• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

platocplx

Judging by some statements here and elsewhere, one might get the crazy impression that Merkel is the Empress of Europe, and not a politician who actually failed to rally Europe behind her position in the migrant crisis.
It honestly was a noble one as well. Its sad that people cant see the need there, and even fathom what if it was them. We need eachother and I hope one day more people can see that the true key to a better society is being interdependent on eachother and look out for eachother more than just worry about our own petty, misguided self interests.

Guy.brush

You'd be even more proud to learn he most commonly mentioned reason for opposing a Dutch departure from the EU. 34% mentioned "The ideal of European unification, cooperation, peace, and security"
sSJQgmW.gif

Tyaren

They had a poll here in NL today. 36% want a referendum, 54% oppose having one. 56% supports Dutch EU membership, 30% oppose it. I can't speak for anywhere else, but it ain't happening here.

Those aren't really reassuring numbers. If the puplic opinion just slips bit towards one direction it's pretty similar to what we have in the UK now. :/

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
From earlier on the Big Decision, Conservative MEP and Leave campaigner Dan Hannan said there was no promise to reduce immigration by leaving the European Union.

He told the programme that Vote Leave had "never said there is going to be some radical decline, that we're going to shut the door".

521.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I'm surprised to see anything remotely positive about the vote to leave in this thread.

So many experts on GAF saying the world is about to end because over half the country chose to exercise their democratic right to vote out of the EU. I'm sure they are right because there are so many of them in this thread.

The process hasn't even officially started yet. Don't worry, there'll be plenty of time to gloat when the UK zips past the entire EU's economy sometime in 2020, I'm sure.

Kabouter

Those aren't really reassuring numbers. If the puplic opinion just slips bit towards one direction it's pretty similar to what we have in the UK now. :/

You'd still need a parliamentary and senatorial majority to have a referendum. The PVV is the only real party that supports a referendum on EU membership. They have neither a parliamentary nor a senatorial majority, and are extremely unlikely to attain either.

Crumpo

The process hasn't even officially started yet. Don't worry, there'll be plenty of time to gloat when the UK zips past the entire EU's economy sometime in 2020, I'm sure.

It's not about beating the EU. Nice attitude, though.

Our GDP will not be as strong outside the EU as it will within.

geordiemp

There's a lot of focus on the FTSe100, but it's also worth keeping a very close eye on this going forward...

http://www.londonstockexchange.com/...ndices/summary/summary-indices.html?index=MCX

I'm sure most who are interested in the financial fallout of the vote already are though...

Other EU markets were much worse, we all need to find a way to make things better.

Whats done is done, the scary thing is so many posters wanting a revenge sentiment, which is bad for everyone.

You'd still need a parliamentary and senatorial majority to have a referendum. The PVV is the only real party that supports a referendum on EU membership. They have neither a parliamentary nor a senatorial majority, and are extremely unlikely to attain either.
The SP supports one for limiting EU power I think? Not the same as leaving, but still.

Dabanton

Was it difficult to move there? I'm very keen on it.

I'm in Vancouver, though also have friends from England who moved from the UK to Toronto.

Not going to lie moving countries is stressful as the paperwork is crazy (though thankfully a lot of that was dealt with by legal) But when you weigh up the benefits. Better air, better living standards, less stress. Just makes things worth it. Even more so after this vote.

My SO and me have come in on a two year work visa that will be renewed and paid for by our company. Not sure what kind of industry you work in. Film, Visual effects and tech seem to be what a lot of new people from the UK I know are coming over here to work in.

Before this vote we were planning to get PR (Permanent Resident) here. These results have hardened those plans.

I'm expecting a rush and a brain drain on the UK of those that wish to seek work opportunities elsewhere.

Issues of immigration and race have played an undeniable part in this election. I'm not sure to what extent generally though, as most of the leave voters I know don't seem to rank immigration particularly highly.

I must add though; the coffee shop middle classes in the Remain camp who are currently bombarding Facebook etc with cries of 'Racism' and 'Xenophobia', should pause and take a long hard look at themselves.
For many years now we have heard grumblings of discontent, particularly from poor working class areas, at the failings of broken immigration policies and a drive for multiculturism that completely failed to address the critical importance of integration.
Instead, as they laughed into their cappuccino, those middle classes sitting in their nice, middle class surroundings, preferred to dismiss all concerns as the product of a lack of education and racism.
By ignoring these growing problems and casually dismissing large sections of the population they, and the politicians who did the same, have directly added to the growing sense of disenchantment and disconnect which fueled yesterday's result.

Crumpo

Might have miased it but Miles, how did you get on? Safe/fucked?

I still have a job today...some on my floor weren't so lucky

So will we see a backlash from leave voters about how they're still seeing foreigners daring to exist in their communities? Or about how the NHS won't get any increase in funding?

People really already got fired straight away? Damn.

Why is everyone trying to tell everyone to buy
Because over the last year we have seen multiple dips with the market recovering back to normal levels. Those were because of China then. So good money can be made if the same happens again.

More like 100x
Pfff.. I remember going to Paris in 2001 with 1 Franc in my wallet and having a 3 course meal and I still got some money back!

France leaving is completely ludicrous, who will subsidize their entire angriculture then ?
Canada?

Oh and congratulations to GB on being single again. Now on to political Tinder. Swipe right for Putin.

Yeah no , in 2001 , you needed 8 to 12 francs to get a 3 course meal and converted into euro it's less than 2 euros.
Now you'll need 4 times more

4times is not 10 nor 100.

Safe. Happy to hear you are too.

No-one lost their job on my end, at least that I know of. That's a small saving grace, couldn't have dealt with seeing anyone packing up their stuff, would have been too much with all the other emotions.

Lots of worried people though. Pretty tense throughout the day.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

A typical post in this thread.

The UK had a strong economy yesterday. It will have a strong economy tomorrow. Nothing will change despite the doom mongering of the skies are falling crowd.

legacyzero

Banned
Dont come to America, folks. At least until after November. If Trump gets elected, it's out of the frying pan and into the fire LOL

If that means no more terrorism flowing the borders, no more stupid laws and norms preventing our own firms from being competitive and no more unelected pricks dictating how we should behave then go ahead Brits.
Many terrorists are native born, so being in or out of EU would have zero effect.

Crumpo

Safe. Happy to hear you are too.

No-one lost their job on my end, at least that I know of. That's a small saving grace, couldn't have dealt with seeing anyone packing up their stuff, would have been too much with all the other emotions.

Lots of worried people though. Pretty tense throughout the day.

The party line came with a warning of restructures...either my department gets reclassified as something else or we are likely to get moved to Lux.

I was so angry today I almost cried at my manager today. I am a grown man and haven't cried since the opening of TLOU...fuck today.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

The UK had a strong economy yesterday. It will have a strong economy tomorrow. Nothing will change despite the doom mongering of the skies are falling crowd.

So to be clear, you disagree with the 90% of professional economists in the UK that we will almost certainly be worse off for leaving the EU and will probably experience a recession as a result of Brexit?

Irminsul

Do you hate experts too?

And if so, I mean, you did see posters in this very thread writing about things that have already changed for them, right?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Many terrorists are native born, so being in or out of EU would have zero effect.

It's incredible how many people still do not realize that Europe (and the UK in particular) has actually been exporting Islamic terrorism, not importing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom