (almost 150K signatures in 8 hours and it runs until the end of November). As it reached the 100K mark it sounds that the matter has to be discussed in the parliament...

I can only hope this is a lifeline or at least prompts a conversation around the whole thing - I stand by the fact I think a lot of people voted with misinformation.

A confirmation vote with more information around the reprocessions would be interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom