• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Sam

I'm surprised to see anything remotely positive about the vote to leave in this thread.

So many experts on GAF saying the world is about to end because over half the country chose to exercise their democratic right to vote out of the EU. I'm sure they are right because there are so many of them in this thread.

We cower before your clearly intimidating level of expertise and incredible ability to not come across as extremely condescending.

Turnbl

I'm still a little shocked by the result and just need to formulate a few thoughts on a web page because hey that's what we do right?

I didn't think a decision of this magnitude should be left to a public vote in the first place. Even more astounded at a political miscalculation like this by Cameron (from a him being a snake point of view).

All I have known in my lifetime is membership of the EU. I'm well aware what democracy is and fully accept the majority vote but I'm not sure in this case what a 52/48 decision (either way) proves except a completely broken nation - by age, by class, by beliefs, by intelligence, by culture, by geography. It seems like a protest sledgehammer has been used to break an immigration nut.

I also have some sense that there is some kind of X-Factor mood to the vote - seemingly disposable yet in reality a weight of decision not sensed or maybe even understood.

The political chain reaction of losing 2 party leaders seems extreme in the least. The retired 65+ vote can sit happy in their gardens of their owned houses, eating their fish 'n' chips harking back to a time lost. The rest of us will have to deal with the job market and interest rates, the economic fallout yet to be seen.

England has struggled with a unified identity during my lifetime - a fractured mess of pride, nostalgia and embarrassment, the great and the nasty. But I don't recognise my country today. My first action at 5am was to google immigration requirements for Canada.

I feel Johnson's bluster is carefuly manipulated to make him see far less dangerous than he is.

Don't get me wrong, the man has serious flatulence of the brain, alot of incredibly intelligent people do. But I'd wager that half the time he is acting that daft on purpose.

I'm surprised to see anything remotely positive about the vote to leave in this thread.

So many experts on GAF saying the world is about to end because over half the country chose to exercise their democratic right to vote out of the EU. I'm sure they are right because there are so many of them in this thread.

You're quoting an apparently suspended UKIP member. What exactly were you expecting to hear out of them?

It will go to an election right? I honestly don't have faith in the country regardless to do the right thing and not to vote for Boris but they will.
No, the party members will decide. After all, you never vote for who is actually the leader of the country. You vote for the party, or more specifically your local MP.

The real test will be if the winner can command majority amongst a split party.

oti

Banned

So all those economic and political experts who advised against Brexit were just some internet board posters too?
I bet they were anime avatars!

Sarek

From Suzanne Evans' Facebook page, that someone just shared.

I think everyone half sensible knows brexit isn't going to be the end of the world. Brexit isn't probably going to benefit the UK economy, but if the GDP is couple per cent lower 2030 (about the average of predictions made in this FT article) than it would be in the EU, most people will probably won't even notice it. Of course in an economy as big as UK's even two per cent loss would still be tens of billions yearly though.

Tak3n

Banned
all kicking off

The UK's vote to leave the EU has sparked demands from far-right parties for referendums in other member states.
France's National Front leader Marine Le Pen said the French must now also have the right to choose.
Dutch anti-immigration politician Geert Wilders said the Netherlands deserved a "Nexit" vote while Italy's Northern League said: "Now it's our turn".

kharma45

It happens after any major political vote, particularly one as important as this.

And this is coming from an incredibly disappointed Remainer.

True. The U.K. was doomed in 2010, doomed again in 2015 and now doomed again if I was to believe half of what I read online.

I know what the act entails to get the term cut short and getting what, 430 MPs or so, is a lot harder than you're making out. Don't be naive.

Really? Under those circumstances? The incumbent actively wants an election to gain a working mandate, the opposition wants to kick them out and gain power? Labour would have to be riding pretty high in the opinion polls to scare the Tories away from their Whips and voting no to dissolution.

To try going ahead without after Gordon Browns failed parliament would be political suicide come the current next scheduled general election in 2020. It'd be 3-4 years of the press haranguing them for not having a mandate to govern form the people.

I call bollocks on prices increasing 10x in 10 years!

More like 100x
Pfff.. I remember going to Paris in 2001 with 1 Franc in my wallet and having a 3 course meal and I still got some money back!

France leaving is completely ludicrous, who will subsidize their entire angriculture then ?
Canada?

Oh and congratulations to GB on being single again. Now on to political Tinder. Swipe right for Putin.

For decades, the major political parties throughout the developed world have been cutting taxes, chipping away at social services and public investments, advocating privatization, deregulating finance, and generally satisfying a small number of economic ideologues and a very large number of delighted private corporations. They've allowed transnational capital to run roughshod over just about everyone and everything else — cutting them every possible deal and extending them every possible advantage at the expense of ordinary taxpayers, labor unions, education, healthcare, social welfare, you name it. Transnational capital has rewarded them by moving anything that can be done more cheaply out of the developed world, and by doing contortions to avoid paying taxes back into the countries in which they hawk their goods and services.

The justification has often been that we can't afford our old ideas about society, that we all have to tighten our belts; meanwhile, trillions of dollars languish in offshore accounts. We've been told that the complete failure to regulate financial instrumentation or the housing market was somehow our fault, that government is wasteful and corrupt, that it can't do anything, that public services are always inefficient, that the welfare state is making us all poorer, that bureaucracy is always bad for business, that equitable federalism is impossible, that losses must be public, that gains must be private, that trade between nations is a zero-sum game, that only a few people can be wealthy, and only if they work hard.

Meanwhile, the bitter legacy of colonialism, coupled with a century and half of industrialization that has demanded repeated foreign misadventures and sustained environmental devastation, has turned the parts of the world that we depend on to fuel our batshit society into a cauldron of war, suffering, and extremism. Now those brown people who used to do our bidding for pennies are coming here, often because we have ruined their homeland (directly, through war; indirectly, through climate change), and they are the problem. We simply can't afford them. No, don't crunch the numbers. Don't check our figures. Don't ask about the offshore accounts. We're telling you: They are the problem. Getting rid of these dusky foreigners will bring back the industries we gutted, the services we dismantled, and the jobs we sold. Things will be just like the old days. Promise! But to do that, we have to try some more austerity, and we have to get rid of the bureaucrats. It's the only way.

This is the post of the thread.

Well done.

Can I ask you where do you work mate?

I'd rather not post where I work for obvious reasons, but the decision to move to Frankfurt had been talked about and been in the pipeline since the last G.E. The leave vote took it from being something that might eventually happen in a few years to something that needs to be 'done' sooner rather than later.

The intern situation is fluid, from what I understand (still mostly office whispers) we won't be taking any on this Autumn but that might change next year. The thing about this and why I keep mentioning it is that I got my start through being an intern and to know there won't be any taken on this year (I really do hope that changes next year. I expect it will if things don't do south in a really shitty way) is pretty damn depressing.

As you'd expect, plenty of uncertainty. Quite a few people worried they might lose their jobs, be forced to relocate their families or find work elsewhere in the UK which offers the same opportunities and pay.

For me though, now that's it's sunk in, I'm still upset and annoyed about what's happened but also pretty excited about the opportunity too. Still lots to figure out, my girlfriend won't be moving (at least initially), so that's something that's worrying me a lot but the prospect of something that could be a fresh start is pretty exciting.

Philly40

Way to go

screen_shot_20160624_at_11.39.26_am.png.CROP.original-original.39.26_am.png

Maybe Cornwall can have a Trident submarine base, because that might be back on the cards as an unintentional side-effect of this referendum.

Massive government spending - yay!
Significant decrease of tourism and house prices - booo!

Valkyria

Banned
The world is not ending, but UK and EU are gonna be a worst place from now on. If you are ok with that in exchange for whatever you believe are getting leaving the EU, that's ok. But don't expect everyone to see the situation with the same glasses.

sphagnum

Banned
For decades, the major political parties throughout the developed world have been cutting taxes, chipping away at social services and public investments, advocating privatization, deregulating finance, and generally satisfying a small number of economic ideologues and a very large number of delighted private corporations. They've allowed transnational capital to run roughshod over just about everyone and everything else — cutting them every possible deal and extending them every possible advantage at the expense of ordinary taxpayers, labor unions, education, healthcare, social welfare, you name it. Transnational capital has rewarded them by moving anything that can be done more cheaply out of the developed world, and by doing contortions to avoid paying taxes back into the countries in which they hawk their goods and services.

The justification has often been that we can't afford our old ideas about society, that we all have to tighten our belts; meanwhile, trillions of dollars languish in offshore accounts. We've been told that the complete failure to regulate financial instrumentation or the housing market was somehow our fault, that government is wasteful and corrupt, that it can't do anything, that public services are always inefficient, that the welfare state is making us all poorer, that bureaucracy is always bad for business, that equitable federalism is impossible, that losses must be public, that gains must be private, that trade between nations is a zero-sum game, that only a few people can be wealthy, and only if they work hard.

Meanwhile, the bitter legacy of colonialism, coupled with a century and half of industrialization that has demanded repeated foreign misadventures and sustained environmental devastation, has turned the parts of the world that we depend on to fuel our batshit society into a cauldron of war, suffering, and extremism. Now those brown people who used to do our bidding for pennies are coming here, often because we have ruined their homeland (directly, through war; indirectly, through climate change), and they are the problem. We simply can't afford them. No, don't crunch the numbers. Don't check our figures. Don't ask about the offshore accounts. We're telling you: They are the problem. Getting rid of these dusky foreigners will bring back the industries we gutted, the services we dismantled, and the jobs we sold. Things will be just like the old days. Promise! But to do that, we have to try some more austerity, and we have to get rid of the bureaucrats. It's the only way.

Might as well move this to the OP.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Man watching BBC news asking the leavers why they voted to leave is depressing.

Immigrants immigrants immigrants.

I saw a clip of some woman and they started the report like "so-and-so has no job and no council house" and it ended with them panning over to a Greggs sign. Pretty shameless. Somebody on that production team was obviously bitter about it.

trembli0s

This post, brilliant.

Audioboxer

It's the exact same as the Scottish referendum. Bitter, bitter hyperbole.

Except now that Scottish bitterness has a bit of merit considering the vow firstly was horseshit and now the promise about the EU is... also horseshit lol.

Point being a lot of us Scots knew never to trust a Tory or Westminster.

kharma45

Really? Under those circumstances? The incumbent actively wants an election to gain a working mandate, the opposition wants to kick them out and gain power? Labour would have to be riding pretty high in the opinion polls to scare the Tories away from their Whips and voting no to dissolution.

To try going ahead without after Gordon Browns failed parliament would be political suicide come the current next scheduled general election in 2020. It'd be 3-4 years of the press haranguing them for not having a mandate to govern form the people.

I can see your point, but I very much doubt it. Time will tell, much like all of this.

platocplx

What's the Tech sector job market like and teaching?

Im not sure totally. Heres an article from last year about the tech sector:http://business.financialpost.com/n...and-vancouvers-office-markets?__lsa=bf42-8fce, I have family members who are doing really well in Toronto. Also the company i work for is doing business with a utility there. Ive been several times and there is absolutely a lot to like. Cost of living is kind of high however. My aunt has a million dollar home there, saw homes about an hour away that cost upwards of 300k at times. So there are a lot of things to factor in.

Way to go

screen_shot_20160624_at_11.39.26_am.png.CROP.original-original.39.26_am.png

hilariously sad.

MrS

Banned
This news makes me feel so down, so sad that I live in a country with so many xenophobic bigots. English people are more concerned with building walls rather than bridges, just so disheartening.
Why don't you build a bridge and get over the result, pal?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Judging by some statements here and elsewhere, one might get the crazy impression that Merkel is the Empress of Europe, and not a politician who actually failed to rally Europe behind her position in the migrant crisis.

Ashes

Banned

The BoE put up £250bn. God knows only how much the rest of the central banks put up. But it had to be done.

Judging by some statements here and elsewhere, one might get the crazy impression that Merkel is the Empress of Europe, and not a politician who actually failed to rally Europe behind her position in the migrant crisis.
It's really strange. If Merkel had all the power, then she certainly isn't using it very effectively lately.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
They had a poll here in NL today. 36% want a referendum, 54% oppose having one. 56% supports Dutch EU membership, 30% oppose it. I can't speak for anywhere else, but it ain't happening here.

Prime Minister Wilders will change your minds with his easy charisma and convincing argumentation. I'm sorry. I'm really sorry I just said that. There's a limit even to my deadpan sarcasm. You guys don't deserve this.

Guy.brush

Magneto-perfection.gif

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
You'd be even more proud to learn he most commonly mentioned reason for opposing a Dutch departure from the EU. 34% mentioned "The ideal of European unification, cooperation, peace, and security"

*tears*
This is basically word for what I said earlier last night about the EU.

Why you need to leave over EU inmigration when is not a problem?

Or better yet, why it's a problem (less than 3% of net inmigration), when you are clearly lacking workforce in certain sectors and EU and immigration in general is helping to fill that hole?
"Immigration!" is the short-sighted answer for other issues people see.

Under-funded/staffed NHS. Not enough school places. Not enough/expensive housing.

They think oh, if those 270k people hadn't come here this year then I would have been seen by Dr. Dre to cure my eczema in a matter of minutes and afterwards I can pickup my child from my first choice school and driver her home to our 5 bedroom bastard house.

It is unlikely things will swing round in quite the way I think these people expect they will. Especially as we're unlikely to turf out the people who are already here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom