• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
For decades, the major political parties throughout the developed world have been cutting taxes, chipping away at social services and public investments, advocating privatization, deregulating finance, and generally satisfying a small number of economic ideologues and a very large number of delighted private corporations. They've allowed transnational capital to run roughshod over just about everyone and everything else — cutting them every possible deal and extending them every possible advantage at the expense of ordinary taxpayers, labor unions, education, healthcare, social welfare, you name it. Transnational capital has rewarded them by moving anything that can be done more cheaply out of the developed world, and by doing contortions to avoid paying taxes back into the countries in which they hawk their goods and services.

The justification has often been that we can't afford our old ideas about society, that we all have to tighten our belts; meanwhile, trillions of dollars languish in offshore accounts. We've been told that the complete failure to regulate financial instrumentation or the housing market was somehow our fault, that government is wasteful and corrupt, that it can't do anything, that public services are always inefficient, that the welfare state is making us all poorer, that bureaucracy is always bad for business, that equitable federalism is impossible, that losses must be public, that gains must be private, that trade between nations is a zero-sum game, that only a few people can be wealthy, and only if they work hard.

Meanwhile, the bitter legacy of colonialism, coupled with a century and half of industrialization that has demanded repeated foreign misadventures and sustained environmental devastation, has turned the parts of the world that we depend on to fuel our batshit society into a cauldron of war, suffering, and extremism. Now those brown people who used to do our bidding for pennies are coming here, often because we have ruined their homeland (directly, through war; indirectly, through climate change), and they are the problem. We simply can't afford them. No, don't crunch the numbers. Don't check our figures. Don't ask about the offshore accounts. We're telling you: They are the problem. Getting rid of these dusky foreigners will bring back the industries we gutted, the services we dismantled, and the jobs we sold. Things will be just like the old days. Promise! But to do that, we have to try some more austerity, and we have to get rid of the bureaucrats. It's the only way.

This is so perfectly on point and well said that I want to frame it.

Carl2291

From Suzanne Evans' Facebook page, that someone just shared.

A Prime Minister resigned. The £ plummeted. The FTSE 100 lost significant ground. But then the £ rallied past February levels, and the FTSE closed on a weekly high: 2.4% up on last Friday, its best performance in 4 months. President Obama decided we wouldn't be at the 'back of the queue' after all and that our 'special relationship' was still strong. The French President confirmed the Le Touquet agreement would stay in place. The President of the European Commission stated Brexit negations would be 'orderly' and stressed the UK would continue to be a 'close partner' of the EU. A big bank denied reports it would shift 2,000 staff overseas. The CBI, vehemently anti-Brexit during the referendum campaign, stated British business was resilient and would adapt. Several countries outside the EU stated they wished to begin bi-lateral trade talks with the UK immediately. If this was the predicted apocalypse, well, it was a very British one. It was all over by teatime. Not a bad first day of freedom.

Watching Leave voters on BBC openly declare how great it is that their country is back and that how all the immigrants are going away, it's really quite a surprise how open the racism is. Like it's a badge of honor.

It's embarrassing but for a very long time now certain parts of the UK hasn't been able to tell the difference between:

• A non-EU Migrant
  • An EU Migrant
  • A Refugee
  • A native born citizen of any non-White ethnic minority
  • A holiday maker
  • A terrorist (usually presumed muslem/arbic)

All of the above are considered immigrants and presumed to be our of work sponging of our housing/benefits/nhs and/or stealing all our jobs.

Although if you are lucky enough to have an American or Australian accent then your automatically not an immigrant and presumed to be a holiday maker.

FStop7

Banned
Sent: Friday, June 24, 2016
To: EC LIST EVERYBODY
Subject: Message to staff

Dear colleagues,

Yesterday, the citizens of the United Kingdom voted to leave the European Union. This result makes me personally very sad – but I respect their choice.

I know that many of you are concerned about your future after this vote. I fully understand that. So I want to send a clear message to you, colleagues, and especially to colleagues of British nationality.

According to our Staff Regulations, you are "Union officials". You work for Europe. You left your national 'hats' at the door when you joined this institution and that door is not closing on you now. As European civil servants you have always been loyal to our Union, contributing tremendously to our common European project. And so it will be in this spirit of reciprocal loyalty that I will work together with the Presidents of the other European institutions to ensure that we can all continue counting on your outstanding talent, experience and commitment. I know you all have legitimate expectations about your rights and duties, your families who might have followed you to Brussels and your children who might be enrolled in schools here.

Let me assure you that I will do everything in my power as President of the Commission, to support and help you in this difficult process. Our Staff Regulations will be read and applied in a European spirit.

In the coming days and weeks, you will all have the opportunity to show the European Commission at its best. The eyes of the world will be upon us, expecting us to provide stability, act decisively and uphold Europe's values. I have every confidence in you. Together we will rise to that task.

SomTervo

It will go to an election right? I honestly don't have faith in the country regardless to do the right thing and not to vote for Boris but they will.

An election within the members of the Tory party, possibly. You don't vote for Prime Minister, just their party. The party chooses who is PM.

StNd

SilkyBoringHorsechestnutleafminer.gif

Well, this is just... wow. Thank you, I needed this!

FunkyMonk

To cope with current numbers we would have to build a new house every 5 minutes to handle demand.

Because we've been lagging behind demand for decades & no government wanted to risk the middle class vote by building more houses and lowering prices.

Still I'm sure that's the EUs fault too.

For decades, the major political parties throughout the developed world have been cutting taxes, chipping away at social services and public investments, advocating privatization, deregulating finance, and generally satisfying a small number of economic ideologues and a very large number of delighted private corporations. They've allowed transnational capital to run roughshod over just about everyone and everything else — cutting them every possible deal and extending them every possible advantage at the expense of ordinary taxpayers, labor unions, education, healthcare, social welfare, you name it. Transnational capital has rewarded them by moving anything that can be done more cheaply out of the developed world, and by doing contortions to avoid paying taxes back into the countries in which they hawk their goods and services.

The justification has often been that we can't afford our old ideas about society, that we all have to tighten our belts; meanwhile, trillions of dollars languish in offshore accounts. We've been told that the complete failure to regulate financial instrumentation or the housing market was somehow our fault, that government is wasteful and corrupt, that it can't do anything, that public services are always inefficient, that the welfare state is making us all poorer, that bureaucracy is always bad for business, that equitable federalism is impossible, that losses must be public, that gains must be private, that trade between nations is a zero-sum game, that only a few people can be wealthy, and only if they work hard.

Meanwhile, the bitter legacy of colonialism, coupled with a century and half of industrialization that has demanded repeated foreign misadventures and sustained environmental devastation, has turned the parts of the world that we depend on to fuel our batshit society into a cauldron of war, suffering, and extremism. Now those brown people who used to do our bidding for pennies are coming here, often because we have ruined their homeland (directly, through war; indirectly, through climate change), and they are the problem. We simply can't afford them. No, don't crunch the numbers. Don't check our figures. Don't ask about the offshore accounts. We're telling you: They are the problem. Getting rid of these dusky foreigners will bring back the industries we gutted, the services we dismantled, and the jobs we sold. Things will be just like the old days. Promise! But to do that, we have to try some more austerity, and we have to get rid of the bureaucrats. It's the only way.

Hear Hear.

Irminsul

Juncker was just asked on German TV station ZDF whether he thinks there still will be 27 countries in the EU in five years.

He said "Well, I originally said there will be no new members during my turn. But did you hear what the Scottish and the Northen Irish people are discussing?"

Valkyria

Banned
I doubt it, Italy is catching up on Greece, with Spain not far behind. Eu states are ina fucking mess, there is more to this story that will happen I can bet.

Only Germany and France I think and maybe someone else, but certainly not Italy or Spain...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financialcrisis/11221427/EU-budget-what-you-need-to-know.html

Uk france and Germany make most contributions (money in less money received)

Italy takes back as much as it pays. Its very imbalanced.

Why don't you just look at data and stop spiting nonsense?

Captura.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budget_of_the_European_Union
http://ec.europa.eu/budget/library/biblio/documents/2014/Internet tables 2000-2014.xls

Dabanton

How englishgaf must be feeling

planesunset.jpg

I left the country last year and I'm now in Canada. I knew it was going to be close but I'm not surprised at the final result.

Many of my friends in the creative industries are seriously looking at jobs overseas now. Lets see how many actually take the jump. With these results I'm going to guess many will take that huge step and seriously begin the process.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I left the country last year and I'm now in Canada. I knew it was going to be close but I'm not surprised at the final result.

Many of my friends in the creative industries are seriously looking at jobs overseas now. Lets see how many actually take the jump. With these results I'm going to guess many will take that huge step and seriously begin the process.

Was it difficult to move there? I'm very keen on it.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
An election within the members of the Tory party, possibly. You don't vote for Prime Minister, just their party. The party chooses who is PM.

I don't think the Tories could get away with installing Boris and a Brexit-based cabinet when 48% of the public voted to stay in the EU, not without having a general election. They need a clear mandate from the public to govern with any authority under these utterly changed circumstances.

UK must be proud that they never got the scam of a currency called "Euro" and never got into Schengen.

Euro zone = worst growth rate in the whole world.

How about Switzerland, I guess not being part of the EU is not too bad for them...

we will see. Switzerland had a referendum to establish contingents for immigration, which basically will guillotine all bilateral agreements with the EU. i cant imagine this will bode well for swiss economy once the bilateral agreements are gone.

ShogunX

It's embarrassing but for a very long time now certain parts of the UK hasn't been able to tell the difference between:

• A non-EU Migrant
  • An EU Migrant
  • A Refugee
  • A native born citizen of any non-White ethnic minority
  • A holiday maker
  • A terrorist (usually presumed muslem/arbic)

All of the above are considered immigrants and presumed to be our of work sponging of our housing/benefits/nhs and/or stealing all our jobs.

Although if you are lucky enough to have an American or Australian accent then your automatically not an immigrant and presumed to be a holiday maker.

I've just the solution to this my friend!!

colourx.jpg

Azull

Advice: if anybody is denying that there is Xenophobia they are too far gone. They are not capable of being reasoned with. You can try..but it's a waste of time.

It is abundantly clear that xenophobia played a role.

You're absolutely right but these drive-by shit posts are just the worst especially in a situation as serious as the UK is in at the moment. Should easily be bannable. Atleast it makes it easier to know who to put on ignore though.

Oh you look like a Muhamad Ali kind of guy? Really?

I'm not sure if you're being a racist twat, a drunken moron, or both?

Ricky 7

My family and I were just discussing whether we should move to Canada. The prime minister there seems so nice and I've heard that the people in general are nice too.

SomTervo

Applause.gif doesn't even do it justice

Mr. Sam

Brutally true.

They can't just call one with the Fixed term parliaments act.

Under the circumstances it wouldn't be so hard:

Section 2 of the Act also provides for two ways in which a general election can be held before the end of this five-year period:

If the House of Commons resolves "That this House has no confidence in Her Majesty's Government", an early general election is held, unless the House of Commons subsequently resolves "That this House has confidence in Her Majesty's Government". This second resolution must be made within fourteen days of the first.
If the House of Commons, with the support of two-thirds of its total membership (including vacant seats), resolves "That there shall be an early parliamentary general election".

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
From Suzanne Evans' Facebook page, that someone just shared.
A Prime Minister resigned. The £ plummeted. The FTSE 100 lost significant ground. But then the £ rallied past February levels, and the FTSE closed on a weekly high: 2.4% up on last Friday, its best performance in 4 months. President Obama decided we wouldn't be at the 'back of the queue' after all and that our 'special relationship' was still strong. The French President confirmed the Le Touquet agreement would stay in place. The President of the European Commission stated Brexit negations would be 'orderly' and stressed the UK would continue to be a 'close partner' of the EU. A big bank denied reports it would shift 2,000 staff overseas. The CBI, vehemently anti-Brexit during the referendum campaign, stated British business was resilient and would adapt. Several countries outside the EU stated they wished to begin bi-lateral trade talks with the UK immediately. If this was the predicted apocalypse, well, it was a very British one. It was all over by teatime. Not a bad first day of freedom.

I'm surprised to see anything remotely positive about the vote to leave in this thread.

So many experts on GAF saying the world is about to end because over half the country chose to exercise their democratic right to vote out of the EU. I'm sure they are right because there are so many of them in this thread.

Faddy

Banned
UK must be proud that they never got the scam of a currency called "Euro" and never got into Schengen.

Euro zone = worst growth rate in the whole world.

How about Switzerland, I guess not being part of the EU is not too bad for them...

Switzerland has freedom of movement and uncapped migration between the EU and itself. Little Englanders would never accept that.

geordiemp

Sure, the UK puts in a lot of raw cash, but that's more an effect of the UK being, you know, big and full of people and economy. But again: Its GDP contribution is the lowest. Out of all countries in the EU, it contributed the least per citizen, essentially.

Yeah I agree, but I am not hard up and live in nice part of south London.

You have to look at the £ 350 million per week and how that message was received by different parts of the UK, people struggling already paying UK tax and VAT.

Then we leave, I am sorry...tough shit to the EU....no point the EU bleating about this, Cameron asked for reform, he was offered barely anything of substance, just enough to allow him to lie his way to saying he had enough to promote remain

if the EU falls, then they can look back on themselves safe in the knowledge if they had not been tossers we would of stayed

Why you need to leave over EU inmigration when is not a problem?

Or better yet, why it's a problem (less than 3% of net inmigration), when you are clearly lacking workforce in certain sectors and EU and immigration in general is helping to fill that hole?

TrueBlue

I'm surprised to see anything remotely positive about the vote to leave in this thread.

So many experts on GAF saying the world is about to end because over half the country chose to exercise their democratic right to vote out of the EU. I'm sure they are right because there are so many of them in this thread.

I honestly think it's mostly just venting fresh off the result. Give it a few days and I imagine things will die out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom