• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is that racism or xenophobia ?

People from Peshawar or Mogadiscio wouldn't want their city to become London or Manchester then why is the other way around not acceptable ?

Uncontrolled immigration and no integration policy is driving my country and many other European societies on the verge of civil war : 2 police officers killed at their home in front of their kids by an islamist just 2 weeks ago, just a few kilometers away from Paris.

When I go to Casablanca or Dakar I don't want them to be like any other Western Europe city.

Sorry for living a country that has been existing as a nation for more than 14 centuries with a rich and dense history, culture, ethnic and religious background as the result.

Might as well call all the Polish and the Hungarian racists retards as basically 90% of their population want 0 refugee on their soil.

And there it is...

Mael

People from Peshawar or Mogadiscio wouldn't want their city to become London or Manchester then why is the other way around not acceptable ?

citationneeded.png

Uncontrolled immigration and no integration policy is driving my country and many other European societies on the verge of civil war : 2 police officers killed at their home in front of their kids by an islamist just 2 weeks ago, just a few kilometers away from Paris.

When I go to Casablanca or Dakar I don't want them to be like any other Western Europe city.

Sorry for living a country that has been existing as a nation for more than 14 centuries with a rich and dense history, culture, ethnic and religious background as the result.

Might as well call all the Polish and the Hungarian racists retards as basically 90% of their population want 0 refugee on their soil.

3% of net inmmigration.

3%.

Uncontrolled inmigration.

Too sensible.

You are asking for reason, and yet we have societies run amok standing against such things.

Nope. I don't ask that much from the gullible and uneducated. Just bothers me from time to time when I see these folks typically listening to old white men who couldn't care less...some of whom I associate with, learned from, received help in terms of a job via networking. I'm old and white too, but watching folks gut their own safety net or raise taxes on themselves because they'll become Greece soon stops being funny after while. Sad!

Again: Muslim immigration has nothing to do with the EU. The UK controls its own borders and is free to refuse people from outside the EU. There is no open border from these countries because of the EU. The EU is not forcing you to take in people from Pakistan, India, the Middle-East, Africa, or anywhere else.

This little vote the Brits made caused just about every american with a stock portfolio lose thousands of dollars overnight.
Finally some payback for 07/08 ;)

Crumpo

Fuck man.

I know it's hard and almost pointless in suggesting it right now, but try to stay positive. We'll have a much view of things on Monday, try to enjoy the weekend if you can.

Thanks. I have just needed to vent my frustration and shame today. I will start to be more positive about our situation as a country tomorrow.

Glad you made it through the week too

kavanf1

Safe. Happy to hear you are too.

No-one lost their job on my end, at least that I know of. That's a small saving grace, couldn't have dealt with seeing anyone packing up their stuff, would have been too much with all the other emotions.

Lots of worried people though. Pretty tense throughout the day.

The party line came with a warning of restructures...either my department gets reclassified as something else or we are likely to get moved to Lux.

I was so angry today I almost cried at my manager today. I am a grown man and haven't cried since the opening of TLOU...fuck today.

Similar story in my workplace (Scotland). It won't be immediate, they will play it safe and do all the right consultations and wait to see how the government proposes addressing the exit, but when the time is right, they will need to move to a location where they can sell within the Euro common market. Won't mean a loss of everything, but it certainly won't mean a betterment to the economy.

This little vote the Brits made caused just about every american with a stock portfolio lose thousands of dollars overnight.

Nothing little about it, it's one of the most unprecedented and historic moments of the last 40 years. Of course it has huge ramifications.

Oh man. If the Calais border gets moved to the English side and England has to deal with all that on home soil...

Mass refugee camps is just what that xenophobic lot will love. Christ.

So many interesting little developments today I never thought of before this.

GHG

what about the numerous examples of people interviewed this morning expressing regret because they didn't actually want to leave but voted that way?

What about the people who have been interviewed who don't regret it and have put forward arguments that don't involve immigration or migrants. Im watching BBC news right this very moment and they did a piece on county Durham where the people seemed to be level headed about their reasons for voting to leave.

Why do I not see stories like that posted here? Doesn't fit the narrative?

What about free trade deals it can now negotiate with other countries? There are always pluses and minuses. Things seem to be black or white for the majority of doom mongers in this thread. There are shades of grey a plenty. Should the UK have voted remain? Of course. This chicken little shtick is getting tiresome though.

Absolutely this is true. However, in my opinion:

Staying in EU - Guaranteed benefits of trade and common market, plus influence over Europe's direction.
Leaving EU - Guaranteed loss of EU benefits, possibility of other upsides on their own.

So it could work out fine and the UK could be ahead 20 years from now where they would have been in the EU. But you generally don't give up guaranteed benefits for the possibility of some other benefits, especially on the global nation-state scale where stability is paramount.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
If you're in favour of the UK 'taking back the reins of immigration' or whatever nebulous feelgood concept, then shouldn't you really be in favour of the Calais camps being moved to this side of the Channel anyway?

Crumpo

What about the people who have been interviewed who don't regret it and have put forward arguments that don't involve immigration or migrants. Im watching BBC news right this very moment and they did a piece on county Durham where the people seemed to be level headed about their reasons for voting to leave.

All for links, dude, hit us up.

btags

I have family in Hungary and they all think the government and portion of the population that do not want to support refugees are racist retards. So...yes.

I guess the best thing to do is post it yourself to counter others posting opposing views.

Dr.Acula

Banned
From Suzanne Evans' Facebook page, that someone just shared.

A Prime Minister resigned. The £ plummeted. The FTSE 100 lost significant ground. But then the £ rallied past February levels, and the FTSE closed on a weekly high: 2.4% up on last Friday, its best performance in 4 months. President Obama decided we wouldn't be at the 'back of the queue' after all and that our 'special relationship' was still strong. The French President confirmed the Le Touquet agreement would stay in place. The President of the European Commission stated Brexit negations would be 'orderly' and stressed the UK would continue to be a 'close partner' of the EU. A big bank denied reports it would shift 2,000 staff overseas. The CBI, vehemently anti-Brexit during the referendum campaign, stated British business was resilient and would adapt. Several countries outside the EU stated they wished to begin bi-lateral trade talks with the UK immediately. If this was the predicted apocalypse, well, it was a very British one. It was all over by teatime. Not a bad first day of freedom.

She knows that the referendum hasn't even been ratified yet, right? It's a little silly saying the economic consequences of leaving the EU were "over by tea time" when at this hour, the UK is still in the EU.

zou

The European Union and a series of arrogant, elitist governments and bureaucrats have failed the people of Britain.

Can anyone really be that surprised at the result? You see that arrogance in some of the comments in this very thread. There's nothing ignorant about the people who voted to leave. They've been disenfranchised and left out. This was their opportunity to strike back, and they took it.

Not everyone can be as enlightened as the progressive bastion that is North Korea

Carl2291

You're taking this too far now.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
She knows that the referendum hasn't even been ratified yet, right? It's a little silly saying the economic consequences of leaving the EU were "over by tea time" when at this hour, the UK is still in the EU.

Also to call it a 'first day of freedom' when the UK will still be part of the EU for two years even after invoking Article 50. But hey, the leaders of the Leave campaign have never had a particularly high regard for facts, so I suppose it's silly to think they might start now.

Oh, so on top of the racism you attack the disabled on as well. Coolcoolcool.

Joe

Another interesting tidbit is that from now on any American business that wants to do business in the European Union will be opening their offshore offices in the Republic of Ireland rather than England.

The inherent value of doing business in the EU in an English speaking country is massive.

oti

Banned
A typical post in this thread.

The UK had a strong economy yesterday. It will have a strong economy tomorrow. Nothing will change despite the doom mongering of the skies are falling crowd.

YES! This is totally how economy works! Nothing, let me repeat, NOTHING!, will change! UK leaving the single market? Nothing! UK having to re-negotiate trade terms that will never be as favourable as they were within said single market? Nothing! UK losing its influence over its biggest trade partner? Nothing!

N
O
T
H
I
N
G

W
I
L
L

C
H
A
N
G
E

How did you post this comment? Would it be possible for you to also post links to the things you say that are being said in the media from Leave voters? Or is something preventing you from doing it?

Foffy

Banned
Am I crazy or do some people think they just voted for the invention of a time machine?

People have an almost parasitic relationship to past, to memory, to what was, while scorching everything that is around them. Many of us fall into this hole, but some turn it into an idol.

These people are genuinely deranged. What else can be said? As long as the hope of the halcyon days is there, that's good enough.

Nope. I don't ask that much from the gullible and uneducated. Just bothers me from time to time when I see these folks typically listening to old white men who couldn't care less...some of whom I associate with, learned from, received help in terms of a job via networking. I'm old and white too, but watching folks gut their own safety net or raise taxes on themselves because they'll become Greece soon stops being funny after while. Sad!

My point was you want reason to be the compass of humankind in some sense.

Emotion and attachment to it is what people cling to, and that is almost always the bedrock of all human suffering in history.

You're asking for people to enter that 'fluke' state of reason when they'd rather scapegoat and blur their vision with smoke.

Make a scapegoat - especially of other people - and you have the social game humans play most.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status

Why are you talking about Mogadishu and Peshawar? What does this have to do with EU migrants?
I doubt there is a single person who wants any british city to turn in to either of them. What kind of stupid statement is this? How would this even happen? Do you even know the net migration figure in the UK?

The European Union and a series of arrogant, elitist governments and bureaucrats have failed the people of Britain.

Can anyone really be that surprised at the result? You see that arrogance in some of the comments in this very thread. There's nothing ignorant about the people who voted to leave. They've been disenfranchised and left out. This was their opportunity to strike back, and they took it.

The EU failed Greece, not Britain.

I still need to see a reasonable argument about EU failing Britain that isn't EU inmigration, which we know is not true. Specially when for years UK had a special status inside the EU.

Respect

Hmmm about that...

From earlier on the Big Decision, Conservative MEP and Leave campaigner Dan Hannan said there was no promise to reduce immigration by leaving the European Union.

He told the programme that Vote Leave had "never said there is going to be some radical decline, that we're going to shut the door".

Holy shit

rg8J5ec.png

Is the entire segment available online or is that all there is?

Even more people just on BBC news not knowing why they voted leave.

Surely there is no ignorance here...my mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom